Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 2:05:51 PM EDT
Hey all,

I know the basics when it comes to a Dissipator type AR (CAR length barrel, rifle length sight radius and handguards).  What I am lacking is knowledge in the following:

1) Are stocks typically fixed or sliding, or are both common?
2) Which gas system do they have?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You answered yourself on question 2. CAR=carbine gas

ETA I believe the originals were M4 stocks(sliding).
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey all,

I know the basics when it comes to a Dissipator type AR (CAR length barrel, rifle length sight radius and handguards).  What I am lacking is knowledge in the following:

View Quote

Midlength seems to be the flavor of the month for dissipators -
They a low-profile gas block under the handguards.

You can run fixed or sliding.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey all,

View Quote

Mine came with a fixed stock and the gas system was under the hand gaurd and not part of the front sight.

I completely tore mine apart and built around the heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The original  true "Dissipator" was coined and sold by Bushmaster in the early 90's.
16" heavy barrel, carbine gas system, full length handguards, M4 stock.
I have one unfired I bought in 1994.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
They can have rifle, middy or carbine gas. Mine is a middy. Use whatever stock type you prefer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The original  true "Dissipator" was coined and sold by Bushmaster in the early 90's.
16" heavy barrel, carbine gas system, full length handguards, M4 stock.
I have one unfired I bought in 1994.
View Quote

Yup. This is what mine was.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one of the AimSurplus GMP uppers.  It has a middle length gas system on an lightweight barrel.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#8]
The key item is the barrel diameter under the sight block. A .700 barrel diameter with .750 sight makes for an issue mounting it up. The makers fix it ordering complimentary parts. those of us in the field discover it too late.

I tried boring out a pencil barrel FSB but the forging is smaller, it broke out. I shimmed a clamp on Armalite with feeler gauge leaf but later just gave up and free floated it. That sight is now on a pistol.

The whole concept is to maximize the sight length for more accuracy, but if you clamp on an optic then you defeat the purpose. Dissy's are suited for carry handle iron sight builds for a different look. Low pro gas blocks for midlength gas under rifle handguards work, the FSB anchors the cap, it's mechanically feasible. But it's all about the barrel diameter and sight block having the same dimensions. .050" off is a huge no go.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Your best bet would be getting a pre-made barrel assembly or upper...PSA and Spikes seem to have very good dissy uppers, couldn't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Windham Weaponry makes a dissy upper now and also sells the barrels separately
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Windham Weaponry makes a dissy upper now and also sells the barrels separately
View Quote

Carbine length gas
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#12]
There's some Spikes 16" mid length gas,lightweight mock dissy barrels in the EE. They are accurate
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Fulton Armory selling some of the Colt Dissipators barrels and they're having a 10% off. I bought a barrel and it is lovely. It is a "true" rifle length and 1:12 twist. The gas port is a bit wider and you can notice it comparing side by side with another

Generally speaking commercial grade has a 1:7 or 1:9 twist barrel with a hidden carbine/mid gas system.

As far as fixed stocked, you can do whatever you want really.

The term dissipator was coined by Bushmaster in the early 90s when they made carbine gas in a rifle length hand guard. Originally during Vietnam special forces attempted to cut down the rifle barrel but that practice soon failed. You can see very rare shots of "dissipators" though they're just considered "sawed off" M16a1s in old photos of Vietnam. In the purest sense a m16a1 clone of the colt 605 series is the only "true" dissipator. Bushmaster version was a commercial reincarnation but made for reliability.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hey all,

View Quote

Not an expert so my opinion is a borderline speculation.
Dissipator originally had rifle length gas system. Me think :) a2 stock is more appropriate.
However right now dissipators are carbine or middy barrels with front sight tower located at the end of the barrel.
Which makes an ugly looking barrel IMHO.
Why not to free float your upper and add folding sight? Maybe it's just me but after toying with spikes gmp sissy from AIM I came to conclusion that it's a POS and sold it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dissipator originally had rifle length gas system. Me think :) a2 stock is more appropriate.
However right now dissipators are carbine or middy barrels with front sight tower located at the end of the barrel.
Why not to free float your upper and add folding sight? Maybe it's just me but after toying with spikes gmp sissy from AIM I came to conclusion that it's a POS and sold it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey all,

Before Bushmaster coined the term "Dissipator", people were cutting down rifle length gas barrels to 16". They were not the most reliable rifle though as the dwell time is very short. To me personally, they were the original Dissy's. Bushmaster then actually coined the term Dissipator for their carbine gas rifles with a rifle length front sight block. I'm not sure who first started doing mid length Dissipators, which are the current favorites.

There are those that get their panties in a bunch if you call anything other than Bushmasters design a Dissipator. To me, it's a generic name for any 16" barrel with a rifle  length FSB. Personally I love the Dissipator look.

