Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jus_Ad_Bellum:

Everyone thinks it's so easy to run a biz and do extra stuff that doesn't add to the bottom line

View Quote

Just as stated above and I am NOT trying to be a jerk to anybody but this is SO true. Our day from beginning to end is never ending.

A perfect example would have been yesterday. Right now we should be in our slow season but the customers never stopped from the moment we opened until a little after 7:00pm. My managers didn't even get a chance to get lunch, the armorers were dealing with a new issue that we've never seen before on a AR15/M4 upper receiver (will update post with pics), mag loaders didn't finish loading mags until after I left at 7:45 and on and on. To put one (or two) more person in the mix of daily operations is much easier said than done.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Next time I'm in Vegas, I'm gonna come and put some rounds through a PKM.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
To put one (or two) more person in the mix of daily operations is much easier said than done.
View Quote

It's the New Year & yall get an extra 4 hours OFF now ... + ya had a GREAT YEAR & have a HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Get'r done - one for the loaders & move a couple up (then add another) in anticipation of MORE BUSINESS & the outdoor range.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DudeDad:

It's the New Year & yall get an extra 4 hours OFF now ... + ya had a GREAT YEAR & have a HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Get'r done - one for the loaders & move a couple up (then add another) in anticipation of MORE BUSINESS & the outdoor range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DudeDad:
To put one (or two) more person in the mix of daily operations is much easier said than done.

So they can rest up. Its a leap year so now they have an extra day with all the customer headaches.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
So you guys caused that ammo shortage
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
So you guys caused that ammo shortage
View Quote

No, not us. Our ammo orders are placed six months in advance so the factory already knows to allocate production for us. We have added to the orders each time but it's always six months out to protect us from some sort of ammo shortage.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#7]
One of the most informative threads on arfcom, awesome and thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Ron just want to say Thank you again. Next time Im in Vegas. Im headed your way.... Wardawg
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:42:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mks99] [#9]
This thread is phenomenal!!

So much good info here.  Like others, can't thank you enough for taking the time to start it and keep up with the responses!

Sorry for the "purse fight" early on but this is the Internet.

Threads like this are one of the reasons I stay on this site.  Validation, not just marketing claims, of performance and durability from an independent source are invaluable.  Its so hard in many cases to really understand if there is any value that you may get by spending extra for "name brand" bolt or other part verses the "plain brown wrapper" one.

My take away from this is that you should pay for quality but not for the hype.  Bargain basement isn't probably where you want to shop for gun parts but spending big $$'s on the new nickel, nitrided, super slick, double hardened whatever doesn't gain any 2-10x improvement in function.

Thanks again. This thread is going to be a permanent tag for me!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have any CMMG MK47 Mutants?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TurdCORN:
Do you have any CMMG MK47 Mutants jam-o-matics?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Everyone thinks it's so easy to run a biz and do extra stuff that doesn't add to the bottom line

Also, good luck getting any prof to drop their research or workload somewhere else for unfunded research that has virtually no chance for publication!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SWOH:

I don't have the time to collect the information other than what I have passed on here the forum. I've got quite a few suggestions on how I should collect information and hiring people to do it but it's just one more thing to do a list that's already too long

V/R
Ron

Get a materials science/mech engineering student and his adviser to do it for free, as a thesis project.

Also, good luck getting any prof to drop their research or workload somewhere else for unfunded research that has virtually no chance for publication!

I can see that it's not of huge benefit to him, but I can't see how it would have "no chance of publication."
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

View All Quotes

Proof?  Most people with opinions dont have it. Not knocking you before u have a chance to respond but I would like to know why u feel this way. My experience with this weapon system is limited to YouTube reviews.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Proof?  Most people with opinions dont have it. Not knocking you before u have a chance to respond but I would like to know why u feel this way. My experience with this weapon system is limited to YouTube reviews.
View All Quotes

I talked to a guy at the range that had one.  The only problem he ever had was that a certain countries (I cant remember which one) mags wouldn't fit as well.  Said it needed to be lubed like an AR and it would run like a top.  It's not my cup of tea but it sure was fun to shoot.  The recoil was only slightly heavier than an AR15 which surprised me.  I too would be curious how one of these would do run long and hard.  It's a neat concept, wish the KAC one came to fruition.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow, awesome thread of information.  As many others have said, thank you for taking the time out of your busy days to post this for us.  Very much appreciated.

I'm very interested to know if you have seen any noticeable difference with regard to wear (throat, rifling, etc.) between the PSA Nitride and CHF barrels?  Any corrosion issues with one over the other?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:
Wow, awesome thread of information.  As many others have said, thank you for taking the time out of your busy days to post this for us.  Very much appreciated.

