Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2015 12:17:03 AM EDT
Any one have experience building a556 ar for a man of such huge size. I found a custom stock builder but any real life big men advice would be apreciated. He holds my cmmg 308 ar 10 ( I know there is no such things an ar 10:)) like a pistol. He is huge!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
One of my best friends is 6'7" and his dad is 6'9". They use normal 6 position stocks
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:23:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm only 6'5" and I use most 6 position stocks at the 4 or 5 setting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:45:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Ergo 93 and magpul SL stocks seem to have a bit more length than most stocks I have used.

As for everything else, I got nothing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:49:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The Magpul ACS and ACS-L stocks are some of their longest, also be sure to use at least a mid-length handguard if you're not going with a FF rail system...a carbine handguard would be just too small.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:54:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I think a standard AR would be fine. If you want a longer tube for him with a collapsible stock I think the A5 tube is longer. I don't see him needing anything longer than a carbine stock all the way out on a standard tube though.

Another good option could be an A2 stock. They're pretty damn long. (Longer than A1)
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#7]
a5 buffer tube.

as stickman said, have him shoot in a more modern position
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:46:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
as stickman said, have him shoot in a more modern position
View Quote

This.

I'm 6'4" and usually shoot with a 5 position tube with stock in the center position. I sometimes shoot a 9mm with stock completely retracted.

If he doesn't mind the weight the UBR stock is really nice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#9]
6'9" here: I shoot either a standard 6position in the last notch or an A2 just fine. The comment above about hand guards is 100%. A rifle length or midlength is better.
I don't have any problems shooting my 7.5 SBR with a UCIW stock though.
I shoot bladed to the target, the way uncle sugar taught before armor.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm 6'4" and I love the length of an A2 stock. When I use collapsable stocks I end up adjusting them to the same length without thinking about it. Your friend has a few inches on me but I don't know that he will need anything custom for the gun to feel right.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll second the motion to go with the VLTOR A5 buffer tube - it'll net a little more LOP. Also, go with a longer free float rail (I prefer Geissele, but there's lots of good options). The suggestion to work with modern shooting techniques may help as well, depending how deeply engrained past habits are.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm 6'6" and use sopmod or STR stocks set on either position 2 or 3.

The biggest thing for me is having a longer handguard, 10" minimum to be comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#13]
6'6" A1 or 6 position collapsible at 2 or 3.

If it was a .458 win mag I'd want a longer stock.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#14]
If you decide you really need a long stock, you can use a VLTOR A1 clubfoot with a VLTOR A5 receiver extension.  The A1 clubfoot is a fixed stock that works with rifle receiver extensions or carbine/A5 receiver extensions.  The way it is designed you can shorten it to A1 length or set it back well past A2 length (probably 5" longer if you wanted).  If used with rifle receiver extension it can only used at A1 length.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

His size isn't an issue, though the way he shoots might be.  Encourage him to shoot in a modern shooting stance, not bladed like in WWI.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any one have experience building a556 ar for a man of such huge size. I found a custom stock builder but any real life big men advice would be apreciated. He holds my cmmg 308 ar 10 ( I know there is no such things an ar 10:)) like a pistol. He is huge!

His size isn't an issue, though the way he shoots might be.  Encourage him to shoot in a modern shooting stance, not bladed like in WWI.  

Lol, I agree. I'm 6'9" and a Magpul sits on the ass end of my AR.  Works great.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm 6'6 and only extend a nomal stock out about 2-3 clicks.  Teach him nose to charging handle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm only 6', but use UBR stocks at the #2 position on all my AR's. I can't imagine he would need something longer than a fully extended stock. I shoot squared to the target, so his stance could be the bigger issue, as Stickman pointed out. He may also benefit from the PRS  stock, as the adjustable cheek-weld may come in handy for him if he has a hard time getting down on his sights. An elevated scope mount or "lower 1/3rd" red dot riser will also go well with the PRS to get things more comfortable for him.

I will also second (or third) the recommendation of a rifle length handguard (12" or greater).

I also like the Ergo Tactical Deluxe "fat grip".  It is substantially wider than most other grips out there, and his big hands will appreciate that.

Make sure you follow-up with pics of the finished build and your friends comments on our suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#18]
damn there's some giants in this thread.
I'm 6'1" and shoot on the 2nd to closest position using a Sopmod stock. NTCH.
But I don't think you would need to order a custom stock for him, change his shooting stance.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#19]

From my DL.

Quoted:
But I don't think you would need to order a custom stock for him, change his shooting stance.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh537/Williewvr/0D02FE64-5882-48EB-AFEB-A3760C64B12A-269-0000004DEB88FB2F_zps692905de.jpg

From my DL.

