Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2015 8:54:50 PM EDT
im at the point in my build where I need to find a reliable bolt carrier. At the gun stores I see BCM BCGs for 250$, and others similarly priced.

I came across this - http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/nickel_boron_bolt_carrier_group      And am wondering what caused this price to be so low. Would I be selling myself short or can I trust this BCG with my life?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
BCM BCG's online are $169
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The BCG is the Heart of the rifle. I always use BCM group in my builds. They are top quaility and I can bet my life on them.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm-bolt-carrier-group-auto-mp.htm

Buy direct from them. Much better price.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The BCG is the Heart of the rifle. I always use BCM group in my builds. They are top quaility and I can bet my life on them.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm-bolt-carrier-group-auto-mp.htm

Buy direct from them. Much better price.
View Quote

I can't get the same NIB or chrome can I?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
hardchrome on a BCG makes them alittle easier to clean, But not really needed.

http://www.slip2000.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=S&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60372

I use this kit to maintain my ar rifles. Clean up is a snap and EWL lube keeps the gun running well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know too much but it seems to be one if not of the most important parts and even on a budget build I wouldn't skimp on a BCG. I am also looking for one and might order http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bcg-223-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-black-c-158.htm?search=tool+craft if I don't find a good deal on EE this weekend. A member here told about them and those are the specs you would want for under $100 click that link. I think they make the bcg's for some of the name brands. Go with a FA, 158 bolt, and properly staked, and tested but I just know what I have researched I don't run em too hard for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Complete Colt BCG is only $150... personally I would rather get a Colt over BCM, especially at a lower cost
http://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M16-AR15-Complete-Bolt-Carrier-Group-Assembly-p/sp64028.htm
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
To those with experience on the NiB, I have read that some ultimately start to flake.  Which brand tends to hold up the best?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard good things about these for $125 shipped but I have no personal experience.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Stag made by CMT.  You can pay more...but you won't get more.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
BCM BCG is a battle proven BCG that you can bet your life on.

BCM BCGs are HPT AND   MPI tested. The Colt BCG is only MPI tested. MPI is practically useless without HPT first.

Forget about NIB and chrome. Not worth the money.

Use Slip 2000 EWL and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
No guarantees. My BCM BCG ate a set of gas rings at about 1000rds. One ring worn almost through. I put a McFarland ring on the bolt and within 150rds it had lost tension. The bolt now has a set of Colt rings and 150rds on them. We will see.

My Aero Precision BCG  ow has about 500 rds on it and is working well. It was $125.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my WMD Guns NiB BCG.

Vince
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am happy with my black nitride Aim Surplus V2 and it seems to get good reviews.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGV2&name=AIM+BLACK+NITRIDE+.223%2F5.56+AR%2FM16+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723
View Quote

I'm running three of these, and will definitely buy more.  Most of mine are Spikes, and they are comparable quality to BCM.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm running three of these, and will definitely buy more.  Most of mine are Spikes, and they are comparable quality to BCM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am happy with my black nitride Aim Surplus V2 and it seems to get good reviews.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGV2&name=AIM+BLACK+NITRIDE+.223%2F5.56+AR%2FM16+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723

Sold out though
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

BCM BCGs are HPT AND   MPI tested. The Colt BCG is only MPI tested. MPI is practically useless without HPT first.

View Quote

Wrong
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

What do YOU reccomend, Fonty?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Been very happy with my Ares, AIM, BCM, PSA, and Stag BCGs
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I use BCM, LMT, or Colt.  No need to get gucci coatings... i've used nickel boron and it was really meh and the LMT enhanced bolt is chrome plate and although i like the bolt, the chrome wasn't the selling point for me nor did it do much for me.  If you are on a serious budget I'd go PSA.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#20]
PSA    $109
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To those with experience on the NiB, I have read that some ultimately start to flake.  Which brand tends to hold up the best?
View Quote

WMD and Fail Zero. I prefer the first.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]
BCM, Spikes and Premium PSA!! All have served me well!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

Really?!?  Not much of an argument.  LMAO!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:35:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What sort of argument were you looking for?  Colt is the standard against the rest are judged.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

What sort of argument were you looking for?  Colt is the standard against the rest are judged.  

+1 phosphate Colt BCG's millions of millions of rounds shot with them and most other gov mil contract bcg's with no issues.
Coating's only for a little better ease of cleaning or looks that's it nothing more.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

...and, BCM BCGs surpass that standard.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

How exactly do they surpass Colt, which truly are "battle proven"?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:55:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Go chrome, or go home

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:58:22 AM EDT
[#29]

I always heard it as Chrome don't get you home.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:30:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Serious question: where were the battles that the BCM units were battle proven in?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Your picture quality is starting to look like mine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:36:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That iPhone of mine is freaking pathetic.  I am getting a new one Monday, it should be better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:42:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That iPhone of mine is freaking pathetic.  I am getting a new one Monday, it should be better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel your pain. I had an iPhone 3GS for YEARS, until xmas my ex got me a galaxy S4. Pic quality isnt great but lightyears ahead of the ipertater. A combination of that and switching from photobucket to flickr cured my quality and tiny ass pic time issues you're well aware of.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:12:20 AM EDT
[#34]
This is arfcom. If any of the major suppliers of bcg's were making crap, we would have heard by now.

