Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2015 9:31:46 PM EDT
So I am looking to put a new trigger in my AR pistol as I convert it to a my first SBR.  I am leaning towards the Velocity trigger based on reviews, price, and go try something new.  This is going to be my first drop in trigger replacement so I have a few questions.

What is the difference between a 3, 4 or 4.5 pound trigger.  (Besides the weight of course!) Are certain weights better for different applications?  Recommend one more than another?  Or is it just a personal preference thing?  Any information yall can provide would be greatly appreciated.

This pistol, soon SBR, is eventually going to be suppressed and used around my ranch as a truck gun, plinker, target rifle and for hog hunting.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Velocity 4lb trigger in a range gun.  I like the 4lb weight, not too light and not too heavy but it's personal preference.  There is no difference other than the weight between the 3 you listed.  The Velocity triggers are great for the price.  You can get them for $115-$125 shipped from a few places.  Mine has very little travel, breaks clean and has a very smooth movement, no gritty feel at all.  It has a good audible reset if that's something you like.  Read the instructions/ watch the install video to make sure you install it correctly.  

You mention that this will be a truck/ brush pig hunting gun.  I would prefer the heavier weight trigger for that type of use but again, that's just my preference.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 4lb Timney in my S&W M&P 15 and a Timney 4.5 lb in my DPMS LR308.  The 4 to 4.5 triggers give me better accuracy and they are not too light or too heavy.  My carry guns all have 4lb triggers so I'm very used to that pull weight. If I were in combat I'd still go for the 4lb trigger pull!! YMMV
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, thanks QtrHorse and Diamondback.  That is exactly what I was looking for!  I surely appreciate the advice and the help.

Looks like 4 lb trigger is what I'm going with!

QtrHorse, can you point me in the right direction of Velocity triggers that cheap??  The best I can find is 130-140.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
4.5 to 5.0 with a nice let-off would be pretty much an all-purpose trigger with adequate safety built in. You do not want to go on a hunt with a 'hair trigger' on a semi-auto rifle. The ALG-ACT addresses this need at about $60 and installs in just a few minutes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Even if you don't want a two stage trigger there is solid advice on Geissele's website about how to select a trigger based on how you intend to run your rifle.

I was not a fan of two stage triggers before, but found that having a safe pull through total weight with a light, crisp break in the second stage gives me the best of both worlds.  My SSA-E is 3.5 pounds total with a nice easy to hold shelf at the end of the first stage take up, followed by a very short, crisp might 1.2 pound break.

For a 4.5 lb. two stage the choice might be the SSA.  You get a stress or excitement safe total pull through and still have a lighter final touch off for target and precision shots.  That might work out well for a general purpose suppressed SBR.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#6]
4 lbs is about as perfect of a all around triggers as you can get, AFAIAC.

4 > Precision/Bench shooting

4 < Tactical/Home defense

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top