Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 3 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:
Okay, I see how the BHO works now. It's not as bad as I though, since there's an actual slot with a plug that can be removed to install the BHO. I'd imagined it was more improvised and jammed in there. But I do agree that some kind of mechanism, other than adhesive, to make it stay in its slot would be helpful:
View Quote

You slide the BHO into the slot after you've removed the plug, and you push the lever so the BHO rides over the back of the slot and it clicks pretty firmly into place. It stays in pretty well, actually. On my rifle I've had no problems at all with the BHO being loose.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Ares_Defense:

Sure, if there's enough demonstrated demand for the nickel boron carrier and other parts we'll definitely bring them to market as an option for our customers. One of our vendors does an excellent job with NiB and a lot of our more discriminating customers demand it on the feed trays of our belt fed rifles, so it's something that we can definitely do. Thanks.
View Quote

As an scr owner, could i ship my bcg to you guys to have it sent out to get NiB coated?

Btw, my scr originally came with the 10lb trigger and your (Ares) customer service was really good/fast when installing the 5lb trigger.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]

No, we haven't connected on the Gunstruction app yet, but it's a great idea! In the meantime and for the MRP fans in the bunch, here's a Lewis Machine (LMT) MRP upper fitted to an ARES SCR lower with a wooden stock, bipod and Leupold optic.

http://i57.tinypic.com/9i9reo.jpg

View Quote

That's actually pretty awesome looking
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, I see how the BHO works now. It's not as bad as I though, since there's an actual slot with a plug that can be removed to install the BHO. I'd imagined it was more improvised and jammed in there. But I do agree that some kind of mechanism, other than adhesive, to make it stay in its slot would be helpful:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2vhzoeh.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/16tcuv.jpg
View Quote

It should already be installed on the rifle when you buy it. Raise the MSRP by $20 and have it pre-installed.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:27:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewVanitas] [#5]
Someone on another forum drew an interesting parallel to an earlier rifle that was also a "traditionalized" EBR:

Leader Dynamics T2/Australian Automatic Arms SAC. Developed in Australia as a potential replacement for the FAL: http://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/australian-automatic-arms-sac/

The standard rifle looked more like a cross between an AR-18 and a G36, same kind of stamped-metal construction as the AR-18,  but this sporting variant shown above is basically an AR-18 which has undergone a process similar to that seen on the Saiga and the SCR.

Is there a particular technical term for this process of turning a pistol-gripped rifle to a traditionally-stocked rifle, but one that results in pretty much the same number or rounds fired at the same velocity and rate?

Here's the "eeeeeeeevil" version for contrast:

The T2 sorta lives on as the Masterpiece Arms MPAR-556: http://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpar-556-rifle/

Maybe if the SCR and Saiga sell really well in ban states (though I understand the Saiga is already verboten in some), perhaps down the line MA will slap a trad buttstock on this AR-18-type, move the trigger back, and jump in the game?  Though it'll have basically none of the AR modularity the SCR has, so I think Ares is safe there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Someone on another forum drew an interesting parallel to an earlier rifle that was also a "traditionalized" EBR:

http://i60.tinypic.com/111o2vm.jpg

Leader Dynamics T2/Australian Automatic Arms SAC: http://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/australian-automatic-arms-sac/

The standard rifle looked more like a cross between an AR-18 and a G36, same kind of stamped-metal construction as the AR-18,  but this sporting variant shown above is basically an AR-18 which has undergone a process similar to that seen on the Saiga and the SCR.

Is there a particular technical term for this process of turning a pistol-gripped rifle to a traditionally-stocked rifle, but one that results in pretty much the same number or rounds fired at the same velocity and rate?

Here's the "eeeeeeeevil" version for contrast:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2nta8sm.jpg
View Quote

First thought was some kind of crazy bastardized FAL
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is my Polytech Hunter...

Got this in a trade recently, going to add a TechSight and optic mount...possibly a muzzle device.
Works with standard 30-round AK mags, but I also have a handful of 5-round mags for use during hunting season.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Heres my scr..  
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Heres my raptor charging handle that makes it almost feel like,a side charger as its so easy to pull back with the palm of my hand.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
ARES   any more details on the iron sights you are working on ?   How are they installed on the bbl ?   Release date/price ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice dude, I love how low you can have the optics with this setup.