I'm very interested to know if you have seen any noticeable difference with regard to wear (throat, rifling, etc.) between the PSA Nitride and CHF barrels?  Any corrosion issues with one over the other?
View Quote

So far, they are both have been problem free and accuracy (I know it's close distance) but neither types of barrels have been shot to the point of key-holing to this point. There have been a few bolts lost but nothing out of the ordinary.

As for the Colt's, still zero problems and yet to lose a bolt.

We have added some PSA 7.5" uppers with the Battle Arms Development PDW stocks and it's great runner. I'll be honest (and full disclosure) and thought there would be a problem with George's PDW stock and the short barrel. I've known George before B.A.D. became what it currently is. They were making tools for the M14/M1A and George would tell me about his AR15 products in development and I would swear to secrecy while the patent was in process. I purchased several of them for the range and have installed them on the shorties. I don't know why I didn't have much faith in the combo but it runs like a champ and plan on purchasing quite a few more.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#17]

So far, they are both have been problem free and accuracy (I know it's close distance) but neither types of barrels have been shot to the point of key-holing to this point. There have been a few bolts lost but nothing out of the ordinary.

We have added some PSA 7.5" uppers with the Battle Arms Development PDW stocks and it's great runner. I'll be honest (and full disclosure) and thought there would be a problem with George's PDW stock and the short barrel. I've known George before B.A.D. became what it currently is. They were making tools for the M14/M1A and George would tell me about his AR15 products in development and I would swear to secrecy while the patent was in process. I purchased several of them for the range and have installed them on the shorties. I don't know why I didn't have much faith in the combo but it runs like a champ and plan on purchasing quite a few more.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

every product I have gotten from BAD has been great (cola warrior sponsor to boot.)

Full auto 7.5 AR?

that's not a PDW, that's a flame thrower.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#18]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

That's awesome to hear...and I think you mentioned you had anywhere from 20,000 - 50,000 rounds through the PSA's, right?

Thanks Ron!
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't know if it's been posted yet, but found this review by Military Arms Channel of Battlefield Vegas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVuoBwZxcJ4

For some reason the youtube link never works from me. What am I doing wrong? -> [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVuoBwZxcJ4[/youtube]
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CompSyn:  Don't know if it's been posted yet, but found this review by Military Arms Channel of Battlefield Vegas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVuoBwZxcJ4

For some reason the youtube link never works from me. What am I doing wrong? -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVuoBwZxcJ4
View Quote

Non-Team members can't post videos.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:59:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGL_Shooter] [#21]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVuoBwZxcJ4
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By CompSyn:  Don't know if it's been posted yet, but found this review by Military Arms Channel of Battlefield Vegas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVuoBwZxcJ4

For some reason the youtube link never works from me. What am I doing wrong? -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVuoBwZxcJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVuoBwZxcJ4

The laugh that follows the burst from the minigun at 6:22 is priceless!
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

The first video I ever saw of that gun it was nothing but problems, jammed every other round. I see there have been much more success stories on YouTube now that they're more widespread though.

I'll see if I can find the vid. All I remember was it was a really fat guy at the range and the thing jammed like crazy
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Ron, I don't think this was asked yet (I could be wrong), and I know it's not exactly AR related, but do you guys have any ACRs on the line?  I'm curious because I've heard mixed reviews on its reliability.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By N4sty_N4te:
Ron, I don't think this was asked yet (I could be wrong), and I know it's not exactly AR related, but do you guys have any ACRs on the line?  I'm curious because I've heard mixed reviews on its reliability.
View Quote

We do have two select-fire ACR's on the line that have been running for well over a year now. The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head is a gas piston assembly that went flying down range and couldn't be recovered. It's an AR180-based design (G36, SA80, SAR80) that is simple and reliable. I don't know what type of issues others have had but it's been on par with all other weapons as far as function and reliability.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Ron
If this has been asked my apologies but on your suppressed ar's are you seeing any high failure rate for specific parts over un-suppressed?  Are your suppressed ar's using any kind of adjustable gas block or any other parts specific to the suppressed ar's?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Ron
If this has been asked my apologies but on your suppressed ar's are you seeing any high failure rate for specific parts over un-suppressed?  Are your suppressed ar's using any kind of adjustable gas block or any other parts specific to the suppressed ar's?
View Quote

If parts are breaking on a higher rate on suppressed rifles, my staff hasn't brought it up to me and I haven't noticed any trending parts when ordering replacement parts.

