Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 1 of 45)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 45
Posted: 3/30/2015 2:13:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax]
The ARES SCR

I had been thinking about buying a Beretta Rx4 / Benelli MR1 at the ridiculous post import mark up. Cool rifle, truly but I'd never pay the $2k for it that people think they're worth.

Then I discover the Ares SCR.

This is the creator's personal SCR, from what I gather.

I don't even live in a ban state. I live in Alaska. I'm certainly not over the AR15, but I've been wanting a traditional stock on a semi auto rifle for a long time, but I refuse to buy a mini14. Never owned one. Im not hating on them, I just don't want one.
I just NEEEED one of these. I figure I'll just buy the lower, since they sell them with the bolt for like $500.

Anyone else not in a ban state just love this thing?

Anyone shot it? does the recoil feel any different?

Also post pics if you got em.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
another plus is it takes all AR uppers...just a propietary BCG
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:46:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Midyew5959] [#2]
Where the fuck can I get one of those lowers!?

EDIT:  Found it!  I'm going to have a hard time choosing between this and a Mini-14.  Fuck it, I'll just end up getting both anyway
ARES SCR lower
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I want one bad, have since they announced it, but I have been refusing to buy one because they have absolutely horrendous customer service. I have tried emailing, calling and even resorted to facebook messaging with some questions that I had but  have never heard back from them.

To me that makes me very worried about getting potential problems worked out if I ever had any.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
My advice is to call them. They have knowledgeable staff who were quick to deal with my SCR trigger upgrade.

In 2015 you shouldn't have to rely on phones but it worked for me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the first I have seen it and I am not sure how I feel about it. I may have to order one and try it for myself but I will let them be out a bit so I can read more results by members I have come to trust on this forum.  

NCH
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
pros:

Very quick and easy handling.
Takes all AR magazines
Takes all AR uppers

Cons:

Can not access magazine release with shooting hand
Does not have bolt release/lock installed from factory
AR height sights are a no-go.

Overall it's a great, fun gun on it's own. If you are in a ban state it's an awesome, maybe even the best, option.

It's an M1 carbine made out of AR parts.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#8]
They did say that most ambidextrous mag releases will fit, which makes mag changes slightly easier, and there is a bolt catch that is available from Ares, and takes less than a minute to install.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:
They did say that most ambidextrous mag releases will fit, which makes mag changes slightly easier, and there is a bolt catch that is available from Ares, and takes less than a minute to install.
View Quote

Should be included and already installed, I mean, come on.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:29:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewVanitas] [#10]
I'm fixing to get one, though I live part of the time in free states and part of the time in ban states. I figure the SCR will be legal in the strictest places, but still a fun shooter even in Texas. Some naysayers were moaning about what a horribly gimpy compromise the SCR is, which I think is the opposite of truth: it's one of the least hobbled AR variants. No weird convoluted stocks or trick-release mags, it's just a straightforward rework of the ergonomics while leaving most of the AR's mechanical principles in place.

I'm planning to get one when travel and finances allow. Been plotting my build, but unfortunately Gunstruction doesn't have the SCR lower as an option yet: http://www.ar15.com/gunstruction/ . I emailed Ares to ask them to work with Gunstruction to add it, but not sure that's the kind of thing Ares is good at following up on. Maybe if more SCR enthusiasts email Gunstruction they'd look more seriously at adding it?

Not sure whose this is, but this photo has been floating around the internet; what I'd want for myself is something a lot like this, with a permanently-affixed linear comp to bring it up to 16", since LCs are legal in states where flash-suppressors aren't. And also the Short Sporter stock for minimum bulk.

I'm set on buying an SCR lower later this year, and then whatever side-charging upper maker is first to ensure compatibility with the SCR. My understanding is that the Gibbz side-charger lacks a specific cutout needed to fit an upper to the SCR, so that would need modifying.

