Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 42
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:58:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SanchoPanza] [#1]
Ever try soaking bolts in Coca-cola to remove carbon?

Saw my old Sergeant doing this with M240 bolts fresh off the tank range, & I knew he didn't drink Coke.

So, I sez "drink Coke now?"

He sez "you know I don't drink that s€*#. I'm soaking the bolts in it; Coke has phosphoric acid as an ingredient."

I didn't believe him, so I looked, sure enough, phosphoric acid is one of the ingredients in Coke.

I still just drink it; but, I rarely shoot many rounds a day, out of any one weapon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SanchoPanza:

Saw my old Sergeant doing this with M240 bolts fresh off the tank range, & I knew he didn't drink Coke.

He sez "you know I don't drink that s€*#. I'm soaking the bolts in it; Coke has phosphoric acid as an ingredient."

I didn't believe him, so I looked, sure enough, phosphoric acid is one of the ingredients in Coke.

I still just drink it; but, I rarely shoot many rounds a day, out of any one weapon.
View Quote

We use to pour coke on corroded battery terminals. It seemed to work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

Better tell him to stay away from cheese, cereal bars, baking soda and all kinds of other food. Phosphoric acid isn't as bad as it sounds and it is actually pretty common.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

it works, he was right
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Ron, the part about the shotguns is super interesting to me! Do you know the power of the knowledge you hold? haha kidding, but I am curious about their lifespans and whether or not you guys are able to fix the Mossbergs more easily than the 870's. I've always enjoyed the ergonomics of the Remington shotguns but the gunsmithing required to fix the ejector spring in the receiver was always a bit of a deal breaker for me. I'm just curious if there was any way you could clairfy a little bit on how long the various guns last. Are you buying the 870 tacticals, police, or express's? Mossberg 500, 500a's, or 590's? It wouldn't even need a whole new thread, but I am checking the shotgun thread in the armory section often just in case! Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:22:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting in the video they said the H&K 416 and the DI systems had about the same reliability.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi folks,

I apologize for delay in responding to questions or private messages. We were overwhelmed before, during and after the SHOT Show. To keep this thread focused on AR15/M4's, I have started a new thread about shotguns to keep this one focused.

Shotgun Thread

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Think phosphoric acid bad?

You should see what our stomached acid is capable of
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By joglee:

View Quote
So you're saying I should swallow a dirty bolt, then retrieve it from the shitter and it'll be like new?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
So you're saying I should swallow a dirty bolt, then retrieve it from the shitter and it'll be like new?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well newish
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the shotgun thread! Really hope SHOT went well for you guys.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes

Let us know how that works out for you
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

Let us know how that works out for you
View Quote
I spent over 13 years in the Army....I've eaten and shit worse things.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I had many talks with several engineers in the industry at SHOT.

Colt Canada engineer said when they heard about all the bolts breaking with M4s in the US, they scratched their heads, because they never saw it with C8 in use with SAS and other units that shoot high volume.

He referred to the HK416 as a monstrous abortion, given all the failures he has seen.

One of the biggest problems with the Mil-Std/TDP is calling for HPT on the bolts, rather than doing destructive testing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

Colt Canada engineer said when they heard about all the bolts breaking with M4s in the US, they scratched their heads, because they never saw it with C8 in use with SAS and other units that shoot high volume.
View Quote

So what does CC do different? No HPT the only difference? They still use C158 dont they?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:34:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joglee] [#16]

He referred to the HK416 as a monstrous abortion, given all the failures he has seen.

One of the biggest problems with the Mil-Std/TDP is calling for HPT on the bolts, rather than doing destructive testing.
View Quote

Does Colt Canada do HPT?

