Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You guys say it's popular, but I'm not seeing that it is.  Not mainstream anyway.  Find me a link to someone selling a classic M4 BBL or upper: (carbine gas system, front sight installed, long A2 FH, pinned and welded), that's not from a high dollar specialty top-tier outlet.  You can find plenty of 14.5" BBLs that aren't pinned (i.e. NFA, which is specialty).  1 or 2 midlength gas system BBLS.  and a $500 BCM upper (w/out even the BCG for chrissake).  But you can't find a pinned 14.5 with the sight installed and a carbine gas system.  Not at PSA, Rock River, Bushmaster, DPMS.  Nowhere.

If it was almost as popular as the 16" configuration, it'd be easier to find than this!

Which goes back to my question - for the mainstream buyer (not the kind that change out FSB and muzzle devices), you'd think 14.5 pinned would be all over the place, for the shorter/handier advantage.  I have a theory - I suspect the mainstream suppliers are scared to sell it, because they are worried some fool will figure out a way to break the pin and weld with a wrench, it be an NFA violation, and then they'd be on the hook.
View Quote

Sorry, but your theory doesn't make much sense. The "mainstream suppliers" (I'm assuming the above named PSA, RRA, Bushmaster,etc) are "afraid" to sell a pinned 14.5" barrel because someone might violate NFA laws by breaking the pin and weld, but they're not afraid to sell plain 14.5" barrels? Or 10.5" barrels? Or taking it one step further, why aren't they afraid some fool will illegally convert one of their lowers?

Do you think any of the major shotgun manufacturers are worried that someone with a hacksaw could possibly violate the NFA?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sorry, but your theory doesn't make much sense. The "mainstream suppliers" (I'm assuming the above named PSA, RRA, Bushmaster,etc) are "afraid" to sell a pinned 14.5" barrel because someone might violate NFA laws by breaking the pin and weld, but they're not afraid to sell plain 14.5" barrels? Or 10.5" barrels? Or taking it one step further, why aren't they afraid some fool will illegally convert one of their lowers?

Do you think any of the major shotgun manufacturers are worried that someone with a hacksaw could possibly violate the NFA?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys say it's popular, but I'm not seeing that it is.  Not mainstream anyway.  Find me a link to someone selling a classic M4 BBL or upper: (carbine gas system, front sight installed, long A2 FH, pinned and welded), that's not from a high dollar specialty top-tier outlet.  You can find plenty of 14.5" BBLs that aren't pinned (i.e. NFA, which is specialty).  1 or 2 midlength gas system BBLS.  and a $500 BCM upper (w/out even the BCG for chrissake).  But you can't find a pinned 14.5 with the sight installed and a carbine gas system.  Not at PSA, Rock River, Bushmaster, DPMS.  Nowhere.

If it was almost as popular as the 16" configuration, it'd be easier to find than this!

Which goes back to my question - for the mainstream buyer (not the kind that change out FSB and muzzle devices), you'd think 14.5 pinned would be all over the place, for the shorter/handier advantage.  I have a theory - I suspect the mainstream suppliers are scared to sell it, because they are worried some fool will figure out a way to break the pin and weld with a wrench, it be an NFA violation, and then they'd be on the hook.

I think you may have missed the point he makes. If a customer takes a hacksaw to a legal shotgun and makes it into an SBS, that customer has violated federal law. However his illustration of a customer breaking a professional pinned muzzle device loose with a wrench could be pointed to the manufacturer failing to permanently attach the device per federal law and they could be held accountable. Whether this is true or not is above my pay grade, I'm just trying to clarify.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think you may have missed the point he makes. If a customer takes a hacksaw to a legal shotgun and makes it into an SBS, that customer has violated federal law. However his illustration of a customer breaking a professional pinned muzzle device loose with a wrench could be pointed to the manufacturer failing to permanently attach the device per federal law and they could be held accountable. Whether this is true or not is above my pay grade, I'm just trying to clarify.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get his point, and I still don't think that's why more P&W'd barrels aren't offered. Any maker that offers these is going to know what the law requires for legality.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
100 fps velocity loss with M193 & M855 for 0.5" total over all length difference is no wear near worth it to many people.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes they do, and it makes sense if done right.