I was initially interested in whatever wooden stock they offer in the future, but on further thought I think I'll stick with the polymer stock, and have the stock and whichever FF handguard I choose hydro dipped into a cool fake wood pattern, like the dipped metal handguard on this AR:
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:
I'm fixing to get one, though I live part of the time in free states and part of the time in ban states. I figure the SCR will be legal in the strictest places, but still a fun shooter even in Texas. Some naysayers were moaning about what a horribly gimpy compromise the SCR is, which I think is the opposite of truth: it's one of the least hobbled AR variants. No weird convoluted stocks or trick-release mags, it's just a straightforward rework of the ergonomics while leaving most of the AR's mechanical principles in place.

I'm planning to get one when travel and finances allow. Been plotting my build, but unfortunately Gunstruction doesn't have the SCR lower as an option yet: http://www.ar15.com/gunstruction/ . I emailed Ares to ask them to work with Gunstruction to add it, but not sure that's the kind of thing Ares is good at following up on. Maybe if more SCR enthusiasts email Gunstruction they'd look more seriously at adding it?

Not sure whose this is, but this photo has been floating around the internet; what I'd want for myself is something a lot like this, with a permanently-affixed linear comp to bring it up to 16", since LCs are legal in states where flash-suppressors aren't. And also the Short Sporter stock for minimum bulk.

I'm set on buying an SCR lower later this year, and then whatever side-charging upper maker is first to ensure compatibility with the SCR. My understanding is that the Gibbz side-charger lacks a specific cutout needed to fit an upper to the SCR, so that would need modifying.

I was initially interested in whatever wooden stock they offer in the future, but on further thought I think I'll stick with the polymer stock, and have the stock and whichever FF handguard I choose hydro dipped into a cool fake wood pattern, like the dipped metal handguard on this AR:
http://i61.tinypic.com/29m2kvb.jpg
View Quote

I actually contacted Gibbz about their uppers, because I built a 14.5" 6.8 on their upper for use with an SCR, but after I had the upper built I found out that it wouldn't work. Gibbz makes side charging uppers for themselves, New Frontier Armory and X-products(at least from looking at them, they all look identical).

Gibbz said all their uppers moving forward will have the necessary relief cut to function with the SCR(they actually said that the uppers that were off at the coater's have the cut, and that was several months ago so Im sure they are done now). I'm working on buying one from X-products to replace the Gibbz that I have now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#12]

I actually contacted Gibbz about their uppers, because I built a 14.5" 6.8 on their upper for use with an SCR, but after I had the upper built I found out that it wouldn't work. Gibbz makes side charging uppers for themselves, New Frontier Armory and X-products(at least from looking at them, they all look identical).

Gibbz said all their uppers moving forward will have the necessary relief cut to function with the SCR(they actually said that the uppers that were off at the coater's have the cut, and that was several months ago so Im sure they are done now). I'm working on buying one from X-products to replace the Gibbz that I have now.
View Quote

Good deal, glad to hear it's not just Reddit rumor that Gibbz is making accomodations.

Your build sounds awesome; is it a true SBR, or are you permanently affixing an MD to get to 16"?

Even if the pieces won't actually function together, do you have a photo of the build so far? Or if not it'd be great to post a photo when you have it up and running.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I kinda want one just because it's so weird and different.   Haven't found one around to check out though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:26:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wagonwheel1] [#14]
With a magwell that shallow it looks like a potential candidate for 7.62x39.

ETA: looks like it does.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Good deal, glad to hear it's not just Reddit rumor that Gibbz is making accomodations.

Your build sounds awesome; is it a true SBR, or are you permanently affixing an MD to get to 16"?

