Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slimjim:
Ron, How do HK weapons hold up on your range, specifically the roller locked 90's series variants but also their pistols, i havent had time to dig through the entire thread.
View Quote

Some discussion of that in this video:

Battlefield Vegas Visit & Extreme Round Count Failure Points (AR-15, AK-47s, 1911s, Glocks....) (HD)
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! ^
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag. Subscribe feature doesn't appear to work this morning.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Ron, another thread inspired this question. It's an  interesting issue.

Do you keep bolts or carrier groups paired with one rifle or do you switch them freely between rifles? To any extent you switch them, have you seen any negative effects from switching BCGs between rifles?

Thanks again for all the valuable info here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:
Ron, How do HK weapons hold up on your range, specifically the roller locked 90's series variants but also their pistols, i havent had time to dig through the entire thread.
View Quote

They hold up quite well but we just recently rebuilt approximately 15 of them. The armorers determined that they needed new trunions so we did complete rebuilds on them to include new trunion, barrel, bolt group with some getting new gas tubes and triple rings. These had been pushed passed their limit and when finish being rebuilt, they had a new coat of molyresin applied and now function 100% again.

Just for the record, we replace the extractor springs every 3-5 days on average. They usually get one or two "bends" back into the extractor springs before disposing of it. Other than those springs, the only other piece that needs replacing on a somewhat often basis is the bolt retainer. The weapon will continue to function properly until you disassemble it for cleaning and the rollers just fall out.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:16:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cttb:
Ron, another thread inspired this question. It's an  interesting issue.

Do you keep bolts or carrier groups paired with one rifle or do you switch them freely between rifles? To any extent you switch them, have you seen any negative effects from switching BCGs between rifles?

Thanks again for all the valuable info here.
View Quote

We just swap the entire bolt carrier groups at this point. It's easier on the staff for maintenance records at this point. When a carrier goes bad, it's just usually a gas key that sheared off and instead of taking the time to extract the old machine screws, we just swap the whole group as well. We will strip the extractors, firing pins, gas rings, etc for spare parts before getting rid of them.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Very interesting thread. Thanks for taking the time to keep it updated.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#8]
ost
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

They hold up quite well but we just recently rebuilt approximately 15 of them. The armorers determined that they needed new trunions so we did complete rebuilds on them to include new trunion, barrel, bolt group with some getting new gas tubes and triple rings. These had been pushed passed their limit and when finish being rebuilt, they had a new coat of molyresin applied and now function 100% again.

Just for the record, we replace the extractor springs every 3-5 days on average. They usually get one or two "bends" back into the extractor springs before disposing of it. Other than those springs, the only other piece that needs replacing on a somewhat often basis is the bolt retainer. The weapon will continue to function properly until you disassemble it for cleaning and the rollers just fall out.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Thanks for this wonderful thread Ron!  Per your response above, do you have to replace the 91/93 variant springs as often as the MP5?  I had read to keep a spare but not to worry much about the rifles but the MP5 had an issue.  From your note above it looks like they all have an issue with them?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is some more good reading for those interested in problems with military AR pattern rifles and some great insight into them.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1949032_Gunner-Wade--USMC-rifle-magazines-and-how-the-M27-far-surpasses-the-MWS-.html
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
This may have been mentioned already, if so, apologies,  but do you have any m1014 shotguns? If so, how many rounds do you guestimate through them, how many do you have, and what's broke and how often? Birdshot, or slug and buck?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:58:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:
This may have been mentioned already, if so, apologies,  but do you have any m1014 shotguns? If so, how many rounds do you guestimate through them, how many do you have, and what's broke and how often? Birdshot, or slug and buck?
View Quote

We have a Benelli factory SBR that has been on the line since day one OVER four years ago and it runs and runs and runs. Mossbergs and Remington pump-actions will get 3 and at MOST 4 weeks of use before they are hard-broke. It's been abused with 00 buck, birdshot and even higher velocity frangible but nothing has taken it out of action.

If I ever had to have one shotgun for the rest of my life, it would be the Benelli M4.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, 3 weeks for a Mossy 500?

I believe you just seems extremely short.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#14]

We have a Benelli factory SBR that has been on the line since day one OVER four years ago and it runs and runs and runs. Mossbergs and Remington pump-actions will get 3 and at MOST 4 weeks of use before they are hard-broke. It's been abused with 00 buck, birdshot and even higher velocity frangible but nothing has taken it out of action.

