User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/9/2015 7:35:59 PM EDT
Hello everyone.

Recently I completed my first build with a Surplus Ammo and Arms assembled upper receiver.  I sighted it in with Tactical Eagle AE223, then tried to shoot Surplus Ammo and Arms re-manufactured ammo through it and the dam thing blew up!!!  20 rounds of Tactical Eagle down the pipe, no hiccups.  4 rounds of Surplus Ammo and Arms re-manufactured ammo, 1 failure to eject and a catastrophic failure that could have really hurt someone!

I took it back, they exchanged the ammo, but won't commit to repairing my rifle!!!  Dam!  They built the upper, and they made the ammo, what are thy thinking?  How can they even justify jerking me around like that?  

I left the rifle with them.  I get the feeling they are looking for a way not to take care of it.  Feeling a little stupid for leaving the rifle with them.    

Any advice?  

What should I do next?  Hire an attorney?

Has anyone else had any issues with Surplus Ammo and Arms not standing by their products?

I was looking around earlier today, and it appears that that others have had issues with the SAA re-manufactured ammo.    I wish I had done a little more homework before buying that crap!!!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.
Their rifle, their ammo.
The have no choice but to step up and restore your rig to pre-kaboom condition.
And they should hurry ......... while getting that shit ammo off of their shelves.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Only advice I've got is to stick with factory loaded ammunition.

Reloads, no matter who they seem to come from, always seem to exhibit the most problems IME.

Hopefully they fix your shit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you buy them both at the same time? At least it'd be less likely to dispute you shooting other ammo. If they didn't fix it, I'd blast them on every review site I could find.

What all did you observe to be broken?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
With current pricing, they picked a bad time to have poor customer service.  Word spreads.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
the only advice i have it don't shoot cheap ass reloaded ammo.

with ammo prices like they are now there is no reason to save a few pennies on someone else reloads!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately I bought the ammo about a week later.  

That's what I told the guy...  Your ammo, your upper, what is there to talk about...  

I suppose they need to do their due diligence, but they wouldn't say, "we will fix it if your story checks out"...  The part that scares me is their brass is still stuck in the gun, they have the gun...  If the brass disappears and they decide not to take care of me I'm screwed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Friends don't let friends use reloads.

Subscribe to this philosophy, unless you are running your own meticulously reloaded ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I think I have learned my lesson on the reloads.  

What I was looking for is advice on how to deal with these guys.  Anyone have an issue like this?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Reloads, no matter who they seem to come from, always seem to exhibit the most problems IME.

View Quote

THIS, exactly THIS post... OP, the only reloaded ammo I trust is from Black Hills, and myself, period. Everything else is suspect in my opinion. I don't even like to be shooting around or next to people who are using reloaded ammo.

This is their ammo and their rifle, they are responsible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What I was looking for is advice on how to deal with these guys.  Anyone have an issue like this?
View Quote

How long have they had the rifle/ammo?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Unfortunately I bought the ammo about a week later.  

That's what I told the guy...  Your ammo, your upper, what is there to talk about...  

I suppose they need to do their due diligence, but they wouldn't say, "we will fix it if your story checks out"...  The part that scares me is their brass is still stuck in the gun, they have the gun...  If the brass disappears and they decide not to take care of me I'm screwed.
View Quote

More than likely that is what will happen if they are punks. I hate people/companies that don't accept responsibility. Hopefully they have balls and will make it right. That is a dying breed of people in this day and age though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like a small time thing, so I'm guessing it was an economy grade rifle.

Sorry, but you get what you pay for. You should simply RETURN the items and get your money back if possible. Get firearms and ammo from someone else! Recommend quality next time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hang in there, they'll fix it.
They don't want the kind of bad publicity that a thread like this can deliver.

BTW, how long have they had the rifle ?

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]
It wasn't a super expensive build, but it wasn't cheap either.  In my opinion the ammo was the problem.

I did return the rifle.  Now they are acting like they are looking for a way to get out of having to replace it.  Either way, I will be posting the outcome of my experience with Surplus Ammo and Arms.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Just took it back to them today.  They said it could take a while though.

My concern is more that when I was talking with the guy there, he never once said if it was on them that they would take care of it.  He was really vague, and wouldn't commit to much of anything.  I just felt more like they were looking for a way out.  

