Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 14 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 1:43:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CarpNY:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  So - if you can put a standard safety into an SCR, can you put the SCR's crossbolt safety into an AR, if you add some width on the sides?

The BAD-ASS might allow you to reverse your selectors.  Might have to tweak it a bit.

This is what you seek.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Elftmann-Tactical-AR-Ambi-Push-button-speed-safety-2.jpg

Oh, I'm well aware of the Elftmann:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/627254__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Which_Safety_selector_.html&page=3#i6235216

CMMGinc sketched it 3 years ago for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks guys, I'll try back to front and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 11:45:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HLS30] [#3]
Just put an SCR in jail for 10 days. Cant wait to get my hands on it!

Who has the best prices on the bolt catch? Also go I just need a bolt for the bcg or do I need the cam pin, firing pin and firing pin retaining pin?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:23:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#4]
Originally Posted By HLS30:

Who has the best prices on the bolt catch? Also go I just need a bolt for the bcg or do I need the cam pin, firing pin and firing pin retaining pin?
View Quote

I bought the bolt catch from this seller on EBay. Despite actually owning an SCR yet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

AIM has BCG completion kits in nitride and NiB
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshAston:

That's who I was looking at to purchase the bolt from. I just didn't know if I needed all the other stuff too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
What ring heights would be recommended for mounting a Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20mm on an SCR?  Not sure if I'll go with a sporter or monte carlo stock yet, so recommendations for both comb heights would be appreciated or feedback from your experience.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By OttoTheIllustrious:
What ring heights would be recommended for mounting a Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20mm on an SCR?  Not sure if I'll go with a sporter or monte carlo stock yet, so recommendations for both comb heights would be appreciated or feedback from your experience.
View Quote

I would say Medium for Sporter, but people are different, so it might not be right for you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:38:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#9]

My latest project.  Definitely no pistol grip here.

Took boring out the recoil tube hole and a little bit of hand-fitting at the point of connection, but was basically drop-in.  Going to cut the stock down a little and add a thin grind-to-fit LimbSaver pad.  Already shoulders really well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#10]
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b563/CarpNY/WP_20160415_17_07_10_Pro%202_zpsemo2tnih.jpg

Took boring out the recoil tube hole and a little bit of hand-fitting at the point of connection, but was basically drop-in.  Going to cut the stock down a little and add a thin grind-to-fit LimbSaver pad.  Already shoulders really well.
View Quote

Where did you get that stock?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:50:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#11]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:

Where did you get that stock?
View Quote

Ebay.  It was a factory second for the Remington 1100 shotgun.  English (straight) stocks aren't common, but they are out there.  The original end cap had some bubbling, but I am going to take an inch or so off of it, anyway, and then add a thin LimbSaver pad.

Been planning this build for a while and finally found the right one (at a price that didn't kill me.)  The upper will change, but it's what I have built now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#12]
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b563/CarpNY/WP_20160415_17_07_10_Pro%202_zpsemo2tnih.jpg

View Quote

Looks really nice need a matching wood foregrip.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:

I dunno, looks kinda cool and industrial with wood stock and metal forend.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:30:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jreinke] [#14]
Just finished my SCR yesterday.

ASA side charging upper
CMMG 18" SS SPR bbl
STD linear brake
MI SS G2 handguard
Boyd's pepper laminate Rem 1100 (shortened with a solid rubber butt pad installed)

I also installed an extended head rear takedown pin.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jreinke:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll131/jreinke1/P4201489.jpg

ASA side charging upper
CMMG 18" SS SPR bbl
STD linear brake
MI SS G2 handguard
Boyd's pepper laminate Rem 1100 (shortened with a solid rubber butt pad installed)

View Quote

Very nice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:
Anyone recognize this forend? It'd look awesome on an SCR with a wooden buttstock:

http://i.imgur.com/TRCE8Gq.jpg

In general, are there many other forends like this that are a combo of modern metal/rail/slots and a wooden grip? The plain full wooden Boyd's-type hand guards I don't find exciting, but I like this 1960s-ish combo of metal and wood.
View All Quotes
Anyone recognize this forend? It'd look awesome on an SCR with a wooden buttstock:

http://i.imgur.com/TRCE8Gq.jpg

In general, are there many other forends like this that are a combo of modern metal/rail/slots and a wooden grip? The plain full wooden Boyd's-type hand guards I don't find exciting, but I like this 1960s-ish combo of metal and wood.

Ran across another "wood yet modern" stock on TFB's SHOT coverage:

http://i65.tinypic.com/13ygpbq.jpg

I dig this kind of furniture a lot more than the wooden AR bits that try too hard to get away from the modern EBR aesthetic. I think these combos of a few wooden pieces with a perforated barrel has some of the panache you get with a vintage riot gun with a metal heat shield, or the Cetme handguard, etc.

