Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 2:47:51 PM EDT
First off, this is NOT an advertisement. More like a preview with welcome input.  It isn't official that the rail will be released yet.

If you are like me, and you are getting a little tired of keymod and m-lok rails, perhaps SLR will have something to fit your needs.  Full quad rails are making a bit of a comeback as of late, and it’s a thing that makes me happy to see.  

Many shooters (myself included) end up covering any given rail with a good amount of accessories.  Some do not, I do.  I generally run a light, some kind of grip, and I typically cover the entire surface where my hand meets the rail with rail covers, or panels which are often stippled for increase grip.  Simply put, the amount of real-estate needed for many shooters is a good amount.  The “unused rail space” argument doesn’t bode well as a good reason for me to go keymod or m-lok.  

The only solid advantages with keymod/m-lok rails is that they are smaller in diameter, and lighter.  But for many shooters (myself included) the weight, and bulk of standard quad rails is quite tolerable.  

If you are such a person, and you grow tired of double-mounting systems (mounting rails, to mount things onto rails) you might notice that you’re options are quite limited in terms of quad rail selection.  Perhaps SLR Rifleworks has just the ticket you need.  

Introducing yet another awesome rail from SLR Rifleworks.  I should state that the rail shown here is a prototype of sorts.  Todd simply wants to see if YOU would purchase this rail, or if this rail should be an option at all.  Comments on where weight can be cut, as well as other modifications are welcome.

I should note that there will be QD cups in the front of the rail, as well as the back.  

The mounting system is top notch.  SLR’s barrel nut wrench adaptor has virtually no play or wiggle room on its purchase against the barrel nut.  The rail slides on, lines up, tightens town and that’s that.  

The new rail is slim in terms of quad rails.  Not nearly as bulky as some other quads on the market.  Currently the rail measures at just about a fingernail thickness wider than a Danial Defense RIS II, which is pretty darn good.

The KAC covers slide on and are pretty snug.  The cuts in the rails to accommodate the KAC covers at the front and rear of the rail are not in yet, but they can be easily added for final production.  Keep in mind other cuts will likely be added to reduce weight.

For myself, this one hits it out of the park.  The rail is slim, rugged, and about everything I could ask for. Not to mention it is very attractive to me at least.  

Currently SLR Rifleworks probably offers the most diverse selection of quality top-notch rails on the market.  They offer over 90 different rail options, ranging in size from 7” up to 16”.  Rails being available in 5.56, .308 and more.  Multiple rail types such as the Solo Series, solo mid series, solo lite series, solo ultra-lite series, intrepid, and select series; all come in options for both keymod- and m-lok.  Add an awesome full quad rail line to the mix, and I have a hard time going anywhere else for any rail.

Again..feel free to mention any kinds of improvements you might think of.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the SLR lineup.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they do a 308 one I'm IN.
View Quote

They offer a pretty extensive .308 lineup currently.  But the quad in .308 could happen if people are interested.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think a lot of people would be. There are not really any noteworthy 308 quadrails that aren't either prohibitively expensive or discontinued (Mega & Rainier quads both looked amazing but are discontinued).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they do a 308 one I'm IN.

They offer a pretty extensive .308 lineup currently.  But the quad in .308 could happen if people are interested.

I think a lot of people would be. There are not really any noteworthy 308 quadrails that aren't either prohibitively expensive or discontinued (Mega & Rainier quads both looked amazing but are discontinued).

SLR has you covered man.

.308 Rails
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice pics, and composition!

Rails look very light.

Might want to check with the mods or make a disclaimer regarding adverts in tech though, you may need industry partner icon.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally think I'm done with quad rails. Even though the weight is not an issue for me, the newer modular designs bring the weight of a full length 16 inch rifle way down. I went slr solo with my 308 and was very impressed with the build quality and strength, but the gritty and tough phosphate finish left something to be desired. If I had to go again I might do Daniel Defense only in favor of the slick finish they apply.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Any word on weight?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Rails look very light.

Might want to check with the mods or make a disclaimer regarding adverts in tech though, you may need industry partner icon.

View Quote

Yeah, awesome post but it does seem to walk the proverbial line between review and ad.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Rails look very light.