Like I said I feel stupid for leaving my rifle with them.  I should have scheduled a time to meet with the gunsmith and be present while he takes it apart.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just took it back to them today.  They said it could take a while though.

My concern is more that when I was talking with the guy there, he never once said if it was on them that they would take care of it.  He was really vague, and wouldn't commit to much of anything.  I just felt more like they were looking for a way out.  

Like I said I feel stupid for leaving my rifle with them.  I should have scheduled a time to meet with the gunsmith and be present while he takes it apart.
View Quote

Weekend crew....they probably didn't want to commit to anything.
Call Monday and talk to the boss if he doesn't call you first.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a KB caused by a different ammo re-manufacturer a couple of years ago.
I had a check for the replacement cost of my rifle in 10 days.
SAA would be better off replacing the rifle at their cost than trying to deal with bad publicity and a possible lawsuit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope you are right.  I've heard some horror stories.  Hope I didn't screw up by leaving the gun there and not having some one I trust inspect it first.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#19]
STAY AWAY FROM REMANS!!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

x2.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:36:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:59:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Really? You just took it back to them today and your on a public forum bad mouthing them because you have a feeling that they're not going to do anything?

My advice is to give them a chance to at least look at it, you know like next week when the people that have the power to do something are back at work, before you start raking them over the coals.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:   I sighted it in with Tactical Eagle AE223, then tried to shoot Surplus Ammo and Arms re-manufactured ammo through it and the dam thing blew up!!!  20 rounds of Tactical Eagle down the pipe, no hiccups.  4 rounds of Surplus Ammo and Arms re-manufactured ammo, 1 failure to eject and a catastrophic failure that could have really hurt someone!
View Quote

Tell us more about this failure to eject.  Did the round hit the target?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:06:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:   I sighted it in with Tactical Eagle AE223, then tried to shoot Surplus Ammo and Arms re-manufactured ammo through it and the dam thing blew up!!!  20 rounds of Tactical Eagle down the pipe, no hiccups.  4 rounds of Surplus Ammo and Arms re-manufactured ammo, 1 failure to eject and a catastrophic failure that could have really hurt someone!

that is exactly what went through my mind.

Round stuck in barrel. Op manually extracted the case. Chambered a round, fired, and BOOOOOM.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:17:38 AM EDT
[#25]
We're all just speculating here, but an obstructed barrel kaboom makes a much bigger mess of the rifle than what we see here.
Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:55:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not bad mouthing them yet.  What I said is that have been very vague in what they would do, and it seems like they are trying to get out of having to take care of it.  I also mentioned that it could take quite a while for them figure out what the will do.  I asked for advice on how to deal with the situation.  If it comes time to bad mouth them, you will see a much more full accounting with pictures.

Yes my join date was some time ago, and I don't post much.  Usually I come here as a resource to see what others are doing, and look at pictures of your rifles.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#27]
As far as the failure to eject goes.  The rifle seemed to cycle normally, and when I went to pick up my target, there was a 3 hole group a little high and left of where the tactical eagle grouped.  I am assuming that is from the first 3 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 3:46:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We're all just speculating here, but an obstructed barrel kaboom makes a much bigger mess of the rifle than what we see here.
View Quote

I don't see any pics. If there are, and it's obvious that it wasn't that, I stand corrected, but I have also seen squibs do very little damage if the bullet is close enough to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:01:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  As far as the failure to eject goes.  The rifle seemed to cycle normally, and when I went to pick up my target, there was a 3 hole group a little high and left of where the tactical eagle grouped.  I am assuming that is from the first 3 rounds.
View Quote

What's broken on the rifle?  Bolt lugs, bbl extension lugs, bolt carrier, what?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Photos of rifle after kaboom, please. Without pics its all rank speculation.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hello everyone.

Recently I completed my first build with a Surplus Ammo and Arms assembled upper receiver.  I sighted it in with Tactical Eagle AE223, then tried to shoot Surplus Ammo and Arms re-manufactured ammo through it and the dam thing blew up!!!  20 rounds of Tactical Eagle down the pipe, no hiccups.  4 rounds of Surplus Ammo and Arms re-manufactured ammo, 1 failure to eject and a catastrophic failure that could have really hurt someone!

I took it back, they exchanged the ammo, but won't commit to repairing my rifle!!!  Dam!  They built the upper, and they made the ammo, what are thy thinking?  How can they even justify jerking me around like that?  