Quoted:

Armor Piercing?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#21]
an LMT DMR stock can get an absurdly long LOP. looks kind of goofy when it's extended all the way out though.

after that i'd say go with either a rifle length gun, or if free floating, an extended rifle length handguard. that should give him plenty of rail to grab on to. there are some bigger pistol grips too that you could get. and i'd want a curved/gloved trigger guard if my hands/fingers were that big.

pretty much covers everything i'd want to make sure was set up for me if i were that big.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh537/Williewvr/0D02FE64-5882-48EB-AFEB-A3760C64B12A-269-0000004DEB88FB2F_zps692905de.jpg

From my DL.

Quoted:

I didn't doubt yall one bit. yall just make me feel small as hell man. lol
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From my DL.

Quoted:

Those of us who are tall get the "everybody on ARFCOM is 6'5"" bull when we post about height. I just posted to clairify that I knew what I'm talking about.
( clarify doesn't look right but iPad changed it 4 times, grammar nazi may sue Steve Jobs if they are inclined.)
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

From my DL.

Quoted:

You're literally over a foot taller than I am.

Edit: On topic i have a friend whos 6'4 and has long gorilla arms, he can shoot my rifles fine they look like PDW's when he does but he has no problems.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Best tech thread ever. I'm 6' 2" and use Vltor in second position. Interesting input and topic. Cheek weld is good advice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm about 6'5, with a huge wingspan, gigantic hands(as in 3xl gloves, with fingers that are still too long sometimes for even a 3x).

I use a 6 position, with magpul stocks with the extended buttpad.  Depending on my position I use either fully extended, or at times one click in from full.  I have a very long LOP, to the point that some guns are almost unshootable.

That said, for me the most important part to have right is the grip.  The magpul moe+ is the only grip I've found that even comes close to fitting my hands, and is basically a necessity for me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm about 6'5, with a huge wingspan, gigantic hands(as in 3xl gloves, with fingers that are still too long sometimes for even a 3x).

I use a 6 position, with magpul stocks with the extended buttpad.  Depending on my position I use either fully extended, or at times one click in from full.  I have a very long LOP, to the point that some guns are almost unshootable.

That said, for me the most important part to have right is the grip.  The magpul moe+ is the only grip I've found that even comes close to fitting my hands, and is basically a necessity for me.
View Quote

Really?  I find the MOE to be too small. The Hogue, to me, feels bigger and more comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Really?  I find the MOE to be too small. The Hogue, to me, feels bigger and more comfortable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The finger grooves in the hogue is what keeps those from working.  The regular moe is way too small for me, it's the moe+ that works well.  Honestly the + is even too small, but is the closest fit I can find.  With a standard a2 grip, I can only use my middle and 4th finger on the grip.
Anything with finger grooves just plain doesn't work for me.  Even on a full size glock, especially the gen 3s, my pinky hangs down nearly completely off the grip.  I can only use gn 1 or 2 glocks.  My hands and general structure are just abnormally large though, even among big people.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#29]
6'4" and use all magpul fixed carbine stocks
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This! I'm huge compared to most, an amateur body builder turned power lifter. I use my stocks on the #4 position very comfortably and shoot well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
6'4" and use all magpul fixed carbine stocks
View Quote

Same here, just installed a Magpul MOE fixed stock for the first time (on my new Dissipator)...seems like it will work fine with the extended buttpad.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#32]
A2 Stock with 3 way adjustable buttplate...

It is what I use for my varmint rifle due to the long eye relief of my Leupold LR 6.5-20x.

From the prone I need about 2 inches of extra stock length.   I am 6ft4in tall.

For general use rifles with red dots or irons, i adapt to stocks much easier.

But some optics and long arms can be a bit picky.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I am 6 foot and I feel like a monster. How the fuck do you live being that tall!? I feel like me as tall as I am I already miss out on cars and bikes that I can't drive. How do you guys do it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am 6 foot and I feel like a monster. How the fuck do you live being that tall!? I feel like me as tall as I am I already miss out on cars and bikes that I can't drive. How do you guys do it?
View Quote

Buy what you find that fits, buy cars based on most room inside, buy ford trucks, prepare to restock any rifle you buy (15.75 LOP) and just plug along. It's not like we have any other option. I flew into BWI from Little rock yesterday on southwest (calling them greyhound air is a insult to Greyhound), every extra legroom seat on the plane was occupied by someone under 5'6" or wheelchair bound (multi stop flight, I got on in middle and off after 1 stop). The short people wouldn't trade seats and the wheelchair cases I won't ask. Before anyone says I should fly business and board first, I did. "You should fly a company with assigned seating" if any seats had been available on other carriers that got me here when I needed to be here I would have flown on them. Every time I fly Southwest I expect the aircrew to come down the isle asking for money to buy gas, it's like taking the drunks home at 2am.
Edit forgot where I was, I fly a lot lately.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't gave an option lol. I have a Chevy crew cab which I love but my ford excursion was the roomiest vehicle ever.

