Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 11:00:45 AM EDT
Hello,

I am looking to jump into the world of AR's and wanted some advice on how to start. I own a couple of handguns (Springfield XDM 9mm Full and XDS 9mm 3.3) as well as a handful of hunting rifles and shotguns.  I recently had the opportunity to shoot the Smith and Wesson M&P sport and figured it was time to pick up my own AR since I enjoyed it.  I kind of had my eye on the Colt LE6920SOCOM, but had not found a good deal on one yet.  Then over the weekend I got a chance to play around with the Beretta AXR100, it is a pretty nice looking gun.  I found an awesome price on it for under $1200 and badly want to pull the trigger, but wanted some advice first.

I am not the kind of person to do tons of modifications to my weapons at this point.  Change out the scope if necessary, clean it, etc.  As I grow maybe I would want to start swapping out more parts but I don't think that will be me at this point.  My question is would this be a good gun to start my AR collection, or should I look elsewhere?  Ultimately I wanted to put a scope and a side laser on the AR.  Thoughts?

Joe
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Look for a Colt 6920/6720 for around $800.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If your ok in the $1200 range, I would go Daniel Defense,  I found my V5 a couple years back for $1260.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello,

I am looking to jump into the world of AR's and wanted some advice on how to start. I own a couple of handguns (Springfield XDM 9mm Full and XDS 9mm 3.3) as well as a handful of hunting rifles and shotguns.  I recently had the opportunity to shoot the Smith and Wesson M&P sport and figured it was time to pick up my own AR since I enjoyed it.  I kind of had my eye on the Colt LE6920SOCOM, but had not found a good deal on one yet.  Then over the weekend I got a chance to play around with the Beretta AXR100, it is a pretty nice looking gun.  I found an awesome price on it for under $1200 and badly want to pull the trigger, but wanted some advice first.

I am not the kind of person to do tons of modifications to my weapons at this point.  Change out the scope if necessary, clean it, etc.  As I grow maybe I would want to start swapping out more parts but I don't think that will be me at this point.  My question is would this be a good gun to start my AR collection, or should I look elsewhere?  Ultimately I wanted to put a scope and a side laser on the AR.  Thoughts?

Joe
View Quote

What is your budget?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I want to keep it around $1500 with AR/Scope/Extra Mags to start.  Then once I am more comfortable, I can decide what other options to purchase.

Joe
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]
At the present time there are about zero options for the ARX, anything would have to come from Beretta other than an optic.

The AR? Oh, gee, let us count the ways,. Better yet, define what range and target you want to shoot at, which then get into which cartridge, of a half dozen that are popular right now, and barrels at 7", 10.5", 14.5", 16", 18', 20", 22", and 24." And there are a lot more in between. Add three or four profile weights from pencil to bull.

All of that custom tailored to doing the optimal job on that specific combination of range and target. It sets the cartridge, barrel, gas length, optic, handguard, mag capacity, then in declining order, grip and stock.

You could wind up with a 10.5' pistol, a 16" carbine, or a 20" Designated Marksman build - for the singular purpose of deer hunting. One would likely fit your local circumstances better than another.

If it's a decision based on "I just want one" then buy a decent quality one and find out how it works for you. Then, you can change it, if you want. The Beretta, not so much, it will be an ARX for a long time, a proprietary design no one can copy is usually trapped in one configuration.The SCAR has been out for years and olly lately have some items become available from the aftermarket. The AR from the beginning had 20" and 10" barrels side by side in Vietnam, which set a lot of precedence for the market to follow.

Follow your hearts desire, but the number cruncher side of the brain will remind you that for the price of the Beretta, you could build two different AR's in todays market and enjoy both. But - they won't be Berettas, either. And having bought an HK in early 70's, nothing else will do. It was fine - as is - for a long time. Until I realized I could build AR's and get exactly what I wanted.