View Quote

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't necessarily and advertisement. More like a preview with welcome input.  It isn't official that the rail will be released yet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I like it.  Any word on lengths?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what you're here for.  What lengths would you prefer?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Personally I could see a market for something in a 10", 11 or 11.3, 12 or 12.something, a 13.5" could satisfy 13.7 and 14.5 guys and maybe a 15"
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I might be in. I have no desire to go Keymod, M-Lok, etc.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Personally I could see a market for something in a 10", 11 or 11.3, 12 or 12.something, a 13.5" could satisfy 13.7 and 14.5 guys and maybe a 15"
View Quote

The one rail shown here is a 14".  Personally I love the 14.5 barrel carbine setup (pic at the bottom).  I'm hoping there are others like myself who would love em.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I want this like yesterday. If it falls in line with your typical prices, I will buy it. Looks great. Hopefully a .308 version will come as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I like it...I still use quad rail handguards and like them.  I have a couple SLR handguards and I'm not sold on the mounting system, though mine are older generations and I see something has changed again, presumably for the better.  So I'm a solid "maybe".  I won't say which quad rail handguards I favor as I don't want to muddy this thread up, but I will say they've had the same mounting system for a loooong time and I like it but they are just a little on the heavy side.  So, depending on the details of the mounting system and the weight, I might pick up a few SLR quads.  Lengths I'd be interested in are 9", 11", and 13".
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#19]
12,13, 14 or 15 inch will work fine for me. Definitely 15.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like a nice piece and I've had my eye on SLR for a while. I'm still a big quad rail fan although they don't quite get the attention these days.

What are the dimensions on the width and height of the rail? A big disappointment for me is rails that are shaped like i-beams or too damn fat. I've got little hands that don't appreciate these features. One thing LaRue has had right all these years is the rail dimensions at 2" W X 2.22" H.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks like a nice piece and I've had my eye on SLR for a while. I'm still a big quad rail fan although they don't quite get the attention these days.

What are the dimensions on the width and height of the rail? A big disappointment for me is rails that are shaped like i-beams or too damn fat. I've got little hands that don't appreciate these features. One thing LaRue has had right all these years is the rail dimensions at 2" W X 2.22" H.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/tech/dd-larue-comparison.jpg
View Quote

Agreed....I think if more quads had the profile of a ris ii or similar, they'd be more accepted I think. The lower rail being lower profile makes the handling awesome
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Very cool, I too find myself sticking with quad rails.  Tried keymod and wasn't a fan.  I've been a huge fan of the Centurion Arms C4 but the SLR quad rail looks really nice also.  I'm anxious to see the production version.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#24]
love it.  I wish this was on the market before i finished off my last build!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

14".  I like doing the pinned 14.5" builds.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like it...I still use quad rail handguards and like them.  I have a couple SLR handguards and I'm not sold on the mounting system, though mine are older generations and I see something has changed again, presumably for the better.  So I'm a solid "maybe".  I won't say which quad rail handguards I favor as I don't want to muddy this thread up, but I will say they've had the same mounting system for a loooong time and I like it but they are just a little on the heavy side.  So, depending on the details of the mounting system and the weight, I might pick up a few SLR quads.  Lengths I'd be interested in are 9", 11", and 13".
View Quote

Same.  I'd be interested in a 10" and maybe a 13"-14" if the mounting system has been improved.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15barrels.com/tech/dd-larue-comparison.jpg
View Quote

Notice the top left image.  

I can't speak as to the exact measurments of the rail, but when I was talking with Todd about it, I also showed him this dimensions of the RIS II

Todd mentioned that his extrusion allowed for something close but not exact. He later told me it would be a couple thousands of an inch in diameter than the RIS II.  To quote him he told me a "fingernail thickness more"  

Having handled the RIS II and Lite 3 as well as larue rails, I can tell you its right in there.  Very slim quad.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I should also speak about the mounting system in more detail.  

The new system is one of the easiest and more solid systems I've used.  I've got an older version that essentially has a cut in the bottom of the rail.  The cut is to allow the rail to "clamp" on or flex slightly and tighten down on the barrel nut.  This is no longer the case. The new mounting system grips the barrel nut directly by locking into notches which make it impossible for the rail to move once tightened.  It lines up by using the gas tube indexing "key" and the two lugs simply clamp directly onto the rail. The rail has no cut at the bottom, so the flexing is virtually gone.  Its a pretty slick design.  Perhaps there is a video of any SLR rail installation you can watch for more detail.

I assure you, the mounting system is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Make a 308 version and I'm 100% in. Show me where to place a pre order.

I have spent a ton of money on slr products. Most recently a gen 4 14" with the new mounting system. I also have an early solo and the new mounting system is much nicer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#30]
locked pending staff review
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top