If I ever had to have one shotgun for the rest of my life, it would be the Benelli M4.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Wow! Any guess as to how many rounds? Pics of the inside of the receiver rails possible? Just curious how that steel on aluminum wear is.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#15]
when it comes to shotguns, benelli, browning, beretta.

Remington and Mossberg are great for hunting and putting 100 rounds a year through.  The 1187 might be an exception.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AS556:

View Quote

I bought a Mossberg 590 because the Army said is the bestest of them all....
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]
That's awesome...I love my Benelli M4
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you guys had a Sig M400 and if so how did it hold up? 
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Thank you Ron, for your continued contributions.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you show some pictures of the internal rail wear on the SCAR 17. Just wondering how the steel carrier is interacting on the aluminum receiver with high round count.

Thank you !!
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:39:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AS556:

View Quote

Trust me, we keep at least ten Mossberg and/or Remington's on hand because they go down so often. The biggest offenders are the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 (standard model I would guess). We had some old 70's or 80's police trade-in's that last quite a while and they finally all went down. We can get those up and running again but we need to punch the rivet on the left side of the receiver and replace a component. The Mossberg 590's do last much longer than the other two standard models they eventually break as well. We have a bunch of shotguns that we still have to demil. It's cheaper just to buy a new one than spend the money and TIME on replacement parts and all the "tuning" to make the replacement parts work properly.

If it was up to me, I would only use the Benelli M4's but customers want to see and experience the "pumping" action of a shotgun. They've seen and heard it their entire lives on movies and television so most customers tend to choose the pump-actions. We let customers know that the Benelli (we've only had one) it much lighter on recoil so it does get used quite a bit as well.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Trust me, we keep at least ten Mossberg and/or Remington's on hand because they go down so often. The biggest offenders are the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 (standard model I would guess). We had some old 70's or 80's police trade-in's that last quite a while and they finally all went down. We can get those up and running again but we need to punch the rivet on the left side of the receiver and replace a component. The Mossberg 590's do last much longer than the other two standard models they eventually break as well. We have a bunch of shotguns that we still have to demil. It's cheaper just to buy a new one than spend the money and TIME on replacement parts and all the "tuning" to make the replacement parts work properly.

If it was up to me, I would only use the Benelli M4's but customers want to see and experience the "pumping" action of a shotgun. They've seen and heard it their entire lives on movies and television so most customers tend to choose the pump-actions. We let customers know that the Benelli (we've only had one) it much lighter on recoil so it does get used quite a bit as well.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

The pumping action is part of the experience, I hear. This past few posts of yours have inspired me to make a financial bad though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#23]
As a Mossberg 500 owner, I'd like to know what parts fail, and after how many rounds?  What sorts of ammunition do your customers favor in these shotguns?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MRW:
Ron, is it possible to start a different thread on shotguns?  Let's please keep this one focused on ARs

And I'm also in favor of Henderson Defense having a go fund me account or something that we here could use to support him.  These threads are invaluable and the workman is worthy of his wages
View Quote
I concur, and I'm sorry I contributed to moving off-topic.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MRW:
Ron, is it possible to start a different thread on shotguns?  Let's please keep this one focused on ARs

And I'm also in favor of Henderson Defense having a go fund me account or something that we here could use to support him.  These threads are invaluable and the workman is worthy of his wages
View Quote

I will start a thread in the shotgun forums and I will have my staff use this account (my account) to respond to specific questions on a more timely basis.

As for a GoFundMe, we're doing very well right now so no need for that ;-)

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#27]

I will start a thread in the shotgun forums and I will have my staff use this account (my account) to respond to specific questions on a more timely basis.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Still curious to know if you have had a chance to run a couple of Hawk 982 pump shotguns.  They are supposed to be the Norinco version of the Police Magnum 870 shotguns with an extra one shell capacity and ghost ring sights for less than $200 retail.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#28]
link to aforementioned shotgun forum?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:
link to aforementioned shotgun forum?
View Quote