Beautiful rifle!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Andromax:

Beautiful rifle!
View Quote

Overall I like the idea that the scope is so close to the bore axis. Only downside was I was considering getting the Bushnell AR 1-4x scope to dip my toe into the adjustable low-power world, but the Amazon listing has a warning that it needs at least medium-rise rings since it has a tower projecting downward from the body. So I'm considering the Millet DMS instead.

So all these years of people making low-mount scopes and the AR-15 shooters have to pu them up way high in cantilever mounts to get the right picture... and now that so much of the tactical market revolves around ARs we're stuck trying to figure out how to get irons and optics low enough on things like the SCR.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I have to admit I want one of these and I do not live in a ban state.

Would be nice for hunting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#15]
JC....is that yours ?   What handguard is that, nice look to it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Beautiful rifle!
View Quote

If thats to me, thanks. and although the scope is mounted on low rings, the cheek weld isn't quite what I would like it to be yet. If this stock was the Monte Carlo version I would probably get a proper cheek weld. I plan to put a pouch on the buttstock and build up some padding underneath it so I can get the proper cheek weld.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Overall I like the idea that the scope is so close to the bore axis. Only downside was I was considering getting the Bushnell AR 1-4x scope to dip my toe into the adjustable low-power world, but the Amazon listing has a warning that it needs at least medium-rise rings since it has a tower projecting downward from the body. So I'm considering the Millet DMS instead.

So all these years of people making low-mount scopes and the AR-15 shooters have to pu them up way high in cantilever mounts to get the right picture... and now that so much of the tactical market revolves around ARs we're stuck trying to figure out how to get irons and optics low enough on things like the SCR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Beautiful rifle!

for what it's worth I have the Bushnell ar optics 1-4 on my SCR and it sits on low rings. I did not get the model with the throw down lever on it as I didn't want or need the illuminated reticle. Perhaps the model with the Throwdown lever may have an issue with low rings but this one does not. I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:29:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ares_Defense] [#19]
Those are some great looking rifles! We love to see pics of what folks are doing with the ARES SCR and right now BMFGSXR and JC's rifles have my attention!

Keep 'em coming and please share the details of your handguards, barrels, optics, receivers, etc! Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mag162:

What rail is that on your SCR?
How did the install go?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mag162:
Originally Posted By bmfgsxr:
Heres my scr..  <a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/user/bmfsvt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150218_151713_zpsncnzkubi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/bmfsvt/Mobile%20Uploads/20150218_151713_zpsncnzkubi.jpg</a>

What rail is that on your SCR?
How did the install go?

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1266

Very lightweight, and small radius. It fits over the factory low pro gb no problem.. install was a breeze.  I am VERY happy with this handguard.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:27:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bmfgsxr] [#21]
Those are some great looking rifles! We love to see pics of what folks are doing with the ARES SCR and right now BMFGSXR and JC's rifles have my attention!

Keep 'em coming and please share the details of your handguards, barrels, optics, receivers, etc! Thanks.
View Quote

Thanks.

My rifle is the SCR 002.
I installed the midwest industries M1 Lightweight free float MLok 15" handguard
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1266

It has the Bushnell AR optics 1-4x 24mm sitting on low rings
http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm

Raptor charging handle

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-raptor-ambidextrous-charging-handle-5-56mm

Ares bolt catch

A pair of no name flip up/offset irons

As it sits, shooting xm193, on a bench with just a front rest i was shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yds.  I plan to grab some match grade ammo and use a rear bag to see how capable she is.

Thats pretty much it.  I have an idea for the mag release and if you want to hear it let me know who to email.

On another note, i spoke alot with DeLaine and she was very good with communication, and pleasant as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:25:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewVanitas] [#23]
If thats to me, thanks. and although the scope is mounted on low rings, the cheek weld isn't quite what I would like it to be yet. If this stock was the Monte Carlo version I would probably get a proper cheek weld. I plan to put a pouch on the buttstock and build up some padding underneath it so I can get the proper cheek weld.
View Quote

Huh, do folks figure that to use any scope/rings, you have to either have the Monte Carlo or a cheekrest, or do some optics mount low enough that even the non-MC stock would give proper cheekweld?