Even if the pieces won't actually function together, do you have a photo of the build so far? Or if not it'd be great to post a photo when you have it up and running.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have a surefire Socom FH pinned on. Don't have scr yet, hopefully in a month or two. Gotta get my upper swapped out first, mine is one of the previous gens that doesn't have the cut out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Gotta get my upper swapped out first, mine is one of the previous gens that doesn't have the cut out.
View Quote

Is it just removing material?  How much interference?  Could it be milled out?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I would assume it could be done but I can unload the current one I have for close to what I paid for it, and the new one won't be any more expensive so it's probably cheaper to go that route rather than paying to have it milled or and then refinished.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Looking forward to seeing yours when it all comes together, Gadget.

There's a fellow called chunky_lover who's been talking about his build on Calguns and TFL, but not seeing him here so this is his:

The sights are from the CZ Evo subgun/pistol, one of the few things people have found that's picatinny rear and matching front, and far lower than all the AR-15 intended sights, low enough to be used with a trad stock. He has a lot of great details about things he's tried for sights in this thread here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1048176

So far it looks like the trigger issue is resolved, and they're selling lowers separately, which addresses the main complaints people had about the product in the beginning. The add-on BHO seems a little silly; does it suffer for durability/ergonomics for being a separate part? I've only been able to sort of find one photo of the BHO online and it looks a bit odd.

Various folks have scattered complaints that are just inherent to a trad-stocked rifle: the line of sight is lower than an AR (Isn't that a good thing?) so it uses different mounts, and the mag release is further forward. That said, it's not like you can just stretch your finger and drop the mag on an M14 either, that's just not how traditional ergonomics work.

The one criticism I do find kind of concerning is complaints that the magwell isn't flared much at all internally, so you have to come at it pretty straight to slide right in. Plus it's a tight magwell apparently, but some of that might be break-in. It seems an odd feature to not include, some minor internal flare to guide the mag. I'd assume that aftermarket AR magwell flares wouldn't be compatible? Here's the video where a reviewer describes what he doesn't like about the magwell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT5I9rxlFyI
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the magwell is tight (I don't think it is, there is quite a bit of wobble) because it is so short and designed to accept 5 rd magazines. Throw a 30 in there and it moves quite a bit side to side. One of the compromises of the very short magazine well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPC] [#20]
Interesting,, FAL rat tail design.
So you could build one up in any AR15  mag length caliber?
How does gas system work?
Would be great if it was adjustable, like a FAL.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JPC:
View Quote

The proprietary bolt carrier is set up for standard DI and takes any standard AR bolt.
I would use an adjustable gas block or gas key for anything out of the ordinary, since there is no buffer weight to tune.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Regular AR direct impingement gas system.

The bolt is the same, just the bolt carrier is different. Any AR upper will work.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I might Need one of these.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:20:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPC] [#24]
THANKS,,kept looking on Ares site for more info.
Now wondering,,what about changing gas key to a piston
style? Think it possible? There would be no bolt tipping.
No experience with AR piston gas system,except for Rhino.
2 decades ago.

Thinking surpressed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#25]
THANKS,,keep last joking on Ares site for more info.
Now wondering,,what about changing gas key to a piston
style? Think it possible? There would be no bolt tipping.
No experience with AR piston gas system,except for Rhino.
2 decades ago.
View Quote

Why do you say there would be no bolt tipping?  It won't manifest as a gouged buffer tube, but it could accelerate wear to upper at the 4 rail locations.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I feel so dirty for wanting one of these.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:37:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPC] [#27]
Seems close to a FAL design.
After 8000rds through,no real wear.on my FAL.
There's a FAL called Old Dirty,,18000+ no cleaning.
So how would the wear on this go?
Must be a spring system in stock,like my FAL.
Thinking out loud,but,going to try one.
May even see about a piston conversion.
Never know till tried,right?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Seems close to a FAL design.
After 8000rds through,no real wear.on my FAL.
There's a FAL called Old Dirty,,18000+ no cleaning.
So how would the wear on this go?
Must be a spring system in stock,like my FAL.
Thinking out loud,but,going to try one.
May even see about a piston conversion.
Never know till tried,right?
View Quote

Might want to give Ares a call and ask if they have any comment on piston conversions. Normally I'd say "email them" but apparently Ares is not good about replying to email. If you get an answer from them, tell us what they say.