That being said, we are going to switch over to gas blocks made by MicroMOA that have been made specifically for suppressed rifles. We purchased some of their "Baby Govnah" for the 7" and 10" automatic AR's and they REALLY made a huge difference as for recoil, trigger slap and breaking full-auto disconnectors. We tried different things to slow it down and stop the trigger slap to include almost every heavy buffer out there (and some were EXPENSIVE and now sitting in a spare parts bin) and modifying the disconnector. Nothing worked so we purchased some of the Baby Govnah's and it was like a light switch went on. The staff couldn't believe how well it worked and it made shooting the PDW's fun again.

We are using suppressors more often and some suppressors are more "gassy" that others. One of those suppressors is the Brevis II by Delta P but it's a fair tried for the compact size. It fits on the 7" PDW and only adds about 3" total length so the customer still gets a small little package that's suppressed. It does kick a lot of gas back at the shooter so I am hoping that this gas block from MicroMOA works just as well as the other one did for slowing the gun down and helping with reducing gas coming back into the shooter's face.

Here's a terrible cell phone pic but you can see the size of the can on the 7.5" PDW and overall length with the Brevis II attached. I will say that our cans from AAC, YHM and Surefire don't kick as much gas back to the point but those cans are at least twice the length. We provide an experience so it's not the level of noise reduction but the point that it's "silenced" and reducing gas blown back in the face is part of the experience.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#27]

If parts are breaking on a higher rate on suppressed rifles, my staff hasn't brought it up to me and I haven't noticed any trending parts when ordering replacement parts.

That being said, we are going to switch over to gas blocks made by MicroMOA that have been made specifically for suppressed rifles. We purchased some of their "Baby Govnah" for the 7" and 10" automatic AR's and they REALLY made a huge difference as for recoil, trigger slap and breaking full-auto disconnectors. We tried different things to slow it down and stop the trigger slap to include almost every heavy buffer out there (and some were EXPENSIVE and now sitting in a spare parts bin) and modifying the disconnector. Nothing worked so we purchased some of the Baby Govnah's and it was like a light switch went on. The staff couldn't believe how well it worked and it made shooting the PDW's fun again.

We are using suppressors more often and some suppressors are more "gassy" that others. One of those suppressors is the Brevis II by Delta P but it's a fair tried for the compact size. It fits on the 7" PDW and only adds about 3" total length so the customer still gets a small little package that's suppressed. It does kick a lot of gas back at the shooter so I am hoping that this gas block from MicroMOA works just as well as the other one did for slowing the gun down and helping with reducing gas coming back into the shooter's face.

Here's a terrible cell phone pic but you can see the size of the can on the 7.5" PDW and overall length with the Brevis II attached. I will say that our cans from AAC, YHM and Surefire don't kick as much gas back to the point but those cans are at least twice the length. We provide an experience so it's not the level of noise reduction but the point that it's "silenced" and reducing gas blown back in the face is part of the experience.

V/R
Ron

http://i.imgur.com/qbnUUlT.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Ron

V/R
Ron

http://i.imgur.com/qbnUUlT.jpg

I'll be curious how the micro moa gas blocks hold up I've been debating between that and the gemtech adjustable bolt carrier group.  

That suppressor is interesting, I didn't know they existed.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 3:46:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EVR] [#28]
Ron, if somebody asked already, I apologize, but what do you do with all your empty brass?

Do you segregate it and sell it for once-fired or just sweep it up and sell it for brass scrap, or what?  I'm thinking you generate just a little...
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By EVR:
Ron, if somebody asked already, I apologize, but what do you do with all your empty brass?

Do you segregate it and sell it for once-fired or just sweep it up and sell it for brass scrap, or what?  I'm thinking you generate just a little...
View Quote

We sell it for both scrap and to reloaders, depending on how much we have sitting. Once we hit about 25,000 lbs and the reloaders don't pick it up, off to scrap it goes.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#30]

We sell it for both scrap and to reloaders, depending on how much we have sitting. Once we hit about 25,000 lbs and the reloaders don't pick it up, off to scrap it goes.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

And all the reloaders drool...
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By dj1975232:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dj1975232:

V/R
Ron

Yes. Yes we do.  Too bad I haven't gotten out there "at the right time" to "help Ron out" wth all that scrap!  Seriously, this was discussed, IN DEPTH, in an earlier thread (or was it earlier in this one?).  Ron has a business and all that brass is a liability, so he has to get rid of it.

This is me wishful thinking, but I'd like to see a Las Vegas-based "scrap specialist" get into the business of just buying up all the brass that the multiple firearm-oriented businesses in the Las Vegas area generate and turn that stuff into a reloader's windfall.  But that's a sidebar that I'm not really going to start.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:15:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EVR] [#32]
Thanks Ron.  That is very interesting.

