Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 2 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coldblue:
Doing mine a little different. Keep it minimal and low profile.  Since installing the KAC 3.1 required barrel removal, I substituted an extra upper with an integral case deflector in the process.
The forward assist is of course non-functional, so I plugged it. Love the feel of this rifle...and it has all the muscle memory of my first .22 and shotgun.
<a href="http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/D_A_Lutz/media/SCR%20Phase%201a_zps30mbn6db.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q759/D_A_Lutz/SCR%20Phase%201a_zps30mbn6db.jpg</a>
View Quote

Is that Weaver a K4? If so I have the same one packed away in a drawer back at home; maybe I'll just use that until I can rationalize buying some fancier optic for the SCR. Did you have any trouble figuring out picatinny rings low enough for the line-of-sight, but high enough for the bell to clear?

@Ares, thanks for coming in to update, makes it way easier than us speculating or passing along rumor. Looking forward to seeing what y'all have figured out for the sights.

Have you considered getting Gunstruction to add your lower to their app so that people can "visualize" their build with the program? Without it, the closest thing is just the ghastly CA-legal Stag lower/stock in my image above.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:

Is that Weaver a K4? If so I have the same one packed away in a drawer back at home; maybe I'll just use that until I can rationalize buying some fancier optic for the SCR. Did you have any trouble figuring out picatinny rings low enough for the line-of-sight, but high enough for the bell to clear?

@Ares, thanks for coming in to update, makes it way easier than us speculating or passing along rumor. Looking forward to seeing what y'all have figured out for the sights.

Have you considered getting Gunstruction to add your lower to their app so that people can "visualize" their build with the program? Without it, the closest thing is just the ghastly CA-legal Stag lower/stock in my image above.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Doing mine a little different. Keep it minimal and low profile.  Since installing the KAC 3.1 required barrel removal, I substituted an extra upper with an integral case deflector in the process.
The forward assist is of course non-functional, so I plugged it. Love the feel of this rifle...and it has all the muscle memory of my first .22 and shotgun.
<a href="http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/D_A_Lutz/media/SCR%20Phase%201a_zps30mbn6db.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q759/D_A_Lutz/SCR%20Phase%201a_zps30mbn6db.jpg</a>

Thank you & we appreciate your interest; it's a neat rifle and one of our best sellers. Here's a pic of the described iron sights before anodizing, although admittedly a bit difficult to see when fitted to a nickel boron plated ARES SCR (plating not a stock option yet) on a white background.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes

No, we haven't connected on the Gunstruction app yet, but it's a great idea! In the meantime and for the MRP fans in the bunch, here's a Lewis Machine (LMT) MRP upper fitted to an ARES SCR lower with a wooden stock, bipod and Leupold optic.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you tell us definitively what stocks will fit with what modifications? I know that's one of the biggest questions I see.

Also, any ETA on when/if NiB will become an option for just the bcg? That's the main thing holding me back from ordering one is I want to get it with a coated BCG, I plan to use it as a 6.8 hunting rifle and weather(good or bad) doesn't usually scare me out of the woods, so it's just nice to have that little extra piece of mind for corrosion resistance.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ares_Defense:
In the meantime and for the MRP fans in the bunch, here's a Lewis Machine (LMT) MRP upper fitted to an ARES SCR lower with a wooden stock, bipod and Leupold optic.

http://i57.tinypic.com/9i9reo.jpg

View Quote

Welp, stick a fork in the Mini-14, she done for now...

I had initially pondered a wooden stock, but then decided I'd just get wood-pattern hyrdro-dip for the issue stock and an aftermarket keymod forend, get a "wood-paneled station wagon" kinda retro look, but that wooden stock you have there is making me think twice...

For those sights, so you have a low rear, but the front you have is a gasblock-mount one, yes? Don't get me wrong, that's still a great option to have, though me personally I would prefer to have a front sight (matching that rear you have there) which mounts at the same height  as the rear, so both could share a joined/monlithic rail. But hey, not every accessory for this is going to appear in the same week, understood.

While we're throwing out ideas, I'll idly chuck out the suggestion that, if your standard stock is mostly hollow (other than the recoil angled tube), maybe a trapdoor buttplate would be useful? Especially if part of the market for this is traditional outdoorsmen, or people who need a lightweight and standardized "survival" rifle for the boondocks.

Really glad to see the project coming along. I know a lot of folks were apprehensive at first since the Shrike just took forever and a day, but y'all got this design on the market pretty promptly once you made your mind to (understanding the design itself floated around your shop for many years). And a lot of folks were less than thrilled when the initial trigger was 10lb and it was only sold as a complete rifle, but y'all have tackled both those criticisms within the first 6 months or so of being on the market. So overall while not 100% smooth, this rollout seems to have gone pretty well.

I was on the pre-order list for this, but ended up being just about to leave the country for the rest of the year when the rifle finally dropped, but I'll have my own once things get settled back in.

Seeing these pics of things you're trying out really helps get the ideas going.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#6]
That looks like a handy backcountry rifle.

I want one just because it will work with a whole bunch of other stuff I have.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:
Can you tell us definitively what stocks will fit with what modifications? I know that's one of the biggest questions I see.