Here toy go: Scarr's "The Wood" thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#18]

ASA side charging upper
CMMG 18" SS SPR bbl
STD linear brake
MI SS G2 handguard

View Quote

That is SICK. How bout I just send you a check and you send me one just like it back? Lol.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#19]

That looks great!  I was looking at Boyd's pepper laminate, too.  It definitely works with the SCR.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Be prepared to do a little wood working.  The SCR has a built up area where the recoil spring tube attaches to the receiver, you'll have to whittle out the end of the stock to get it to fit correctly.  I also needed an extended 5/8" spade bit to remove a tight spot in the center of the stock.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Be prepared to do a little wood working.  The SCR has a built up area where the recoil spring tube attaches to the receiver, you'll have to whittle out the end of the stock to get it to fit correctly.  I also needed an extended 5/8" spade bit to remove a tight spot in the center of the stock.
View Quote

If I remember correctly, the original opening in my 1100 straight stock was 11/16", while the recoil tube attachment was 13/16".  I happened to have a Dremel grinding stone bit that was the exact diameter I needed.  It's not even 1/2" deep, so it doesn't take much.  The rest of the recoil system fit, but I had to open it up just a hair at the back end to actually get my 19mm socket in to tighten it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#22]

ASA side charging upper
CMMG 18" SS SPR bbl
STD linear brake
MI SS G2 handguard

View Quote

I love it, dude - I may end up doing something pretty similar with the buttstock
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Is there any place to get a spare bolt carrier for this?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:31:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BlastRadius:  Is there any place to get a spare bolt carrier for this?
View Quote

What would you be doing w/ that....  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlastRadius:  Is there any place to get a spare bolt carrier for this?

Probably just to have another upper ready to swap on...
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BlastRadius:
Is there any place to get a spare bolt carrier for this?
View Quote

I would call ARES and place an order directly with them.  As far as I know, they don't sell it through their distributors (wasn't on the price sheet that I saw.)
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Anybody have issues with Elftman customer service. I sent them two emails concerning a missing red o-ring and I never got a response?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Any folks have lessons-learned about mounting optics low enough to use with the non-Monte Carlo sporter stocks? Can you get decent cheekweld on the standard stock by using really low rings and a scope with a slim bell?

Just got me wondering since so many AR optics and mounts are designed to be raised up high to counter the inline stock.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Any folks have lessons-learned about mounting optics low enough to use with the non-Monte Carlo sporter stocks? Can you get decent cheekweld on the standard stock by using really low rings and a scope with a slim bell?

Just got me wondering since so many AR optics and mounts are designed to be raised up high to counter the inline stock.
View Quote

AR height mounts, iron sights, and rings won't work

Just have to mount everything low like a traditional rifle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Castillo:

I think that's a given, since the poster is asking about the difference between the standard and Monte Carlo stock.  The Monte Carlo stock looks like it's a good match for low rings (or as low as the optics' bell allows.)
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I went back and forth when buying my lower assembly. I am very glad I went with the MC stock. Please seethe attached picture if my rifle. With that scope I am running the lowest possible rings and my check weld could be a bit higher for me. It works, but I could not even imagine using the sporter stock.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:41:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NickOTime] [#32]

View Quote

I ordered the Larue ultra low rings at first for my Vortex Razor Gen II and they were too low.  I then ordered the "regular" style Larue 30mm scope mount in the low position(probably the ones designed for the HK guns) and it has been the perfect height.  I am running an SCR with the "short" stock configuration.

ETA:  The irons I really like are the CZ ones.  I tried the Troy HK style ones and they seemed a tad high for me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I want one of these so bad but I just can't justify the cost.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:  I want one of these so bad but I just can't justify the cost.
View Quote

Start sucking up to Aimless, & perhaps he'll invite you to the PRNY for a hunting trip - and then you'd need one.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Ares_Defense:

Seek and ye shall find...

We introduced this walnut model at NASGW in New Orleans last week.
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/s2048x2048/12189467_948878358518509_6140470233564449889_o.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rttlsnkndaddy:
Originally Posted By coldblue:
WOW! Way cool and very original.

Agreed! I like it a lot.

Seriously, Ares should start marketing a model like this to Bass Pro & Cabela's. Maybe offer one in walnut and one in Mossy Oak/RealTree, in a package with a mount & scope (Nikon P-300?). Then swim around in their newfound wealth like Scrooge McDuck.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/s2048x2048/12189467_948878358518509_6140470233564449889_o.jpg

I am very interested, but only when I can get one of your lowers with this factory wood stock, and a mid-length wood hand guard.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Start sucking up to Aimless, & perhaps he'll invite you to the PRNY for a hunting trip - and then you'd need one.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:  I want one of these so bad but I just can't justify the cost.

I was up at Gander Mountain in Middletown, NY yesterday looking at shotguns and they had several SCRs behind the counter. I was so tempted to just buy one while I was there. Sadly, I didn't buy either an SCR nor a shotgun.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:

I am very interested, but only when I can get one of your lowers with this factory wood stock, and a mid-length wood hand guard.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:
Originally Posted By rttlsnkndaddy:
Originally Posted By coldblue:
WOW! Way cool and very original.