So, now I'm finishing the pistol build and it's going to be an interesting fall.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a complete upper receiver group from Bravo Company with the barrel and rail of choice.
Purchase the BCM bolt carrier group and muzzle device.
Purchase a complete lower receiver group from Palmetto State Armory with MagPul stock of choice.
PIN TOGETHER.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the M&P Sport at home. Through some MAGPUL furniture on it and had a Vortex Strikefire on it until I was gifted an ACOG. Love the thing and have yet to be able to get it to malfunction.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#8]
this and a PSA premium lower

Too bad you missed the $228 XPS3's

ETA: not a bad option either
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want to keep it around $1500 with AR/Scope/Extra Mags to start.  Then once I am more comfortable, I can decide what other options to purchase.

Joe
View Quote

Joe, I have a few questions. Why do you want a laser? What is the intended purpose for the AR? When you say scope, are you referring to a magnified scope of a red-dot optic of some sort? Also, have you given thought to ammo? With your $1500 budget, you need to shop smart in order to optimize your budget. You do not need to spend a fortune on a good AR. If you are looking at something like the Colt LE6920SOCOM, you can buy a similarly equipped good quality AR carbine for much less. You can buy a better equipped AR (mid-length) for a little less money and still have plenty to spend on magazines, ammo , and an optic. You first have to determine just what purpose the AR has to fulfill.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of good options out there today, Joe. All the major manufacturers are making excellent ARs. The more money you spend doesn't necessarily mean a better AR you'll get. Are you indeed going to be a Commando or Mercenary or are you a sport shooter in it just for the enjoyment? Decide what you are going to use it for and buy accordingly. As parts are so interchangeable between them you can modify it any way you want later on. And remember, in the long run you will spend a lot more for ammo, optics and other mods than you will buying your gun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buy a complete upper receiver group from Bravo Company with the barrel and rail of choice.
Purchase the BCM bolt carrier group and muzzle device.
Purchase a complete lower receiver group from Palmetto State Armory with MagPul stock of choice.
PIN TOGETHER.
View Quote

This or for a little more money get a complete BCM lower.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Joe, I have a few questions. Why do you want a laser? What is the intended purpose for the AR? When you say scope, are you referring to a magnified scope of a red-dot optic of some sort? Also, have you given thought to ammo? With your $1500 budget, you need to shop smart in order to optimize your budget. You do not need to spend a fortune on a good AR. If you are looking at something like the Colt LE6920SOCOM, you can buy a similarly equipped good quality AR carbine for much less. You can buy a better equipped AR (mid-length) for a little less money and still have plenty to spend on magazines, ammo , and an optic. You first have to determine just what purpose the AR has to fulfill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe

Thanks for the replies everyone and here is my thought process, please tell me if I am correct in assuming this.

1. I was hoping to make this kind of a combination use AR.  My goals are leaving the option to use it for hunting if I so desire, Coyote and maybe Deer with the Mag Limiter.
2. Home Defense and possibly the Zombie Apocalypse if it ever happens.  ;-)  
3. I wanted a Magnification Scope for longer distance shooting, possibly out to a couple hundred yards.  My thought for the laser was for closer combat, within 100 yards.
4. Ammo: I was hoping for a .556 set-up with the option to shoot .223 if necessary.

Loving the feedback everyone, I really don't think the Beretta is the way to go anymore.  It looks nice, but my options are limited to one company.

Joe

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for the replies everyone and here is my thought process, please tell me if I am correct in assuming this.

1. I was hoping to make this kind of a combination use AR.  My goals are leaving the option to use it for hunting if I so desire, Coyote and maybe Deer with the Mag Limiter.
3. I wanted a Magnification Scope for longer distance shooting, possibly out to a couple hundred yards. - I recommend considering a 1-4x24 illuminated scope. My thought for the laser was for closer combat, within 100 yards.
(not needed)
4. Ammo: I was hoping for a .556 set-up with the option to shoot .223 if necessary. - As long as you get an AR chambered in 5.56 or .223 Wylde, you can use either 5.56 NATO or .223 REM ammo.

Loving the feedback everyone, I really don't think the Beretta is the way to go anymore.  It looks nice, but my options are limited to one company.