It's right here: Shotgun Forum (under Armory)
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Ron, have you ever told the story here about why and how you ended up starting BF Vegas?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#31]
GHPorter:  thanks, didn't think to look under "Armory" and my Google-fu was weak.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tango1978:
Have you guys had a Sig M400 and if so how did it hold up? 
View Quote
YES! The Sig M400 has been available on the sporting good shelves a little over 5 years, and I'd ike to know how they are holding up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:
GHPorter:  thanks, didn't think to look under "Armory" and my Google-fu was weak.
View Quote

Glad to help!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#34]

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Brother, I love your contributions to this forum, your hiring of our veterans, and the services you provide, but I was pricing land in Nye county a few years back, and you saying you bought 100+ acres of it anywhere near The Strip has excluded you from my ability to ever consider contributions to a go fund me for you, lol! You're doing "decent" enough as is ;)

I look forward to the shotgun thread though!
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Now....back to the AR/M4s!!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#36]
What have you guys experienced with mossberg 590a1, mossberg 590, mossberg 500, and benelli mova's?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ebolinux:
What have you guys experienced with mossberg 590a1, mossberg 590, mossberg 500, and benelli mova's?
View Quote

Read up, they are starting a shotgun specific thread. This is for AR platform.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
View Quote

Ya I know that already.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Ya I know that already.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ya I know that already.

And yet you posted anyways
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#40]
I think it would be awesome to have a gofundme that purchases different brand rifles and sends them to LV for these guys to abuse. See how they hold up. They're are so many brands out there nowadays it could almost be a full time job testing them all.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#41]

And yet you posted anyways
View Quote

Seriously?
Let's talk AR/M4s
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#42]
And I like that we are talking about ARs.

Also looking forward to the so far nonexistent shotgun thread.  And when we get there I want to ask about the Benelli M1 Super 90.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By FNBrowning:
YES! The Sig M400 has been available on the sporting good shelves a little over 5 years, and I'd ike to know how they are holding up.
View Quote

I'm also interested in the M400's performance.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#44]

For at least the last year and a half or even two years we've only used Wolf Gold .223. I love this stuff as it burns super clean and seems like standard M193-type load but it's listed as .223. It's fair to say we've put over 2 million rounds of the Wolf Gold down range and the mag loaders have said they've never had a round that was loaded with bullet upside down or a backwards primer. I can't say that about the other ammo we've used.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Meanwhile, I've only shot about 1.5k and already had an endcap strike with it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Hey guys, I can only currently find one of HendesonDefense's other topics - High Round Count Pistols - but I believe there are more threads that I cannot find anymore.  Can anyone post the links of all of HD's threads?  

This issue has preplexed me and my search abilities for months now.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By The_Floridian:
Hey guys, I can only currently find one of HendesonDefense's other topics - High Round Count Pistols - but I believe there are more threads that I cannot find anymore.  Can anyone post the links of all of HD's threads?  

This issue has preplexed me and my search abilities for months now.  Thank you.
View Quote

Optics

AK's

FN's
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Ron,

Any .300blk ARs in use at your range?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Optics

AK's

FN's
View Quote

Much obliged, SS.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#49]
This is an absolutely great thread.  Real world empirical data tells the truth.

I've been gone from ar15.com  for a couple years.  Before that,  I  was funds limited and took a lot of time to determine that probably the best deal for me was the PSA CHF barreled ar15 (one carbine, one rifle). This thread confirms that for the financially challenged, I probably made the best decision I could have made.

Of all of the new stuff I learned from this thread, the #1 thing is that a spare bolt or two might be in order.  I'd probably never need it, but it would be the most likely failure (assuming that the rifle is taken care of).

I am back here after all of this time because I had a spare bcg, and decided to build another inexpensive rifle.   The upper I chose was a PSA nitride middy. It looks like that was a good decision, too! I love them, but sometimes question myself when all you hear here is "DD/Noveske", putting down all other ARs.  I am pretty sure that these guns will outlive me and most any other cheap AR on the market.

now, on to the optic (need a new one) and AK ( I built three back in the day from flats, heat treated, had professionally cerakoted. ) topics.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#50]

The only FN on the line that is currently in service AND being sold commercially for us is the semi-auto M249. We haven't purchased any of the FN M4/AR15 rifles at this yet as we still have plenty of other M4's on the line.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Any reason why you guys buy and convert the semi-auto 249 vs just buying full-auto? It would seem crazy that a factory machinegun thats been manufactured for this long and costs the .gov $4k would have a higher price than buying the civy model.
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top