Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2015 12:29:26 PM EDT
Is there anything I should worry about with a little more spring force?  I have a slightly overgassed 18" mid with rifle buffer and put in a tubb's 308 spring.  It ran perfectly with 30 rounds each of hornady steel match 55gr and am.eagle 50gr varmint tip. Moved ejection from 2 to 4 compared to regular 223 rifle spring. Groups all about 3-4cm @ 100m so very happy with 35 cent/rd ammo.
-Spikes with lw50 1:8 barrel
-budget $200 optic: Burris ff2 4.5-14x42,  Warne rings
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it's working perfectly.
David Tubbs has stated that he has a fair amount of customers that run the .308 spring in .223 AR's.
Unless problems occur I'd keep running it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Under the right conditions a stronger spring may cause short stroking sooner than it would have happened otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Over gassed is good in my opinion. I want more energy than needed to run the action when given a choice.

You may discover heavier bullets are under gassed. They use less powder than 55's.

As long as it's reliable I'd leave it alone.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The "standard " Tubb flat wire spring is 20% heavier than a stock AR spring.  Your gun is probably more than "slightly" over-gassed if you can run the .308 spring!

My ArmaLite M15 with 16 inch barrel and mid gas system runs perfectly with a Tubb spring and H2 buffer. IMHO, I believe in running the heaviest spring/buffer combo that will still function in a gun.

Anyone want to donate a H3 buffer for me to do some testing with?

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Sounds like a keeper then.  What drew me to the spring in the first place is that I like the more consistent spring force through the cycle (more than standard when bolt is unlocking yet less when it is compressed).
I put one in my orc308 and it helped solve a more serious overgassed issue.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Sprinco Red and an H3, or ADM Reliability buffer is a stout setup I have used to calm my DD 10.3.  Not sure how the Red spring compares to the Tubbs.

ETA on my ORC 16" mid .308 I have the Sprinco Orange spring, and an H .308 buffer.  Works perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Standard buffer spring load
Bolt in battery: 7.2 lbs
Bolt locked open: 16.5 lbs

Standard buffer spring variation: 7.5 lbs
Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Spring
Bolt in battery: 11.1 lbs
Bolt locked open: 15.0 lbs

Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Spring variation: 3.9 lbs

-tubb's website

I think this is AR15 so AR10 would just be a little higher for both.
AK511, I was going to try that but had an extra heavy ar15 carbine buffer already and wanted to move to an Armalite r.e. anyway.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top