And for stylish clothes surprisingly a store called buckle sells jeans. Size 38 x 38. Although expensive ranging from $100 to $150.  
It's not as bad as you'd think.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Don't gave an option lol. I have a Chevy crew cab which I love but my ford excursion was the roomiest vehicle ever.

And for stylish clothes surprisingly a store called buckle sells jeans. Size 38 x 38. Although expensive ranging from $100 to $150.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/

My wife buys me their "Ballroom Jeans".  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:21:31 AM EDT
[#37]
My best friend is 6'6" and uses normal stocks, whether fixed or collapsible.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#38]
The longest fixed AR stock I've ever seen is the Cav Arms Mk 1 stock.  Put up a WTB ad in the EE & had one in a week.  It's significantly longer than a Mk 2 stock.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My best friend is 6'6" and uses normal stocks, whether fixed or collapsible.
View Quote

Probably like a lot of us, it's not what he wants, it what he has so he makes it work. I have an AR with A1 style fixed stock. I can shoot it just fine, 5.56 isn't a recoil round. Give me a large bore mag and I want the thing to fit right. I spent two years breaking a flinch caused by a 45/70 Ruger #3 and hot hand loads. Bill Ruger felt 12 3/4 LOP was fine on a rifle, he was 5ft something so it probably was, for him, but it was too short for anyone else. The world has stopped fitting the gun to the shooter opting instead to adapt the shooter to the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#40]
My brother is 6'5",  He was late to the firearms life style and got into it because he was training up to join the service.  When he first started shooting and learning BRM and all around fundamentals, he started on bone stock  M16 & M4 variants to try and cover anything he would possibly have to qualify with.  He says that's the best thing he ever did because now he has a shooting style around the system instead of modifying the system to him.  In hind sight he feels it was the best thing he did because he is  A) used to anything issued  and   B) can pick up any system of that type either on the civ or gov side and run it with no issues because he's used to it.  I hope that helps. It's nuts how many tall drinks are in here. LoL
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:33:10 AM EDT
[#41]

I'm 6'4 get an old tactical duo stock- his neck and shoulder will thank you.

It has enuf reach to get in the pocket and allow the big shooter not to hunch.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#42]
6ft. 6in. And I use MOE buttstock and a MOE midlength forend.  Learned to shoot M16A2 in the USMC.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#43]
As you can see we are all over 6'5" so it really doesn't matter. You might tell him to take a class or practice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm 6'4, use a vltor emod 2 clicks out on my recce, and a magpul ctr 3 clicks out on my irons gun. In both cases, I have a 13 inch free float handguard (ALG and geissele) so I can get my hand out further to help with the balance.

I'm thinking about ditching the ctr for a sopmod however.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm 6' 7" and use a Vltor A5 RE with Magpul ACS-L.

For grip I have LaRue A-PEG. Rail is Troy (save it, it's old) 13 or 14.7 can't remember off hand.

I usually have my stock out a couple of clicks but could go all the way out.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#46]
We had him measured and he needs six more inches than an a 2 at max length. We are lucky enough to have a serious custom stock builder near by, he is taking onthe challenge we are go,nig with an adjustable skeletonized stock that will function much like and ak undefolder with a custom adjustable cheek weld. It is a total custom stock made of carbon fiber, stainless and kydex and a wicked gear sytem my buddy invented. It will collapse under folder with a 30 round p mag. I will post pictures when finished in October his arms are like the size of my entire body, with a 20 inch barrel it looks good and has good balance the plus is the stock will be removable and does not mount to the tube so he can use it on any ar he wants with quick release possibilities. I appreciate all the wonderful feed back. This community is very special and I am honored to be part of it. Next up is building him a 308 pistol.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I gotta see this, please don't forget to post pics when it's done.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Since an A2 stock is fixed length I'm confused. The LOP on an A2 is 13.5 inches (standard length for most bolt action rifles) IIRC, are you sure he needs a 18.5 LOP? Dude must have 50 inch long arms or someone doesn't know how to measure a stock correctly. I'm 6'9" and wear a 19x39 shirt, I shoot a 15 3/4-16 1/2 LOP depending on the stock design. Shotgun stocks need to be about 3/4 shorter tha a rifle stock for me. I can get to close to my length with a M4 style stock, a 6 position tube and a 1/2- 3/4 rubber pad ($10 gun show find type). The magpul stocks on a 6 position tube with their 3/4 pad is also pretty close.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top