YHM does also, for use with their clamp-on gas blocks and front sight bases.
View Quote

What he said. If done correctly (IE, muzzle device has an OD that is smaller than your gas block ID) then selling a pinned 14.5" barrel makes sense. They are surprisingly popular, honestly. Those 14.5" pinned barrels outsell numerous 16" SKU's.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
100 fps velocity loss with M193 & M855 for 0.5" total over all length difference is no wear near worth it to many people.
View Quote

I never understand this train of thought regarding this subject.

A good majority of people will be going with the exact same muzzle device regardless of barrel length, or if it's pinned or not.

So, for most people, the length difference will be 1.5 inches.

That aside, and especially with me knowing that other ammos exist then just 193 and 855, the FPS difference between a 16" and 14.5" translates to next to nothing, practically speaking...for me at least.

I'll never own a 16" 5.56 again. There's a reason why I'm selling my factory brand KAC SR-15 Mod 2 right now before I ever even put a single round through it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A good majority of people will be going with the exact same muzzle device regardless of barrel length, or if it's pinned or not.

That aside, and especially with me knowing that other ammos exist then just 193 and 855, the FPS difference between a 16" and 14.5" translates to next to nothing, practically speaking...for me at least.

I'll never own a 16" 5.56 again. There's a reason why I'm selling my factory brand KAC SR-15 Mod 2 right now before I ever even put a single round through it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" barrel - Screw on the FH, and torque, I'm done.  I can do that, by myself, in my own workshop, faster that you can decide what topping you want when you order a pizza.

14.5" assemble the barrel, find the time to go to the machine shop, drill a blind hole, drive in the pin, zap it with the welder, dress and clean the weld, touch-up or refinish as required, or pay someone to do that work for me.  And you will always have some velocity loss, no matter what ammo you choose.

Sure it doesn't take that long, but it takes longer that 1.5" of barrel is worth to me.

If 1.5" was that critical to me, I'd get an AR180 and save the full length of the stock, and still have 18" of barrel.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

16" barrel - Screw on the FH, and torque, I'm done.  I can do that, by myself, in my own workshop, faster that you can decide what topping you want when you order a pizza.

14.5" assemble the barrel, find the time to go to the machine shop, drill a blind hole, drive in the pin, zap it with the welder, dress and clean the weld, touch-up or refinish as required, or pay someone to do that work for me.  And you will always have some velocity loss, no matter what ammo you choose.

Sure it doesn't take that long, but it takes longer that 1.5" of barrel is worth to me.

If 1.5" was that critical to me, I'd get an AR180 and save the full length of the stock, and still have 18" of barrel.

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg538/lysanderx/515CLRonRuler_zpsu3dmsux0.jpg?t=1430998914
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg538/lysanderx/515CLRonRuler_zpsu3dmsux0.jpg?t=1430998914

I think we all recognize the fact the pin and weld limits the ability to change the flash hider for most.

Not everybody is engaging targets with bulk ammo at extended ranges, so I am not sure why the velocity issue came up in reply to his post.

Some just prefer the length.  I do.  I even have a 14.5 SBRd to go with the 3 I have pinned.

I recently sold the last of my 16's, too (in 5.56)  

I like my pizzas pretty simple, by the way.  Pepperoni is fine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think we all recognize the fact the pin and weld limits the ability to change the flash hider for most.

Not everybody is engaging targets with bulk ammo at extended ranges, so I am not sure why the velocity issue came up in reply to his post.

Some just prefer the length.  I do.  I even have a 14.5 SBRd to go with the 3 I have pinned.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going to have to agree.  If you want velocity, you get a 20".  If you want a velocity with a compact size, you get one of these
(have one 18" BBL, LOVE it!, more than my longer OAL 16" M4).

