[#1]
"  ARFCOM GET BOTH "

...and then get a 308 too

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]

double tap KAPOOYA KAPOOYA
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep a bare bones M-4 because I like to slow down and shoot the iron sights. (It's also my travel AR)
It's sister is a more modern middy.

Just a couple of complete Bravo Company AR's.......

The M-4 has an ALG QMS trigger and the LW Middy is rockin' a Geissele G2S.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
None of my AR's are KISS.

All my AK's are. I just love bare bones stock Kalashnikovs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the simpler or 'mil-style' ARs too. I did finally give in to optics - I have an EOTech on one and an ACOG on the other.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

double tap KAPOOYA KAPOOYA
View Quote

Lol! At least it's better than pew pew.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have come full circle. I still have my more advanced rifles but I mostly fondle my simple ARs these days. I got tired of everyone's gun looking like a race gun...
Currently building a 14.5 w/A2X plain-Jane M4 carbine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Mil-Spec M4A1, as issued today, includes the KAC RAS, MaTech rear sight, CompM4/S or ACOG, a sling and foregrip. The only addition that isn't always issued would be a light, and maybe the foregrip/rail covers if one doesn't get the full kit.

That's fairly basic, all's said and done, and it seems to be the best definition of simplicity; everything you need, and nothing you don't. An optic is a necessity for shooting in the dark, and the rail is the best way of attaching a light. It can also multi-task, allowing your preferred sling point and a place to mount a forward grip, if desired.

And as others said, a weaponlight is ALWAYS necessary. Half your life is going to be dark, and if you do not ID your target, you might end up hesitating on a bad guy or shooting someone innocent. Either one can and will cost you your life, either in prison or in the ground. Flash the target to get good ID and blind them, then engage at your discretion. It ain't rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Owning a non-modded, KISS rifle is like owning a classic car. You love the beauty and feel the nostalgia, but there's a reason that car is a "classic". The things that make the new models different aren't just "changes", they're "upgrades".

Most new modifications on vehicles are all additions that have not only improved efficiency, but also ease of use. The new weapons technology is no different.

Obviously some of the garbage upgrades are completely unnecessary, but some are extremely useful, and once you've acclimated yourself to having them, going back to the "old school" M16 would be like giving up your power steering, power brakes and fuel injection in your vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#10]
My main AR has some fancy doodads on it but I try to keep it limited to what I feel like I need.

Colt M4 Carbine
Knights RAS with VFG
EOTech with 3x magnifier
Surefire weapon light
Magpul buttstock

My secondary AR is as simple as it comes,  a plain jane M16A2 clone.  I love the look of it and I'm really comfortable using it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:27:52 AM EDT
[#11]
All but (1) of my rifles are semi-Kiss. All have quick detach slings, TLR-1s' or Surefire lights, standard FSB's, and rear Troy BUIS'. I've tried the quality optics thing but have shot irons so long; I just never got comfortable with the optic. I even removed my 3x9x40 scope off my Recce and now just run the Troy BUIS' with only the light on the quadrail. It certainly lightened the rifle up considerably. A good proven rifle/carbine/middie with Magpul furniture, light, and a nice two point sling is what I love best. A fully loaded 14.5" barreled carbine or middy with the aforementioned weighing under 7lbs with a 20-30 round magazine is very wielding and extremely utilitarian to me. To each his own and of course YMMV... I would like to try a quality micro RDS for it's weight savings aspect however. Maybe that would win me over on the RDS'.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Sig line. The heavy trigger and fat front post would annoy me a bit, but otherwise, fo.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:27:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Owning a non-modded, KISS rifle is like owning a classic car. You love the beauty and feel the nostalgia, but there's a reason that car is a "classic". The things that make the new models different aren't just "changes", they're "upgrades".

Most new modifications on vehicles are all additions that have not only improved efficiency, but also ease of use. The new weapons technology is no different.