I actually contacted Gibbz about their uppers, because I built a 14.5" 6.8 on their upper for use with an SCR,
View Quote

So a 14.5 w/ permanent MD up to 16"+, in 6.8 SPC; pretty wicked. Midlength or carbine gas? Going to go adjustable on the gasblock? We're looking at building pretty similar things, and I'm fixing to go 14.5->16+, mid gas, adjustable since I'm a little wary about things running smoothly with that little barrel past the block, so some adjusting wiggle room is reassuring. What optic and/or irons are you planning?

I'd briefly debated doing mine in 6.5 Grendel, but I think I'll stick with .223 because I have the ammo, and in hopes that, like Gibbz, some maker offers a variant of their .22 conversion bolt for the SCR, since a couple folks tried one or two standard .22 conversions and they didn't quite fit.

But other than the Gibbz and a couple .22 conversions, I haven't heard of any other uppers having compatibility issues.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:36:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gadgetguy1288] [#29]
View All Quotes
snip

The barrel is an AR15Performance barrel, his are known in the 6.8 realm as some of the best. Its a mid length gas system, but I'm using a standard gas block since I'm using a Centurion CMR handguard, I dont think anyone has found a piston system that works under the CMR yet. I *think* that the Adams arms XLP kit would work, but I do not know for sure, and I don't have the extra cash to buy the kit just to check the fit.

I went with the SF FH because eventually I plan on picking up either the Socom 68 or mini 762 to go on it, but that wont be till the end of the year.

I'll have to take a picture of the upper as it sits now, since from the outside its not going to change with the new upper, it'll just have the relief cut ont he new one instead not on this one, lol

ETA: I plan on trying out the CZ sights that were mentioned earlier in the post for irons, and I am thinking about trying them on a couple of 45 offset rails to see how it works, but Im not sure if they will stay like that or, depends on how they feel once I get it set up. I plan on giving the new Vortex 1-6x a try for a scope, this rifle will mainly be used as a hunting gun, and around here, unless you are hunting out over a field, the longest shot your gonna take is gonna be about 75yds. If I decide I don't like the vortex on this rifle then I'l swap it out for a Leupold VX-R 2-7 or 1-4 most likely.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:14:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TwoNin9r] [#30]
My wife prefers the rifle sole buttstock aesthetically so we're thinking about one of these.

ETA.
Strangely, I would like to see one of these with an mk12 spr upper.

Also, think it would look cool with a CASV type handguard. Thinking it would look very "m1a socom 2"-ish
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#31]
There's no SCR lower option on Gunstruction, so for the time being I had to compromise my vision by subbing in one of those weird crooked CA-legal stocks. But something like this but with an SCR lower, and the camo bits are intended to be wood patter hydro dip. This is what I'm imagining:

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:26:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPC] [#32]
Well been looking for the old style piston gas key.
Now seems all the piston systems have the one piece bcgs.

6.8 or 300BO will be my choice.Have enough 5.56s.
My FAL and Winchester M1 Garand for larger .30 calibers.

Will be ordering SCR next week.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#33]
There's no SCR lower option on Gunstruction, so for the time being I had to compromise my vision by subbing in one of those weird crooked CA-legal stocks. But something like this but with an SCR lower, and the camo bits are intended to be wood patter hydro dip. This is what I'm imagining:

http://i58.tinypic.com/65a4ci.png
View Quote

Awwww ! What has been seen can not be unseen.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#34]
We've been selling these as lowers and complete rifles at my work.  They are good to go.  Can't get enough of the Monte Carlo Stocked versions.

You have to communicate with Ares via the telephone.  They can be tough to get a hold of but when you do they are very helpful.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:02:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax] [#36]

Nice rifles guys!

I'll be ordering my lower soon. Hopefully this month.