Any idea how many empty cases in total from all weapons/calibers you generate say, per week?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#33]
OST.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:52:36 AM EDT
[#36]
As one who has a PSA M4 Premium on the way, I'm happy to see that they are doing well.  Ron, do your Colt M4s have the 14.5 barrels?  I see the PSAs have the short 10"-12" barrels.  Could that be contributing to a higher bolt lug failure rate on the PSA than the Colt?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#37]
A quick update as it's been hectic here BFV getting ready for SHOT Show and everything that OSS Suppressors have going on. That being said I will provide some updates with wear patterns on upper receivers that I have never seen. The wear pattern in the in channel were the gas key rides is something we've never seen before and the failure that came along with it.

Here's a little gem from yesterday while on the range. We've had instances where several bolt lugs have sheared off but the weapon to function properly but this bad boy is stopped dead in it's tracks when it breaks like this. My RSO was walking from the range to the armory when I noticed that something looked wrong. I took a quick picture of it before the armorers could even take it part.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#38]
A quick update as it's been hectic here BFV getting ready for SHOT Show and everything that OSS Suppressors have going on. That being said I will provide some updates with wear patterns on upper receivers that I have never seen. The wear pattern in the in channel were the gas key rides is something we've never seen before and the failure that came along with it.

Here's a little gem from yesterday while on the range. We've had instances where several bolt lugs have sheared off but the weapon to function properly but this bad boy is stopped dead in it's tracks when it breaks like this. My RSO was walking from the range to the armory when I noticed that something looked wrong. I took a quick picture of it before the armorers could even take it part.

V/R
Ron

http://i.imgur.com/Kyqc5qO.jpg
View Quote

what kind of bolt/upper is this?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#39]

V/R
Ron

View Quote

Looks like a bolt broken at the cam pin hole.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:

V/R
Ron

Yup. Broken bolt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Does Brownells still sell the USGI mags with tan followers?  Awesome thread by the way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By farinx:

View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Was this a PSA?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#44]

V/R
Ron

View Quote

Well I don't think that's gonna buff out.  Nope.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Was this a PSA?
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Was this a PSA?

I would be more interested in knowing the round count.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#46]
What's the up keep like on your vintage firearms? I imagine parts for some of them would have to be fairly uncommon
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:27:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HendersonDefense] [#47]
What's the up keep like on your vintage firearms? I imagine parts for some of them would have to be fairly uncommon
View Quote

I will get the round count and manufacture of the bolt but it was definitely put on the line within the last 7-10 months. I remember that particular weapon going back on the line after we did a reset on several M4's. This particular M4 had a new barrel installed, new fire control group, buffer, spring, etc and for the most part, was the just the upper and lower that was recycled into service.

There must be a response or post I used with the word "reset" because I had a member message me about what that meant. I've been working in the garage with the mechanics on our HMMWV's and when they reset a vehicle (in the Army), they go through the whole vehicle to "reset" it back to new. We have been doing that with HMMWV's so to anybody else that wondered what I meant.. now you know.

As for vintage firearms, we are constantly looking for either parts guns or very good/excellent condition guns to keep the line filled. We have 5 or 6 (I can't remember) G43's which we pull parts from to keep at least two running at any time. It does get expensive when some of the guns are like the Japanese Type 96. The magazines alone are around $1,500 when you find them and parts kits are not easily found so I usually buy whatever I find.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:14:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jBoy723] [#48]

I will get the round count and manufacture of the bolt but it was definitely put on the line within the last 7-10 months. I remember that particular weapon going back on the line after we did a reset on several M4's. This particular M4 had a new barrel installed, new fire control group, buffer, spring, etc and for the most part, was the just the upper and lower that was recycled into service.

There must be a response or post I used with the word "reset" because I had a member message me about what that meant. I've been working in the garage with the mechanics on our HMMWV's and when they reset a vehicle (in the Army), they go through the whole vehicle to "reset" it back to new. We have been doing that with HMMWV's so to anybody else that wondered what I meant.. now you know.

As for vintage firearms, we are constantly looking for either parts guns or very good/excellent condition guns to keep the line filled. We have 5 or 6 (I can't remember) G43's which we pull parts from to keep at least two running at any time. It does get expensive when some of the guns are like the Japanese Type 96. The magazines alone are around $1,500 when you find them and parts kits are not easily found so I usually buy whatever I find.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Good Lord!! Have you ever considered having someone manufacture some for you given the fact that you have some already they can blueprint off of (not sure if that's the correct terminology) or is that even possible?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#49]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Thanks, Ron.  Definitely interested in the round count and manufacturer.  I can't tell you how helpful your information has been to me over the last few weeks.  I'm glad someone directed me to your thread!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#50]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top