I left the rifle with them.  I get the feeling they are looking for a way not to take care of it.  Feeling a little stupid for leaving the rifle with them.    

Any advice?  

What should I do next?  Hire an attorney?

Has anyone else had any issues with Surplus Ammo and Arms not standing by their products?

I was looking around earlier today, and it appears that that others have had issues with the SAA re-manufactured ammo.    I wish I had done a little more homework before buying that crap!!!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
View Quote

Well first and foremost, glad you and any bystanders are okay after this kB!

In the future, I would suggest never buying or using something with the word "remanufactured" on it or "like new factory reloads." Yes, the ammo is cheaper, but when you look at the risks, they aren't worth it especially considering you can buy hundred of xm193 rounds for really cheap and get quality factory ammo.

As far as what to do, I would keep going to them. Most companies will replace their upper unless you happen to modify it in anyway. Did you change anything on the firearm or used a reload that you done yourself?

I should also state that a company doesn't HAVE to replace your upper after a kB. Reading the warranty on most firearm, it states that while they take care they ultimately can't guarantee anything. So reality is most reputable replace the firearm after a kB! out of courtesy and customer service when said person used factory loads. If you used remanufactured or reloads, unless from a very reputable company, they won't replace or even look at your firearm.  

If the company says their firearm is SPECIFICALLY designed for the reloads they sell, then that is a bit different.

Personally I wouldn't go to a lawyer. I'd just get another upper from a good company and use factory loads.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#32]
I didn't disassemble the rifle, but from what I can see looking through the ejection port it shattered the BC.  The little bit that we did pull the BC back you could see the side of the bolt.  Funny thing the barrel didn't bulge noticeably.  The brass with their head stamp is still in the rifle.  When the bolt broke apart it also busted out the top right front of the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't see any pics. If there are, and it's obvious that it wasn't that, I stand corrected, but I have also seen squibs do very little damage if the bullet is close enough to the muzzle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought I was in the other kaboom thread.
I corrected my previous post.

Your comment is valid and could have been the cause of the kaboom in this one.

Hopefully the OP comes back with a good report on Monday.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I didn't disassemble the rifle, but from what I can see looking through the ejection port it shattered the BC.  The little bit that we did pull the BC back you could see the side of the bolt.  Funny thing the barrel didn't bulge noticeably.  The brass with their head stamp is still in the rifle.  When the bolt broke apart it also busted out the top right front of the upper receiver.
View Quote

I think I've only seen one or two pics of a bulged AR barrel ever. The design of the AR allows for the pressure to blow back, rather than explode. Thin pistol barrels and shottys will bulge.

Did the mag get torn apart? Did the receivers seem to open up? Was the bolt catch broken off? Bent dust cover? I guess you couldn't see if there was any brass flow or a torn case head.

The brass won't have their headstamp, but rather whatever brass they use. SSA would be "Silver State Armory".
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I think I've only seen one or two pics of a bulged AR barrel ever. The design of the AR allows for the pressure to blow back, rather than explode. Thin pistol barrels and shottys will bulge.

Did the mag get torn apart? Did the receivers seem to open up? Was the bolt catch broken off? Bent dust cover? I guess you couldn't see if there was any brass flow or a torn case head.

The brass won't have their headstamp, but rather whatever brass they use. SAA would be "Silver State Armory".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The brass won't have their headstamp, but rather whatever brass they use. SAA would be "Silver State Armory".

Agreed.  The brass they used in that run was uniform though.  The necks of the 3 pieces of brass I recovered were all cracked.  While I was at SAA's store talking with the guy I did notice that another loaded round had a defect in the neck right where the others had cracked.  

The magazine blew out of the rifle.  The bottom of the mag was mushroomed.  We couldn't find the floor plate or the spring.  The dust cover was bulged as was the upper receiver.   The top right of the upper receiver was torn a little.  It looked like the BCG turned sideways to the right side of the rifle and caused that damage.  No.  I couldn't see any of the brass.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SSA is Silver State Armory, and is new, high quality , first run ammunition, not reloads.

SAA is a reloading company that has been known to make nasty reloads.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Surplus Ammo and Arms SAA is who I got the ammo and upper from.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#38]
FYI Surplus Ammo and Arm's remanufactured ammo is "BVAC".
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

SSA is Silver State Armory, and is new, high quality , first run ammunition, not reloads.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Autocorrect. Obviously I meant SSA, and their loads haven't been as great since their acquisition by Nosler.