If you want a compact M4 that actually looks and handles pretty close to an M4; pinned and welded 14.5 is what has my eye.  The BBL with the sub-diameter flash hider is interesting.  But, and I know this is silly, you can't mount a bayonet on that, since the bayo ring is designed for a standard diameter FH.  I know that's absurd to most folks, but for giggles while hog hunting, I've Bayo mounted my 16" middy sometimes.  Silly, I know, but makes me smile.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I am happy with my rails and muzzle device so I went with a pinned 14.5" middy (BCM).  
That said, my GRAIL AR is a 12.5" SBR.  

I prefer less weight at the end, soft-shooting, AND I just think shorter ARs look better (until you go shorter than 10.5").  
IF I could have saved even a paltry $25-30, I'd be JUST as happy with a 16" middy (and 15" KMR).  But the 16" upper with 15" KMR was like $35 more (so I went with the lighter, cheaper one).  Also, if I'd had to pay someone to pin and weld it, I also would have gone with the 16", but luckily I have friends who can do it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not completely true...you can install a proper muzzle device that will do both, there are a few available, the BCM Gunfighter Mod 1 comes to mind.

I agree though that its silly to SBR a 14.5", just pin it or get a 16.

Personally, I'm not worried about a suppressor, if I don't want to do paperwork for an SBR, I'm not likely going to do it for a can any time soon either.

...but thats just me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Because 1) Pinned sucks, you can't add a suppressor or compensator,

Not completely true...you can install a proper muzzle device that will do both, there are a few available, the BCM Gunfighter Mod 1 comes to mind.

I agree though that its silly to SBR a 14.5", just pin it or get a 16.

Personally, I'm not worried about a suppressor, if I don't want to do paperwork for an SBR, I'm not likely going to do it for a can any time soon either.

...but thats just me.

THIS! I don't want to register any damn thing with the Government... 75% of my AR's are 14.5 or 14.7" pinned barrels that I've built... I simply build them with the muzzle device I want to run to begin with. It stays on that barrel for the life of the barrel. I don't change muzzle devices like underwear. I just tailor it to what kind of rifle I'm building. If I want another muzzle device I build another rifle or upper that's dedicated for that particular use... 14.5" and 14.7" mid-length rifles/barrels balance nicely and make entry/exiting vehicle's easier, especially when coupled with an adjustable stock.

OP, I agree with others saying that; your first rifle should be something that is NOT pinned however. My 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc, etc, etc, were/all are pinned and I've never ever thought about changing them because I start out with the muzzle device I wanted from the start. The Smith Vortex, YHM's "Phantom", and anything from B.E. Meyers are all very solid "permanent" choices...
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Going to have to agree.  If you want velocity, you get a 20".  If you want a velocity with a compact size, you get one of these http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag167/jeffro556/augstump2_zps5ca70179.jpg

If you want a compact M4 that actually looks and handles pretty close to an M4; pinned and welded 14.5 is what has my eye.  The BBL with the sub-diameter flash hider is interesting.  But, and I know this is silly, you can't mount a bayonet on that, since the bayo ring is designed for a standard diameter FH.  I know that's absurd to most folks, but for giggles while hog hunting, I've Bayo mounted my 16" middy sometimes.  Silly, I know, but makes me smile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going to have to agree.  If you want velocity, you get a 20".  If you want a velocity with a compact size, you get one of these http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag167/jeffro556/augstump2_zps5ca70179.jpg

That is one awesome effing pic. The Jurassic Park AUG. (Background reminds me of the movie)
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I would never buy an upper with a pinned FH because that limits what you can do to the rifle without cutting the FH off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would never buy an upper with a pinned FH because that limits what you can do to the rifle without cutting the FH off.
View Quote

VDI Manimal: 2" flash hider is the same diameter of the barrel.