Obviously some of the garbage upgrades are completely unnecessary, but some are extremely useful, and once you've acclimated yourself to having them, going back to the "old school" M16 would be like giving up your power steering, power brakes and fuel injection in your vehicle.
View Quote

Christ, man, at this point, lights, ACOGs and aimpoints are getting to classic/old school status on ARs. They've been issued out on M4s long enough to get classic car tags in some states. If you want to included events like Son Tay, the idea of red dot style optics is almost as old as the M16 itself.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I think if it's for defensive purpose, a light is a necessity.  I don't have a red dot on my pistol, and a lot of people don't, so I think the whole red dot thing gets a little overblown.   Having said that I'm sure they help.  But if it's for room distances.....  I don't see how the ghost ring and a light isn't very effective.   But I don't own a red dot yet.  I probably will sooner or later.....
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I only do "plain and basic". The most outrageous AR I own is my A4 clone, and that's because of the Knight's RAS, SureFire light, and three point sling.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I only do "plain and basic". The most outrageous AR I own is my A4 clone, and that's because of the Knight's RAS, SureFire light, and three point sling.
View Quote

I cannot say the same, but I do have my share of plain and basic as you have seen. I also have an A4 clone plus many more that are modded out. I do like my old school ARs. They are what spurred my passion for them 37 years ago, starting out with a M16A1.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#17]
These days, I think what qualifies as "KISS" has changed, and rightfully so. If you think about it, of course it does, otherwise the KISS-only crowd would still be shooting flintlocks.

But to answer the OP's question, yes, I like the standard M4 quite a bit. However I really can not live with the A2 grip. It HURTS!! But give me a stock M4 "carry handle" carbine with a BCM grip and I'm happy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
These days, I think what qualifies as "KISS" has changed, and rightfully so. If you think about it, of course it does, otherwise the KISS-only crowd would still be shooting flintlocks.

But to answer the OP's question, yes, I like the standard M4 quite a bit. However I really can not live with the A2 grip. It HURTS!! But give me a stock M4 "carry handle" carbine with a BCM grip and I'm happy.
View Quote

I have large hands and the gap between the nub of the A2 and trigger guard is too small for my finger and will rub a blister in short order. Magpul MOE (K2 on the SBR) is a mandatory upgrade on ALL of my ARs.

Ok, I don't mean this as some kind of smart ass comment or insult to anyone, it's a serious question. Those of you who say you don't need a mounted light or optic of some kind for night use, have you ever seriously trained at night? To me having a mounted light and optic (red dot) makes a huge difference in target acquisition speed and precision vs holding a light and using irons.

The epitome of a true KISS rifle or carbine (to me) is one that is only equipped with items that help to maximize your overall proficiency with the weapon. It doesn't mean you have to limit (handicap) yourself to just iron sights. My go to carbine is an 11.5" SBR with fixed FSB, DD 1.5 fixed rear sight, CASV-EL handguard, KAG, iMod stock, K2 grip, sling mount, PRO, and a light. That's not a typical KISS build by any stretch to a lot of people, but to me it is. Everything that is on that list serves a function and is there for a reason, and for me it just flat out works.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why handicap yourself?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why handicap yourself?

I am really not super picky when it comes to what I shoot but optics and all that do make it a lot easier (esp at night).  That being said, my two rifles right now are a Draco underfolder (or at least is in the process of getting converted to one right now) and a stock Colt 6933.  I just couldn't justify having as expensive of a setup as I was running considering I'm still a full time student... plus dating a girl that i have to fly to see .  Unfortunately ARs aren't the only thing that cost $$$ in this world .  I do think the basic M4 look is sexy as fuck tho.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Guys, you need to remember, the topic is about "Basic, mil-spec looking AR-15s" and not K.I.S.S. AR-15s. This would include any AR-15 that resemble its military counterpart and would be void of optics, quad rails, lasers, and weaponlights. Basic, mil-spec looking AR-15s would have iron sights only.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why handicap yourself?
View Quote

You said it right!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like KISS rifles

View Quote

So do I. All I need is a sling and a red dot optic.

I can attach a small Surefire light if I have to.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top