I would also be curious to see what HPT would do to a 416, because last I heard H&K does not do HPT. If HPT is as destructive as Reed Knight III has said the HK416 would likely only see around 4,000 rounds bolt life.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By col_hapablap:

So what does CC do different? No HPT the only difference? They still use C158 dont they?
View Quote

Reed Knight has been on record saying that HPT can reduce bolt life by as much as 30-40%
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#18]
But arf has always taught me that not HPT = crap
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Reed Knight has been on record saying that HPT can reduce bolt life by as much as 30-40%
View Quote

Anybody can say anything.  I would like to see some hard metallurgical engineering back up that claim.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

Anybody can say anything.  I would like to see some hard metallurgical engineering back up that claim.
View Quote

He seems like a pretty smart dude, and it is why they choose not to HPT KAC bolts....which seem to have a pretty excessive bolt life, I mean like one bolt to every 2 barrels.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:05:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4DUDE] [#21]
Not for nothing but the M4 PIP Bolt program passed with zero change.  Everybody submitted their super whiz bang bolt designs.  If there was a magic sauce to increase bolt life, then we would know about it.  Turns out there are a lot of people selling snake oil - and all this nonsense about cutting down this lug and that lug and making lugs shaped like unicorns that are coated with Teflon infused piss from the only known captured bigfoot blah blah blah blah blah means fuck-all to bolt life.  Everybody had their chance to show how smart they were and turns out it was just a big sales pitch.

Turns out in the real world if you broach the bolt correctly, make them out of good material, heat treat them correctly, HP test them and MAG them and then phosphate them correctly - they last a long time.

There, I said it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joglee] [#22]
Originally Posted By RealFastV6:
Not for nothing but the M4 PIP Bolt program passed with zero change.  Everybody submitted their super whiz bang bolt designs.  If there was a magic sauce to increase bolt life, then we would know about it.  Turns out there are a lot of people selling snake oil - and all this nonsense about cutting down this lug and that lug and making lugs shaped like unicorns that are coated with Teflon infused piss from the only known captured bigfoot blah blah blah blah blah means fuck-all to bolt life.  Everybody had their chance to show how smart they were and turns out it was just a big sales pitch.

Turns out in the real world if you broach the bolt correctly, make them out of good material, heat treat them correctly, HP test them and MAG them and then phosphate them correctly - they last a long time.

There, I said it.
View Quote

Should have allowed for a new barrel extension, buy I agree about the current bolt design.

If it's 7 square lugs the current just works.

Interestingly enough SOCOMS early bolt issues with the M4 were due to Colts QC lacking that year(according to Chris bartocci) and were fixed later on.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Slightly OT, but since this thread seems to have the majority of these type posts I'll say it here.

After SHOT I stopped at BFV and spoke with the guys there. Ron wasn't in the shop, but they were super professional, polite, and gave us a tour.

Great group of folks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried searching the thread via Google but was not able to, so joined to ask:

1.) Was wondering if you had any 6.8 with high round count on them?

2.) And if so, what are they and how are they holding up?

Thx for the thread either way if you can answer...
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Ron, I know you're busy and priorities aren't AR15.com so if this is overlooked no worries.

Battle Field Las Vegas loads literally TONS of magazines. Is there a tool that you or your employees have learned to count on such as Maglula or Other Devices? Stripper Clips and Spoons,  maybe or are they all loaded by hand?

If this has been asked before, I did not see it and apologize. I hope that 2017 is even better for BFV than the last.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

What is it about the HPT that breaks bolts?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Would some kind soul post the link to the High Round count AK thread?
Thank You, in advance.

Somebody must understand the search page on the site but it is unlike any other on the interwebz and does nothing for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Rick_Lind:
Would some kind soul post the link to the High Round count AK thread?
Thank You, in advance.

Somebody must understand the search page on the site but it is unlike any other on the interwebz and does nothing for me.
View Quote
Here
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#29]
thanks Squirrel bro.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:57:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HendersonDefense] [#30]
Originally Posted By wesr228:
Ron, I know you're busy and priorities aren't AR15.com so if this is overlooked no worries.

Battle Field Las Vegas loads literally TONS of magazines. Is there a tool that you or your employees have learned to count on such as Maglula or Other Devices? Stripper Clips and Spoons,  maybe or are they all loaded by hand?

