Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 21 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

Don't quote me here since I didn't do manufacture when I was doing FFL work, but changing important stuff like names and addresses on lowers requires ATF approval for a variance or new marking.  So they could also have a stack of them waiting to be finished and then anodized once it's approved.

Also, this new format is fucking weird. 
View Quote

So did the other rifles and lowers they make have a temporary hold on them too?    Cuz it looked like they were on the sight the day they changed the name.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:56:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I have said it before.

If Magpul comes out with a 1100 stock that would work with the SCR you will see a ton more sold.

Do that and a side charger upper with a right side reciprocating bolt handle like Young MFG makes and it will help out.  

I think the left handed charging handles like the matrix or Gibbz work better from the probe or bench where the right hand side work better from standing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By stre-tch:
I have said it before.

If Magpul comes out with a 1100 stock that would work with the SCR you will see a ton more sold.

Do that and a side charger upper with a right side reciprocating bolt handle like Young MFG makes and it will help out.  

I think the left handed charging handles like the matrix or Gibbz work better from the probe or bench where the right hand side work better from standing.
View Quote

Would it not be better (for a right-handed shooter) to have a left side charging handle to allow you to maintain your firing hand positioning during a reload?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FIELD_MP:
Would it not be better (for a right-handed shooter) to have a left side charging handle to allow you to maintain your firing hand positioning during a reload?
View Quote

On a short AR, sure.  With a conventional rifle stock it's a bit more awkward to drop your support hand and support it with your firing hand only.
The right side charger might be a little more fudd-ish, but I think it's better than an AR charging handle in this application.
Plus, if you're used to auto shotguns, auto (non-military) rifles or bolt guns, it makes more sense.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

On a short AR, sure.  With a conventional rifle stock it's a bit more awkward to drop your support hand and support it with your firing hand only.
The right side charger might be a little more fudd-ish, but I think it's better than an AR charging handle in this application.
Plus, if you're used to auto shotguns, auto (non-military) rifles or bolt guns, it makes more sense.
View Quote

I've actually been thinking the same thing. My current build is coming together with an ASA side charging upper, but my next upper for SCR I have been eyeing the right side reciprocating AR Stoner upper on Midway. I'll have to search through here and see if anyone has done that yet.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Exactly:

I have a Gibbz arms non reciprocating left hand side charging upper.

It is great from the prone and bench. Off hand isn't bad with a pistol grip set up like the AR 15 has but if you had a conventional stock like the SCR it would be harder to manipulate (esapecially is you put a heavy silencer on the end of it like I do).

On something as light as a 22lr upper or SBR but something heavier might be a harder to manipulate.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Been wanting one of these for a long time

Very pissed I didn't buy it for $700 during the gander mountain sale this summer
With the new price hike it looks like it will be even longer

The upper is worth $300 MAX
Which means they are now valuing their lowers at around $800, it will be interested to see if they reintroduce the lower/carrier and how much it jumps, respectively

$800 for a polymer lower/stock with less parts than a regular AR and is pretty crazy, even paying for R&D. Oh well, demands seems to be there so more power to them, I'll continue to wait

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cj3waker:
$800 for a polymer lower/stock with less parts than a regular AR and is pretty crazy, even paying for R&D. Oh well, demands seems to be there so more power to them, I'll continue to wait
View Quote

Yeah, I used to make the argument that $500 for a custom lower, lpk, buffer, stock and bolt carrier wasn't too bad.  At $800, that's not an argument that I can make with a straight face anymore.  Especially since the factory stock is ... well ... meh.  I will most likely be replacing the one on my second SCR (Gander sale ), like I did on my first.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't been following the happenings on the SCR.  Is my lower suddenly worth a lot of money?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Medicfrost:
I haven't been following the happenings on the SCR.  Is my lower suddenly worth a lot of money?
View Quote

Well is definitely not worth any less at this point.
People are just speculating on lower prices based on the new MSRP of full rifles.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#11]
They posted this picture to Facebook and instagram the other day.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:
They posted this picture to Facebook and instagram the other day.
View Quote

I hope they have more than that. Because those won't last.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:

View Quote

At their new price, I think they'll last a looong time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Rontalvos:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What are they selling their new lowers at?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish the mag well was just a little bit deeper.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#16]
It doesn't list just the lowers like before, hope they will offer that option like before
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:44:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#17]
A start to my next build:

Parts purchased specifically for this build:
SCR lower (purchased as complete SCR at Gander that was on sale)
Knight's ambi mag release
Badger enhanced bolt catch
JP yellow hammer spring
Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP (Black Friday sale )
American Defense Recon-SL bolt action QD mount
M-Lok bipod adapter
Harris 6-9" bipod