I honestly have no idea which stock I want, though.
I'm 6'1" and was thinking the sport short stock for a compact rifle, but I've heard it's too short for a grown man.
Anyone know the difference in LOP?
Supposing excluding the short, thoughts on sport stock vs Monte carlo?

Ps.. more pics
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Andromax:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Zaphod:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zaphod:
Originally Posted By Andromax:

This would probably be about the only way my dad would let me build him an AR, he's a bit of a fudd
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#40]
So the sport short is only an inch shorter than the sport stock? Interesting.

The short feel pretty comfortable for you?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:39:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brutus2] [#41]
Originally Posted By coldblue:
Doing mine a little different. Keep it minimal and low profile.  Since installing the KAC 3.1 required barrel removal, I substituted an extra upper with an integral case deflector in the process.
The forward assist is of course non-functional, so I plugged it. Love the feel of this rifle...and it has all the muscle memory of my first .22 and shotgun.
<a href="http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/D_A_Lutz/media/SCR%20Phase%201a_zps30mbn6db.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q759/D_A_Lutz/SCR%20Phase%201a_zps30mbn6db.jpg</a>
View Quote

Sick looking rifle. Im thinking this set up with a 13.7 or 12" barrel
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Here you go... http://www.adamsarms.net/piston-carrier-key
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:26:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ares_Defense] [#45]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

Absolutely, positively do NOT use one of those bolt on impact keys! There's a reason that all major piston manufacturers supply carriers with an integral impact lug. The bolt on keys will fail; it's only a question of when and they can do spectacular damage to your weapon when they do fail. We have ARES SCR piston carriers with integral lugs going on the machines this week and they should be back from heat treat & coating and be available within 2-3 weeks from now. These are intended to be used in conjunction with our GXR gas piston retrofit kits, but may also work with several of the other piston uppers that are out there in the marketplace. Thank & stand by.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By coldblue:
Doing mine a little different. Keep it minimal and low profile.  Since installing the KAC 3.1 required barrel removal, I substituted an extra upper with an integral case deflector in the process.
The forward assist is of course non-functional, so I plugged it. Love the feel of this rifle...and it has all the muscle memory of my first .22 and shotgun.
<a href="http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/D_A_Lutz/media/SCR%20Phase%201a_zps30mbn6db.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q759/D_A_Lutz/SCR%20Phase%201a_zps30mbn6db.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is nice. 20 round mag?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SilkyJohnson:
I feel so dirty for wanting one of these.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Good deal, got an Ares rep on the thread!

@Ares: any word as to what .22 uppers or drop-ins are compatible with the SCR? My understanding was that, like the Gibbz side-charger, several .22 kits don't quite mesh with the SCR. Any exceptions, or mfgs planning to offer an SCR-friendly variant?

Any update on SCR-suitable low iron sights, other than the CZ Evo some folks are trying?

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Good deal, got an Ares rep on the thread!

@Ares: any word as to what .22 uppers or drop-ins are compatible with the SCR? My understanding was that, like the Gibbz side-charger, several .22 kits don't quite mesh with the SCR. Any exceptions, or mfgs planning to offer an SCR-friendly variant?

Any update on SCR-suitable low iron sights, other than the CZ Evo some folks are trying?

View Quote

We have an improved .22 rim fire kit that will fit both the ARES SCR and most standard AR/M4 type rifles too. We've been shooting it and it works well but has not officially entered production yet. Will use Black Dog magazines as well as some steel mags that are out there. We're working out final production details now and once it does enter production, lead times will be short for rapid delivery.

We have ARES SCR iron sights on 3 machines now and will be available this coming week when first batch is back from anodizing. They attach with no gunsmithing required and include a sling swivel on the front. Rear sight has a flip type aperture for 0-200 and a smaller aperture for longer distance; windage adjustable. Front is standard elevation adjustable post, just like what everyone is used to. I'll try to get a pic posted later today if I can. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 1 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top