Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2015 12:29:34 PM EDT
I just want to have one around just incase.  I have a few options but I don't know whats best.  I am assuming I will NEVER have an issue with my BCG but if I did, Id want one right there.  I also figure that if I buy a complete BCG its a quick change vs diagnosing and stripping the BCG.  I also know that the firing pin is the most likely to fail then the bolt and never the carrier...  So I have options:

-Complete Colt BCG $200
-Aftermarket APF $120

-Aftermarket bolt only $60
-Aftermarket pin $8

-Backup complete upper DD $750

-Buy a whole new AR for backup and use a scope on it vs the Eotech on my SOCOM

I am sure there are opinions and other ideas.  I like the idea of just getting a complete Colt BCG to drop in and never 2nd guess it and buy an extra pin while Im at it but the chances of failure are so small that a cheaper aftermarket BCG is just as good of an option.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
What happens when a round of ammo blows out and splits your BCG open, cracking your lower? I think you need a complete spare lower too!

Hell, why not a complete spare rifle? :)
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt, FN, BCM, CMT, DD etc.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a spare rifle to back up my spare rifle which backs up my other spare rifle which backs up my main rifle.  You never know.  All jokes aside just get a BCM bcg and spare parts for it and your good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I would just get spare bolts; through normal use you will never wear out a carrier.

The standard milspec bolt develops cracks between 3k-6k rounds ("harsh" duty cycle) and all bolts ("normal" duty cycle) will have cracks by 6k-10k and are on borrowed time thereafter.  The thing may go to 25,000, but you can't count on it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would just get spare bolts; through normal use you will never wear out a carrier.

The standard milspec bolt develops cracks between 3k-6k rounds ("harsh" duty cycle) and all bolts ("normal" duty cycle) will have cracks by 6k-10k and are on borrowed time thereafter.  The thing may go to 25,000, but you can't count on it.
View Quote

Good advice. Plus you can keep a spare bolt in your rifle, depending on your setup.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I got like 8 spare rifles for back up cause you never know.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
One is none, Two is one AR parts are super cheap, now is the time to build
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#8]
you wont need more than a bolt. carriers dont tits up, your $$ tho
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
you wont need more than a bolt. carriers dont tits up, your $$ tho
View Quote

This.

If you ever have a failure that you need the carrier it's going to take out the gun to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What happens when a round of ammo blows out and splits your BCG open, cracking your lower? I think you need a complete spare lower too!

Hell, why not a complete spare rifle? :)
View Quote

QFT
Have you noticed how many Kabooms are posted on this site?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Spare rifle.

If you buy just a part, it will become a rifle (or 12)

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt BCG's $149.00 on gunbroker.com
In original sealed bag best price I could find.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Colt BCG's $149.00 on gunbroker.com
In original sealed bag best price I could find.
View Quote

That's a good price.  I ordered one direct from that store.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Backup BCG.....kinda like buying a factory wheels to replace the ones on your car when your tires wear out.

Your money though
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I have several spare bolts, and ONE spare carrier.  A spare carrier can be swapped in while you repair/replace the gas key and you're down for minutes rather than hours.  This is a great strategy for shooting matches or carbine courses.  You can take "two is one, and one is none" way too far.  

It's important to think out what sorts of failures you are likely to encounter - or that anyone may encounter.  I don't see a lot of failure potential in a basic carrier.  The key could get bent or broken, but the carrier is really just a well made chunk of steel.  Bolts, on the other hand, have multiple parts that could fail, as could the bolt body itself in various locations.  Spare bolts make sense, but spare BCGs?  It's almost as quick to swap a bolt into a carrier as it is to just swap complete carrier groups, and spare bolts are a lot more affordable than spare groups.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone have a source for a colt bolt?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:06:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone have a source for a colt bolt?
View Quote

I always see em for sale here in the EE section. FN is another quality option.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Kind of off topic but will a no wake infidel upper work on a colt lower?