Allows .750 gas block and barrel nut to be installed/removed with flash hider remaining in place.

VDI Manimal
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
You need a 14" or 15" handgaurd to make a 16" inch upper look proper.
I own two 16" barrels both with geissele mk1's in black and ddc.
the rest are 14.5 pinned. I also chopped a cmmg 22lr barrel and pinned a noveske kx5
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You need a 14" or 15" handgaurd to make a 16" inch upper look proper...
View Quote

only amongst today's tacticool, FOTM folks.

Looks matter to some. I prefer function. I don't need that much rail space so why add the weight?

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I love mine, only did it because I wanted to try something different this time around. The results are perfect for me. No, I am not clearing rooms for a living. But the difference in how it feels is everything people told me it would be. When I'm ready for a change, I'll build a new upper. Internet prices make it economic to do so. I'll probably never go 16 again. And pinning welding was not much of a chore for me. Took me about an hour total at my shop.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm about to build my first 14.5" upper. I've owned most other configurations so i wanted to try this one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#19]
A 8 pound well balanced 14.5 is nothing to lug a around and hit duck sized critters 200 yards out after a couple hours
no problem. function and looks is always my goal when I'm building.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#20]
For the longest time, I was in the "just stick with 16" camp, for all of the reasons people here have enumerated.  With most flash hiders, once it's pinned in place, it's a hassle to change gas blocks or handguards (except for the Manimal, that I know of).  I didn't think the difference in length, weight and balance would be enough to make up for the inconvenience.  Then I got my hands on one with a pinned A2X.  Now it makes sense to me.

Try one.  Maybe it'll change your mind, maybe not.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#21]
The only reason most people would want one in the first place is to make an M4 clone, and not all that many people are willing to give up the ability to remove the muzzle device with normal tools for that.

14.5 isn't really all that useful a length anyways, and 16" midlength systems shoot much smoother.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:44:53 AM EDT
[#22]
My 14.5" middy shoots smoother than my 16" middy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My 14.5" middy shoots smoother than my 16" middy.
View Quote

Less dwell time, so yes, in most cases, this will be the case.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You need a 14" or 15" handgaurd to make a 16" inch upper look proper.
I own two 16" barrels both with geissele mk1's in black and ddc.
the rest are 14.5 pinned. I also chopped a cmmg 22lr barrel and pinned a noveske kx5
View Quote

So an AR doesn't look proper unless the handguard comes out almost even with the end of the barrel?  A standard M4 carbine must not look proper to you then.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For the longest time, I was in the "just stick with 16" camp, for all of the reasons people here have enumerated.  With most flash hiders, once it's pinned in place, it's a hassle to change gas blocks or handguards (except for the Manimal, that I know of).  I didn't think the difference in length, weight and balance would be enough to make up for the inconvenience.  Then I got my hands on one with a pinned A2X.  Now it makes sense to me.

Try one.  Maybe it'll change your mind, maybe not.
View Quote

Yes, sir!  I thought the same way.  You read all of this horror about not being able to change all of these things.  I soon found out the reality is that you likely won't be doing all that much.

The selection of handguards that mount on a standard barrel nut is now quite substantial, and that would seem to be the number one accessory.

While I don't understand why one would change the muzzle device constantly, other than stepping up to a can mount, I know this is America, and you just want the freedom to do so...
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Found a cost effective looking one (at last).

http://www.slickguns.com/product/smith-wesson-custom-upper-receiver-145-17-twist-bcg-40199-after-coupon-sn365-sh

Sort of.  It's sportsman's guide, so you have to play games, but try hard enough, and a 14.5 pinned for $384, w/ BCG.  Thing is, I was hoping for the birdcage for the more classic look (and 1/9), so not sure I'll  pull the trigger.  That, and I'm not an SG club member.  But, if you are an SG club member, this finally looks like a good deal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Just did my first pinned 14.5, next build will be another
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top