What about your Spikes upper made it a "POS"?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt actually made the first "Dissipator" back in the 1960s called the Model 605. It had a 15" barrel with a rifle length gas system. I was basically a M16 with a cut-down barrel. It had a fixed stock (C or D type). It was their first attempt at a carbine. There were not many produced since they would not operate dependably. Back in the 1990s, Bushmaster introduced what was called a Dissipator. It incorporated a 16" barrel with a carbine gas system. Many Dissipators that were built later on were based on this same setup. Some guys built the 605 clones utilizing the rifle length gas system, but in order to make them function/cycle properly, the gas port had to be opened up. Most Dissipators built these days will not only have a carbine gas system, but many have the mid-length gas system. I have built two Dissipators. One with a carbine gas system and one with a mid-length gas system. The mid-length gas system is more fitting for a Dissipator. I am also in the process of building a 605 clone (w/ 1/12 twist barrel w/ rifle length gas system). As far as stocks go, you can use either a fixed or collapsible. I prefer the collapsible (carbine) stock myself.

My Dissipator with mid-length gas system.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Colt actually made the first "Dissipator" back in the 1960s called the Model 605. It had a 15" barrel with a rifle length gas system. I was basically a M16 with a cut-down barrel. It had a fixed stock (C or D type). It was their first attempt at a carbine. There were not many produced since they would not operate dependably. Back in the 1990s, Bushmaster introduced what was called a Dissipator. It incorporated a 16" barrel with a carbine gas system. Many Dissipators that were built later on were based on this same setup. Some guys built the 605 clones utilizing the rifle length gas system, but in order to make them function/cycle properly, the gas port had to be opened up. Most Dissipators built these days will not only have a carbine gas system, but many have the mid-length gas system. I have built two Dissipators. One with a carbine gas system and one with a mid-length gas system. The mid-length gas system is more fitting for a Dissipator. I am also in the process of building a 605 clone (w/ 1/12 twist barrel w/ rifle length gas system). As far as stocks go, you can use either a fixed or collapsible. I prefer the collapsible (carbine) stock myself.

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/jamesrea%202012/018_zpse84637c3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea%202012/018_zpse84637c3.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/jamesrea%202012/015_zps263c3aa6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea%202012/015_zps263c3aa6.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/jamesrea%202012/019_zpscc264941.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea%202012/019_zpscc264941.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice rifle. That is a PSA upper right?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Before Bushmaster coined the term "Dissipator", people were cutting down rifle length gas barrels to 16". They were not the most reliable rifle though as the dwell time is very short. To me personally, they were the original Dissy's. Bushmaster then actually coined the term Dissipator for their carbine gas rifles with a rifle length front sight block. I'm not sure who first started doing mid length Dissipators, which are the current favorites.

There are those that get their panties in a bunch if you call anything other than Bushmasters design a Dissipator. To me, it's a generic name for any 16" barrel with a rifle  length FSB. Personally I love the Dissipator look.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey all,

Exactly that - looks. Upper performs like thousands others but not free floated and with ugly FSP at the end. If I to buy upper for it looks it would be a different looking upper. In this case 16" barrel with 15" rail. Same result while better looking. To me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#20]
A free floated pencil barreled dissipator over mid gas with a folding FSB is pretty near the ideal AR setup for me.  I might even build one one of these days.  I'm surprised more people don't free float dissys.  There is no reason why they have to be delta ring setups.  The main benefit I see from a dissy setup is a carbine with long sight radius but with a front sight that doesn't float independently of the barrel.  The benefit is maximized by free floating.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/jamesrea%202012/018_zpse84637c3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea%202012/018_zpse84637c3.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/jamesrea%202012/015_zps263c3aa6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea%202012/015_zps263c3aa6.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/jamesrea%202012/019_zpscc264941.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea%202012/019_zpscc264941.jpg</a>

PSA upper, lower, and BCG. I bought the PSA Dissipator upper complete, but I had to change some things (handguards, FSB, and FH) in order to build this the way I wanted. I bought the lower stripped and built it the way I wanted as well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A free floated pencil barreled dissipator over mid gas with a folding FSB is pretty near the ideal AR setup for me.  I might even build one one of these days.  I'm surprised more people don't free float dissys.  There is no reason why they have to be delta ring setups.  The main benefit I see from a dissy setup is a carbine with long sight radius but with a front sight that doesn't float independently of the barrel.  The benefit is maximized by free floating.
View Quote

If you free-floated the handguard instead of having the Delta ring and handguard endcap being functional and holding the handguards in place, it would not be a Dissy. A true Dissipator uses rifle length handguards secured by the Delta ring and handguard endcap. Basically, if you set up a Dissy as you described, it would not be a Dissy and the FSB is really a waste. You would be better served with a rail mounted flip-up front sight with the free-float handguards.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Hey all,

View Quote

I have the Spike's version from Aimsurplus, it uses midlength gas:

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I got a Bushy M4 dissy.  Carbine gas length.

I built another variation of the dissy with a mid gas system.

I feel that the middy has a softer recoil.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top