I have webmasters, and far's in most, and a jp in my spr.

Many of my bushy and rra's have untold thousands of rds through them.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:18:56 AM EDT
[#35]
As for the OP, I consider the BCG, barrel, optic, and mags to be the most crucial parts as far as quality goes. I definitely wouldn't cheap out on something as crucial as a BCG. There are high quality BCG'S that can be had for cheap though.

The only BCG'S that I've owned, that I considered to be crap were nickel boron.
My phosphated MILSPEC M16 BCG'S have all served me well.

I'd go with BCM, Colt, DD, CMT, etc. I have a MILSPEC Anderson BCG that's been great for me as well, their newer option has a 9310 bolt though, but no biggie.

Forgot to add I also have a Smith Enterprise BCG that was made in the 90's, bitch is still running like a top.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where in the hell are you getting that Colt doesn't HPT their bolts?  
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#37]
KAC does not HPT.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Serious question: where were the battles that the BCM units were battle proven in?
View Quote

QFT.

Colt doesn't HPT? This must be new... Although I would prefer my bolt not to be HPT.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#39]
T
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nailed it. But that's a Jeep thing...

OP, as you can see, the BCG is no place to skimp and there's a lot of passion (and some misinformation) posted in response. Go with a brand that has a solid reputation. Phosphate is fine and the coatings make for easier cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
T

OP, as you can see, the BCG is no place to skimp and there's a lot of passion (and some misinformation) posted in response. Go with a brand that has a solid reputation. Phosphate is fine and the coatings make for easier cleaning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
T
Quoted:

Well, the original M16 bolts were chrome plated, but the stopped after the chrome plating was the cause of shortened bolt life due to fatigue cracking.

This and this report details why you what the stay away from hard chrome in high strength fatigue sensitive parts.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

+1 phosphate Colt BCG's millions of millions of rounds shot with them and most other gov mil contract bcg's with no issues.
Coating's only for a little better ease of cleaning or looks that's it nothing more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

I agree, but some consumers are willing to pay more for the coating and there is nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

Wasn't looking for an argument but you need to get your facts right if your gonna give people advise. Colt does HPT their bolts where did you come up with that they  didn't. Also battle proven no other BCG is more battle proven then Colt's.
I would go with any below but the Colt can be had for $149 which is the best price right now.
Colt
BCM
LMT
Daniel defense
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

First, what military engagements, battles, etc. has BCM been involved in to say they are battle proven?  Are they top quality, absolutely, but they even say their quality is predicated on doing everything to military specifications (at least when it comes to materials, testing, etc).  Since Colt and FN are the military manufacturers, BCM is essentially trying to recreate those specs.  So if you mean battle proven because they make BCGs to the same standard as Colt (which are battle proven) then in a round about way you are correct.  And where in the hell do you get Colt does not HPT, where do you think BCM got the idea to do it?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Complete Colt BCG is only $150... personally I would rather get a Colt over BCM, especially at a lower cost
http://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M16-AR15-Complete-Bolt-Carrier-Group-Assembly-p/sp64028.htm
View Quote

Thanks for that link! They offer free shipping on those BCG's too and I had been looking for a Colt BCG.

Colt BCG

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Should have read the entire two pages before my post, then I would have seen that everyone has already jumped on his comment.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I just got a AO precision BCG from EE it has all the specs you would want and is supposedly from the same company that makes FN. I was going to get a tool craft bcg or one of those NiB WMD bcg's for $125 on EE just for the easier to clean factor but, got the AO first. You cant go wrong with BCM, Colt, DD, and those similar brand names but you can find a good one that probably is the same or supplies some of those companies and save $60 or more.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
T

View All Quotes
Quoted:
T
Quoted:

Absolutely, and my shitty picture of my DD chrome BCG was a joke more than anything.  I just happened to be cleaning one of my rifles at the time.  No passion from me

These threads are abundant about which BCG is best.

It is one of the areas I don't skimp on when making a decision;  but at the same time, people shouldn't over think it.

A good phosphate assembly with a C158 bolt from the well known manufacturers is all a guy needs.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#49]
If I were to make a mistake, I would never admit it to a bunch of sarcastic cretins.

"We judge ourselves by our best intentions and most noble acts but we will be judged by our last worst act."
-Michael Josephson

This forum is criticized by the entire AR community because of the intolerant hostilities of it's members.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#50]
I was FINALLY able to stain my WMD NiB BCG, but it took about 400 rounds suppressed to do it.  I had a light coating of the Lucas/Spikes oil on it.

I tossed it, and my DD chrome in a quick soak of 50/50 Mobil Delvac synthetic ATF and Delo 0w30 that I keep on the bench and gave them a quick brush.

The DD chrome still cleaned up quicker than the magic NiB.  The DD has twice the round count of that WMD, about 2500.  Only about 200 of that being suppressed.  That WMD is going to take a lot more scrubbing if it is going to get any cleaner.  I have a DD phosphate out of my CQBR upper I am going to clean today, too.  It still looks great.  I love the DD phosphate BCGs.

This is as clean as NiB gets without polishing with something like Flitz:

OP, below is my favorite.  Get a DD phosphate.  This one survives in my overgassed MK18 upper, and the cam pin shows it :D
It wore into that point, and has not gotten any worse.  It has my highest round count, and still looks great.  I am going to choke back the gas on this one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top