Agreed! I like it a lot.

Seriously, Ares should start marketing a model like this to Bass Pro & Cabela's. Maybe offer one in walnut and one in Mossy Oak/RealTree, in a package with a mount & scope (Nikon P-300?). Then swim around in their newfound wealth like Scrooge McDuck.

That would look so much better with a flush fit magazine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:  That would look so much better with a flush fit magazine.
View Quote

You too?  Only two I know of are the steel Pro-Mag & the Thermold.  My 5-round Pro-mag feeds fine, and the 10 round is the same size & could be cut down to fit.  That stock is pretty, though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Wishing for a 308 platform SCR (ARES, are you listening?).  I think a 338 Federal in one of these would be the ticket.  I do a lot of deer drives with guys that are running BARS and auto Remington that have had issues with reliability.  That's what's great about AR's vs others.  They seem to keep running if you neglect maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By jasonprox700:
Wishing for a 308 platform SCR (ARES, are you listening?).  I think a 338 Federal in one of these would be the ticket.  I do a lot of deer drives with guys that are running BARS and auto Remington that have had issues with reliability.  That's what's great about AR's vs others.  They seem to keep running if you neglect maintenance.
View Quote

I put together a Rem 7400 carbine in 30.06 with an Eotech for my dad for deer drives, he's a bit of a fudd, but he loves that gun.
A little filing on the factory mags and a good chamber polish and it runs just fine.
The only 10rd mag I was able to make work reliably was from Triple-K.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#41]

I almost bought a Mini-14 right before Ares announced the SCR. I wanted a rifle to keep in Washington DC and they're NY-esque in their strict AWB.

Unless someone really likes the style of the Mini-14, the SCR seems better basically across the board.

One of the few ways I could see the Mini-14 getting an edge over the SCR is if any states (like NY or CA) start banning detachable mags entirely, even without pistol grip. That would leave people with top-load capable rifles (or gimmicks like the FAB-10) so the Mini-14 could easily work with a fixed mag and an added stripper-guide for the bolt. That'd wash the SCR out of whatever state, but would be a huge window of opportunity for the M14, M1, Mini-14, VZ58, SKS, and other top-loadable semi-auto rifles.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MRW:
I'm going to buy a SCR to replace my Mini-14.

I almost bought a Mini-14 right before Ares announced the SCR. I wanted a rifle to keep in Washington DC and they're NY-esque in their strict AWB.

Unless someone really likes the style of the Mini-14, the SCR seems better basically across the board.

One of the few ways I could see the Mini-14 getting an edge over the SCR is if any states (like NY or CA) start banning detachable mags entirely, even without pistol grip. That would leave people with top-load capable rifles (or gimmicks like the FAB-10) so the Mini-14 could easily work with a fixed mag and an added stripper-guide for the bolt. That'd wash the SCR out of whatever state, but would be a huge window of opportunity for the M14, M1, Mini-14, VZ58, SKS, and other top-loadable semi-auto rifles.

FYI DC MPD has approved SCR  them from the get go. I have the first one registered here in August of 2014.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SCRowner:  FYI DC MPD has approved SCR  them from the get go. I have the first one registered here in August of 2014.
View Quote

I used to shoot @ the old NRA range in DC.  Would carry 3 revolvers in the briefcase in my right hand, the ammo in the left on the subway from Virginia.  Glad you were finally able to get a decent rifle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#43]
I love the idea of this. I probably wont buy one because I don't need it; but I think it would be really cool to have. I like the traditional stock a lot more.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Doesn't Boyds make a mid-length handguard?  Pick one up with a matching Rem 1100(?) stock, and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

Doesn't Boyds make a mid-length handguard?  Pick one up with a matching Rem 1100(?) stock, and you should be good to go.
View All Quotes

They make all 3 lengths
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Except that ARES factory woody has walnut furniture (from Boyds).  On Boyds' webpage, however, while you can order a walnut 1100 stock, you cannot purchase a walnut AR-15 handguard.  So, you can have your mid-length handguard, but you'll have to go with laminate furniture.  The nutmeg and pepper laminates look nice, but it's not quite the same as walnut (though, the pepper is a unique look of its own.)
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:41:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlastRadius] [#47]
...edit
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I think I've settled on this configuration:

Ares SCR ASA RMR by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

The Knights Armament Ambi Mag release really improved the controls for me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Hanz:
I think I've settled on this configuration:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/GM1jNw" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7172/26763576290_2e333cd307_h.jpg</a>Ares SCR ASA RMR by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

The Knights Armament Ambi Mag release really improved the controls for me.
View Quote

have you tried the norgon?  do you like the KA better?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#50]
What iron sights are those?

Looks like the twin to mine almost lol.
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 14 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top