EDIT: also I was checking to see if the Remington 870 Youth stock would fit the SCR, but as I understand it only the 870/1100 stocks for the 12ga frame are compatible with the SCR? Since the Rem 20ga has a smaller/narrower frame, right? So if I want a shorter wooden stock on an SCR, I need to cut down a standard Remington stock?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Huh, do folks figure that to use any scope/rings, you have to either have the Monte Carlo or a cheekrest, or do some optics mount low enough that even the non-MC stock would give proper cheekweld?

EDIT: also I was checking to see if the Remington 870 Youth stock would fit the SCR, but as I understand it only the 870/1100 stocks for the 12ga frame are compatible with the SCR? Since the Rem 20ga has a smaller/narrower frame, right? So if I want a shorter wooden stock on an SCR, I need to cut down a standard Remington stock?
View All Quotes

since my scope is mounted on low rings and the  buttstock still is not high enough I imagine most rifles would need either the Monte Carlo stock or a cheek riser.

Its possible with the standard butt stock and something like a micro red dot that gets mounted directly to the rail that you may be able to get a proper cheek weld. But with any type of optic that gets mounted on rings I don't think the standard stock will give you a proper cheek weld.

Additionally, Ares does offer a third stock option which is called the short sporter stock. Obviously mine is this standard sporter stock, and of course they offer the monthly Carlo stock too. For someone who wants a shorter stock the short sporter is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Okay, that is sexy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By Rontalvos:
You slide the BHO into the slot after you've removed the plug, and you push the lever so the BHO rides over the back of the slot and it clicks pretty firmly into place. It stays in pretty well, actually. On my rifle I've had no problems at all with the BHO being loose.
View All Quotes

Mine definitely does not click into place.  It falls right out (onto the ground) when I change uppers at the range.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Some pretty slick looking guns
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:10:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewVanitas] [#29]
No, we haven't connected on the Gunstruction app yet, but it's a great idea! In the meantime and for the MRP fans in the bunch, here's a Lewis Machine (LMT) MRP upper fitted to an ARES SCR lower with a wooden stock, bipod and Leupold optic.

View Quote

Can't quite figure out what mid-century rifle this vaguely reminds me of... MAS 49?

There's that whole family of trad-stocked semi-auto rifles coming from like 1940 up until 1960 or so: M1 Garand and M14, FN49, Swedish Ag/m42 Ljungman, French MAS 49, Egyptian Hakim, Czech VZ52, Soviet SVT40, SKS, German G43. I think it's the MAS that the wood-stock SCR reminds me of because of the 2-piece stock.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:41:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#30]
Question:  Are the FCG a standard AR hammer with custom trigger or ?

And damnit, this thread is going to turn my next AR build (I don't have one at the moment) into a SCR build.  Probably going to do 14.5" lightweight when I get working again.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:42:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
View Quote

No, it's proprietary
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

No, it's proprietary
View All Quotes

No, it's proprietary

Thanks.  I was looking at the pin locations and going  Figured as much.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:30:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coldblue] [#33]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:16:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewVanitas] [#34]

No, it's proprietary
View All Quotes

No, it's proprietary

One of the other comments I'd seen in some reviews was that the hammer is thinner on the SCR than on a standard AR lower (presumably due to space limitations when they reworked the frame?). Is there any concern that this impacts reliability/durability, or is it a non-issue?

I've been perusing SCR threads on various forums, and I think this is the best one so far this year, in terms of that we're getting popular questions answered pretty well, and getting more examples of builds posted (some of that because we're compiling publicly-posted build pics off other forums).
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Coldblue....what cheek pad is that ?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#36]

One of the other comments I'd seen in some reviews was that the hammer is thinner on the SCR than on a standard AR lower (presumably due to space limitations when they reworked the frame?). Is there any concern that this impacts reliability/durability, or is it a non-issue?

I've been perusing SCR threads on various forums, and I think this is the best one so far this year, in terms of that we're getting popular questions answered pretty well, and getting more examples of builds posted (some of that because we're compiling publicly-posted build pics off other forums).
View All Quotes

No, it's proprietary

The fire control group is proprietary and the hammer is thinner but is a non-issue. We have pumped thousands of Lake City M193 & M855 rounds down range with no issues at all & the lock time is slightly faster than a standard AR hammer due to the reduced mass.