It's a different gas system   Not sure if that matters.

http://www.greyghostgear.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37821
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Kind of off topic but will a no wake infidel upper work on a colt lower?

It's a different gas system   Not sure if that matters.

http://www.greyghostgear.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37821
View Quote

It doesn't matter what gas system length it has. It's just an upper. If it had a piston system, then you couldn't use a Colt BC most likely

So yes, it will work on your Colt.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#20]
You can get Toolcraft BCGs for $93.  Mil-spec and arfcom tells me that the gov't buys these to drop in as replacements for .mil guns.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#21]
COLT - FN -
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Problems with just the carrier are rare, gas keys and screws seem to come up a lot relatively speaking.
The fastest way to fix a key is to swap carriers.
I keep several since they keep getting used in builds anyway.
Keep a weapon long enough and you will replace the bolt sooner or later.
The carbine class thread would seem to indicate there are plenty of lower quality BCG’s out there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't forget to get the bolt's small parts too, they need to be replaced when worn before the bolt get replaced.

Check your bolt extractor insert and spring more or less every 2,500 rounds interval.

Replace your extractor insert, extractor spring, extractor, gas rings, and action spring every around 5K rounds (more than that if not used much).

Replace the bolt assembly more or less about 10K rounds.

I've had good luck with mil-spec BCG like Colt, LMT and BCM, others that I had not tried yet but are also mil-spec and should be as good are Daniel Defense, and other military suppliers.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I can see the rings or extractor springs going bad but th actual extractor piece?  I can't even find a bcm part for just the piece. You can rebuild a bolt for $30 or replace it for $80 at bcm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I can see the rings or extractor springs going bad but th actual extractor piece?  I can't even find a bcm part for just the piece. You can rebuild a bolt for $30 or replace it for $80 at bcm.
View Quote
$80 is retarded for just a bolt.

Get a CMT(Stag), Toolcraft, or any other properly built and tested bolt for around $40-$50.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had been a Colt AR owner for 44 years now and had worn out six (four rifles and two carbines) anywhere from 15K to over 20K+ rounds, had not broken the bolt extractor, but anything could break, take a look at this thread of "What Parts Break in a Carbine Course" (got to pages 48 and 49 for summaries).

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/360169_What_Parts_Break_in_a_Carbine_Course_____Thread_summaries_are_on_pages_48_49.html&page=1

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I had been a Colt AR owner for 44 years now and had worn out six (four rifles and two carbines) anywhere from 15K to over 20K+ rounds, had not broken the bolt extractor, but anything could break, take a look at this thread of "What Parts Break in a Carbine Course" (got to pages 48 and 49 for summaries).

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/360169_What_Parts_Break_in_a_Carbine_Course_____Thread_summaries_are_on_pages_48_49.html&page=1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  I have also talked to a few Marines who used M16 and 14s and they all said that they never experienced a malfunction or an issue that wasn't due to just being dirty.  One who served recently said that he got jams but only on bursts and never on semi.  None of them replaced a firing pin or bolt but obviously cleaned it everyday.  I guess having 1 BCG as a backup covers everything.  The carrier is probably not needed but it would be a quick swap if there was a bolt issue and I went down.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Armsunlimited has Colt BCG in stock for $150.  I've ordered from them several times and have no complaints.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M16-AR15-Complete-Bolt-Carrier-Group-Assembly-p/sp64028.htm
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Armsunlimited has Colt BCG in stock for $150.  I've ordered from them several times and have no complaints.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M16-AR15-Complete-Bolt-Carrier-Group-Assembly-p/sp64028.htm
View Quote

That's where I ordered from.  They don't sell the bolt only though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Spare? AIM surplus complete BCG for $80
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Spare? AIM surplus complete BCG for $80
View Quote
This. Or just their bolt for $30-$40.

Unless you have a catastrophic failure, the carrier isn't going to fail.... And if you do have a catastrophic failure you're probably going to need a whole new upper if not a whole new gun.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top