Joe

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe

3. I wanted a Magnification Scope for longer distance shooting, possibly out to a couple hundred yards. - I recommend considering a 1-4x24 illuminated scope. My thought for the laser was for closer combat, within 100 yards.
(not needed)
4. Ammo: I was hoping for a .556 set-up with the option to shoot .223 if necessary. - As long as you get an AR chambered in 5.56 or .223 Wylde, you can use either 5.56 NATO or .223 REM ammo.

Joe

Joe, since you are wanting this to do a few different things, I recommend going with a mid-length gas system with a 16" barrel chambered in 5.56 or .223 Wylde. I would also recommend going with a free-float handguard (12"-15"). This would require the use of a low profile gas block. As I indicated above, you may want to consider using a 1-4x24 illuminated scope. This will give you the benefit of being able to use it at close range and further out (300-400 yards if need be). These are some of the most versatile scopes. These is also a 1-6x24 as well. That could be another option. Primary Arms and VORTEX make some that are very reasonably priced. VORTEX optics are covered by their lifetime VIP Unlimited Warranty.

Here are a couple setups that may give you an idea.

VORTEX VIPER PST 1-4x24 TMCQ MOA scope, 16" mid-length barrel w/ .223 Wylde chamber, 15" Midwest Industries SSM M-LOK handguard

Primary Arms 1-4x24 illuminated scope, 16" mid-length barrel w/ 5.56 chamber, 14" FORTIS handguard

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Joe
View Quote

Don't spend all your budget on the rifle and consider optics afterward. IMO, you should do exactly the opposite. Find out what kind of optic you want, then determine what kind of rifle you can afford with the left over. You can put together a nice AR from PSA for $600. Look for the daily deals on the premium uppers and rifle kits.

Figure in these rough cost:
$100 for 7 Pmags
$50 rear BUIS
$30 sling
$100 rail

I recently put together a PSA premium M4 with all of the above, plus a B5 SOPMOD stock, used ACOG w/ Larue mount and Silencerco Specwar 556 suppressor w/ mount for under $2,000 including the tax stamp and shipping.

Shown here with an EO Tech and standard stock, now wearing the ACOG and B5 stock:
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been a fan of Vortex glass since I purchased their Binos last year.  I see they have a new one coming out, the Strike Eagle 1-6x24, but not out until this summer.  I would probably stay with Vortex since I am such a fan of their warranty.

Joe
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
You should also look into Rainier Arms.  They have their own line or will build one for you with the parts you desire.  Love 'em.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have been a fan of Vortex glass since I purchased their Binos last year.  I see they have a new one coming out, the Strike Eagle 1-6x24, but not out until this summer.  I would probably stay with Vortex since I am such a fan of their warranty.

Joe
View Quote

A Vortex and a quality mount, plus a Colt would be an great starting point. Hang around on this forum enough, and you'll get inspiration/ideas to further progress it. Check out the picture threads, they can help give you ideas as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#18]

A Vortex and a quality mount, plus a Colt would be an great starting point. Hang around on this forum enough, and you'll get inspiration/ideas to further progress it. Check out the picture threads, they can help give you ideas as well.
View Quote

OMG, there are pictures for me to drool over?  This is seriously going to be one sleepless night!

Joe
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]
You have so many options in that price range you'll likely take several years off your life deciding....good luck OP.

My vote goes with BCM.

My lightweight:

My "regular" weight
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
this and a PSA premium lower

Too bad you missed the $228 XPS3's

ETA: not a bad option either
View Quote

I have a colt socom and love it but want to get another ar and am having trouble deciding what to get. This dd upper seems like a great deal and I know it's quality but is the psa lower quality?  I can spend a little more on one if needed.

Also, parting an upper and lower together vs buying one built, what's the advantage?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Cheaper option than the BCM (will leave more in your budget for optics).

PSA

Example of how you can "pin together" an assembled rifle with quality components for less than a factory rifle (SS bbl, NiB bcg) $610:

$350
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-16-midlength-stainless-5-56-slim-1-7-ss15g2-upper-no-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

$130
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14434/category/4282/

$130
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-full-auto-nickel-boron-bcg-with-charging-handle-1.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#22]
So I assume when you guys say BCM, you are referring to Bravo Company USA?  Can you guys recommend some manufacturers to look at for various parts, which are the best for each part?

Joe
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top