Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2015 6:58:04 PM EDT
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a mid-length upper in 5.56 with a 16" government profile barrel. Its primary use is going to be recreational target shooting with 55gr and M885 ammunition. I'm going to start with iron sights but I may add an optic eventually. I don't foresee shooting 68 or 75 grain bullets with it. There are two options I am looking at. First is a PSA upper with the CHF FN barrel in 1:7 twist. The other option is a Rock River Arms upper with a 1:9 chrome lined lightweight barrel. I'm having trouble figuring which is going to be better for my purposes. My main concerns are accuracy and durability. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered BCM's offerings? They come w/a free Mod 0 comp and $69 gets you one of their excellent bcg's w/a Gunfighter CH: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-16-Mid-Length-Group-s/27.htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=27&show=100&page=1
Tomac
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
PSA.   FN CHF barrel, currently on sale, and with free shipping.    It will be accurate, reliable, and you can't get a more durable barrel for the price.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Click HERE
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you looked in the Equipment Exchange?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
BCM or Spikes and no regrets!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a mid-length upper in 5.56 with a 16" government profile barrel. Its primary use is going to be recreational target shooting with 55gr and M885 ammunition. I'm going to start with iron sights but I may add an optic eventually. I don't foresee shooting 68 or 75 grain bullets with it. There are two options I am looking at. First is a PSA upper with the CHF FN barrel in 1:7 twist. The other option is a Rock River Arms upper with a 1:9 chrome lined lightweight barrel. I'm having trouble figuring which is going to be better for my purposes. My main concerns are accuracy and durability. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
View Quote

Go with the PSA CHF, I've 2 carbine length and their excellent values for the money. I also plan on adding a PSA 16" CHF middy down the road and I already own a BCN 16 CHF version
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a RRA 16" lightweight middy that ran flawless. My only complaint was that it was pretty over gassed.

I currently have a BCM pinned 14.5" middy and 11.5 carbine that I absolutely love. BCM delivers quality, solid, mil-spec parts and their custom service is excellent.

I've never owned anything by Spikes but have always heard that they turn out quality rifles.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:44:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Click HERE
View Quote

I love spikes, but I'd rather get a BCM
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Click HERE

Just throwin' out a good deal for him.  I like them both.  Haven't priced a BCM lately, was at the AIM site when he posted
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#10]
BCM is top notch
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the suggestions. So I gather the 1:7 twist rate in most of these offerings should serve as well as the 1:9 twist RRA barrel for my intended purpose? It is nice to see so many options in my price range. I've read lots of good things about BCM and that's the direction I'm presently leaning.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#12]
With BCMs current pricing it is hard to beat.

I would get one of their Enhanced Light Weight barrels for a multi-use rifle
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Spikes CHF.  Spikes CHF barrels come in a hybrid "Optimal" profile with is halfway between Govt profile and Lightweight, giving you rigidity with a lighter weight.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#14]
BCM
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd go BCM just for the free hat and stickers
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out Aero Precision 16in mid-length.  They offer 12in quadrail, m-lok,  or keymod.  And 15in mlok or keymod.  The 12in rail starts at 415.  I bought the mlok version and love it real light weight
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the suggestions. So I gather the 1:7 twist rate in most of these offerings should serve as well as the 1:9 twist RRA barrel for my intended purpose? It is nice to see so many options in my price range. I've read lots of good things about BCM and that's the direction I'm presently leaning.
View Quote

1/7 is one of the most versatile twist rates you can get.

It can stabilize pretty much anything from 50 grains on up*.

*Less to do with twist rate and more with bullet construction
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
PSA.   FN CHF barrel, currently on sale, and with free shipping.    It will be accurate, reliable, and you can't get a more durable barrel for the price.
View Quote

This gets my vote.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:42:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I would also recommend a 1/7 twist barrel.  Do you think you will EVER shoot M856 (64gr tracer round)?  This is why current mil rifles sport a 1/7 twist, because the tracer bullet is so long.  It needs the tighter twist to stabilize it.  1/7 twist, as said, is a very versatile option, and unless you are planning to shoot 40gr V-Max bullets, you should be just fine with a 1/7 twist.  As for the other options, I wouldn't hesitate with either a BCM or PSA upper.  Whichever is in stock and meets your budget.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Spikes CHF.  Spikes CHF barrels come in a hybrid "Optimal" profile with is halfway between Govt profile and Lightweight, giving you rigidity with a lighter weight.
View Quote

I have one of these and it's nice. I believe palmetto offers it too but with a different profile name.

CHF is what I'd go with though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hello,

Thanks,
Ken
View Quote

The PSA is a great price at $384 with an FN barrel.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

But...  no bolt carrier , bolt ,charging handle or handguards.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

70$ and you get a great ch, bcg
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a PSA middie, and it's an absolute tack driver. The 1:7 twist will stabilize the 77 grain OTM bullet which is becoming more popular these days. Can't argue with PSA's price point.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Have you considered BCM's offerings? They come w/a free Mod 0 comp and $69 gets you one of their excellent bcg's w/a Gunfighter CH: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-16-Mid-Length-Group-s/27.htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=27&show=100&page=1

Tomac
View Quote
+1

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top