If this has been asked before, I did not see it and apologize. I hope that 2017 is even better for BFV than the last.
View Quote

I can tell you from loading hundreds (if not thousands) of magazines over the years while we've been slammed that we load magazines a couple of different ways.

Maglula's are by far the easiest when it comes to loading. I don't really have to load mags these days because we will have 4-7 mag loaders on busy days but when I did, I wouldn't load the Uzi or Colt 9mm mags without a Maglula. We also have the bench "plates" that you lay rounds on and push in all at once. I can't remember the names but I believe the one made for M4 mags is Israeli-made the wooden one for AK47's is Russian made. Both of the table top models work great, especially when you're not in a mad rush. The same goes for the Maglula's that clip on top of the magazine.. if you're not in a mad rush.

When it's hectic and you have 90-100 magazines on the bench that need loading with 90 minute wait for customers to shoot, nothing works better than the old pressing in by thumb. We don't have time to fiddle around with clipping the loader on top, loading the mags, taking the loader off, etc. It really gets crazy in there and saving a few seconds on each mag really helps. The guys will "bang" the AK' mags and Uzi mags against the bench to use momentum to load rounds in when we are in a time crunch but when things aren't going 100 mph, they use the Maglula's and loading plates.

V/R
Ron

edit: thank you for good luck wishes
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:19:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

I can tell you from loading hundreds (if not thousands) of magazines over the years while we've been slammed that we load magazines a couple of different ways.

Maglula's are by far the easiest when it comes to loading. I don't really have to load mags these days because we will have 4-7 mag loaders on busy days but when I did, I wouldn't load the Uzi or Colt 9mm mags without a Maglula. We also have the bench "plates" that you lay rounds on and push in all at once. I can't remember the names but I believe the one made for M4 mags is Israeli-made the wooden one for AK47's is Russian made. Both of the table top models work great, especially when you're not in a mad rush. The same goes for the Maglula's that clip on top of the magazine.. if you're not in a mad rush.

When it's hectic and you have 90-100 magazines on the bench that need loading with 90 minute wait for customers to shoot, nothing works better than the old pressing in by thumb. We don't have time to fiddle around with clipping the loader on top, loading the mags, taking the loader off, etc. It really gets crazy in there and saving a few seconds on each mag really helps. The guys will "bang" the AK' mags and Uzi mags against the bench to use momentum to load rounds in when we are in a time crunch but when things aren't going 100 mph, they use the Maglula's and loading plates.

V/R
Ron

View Quote

RIP thumbs
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#32]
It's expensive, but it sounds like you would get your money's worth out of the Mag-Pump.

https://www.tek-tite.com/products.php?cat=MAG-PUMP
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#33]

V/R
Ron

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wesr228:

V/R
Ron

Thank you very much for the insight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AAMP84:
It's expensive, but it sounds like you would get your money's worth out of the Mag-Pump.

https://www.tek-tite.com/products.php?cat=MAG-PUMP
View Quote

That's actually pretty cool. More than I need, but if it were solid than it might be great for an armory or such.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

Fewer than you might imagine considering the recent faddish popularity of assless chaps on the board.
View Quote

!0,000 internets to the guy who can find chaps that are not assless.

And great thread.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MikeE23666:

View Quote

The test has enough energy that it puts extreme fatigue on the bolt.  I believe it was KAC that said it can shave off about 40% of the bolt life.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

The high pressure.

M197 HPT is running at 70,000 +/- 3,000 PSI.

It's not enough to break good bolts, but it puts significant stress on the bolt lugs that are only designed for 55,000PSI.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#38]

The high pressure.

It's not enough to break good bolts, but it puts significant stress on the bolt lugs that are only designed for 55,000PSI.
View All Quotes

The high pressure.

I thought they did the MPI after the HPT to ensure there are no stress fractures that could affect bolt life?

Huh.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Just found this thread.  Good read.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:25:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By rb889:

I thought they did the MPI after the HPT to ensure there are no stress fractures that could affect bolt life?

Huh.
View Quote

It only detects flaws on the surface/subsurface, it doesn't go very deep.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:13:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By rb889:

Huh.
View Quote

It does.