Agree with your thread comments; there's some great pics and information exchange. Thank you all for your interest in this system.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#37]

The fire control group is proprietary and the hammer is thinner but is a non-issue. We have pumped thousands of Lake City M193 & M855 rounds down range with no issues at all & the lock time is slightly faster than a standard AR hammer due to the reduced mass.

Agree with your thread comments; there's some great pics and information exchange. Thank you all for your interest in this system.
View All Quotes

No, it's proprietary

Mostly was curious since I think one of these as a HBAR target gun with 2.5# trigger would be fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By roland65:
Coldblue....what cheek pad is that ?
View Quote

The brand on that specific cheek pad is "Fox Tactical" and it has a pouch on one side that can hold a 20-round mag, etc. We only had a few of them and we haven't been able to locate them on the Fox Tactical website to order any more. But, if you google "butt stock pouch" and hit the image button for results, you'll see that there are plenty of them out there with varying degrees of utility and quality.  They are a great addition to the ARES SCR and provide a lot of functionality in that you can both store stuff inside them and also pad them up underneath to get a perfect, non-slip cheek weld for your favorite optic/mount combo.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2hyxoqv.jpg

Got this in a trade recently, going to add a TechSight and optic mount...possibly a muzzle device.
Works with standard 30-round AK mags, but I also have a handful of 5-round mags for use during hunting season.
View Quote

That thing is beautiful. It's perfect as-is. Sell it to me instead of modifying it!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#41]

That thing is beautiful. It's perfect as-is. Sell it to me instead of modifying it!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2hyxoqv.jpg

The rear sight is horrible, I mean really bad, so the TechSight upgrade is necessary.
The only other mod will likely be the side optic mount commonly found on many AKs today, then I can put a Primary Arms 1-6x 7.62 ACSS scope on it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#42]
So far in the thread we've had AR-15s with a traditional stock, and an AR-18 and an AK. Now we just need to find someone making a V-58 with a traditional stock. That'd be awesome.

I'll probably just stick with 5.56mm for simplicity and because I have a good amount stocked up, but the big-bore options (.458, .50)  are pretty cool. I actually almost bought an old Ruger Deerfield .44 Mag semi-auto rifle as my DC-legal household gat, but dropped all other ideas when the SCR showed up. While maybe a used Deerfield would be a little cheaper, the versatility of the SCR is what sold me. If work stuff hadn't changed, I might've been the first guy to register one in Washington DC (in DC all firearms have to be individually registered with Metro PD) since I was on the waitlist, but I couldn't buy one because leaving the country, but I understand at least two people (at least one an AR15.com member) have legal SCRs in our nation's capital currently.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:38:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ares_Defense] [#43]
We've been getting steady requests for gas piston compatibility with the ARES SCR, so we're bringing a kit to market that will fall within our patented GXR Gas Piston Retrofit Kit product line and that will readily install in about 10 minutes with no gunsmithing required. The GXR kit is carbine length and is compatible with many handguards including Daniel Defense Gas Piston Omega Rail, Midwest Industries Drop In carbine handguard, Magpul MOE, Diamondhead rail systems, Bravo Company Keymod to name a few.

These will be going on sale within the next 2 weeks. In the meantime, here's a sneak peek from part of an endurance test of the ARES SCR with an ARES Defense GXR gas piston retrofit kit installed for the piston fans in the crowd. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/XjCrD6mjYac
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#44]
PLEASE....any info on the iron sights ?   How is the front one mounted ?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By roland65:
PLEASE....any info on the iron sights ?   How is the front one mounted ?
View Quote

Yes, they should begin shipping by Tuesday or Wednesday of this coming week and include a sling swivel that's part of the front sight housing. We'll keep you posted and try to get some pictures up tomorrow that will show mounting details. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:10:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hanz] [#46]

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks Hanz, how'd you fix it?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:28:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hanz] [#48]

View Quote
You're welcome.  I think you have to be a team member to embed.  Then I keep clicking different things and editing the post until it works  

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Hanz:
You're welcome.  I think you have to be a team member to embed.  Then I keep clicking different things and editing the post until it works    
View All Quotes

Got it, Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Got it, Thanks again!
View All Quotes

Got it, Thanks again!

What part of FL are you folks from?
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 3 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top