Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2015 7:46:15 PM EDT
Hi all,

I've been on the forum awhile, mostly reading and learning, but thought I'd ask for opinions since this seems like such a helpful group.

I've been a pistol shooter for many years, I build 1911's occasionally and shoot often. I got my first AR last year, a Stag Model 3. I've used it as a base to find out what I like, don't like etc. Rifle's been great, flawless and accurate.

I recently shot a buddy's competition gun and really enjoyed it, so now I'm looking for an 18" with a rifle gas system and will be getting into 3 gun. I've no interest in building (busy enough as it is). So, I've narrowed my choice to these two (I'm a dealer and these are both available to me, among some others).

As far as I can tell, both guns are extremely similar except for twist and furniture. That said, for those with experience with either (or both), what do you think?

Thanks for any input.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, both are good guns.
The Stag 3g is less expensive, and has a stainless barrel with a 1/8 twist.
The DD has a nitrided barrel with a 1/7 twist.

There are some other differences, as well, but that will cover the biggest IMO.

You're a dealer, try the Stag. If you like it...stop there.
If not, sell it and try the DD.

What will probably happen is that you'll buy the Stag and like it.
But you'll always wonder about the DD and end up buying one of those too.
Next thing you know, you're keeping both and having fun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Great question, Max covered it well. The barrel is the primary diff. The DD fanbois will jump in soon to root for their side. Both have the same S3G..trigger so that is nice. I have the 3G and my DD PRO V11 is due in to my FFL..anytime

I work for a dealer and both are priced the same. I have a MK.12..as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I meant to point out in my previous post that I lean more towards the Stag due to the barrel being a 1/8 twist. I feel the 1/8 twist allows more flexibility for bullet selection.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, in talking with friends who are more experienced they also like the twist on the Stag better. I'm placing the order today, even though you're all probably right, I'll end up with both at some point...I hate that. Mostly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#5]
For as cheap as our price is on both , why not ?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top