The issue is a bolt made correctly will NEVER fail a HPT followed by a MPI, no matter how much it reduces the bolt life.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#42]

I will start a thread in the shotgun forums and I will have my staff use this account (my account) to respond to specific questions on a more timely basis.

As for a GoFundMe, we're doing very well right now so no need for that ;-)

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Ron, there was a thread started about off center bolt bores on uppers. I checked a couple of mine (stripped aero upper/a colt,and a sig m400) The sig and aero are off center like the ones in this thread .
Curious about how reaching this machining issue is and maybe how some of your high round count rifles compare. It probably has no issue with reliability, but could effect performance. So maybe if you walk by some of yours that are taken down you might take a gander down the bore, It really stands out when you are looking for it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By goatmurray:

Pretty please, Ron?
I'm starting to think he doesn't like Steyr AUG guys...
That or he likes 'em too and doesn't want to drive the price up with information of how long they last.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FullAssault:

I'd love to know as well.

With any luck he might see the AUG  thread before it gets buried again

Pretty please, Ron?
That or he likes 'em too and doesn't want to drive the price up with information of how long they last.
still holding out!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:50:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HendersonDefense] [#44]
Originally Posted By FullAssault:

View Quote

No.. I love AUG's. We just had a bolt cam pin fail and somehow the bolt fell out of the magazine well and the firing pin ended up wedged between the left-side port well cover and trigger pack. It took a bit of time to extract it but it was stuck there in pretty good. Other than that, the gas block on the barrel will fail before the barrel itself does. We've lost a firing pin there and there or a bolt but nothing like the AR platform. They last double to triple life of a AR/M4 bolt.

They are great gun if you like bullpups and they just continue to run with little maintenance.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:52:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FullAssault] [#45]
Thanks!!! I heard from one source the barrels fail at the chamber and another saying it doesn't. Interesting info on the gas block. Do they tend to fail early or later in the round count?  I guess if you have a spare barrel and a bolt you should be set!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Anything on Tavors ? I've read the whole thread but if there was a mention I've forgotten it. If so, generalities are fine but if you have specifics that's icing on the cake.

Also, is there a Bullpup thread, and do you have enough of them to make it worthwhile?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZMan941] [#47]

I wouldn't load the Uzi or Colt 9mm mags without a Maglula.
View All Quotes

I wouldn't load the Uzi or Colt 9mm mags without a Maglula.

I know from experience that these mags are a nightmare to load by hand once you start getting the mag over about half full!

We also have the bench "plates" that you lay rounds on and push in all at once. I can't remember the names but I believe the one made for M4 mags is Israeli-made the wooden one for AK47's is Russian made. Both of the table top models work great, especially when you're not in a mad rush.

Sounds like the Maglula BenchLoader!

Originally Posted By pavlovwolf:
Anything on Tavors ? I've read the whole thread but if there was a mention I've forgotten it. If so, generalities are fine but if you have specifics that's icing on the cake.

Also, is there a Bullpup thread, and do you have enough of them to make it worthwhile?

Thanks.

I'd also be curious about the Tavors!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#48]
We've had our factory full-auto suffer a failure. I'm on a flight right now and can't remember the part but IWI said they would replace but they asked for the broken part back. They want to send it back to the factory to analyze why it broke. The IWI staff is well aware of the use.

The tavor has been run hard and is on par with all the other weapon systems.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#49]
We've had our factory full-auto suffer a failure. I'm on a flight right now and can't remember the part but IWI said they would replace but they asked for the broken part back. They want to send it back to the factory to analyze why it broke. The IWI staff is well aware of the use.

The tavor has been run hard and is on par with all the other weapon systems.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Thanks. When you get back and have a chance, let us know what part it was, and if it's an end user / field replaceable part. I need to order a spare parts kit, and I also want a second bolt for backup. The bolts aren't expensive but you have to ship your rifle to them for them to head space a bolt. They told me it takes a couple of weeks turnaround.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Bumptag
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top