And SAA has had pretty good luck with receivers and such. I didn't know they were BVAC, I've seen bags of ammo with their saa sticker. There have been quite a few bvac kb threads
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Autocorrect. Obviously I meant SSA, and their loads haven't been as great since their acquisition by Nosler.

And SAA has had pretty good luck with receivers and such. I didn't know they were BVAC, I've seen bags of ammo with their saa sticker. There have been quite a few bvac kb threads
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've also seen SAA reloaded ammo listed as Manufacturer: Unknown on the ammo search engine lists.
Which would be a giant, flashing red sign on my radar screen.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Well I just spoke to the owner of SAA and I have to admit I feel less confident than I did before... Guess we will see where we go from here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well I just spoke to the owner of SAA and I have to admit I feel less confident than I did before... Guess we will see where we go from here.
View Quote

If I'm recalling correctly, this is the same company that was selling Barrett 6.8 brass that was rejected by Barrett ( could have been Wilson brass ). it was supposed to have been destroyed, and they got a huge lot of it somehow, and put it our for sale. Even after it was known that they had it, they still tried to sell it, and it caused quite a bit of trouble, that they wouldn't take care of.

Don't quote me on it, but that's what I remember of it. Brass was improperly heat treated or something like that.

yeah, from 2009 on 68 forums. there's a thread on it.

(SSA Aquisitions) is responsible for it's manufacture and distribution into the market. Scharch was the unfortunate purchaser of this product, when they became aware of the problems with it, they recredited everyone their money AND allowed them to keep the brass, disposing of it in any fashion they so choose.

It's marked Barrett without the hyphens between 6.8 SPC and Barrett. Virtually 85% have off center primer pockets, some have off center primer holes. The brass is very soft, one loading with mild charges opens up the primer pocket. I would strongly suggest that it be scrapped, even though it was "free". Scharch has taken a huge loss, 100% plus shipping, to make this right.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If I'm recalling correctly, this is the same company that was selling Barrett 6.8 brass that was rejected by Barrett ( could have been Wilson brass ). it was supposed to have been destroyed, and they got a huge lot of it somehow, and put it our for sale. Even after it was known that they had it, they still tried to sell it, and it caused quite a bit of trouble, that they wouldn't take care of.

Don't quote me on it, but that's what I remember of it. Brass was improperly heat treated or something like that.

(SSA Aquisitions) is responsible for it's manufacture and distribution into the market. Scharch was the unfortunate purchaser of this product, when they became aware of the problems with it, they recredited everyone their money AND allowed them to keep the brass, disposing of it in any fashion they so choose.

It's marked Barrett without the hyphens between 6.8 SPC and Barrett. Virtually 85% have off center primer pockets, some have off center primer holes. The brass is very soft, one loading with mild charges opens up the primer pocket. I would strongly suggest that it be scrapped, even though it was "free". Scharch has taken a huge loss, 100% plus shipping, to make this right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that. We were having problems with split necks, horrible weight variations, and even problems with the necks during resizing. Before that, Barrett brass was highly sought after in the 6.8 world
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

All BVAC ammo that I have had has had LC headstamp, both 223 and 308. I have bought it from SAA before and it was clearly marketed as BVAC and the box the rounds came in was marked BVAC.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:31:12 AM EDT
[#45]
WTH is BVAC anyways? Maybe a stupid question to you folks, But I sure don't know.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:34:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
WTH is BVAC anyways? Maybe a stupid question to you folks, But I sure don't know.
View Quote

Bitteroot Valley Ammunition and Components
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:44:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've literally shot around 3-4k rounds of their (BVAC labeled) 9mm without complaint.

I currently have about 1k rounds of the SAA 9mm that I haven't shot.

I know this is talking about .223 but just for the sake of comparison.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

A couple hundred bucks to a lawyer for a nice letter should help them make up their mind.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#49]
I could be mistaken but wasn't there a thread around here someplace last month that someone else had a KB with SAA reloads?

I'm looking.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Have the KB's been only been with rifle ammo.

From my understanding it's easier to double charge a rifle reload as opposed to a pistol round.

I have 1k of BVAC labeled 9mm (never had an issue with BVAC RM's pistol ammo) and 2k SAA labeled 9mm that I have not shot before but if it is BVAC relabeled.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top