Parts from other builds that may be replaced:
Geissele 13" SMR Mk4 M-Lok
ASA side-charging upper (SCR carrier has not been notched yet)
Rainier Arms 16" Rock Creek intermediate lightweight barrel
INFORCE WML

Overall, I'm trying for a SCR SPR that is NYSAFE compliant.  I want to go with a longer (18"), heavier profile (though, possibly fluted) barrel.  However, without a pistol grip, the front end becomes a bit more difficult to manage.  The current 16" barrel is 28 oz and most 18" barrels with an appropriate profile are 34-40 oz.  So, if can find a lighter-weight (but still durable) handguard to help knock some off of the SMR Mk4's 12.9 oz, that would help.

The Recon-SL mount keeps the optic lower than traditional AR rings, which fits the SCR better, but it's still high for the Sporter stock (I use medium rings, which are slightly lower, with the TAC-30 on my straight stock SCR and it works well with that stock.)  I'm thinking about replacing the factory stock and/or adding a cheek riser (I've been considering the Bradley riser for a long time.)  A secondary benefit to replacing it would be that I find the factory stock a little light and also thin in the grip, so I could remedy that.

The M-Lok bipod adapter keeps the Harris a little closer to the handguard than the original Pic mount that I had.  However, it still doesn't fit the streamlined SCR that well.  Plus, it's not the lightest thing out there.  I'll look at alternatives.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

No they wont. They will be a hot item in CA, come the first of the year.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By coldblue:
Great start. You might look at the Warne rings on the 30mm scope I have on the camo stock SCR on the previous page. They lower the scope as much as possible and mount forward enough for my correct eye relief. Another benefit is the forward ring slips over the rear of the forend rail as an "anti rotation" lock.
View Quote

Thanks.  Your builds definitely inspired me.

It looks like you had a typical AR-height (same as "extra high" rings) QD mount on your older build, right?  Because it's designed for bolt actions, the Recon-SL is lower, between that and medium rings (which I have my other SCR), so it's not too tall; probably just right for a MC stock.  Currently, the eye relief is pretty much where I'd want it at all magnification levels, but I do have a slot or two that I can move it forward and still have the mount's cross-bar on the upper.  Really, though, I'll have to re-evaluate once I choose a stock to install.  For example, you mentioned that the Boyd's stock has a longer LOP and it clearly has a lower comb than a MC stock.

Next step, though, is settling on a barrel.  Don't think I can justify a custom Krieger like the one on yours, even as nice as it is.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#22]
coldblue: Just saw that your SCR is FightLite's cover photo on Facebook.  Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:33:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lamer01] [#24]
Hi, new user here from 'ban' state (CT). I would like an SCR, most likely I would like to build my own using a lower although I have zero experience doing so. The custom SCRs look so much better.
What parts would I need for reliable well functioning SCR? I assume a pre-built upper would be the easiest avenue. What do you guys recommend?
Also, if anyone has any idea where to get a lower I would greatly appreciate that.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By lamer01:   Hi, new user here from 'ban' state (CT). I would like an SCR, most likely I would like to build my own using a lower although I have zero experience doing so. The custom SCRs look so much better.
What parts would I need for reliable well functioning SCR? I assume a pre-built upper would be the easiest avenue. What do you guys recommend?
Also, if anyone has any idea where to get a lower I would greatly appreciate that.

Thanks
View Quote

The way your AWB is written, I don't know if the SCR is legal in the PDRK.  It has parts of the action above the fingers on the trigger hand - the same language that banned the AR.  You might be able to throw a Faxxon ARAK upper on it and be set, but I don't know if the SCR's hammer lines up w/ the ARAK's firing pin.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:44:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#26]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
You might be able to throw a Faxxon ARAK upper on it and be set, but I don't know if the SCR's hammer lines up w/ the ARAK's firing pin.
View Quote

Go to 5:37:
SHOT Show 2016: Faxon Firearms New Products
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#27]
At that price I really hope they include a better barrel and upper this time around.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

The way your AWB is written, I don't know if the SCR is legal in the PDRK.  It has parts of the action above the fingers on the trigger hand - the same language that banned the AR.  You might be able to throw a Faxxon ARAK upper on it and be set, but I don't know if the SCR's hammer lines up w/ the ARAK's firing pin.
View Quote

Well, I frequent some CT specific forums and the Ares scr was considered ok, it was sold in the state until stock ran out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:

Go to 5:37:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSpGJmcIdwo
View Quote

That looks great but $1200 just for the upper? What would be the best upper for the SCR let's say for no more than $700 all parts included?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 2:05:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#30]
Originally Posted By lamer01:
That looks great but $1200 just for the upper? What would be the best upper for the SCR let's say for no more than $700 all parts included?
View Quote

A lot of people like side charging uppers on their SCRs.  ASA makes a very nice one, but it would eat up much of your budget.  Plus, you have to have a notch cut into the SCR bolt carrier.  Many have used one of the New Frontier, Spartan, X-Products, etc, ones that all use basically the same handle.  They're nice and not too expensive, but there is a slot cover behind the changing handle that extends behind the receiver when charging it.  Matrix is the newest player and theirs seems like a great fit.  However, it does have a forward assist, which does nothing on an SCR.

From there, pick one of many quality barrels.  16" works well, unless you are specifically going precision build.  Remember that a traditional stock lower makes it longer than an AR for the same size barrel.  Likewise, a heavy barrel doesn't balance as well when removing your off/support hand for mag changes.  Something like a Faxon Gunner barrel would be light and good quality without breaking the bank.  Add on any handguard of your choice (Midwest Industries, 2A Armament BL, etc, etc.)  I would lean toward something w/ M-Lok or Keymod, again to keep the balance better.  My preference is the 12" length, but many here like the 15" rails.  The lower (if you can find one) comes with a bolt carrier, so all you need is bolt.  Any quality one will do.  

An ambi mag release is highly recommended for you lower, too.  Some like the Odin; I like the Knights; the Troy works if you flip the paddle.  

In general, these make very handy, light carbines.  However, you can also build them heavy, if you prefer.  I have one of each.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:  Go to 5:37:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSpGJmcIdwo
View Quote

Good to know.  That's the answer if CT's AG follows the PDRM's AG and takes a shot @ the Ares.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#32]

A lot of people like side charging uppers on their SCRs.  ASA makes a very nice one, but it would eat up much of your budget.  Plus, you have to have a notch cut into the SCR bolt carrier.  Many have used one of the New Frontier, Spartan, X-Products, etc, ones that all use basically the same handle.  They're nice and not too expensive, but there is a slot cover behind the changing handle that extends behind the receiver when charging it.  Matrix is the newest player and theirs seems like a great fit.  However, it does have a forward assist, which does nothing on an SCR.

From there, pick one of many quality barrels.  16" works well, unless you are specifically going precision build.  Remember that a traditional stock lower makes it longer than an AR for the same size barrel.  Likewise, a heavy barrel doesn't balance as well when removing your off/support hand for mag changes.  Something like a Faxon Gunner barrel would be light and good quality without breaking the bank.  Add on any handguard of your choice (Midwest Industries, 2A Armament BL, etc, etc.)  I would lean toward something w/ M-Lok or Keymod, again to keep the balance better.  My preference is the 12" length, but many here like the 15" rails.  The lower (if you can find one) comes with a bolt carrier, so all you need is bolt.  Any quality one will do.  

An ambi mag release is highly recommended for you lower, too.  Some like the Odin; I like the Knights; the Troy works if you flip the paddle.  

In general, these make very handy, light carbines.  However, you can also build them heavy, if you prefer.  I have one of each.
View Quote

Thx, so something like this:  (on sale)
http://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_221_27

Would I need the BCG or not?
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:53:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#33]
Originally Posted By lamer01:

Thx, so something like this:  (on sale)
http://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_221_27

Would I need the BCG or not?
View Quote

There are a few things in that upper that I wouldn't choose, but some of it is personal preference.  First, no, you don't need the BCG.  All you need is a bolt, as the SCR comes with its own proprietary bolt carrier (front half is AR carrier; back half is chopped off and replaced with a "rat tail".)  Second, that upper has a forward assist.  There is nothing on the SCR carrier for it to engage, since the back half is removed, so pushing it does nothing.  I prefer an upper without one, but some like the look.  Third, I'm not a fan of quad rails, as they tend to be wide and heavy, and most people won't use the majority of the rail.  Not sure what brand of rail that is, but it looks particularly "fat" (large diameter.)  That's personal preference, as some do like it that way.  Finally, not a big deal, but the barrel has an M4 profile, which usually means that it has the unnecessary M203 mount cutout.  You won't see it under the rail, but it's an unneeded interruption to the barrel's profile.  

Nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't see it as particularly well-suited for an SCR.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#34]

There are a few things in that upper that I wouldn't choose, but some of it is personal preference.  First, no, you don't need the BCG.  All you need is a bolt, as the SCR comes with its own proprietary bolt carrier (front half is AR carrier; back half is chopped off and replaced with a "rat tail".)  Second, that upper has a forward assist.  There is nothing on the SCR carrier for it to engage, since the back half is removed, so pushing it does nothing.  I prefer an upper without one, but some like the look.  Third, I'm not a fan of quad rails, as they tend to be wide and heavy, and most people won't use the majority of the rail.  Not sure what brand of rail that is, but it looks particularly "fat" (large diameter.)  That's personal preference, as some do like it that way.  Finally, not a big deal, but the barrel has an M4, which usually means that it has the unnecessary M203 mount cutout.  You won't see it under the rail, but it's an unneeded interruption to the barrel's profile.  

Nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't see it as particularly well-suited for an SCR.
View Quote

Lots of great knowledge in your reply. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#35]
So to recap:

Ares is now called FightLite Industries, and has driven up the cost of the SCR/SCR Lower in order to capitalize on the CA/NY market. They also don't have any SCRs or lowers for sale at the moment, and may or may not even sell the lowers separately.

Is this more or less correct?

I'm pissed, because as the Pennsylvania half of a PA/NY geographically separated dual-career couple, I really want to get a couple of the SCR lowers so my wife can have her AR up there, and I can bring mine up when I want to shoot in the PRNY.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Yeah except theres no mention of whether or not lowers will be available and even if they are he's selling complete rifles for $6k+ so I can only imagine what he'd want for lowers if made available.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah except theres no mention of whether or not lowers will be available and even if they are he's selling complete rifles for $6k+ so I can only imagine what he'd want for lowers if made available.
View Quote

Top pic isn't a FightLite/Ares, it's all JJFU, but it sure looks similar
Bottom pic is from FightLite.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Yeah, they had to have licensed it to him to produce a high-end ($$$) version.  It's not like they are even keeping up with demand for the low end.  Here's some more pics:

Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Yeah, I was referring to the top pic. I should've been more specific.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:48:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Yeah, they had to have licensed it to him to produce a high-end ($$) version.  It's not like they are even keeping up with demand for the low end.  Here's some more pics:

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/16142866_1227006594053026_5773214686885770315_n.jpg?oh=acf21993ccc0aaff01ae7e69a549f49a&oe=5907E9C0

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/a.gif
View Quote

For the love of god, where did you get that top pic? That stock is gorgeous.... and seeing as how I may be transferring to California soon(not by choice) I'm looking at adding a couple more SCR lowers to my collection(have one already).
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:07:08 AM EDT
[#42]
The top pic is from SHOT of Jesse James Buttplugs Unlimited. 

My guess is a AAA walnut Remmy 1100 stock modified for the SCR. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:
For the love of god, where did you get that top pic? That stock is gorgeous.... and seeing as how I may be transferring to California soon(not by choice) I'm looking at adding a couple more SCR lowers to my collection(have one already).
View Quote

It's from Jesse James Firearms Unlimited's Facebook page.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I like the lines of the extended mag well much better than a standard SCR. I just don't there is enough material and the mag wobbles quite a bit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Castillo:
I like the lines of the extended mag well much better than a standard SCR. I just don't there is enough material and the mag wobbles quite a bit.
View Quote

If you're using 20's or 30's, perhaps, but not so much with 5's and 10's.  At least, they haven't with either of my SCR receivers.  

Actually, my biggest complaint with their magwell is that it transitions from a very flat angle to vertical with a very sharp corner.  I may take a file to one of mine to see if it helps with loading quickly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#46]

If you're using 20's or 30's, perhaps, but not so much with 5's and 10's.  At least, they haven't with either of my SCR receivers.  

Actually, my biggest complaint with their magwell is that it transitions from a very flat angle to vertical with a very sharp corner.  I may take a file to one of mine to see if it helps with loading quickly.
View Quote

I could see flaring the magwell a little bit helping nicely. Lookin forward to seeing your mod!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I saw the FightLight CEO at the JJFU booth during SHOT Show examining their version and he looked super pissed.  I don't think they are working together on this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Supra_MK3:

I saw the FightLight CEO at the JJFU booth during SHOT Show examining their version and he looked super pissed.  I don't think they are working together on this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

In that case maybe he'll be motivated to ramp up production.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Well JJFU might get their shit pushed in then.  I would be okay with that. 
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Jesse James will probably find himself in court most ricky ticky as Ares/Flight Lite have a patent on that design.
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 21 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top