Also, any ETA on when/if NiB will become an option for just the bcg? That's the main thing holding me back from ordering one is I want to get it with a coated BCG, I plan to use it as a 6.8 hunting rifle and weather(good or bad) doesn't usually scare me out of the woods, so it's just nice to have that little extra piece of mind for corrosion resistance.
View Quote

Remington 870 or 1100 stocks should fit with some modifications. The through hole for the recoil tube to pass through must be at least 5/8" diameter drilled through and there's also a counterbore needed on the receiver interface end of the stock. The length of the stock where the tube passes through is also important to match so that the stock tightens appropriately. I've seen a few ARES SCR rifles out there where folks have purchased a laminated 870 stock with matching laminated wood M4 carbine hand guard from Boyd's and assembled some great looking rifles with wood furniture.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#8]

I had initially pondered a wooden stock, but then decided I'd just get wood-pattern hyrdro-dip for the issue stock and an aftermarket keymod forend, get a "wood-paneled station wagon" kinda retro look, but that wooden stock you have there is making me think twice...

For those sights, so you have a low rear, but the front you have is a gasblock-mount one, yes? Don't get me wrong, that's still a great option to have, though me personally I would prefer to have a front sight (matching that rear you have there) which mounts at the same height  as the rear, so both could share a joined/monlithic rail. But hey, not every accessory for this is going to appear in the same week, understood.

While we're throwing out ideas, I'll idly chuck out the suggestion that, if your standard stock is mostly hollow (other than the recoil angled tube), maybe a trapdoor buttplate would be useful? Especially if part of the market for this is traditional outdoorsmen, or people who need a lightweight and standardized "survival" rifle for the boondocks.

Really glad to see the project coming along. I know a lot of folks were apprehensive at first since the Shrike just took forever and a day, but y'all got this design on the market pretty promptly once you made your mind to (understanding the design itself floated around your shop for many years). And a lot of folks were less than thrilled when the initial trigger was 10lb and it was only sold as a complete rifle, but y'all have tackled both those criticisms within the first 6 months or so of being on the market. So overall while not 100% smooth, this rollout seems to have gone pretty well.

I was on the pre-order list for this, but ended up being just about to leave the country for the rest of the year when the rifle finally dropped, but I'll have my own once things get settled back in.

View All Quotes
In the meantime and for the MRP fans in the bunch, here's a Lewis Machine (LMT) MRP upper fitted to an ARES SCR lower with a wooden stock, bipod and Leupold optic.

http://i57.tinypic.com/9i9reo.jpg

Thanks for your comments and questions. The Shrike was technically more challenging to build over the ARES SCR due to everything going on with mag/ belt feed, quick-change barrel, working around a stock lower, building many proprietary and tolerance sensitive components in house, etc. On the other hand, the ARES SCR was a much greater challenge to get the ergonomics (human factors) right. It was actually redesigned from the ground up about 4 times before the ergonomics and high volume producibility (without sacrificing quality) was satisfactory to the chief designer and other members of the design team. In the end, we're very satisfied with the way that both products have turned out. And at 5.7 lbs out of the box, the ARES SCR handles and performs very well and is really liked by the folks who have them in both the ban states, and in other parts of the country where folks prefer a more traditional pattern rifle but appreciate the modularity of the AR platform.

The sights shown are a matched pair and are about 3/4" lower than standard AR sights. While the front might appear higher, it's not. The post height in its neutral position is dead center of the rear sight aperture. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:45:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Remington 870 or 1100 stocks should fit with some modifications. The through hole for the recoil tube to pass through must be at least 5/8" diameter drilled through and there's also a counterbore needed on the receiver interface end of the stock. The length of the stock where the tube passes through is also important to match so that the stock tightens appropriately. I've seen a few ARES SCR rifles out there where folks have purchased a laminated 870 stock with matching laminated wood M4 carbine hand guard from Boyd's and assembled some great looking rifles with wood furniture.
View All Quotes

Have you guys thought about selling a buffer tube of sorts.  Just a tube of the appropriate size/shape for the bolt to cycle, but you just need to drill a stock for the OD of said tube to work?  Kind of like the A2 style stock assembly, but with a monte carlo stock instead.  Just slip a drilled stock over the tube, and bam!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone wanna take bets on how long before someone tries to modify a Magpul 870 stock to fit? lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Just stumbled in to this thread... Thanks a lot. Now I have to go buy one of these.

Awesome looking rifles.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:00:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewVanitas] [#13]
Another Ares question: is there a reason that the magwell can't be (more) flared? That's one criticism I've seen in a few reviews. Not a game-ruiner for me at all, but given a choice I'd certainly prefer a slight magwell flare rather than none, to help funnel the mag up to towards the chamber.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#14]
would a 458 socom or 50 beowulf upper work on this ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:39:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bushmaster1984] [#15]
Real glad to see interest in these. A local shop near DC had one. I handled it and really liked the light weight and feel to it. Would buy over a mini 14 without a second thought. I'd slap a little t1 on that and call it good
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Bushmaster1984:
Real glad to see interest in these. A local shop near DC had one. I handled it and really liked the light weight and feel to it. Would buy over a mini 14 without a second thought. I'd slap a little t1 on that and call it good
View Quote

Aimpoint T1's rule for size, clarity, durability and battery life. Definitely one of our favorite optics. Here's how they sit with a Bravo Company 13.5" Keymod.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jwb47:
View Quote

Both are popular additions for these lowers, with a higher majority seeming to go for the .458 due to range of projectiles available.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Another Ares question: is there a reason that the magwell can't be (more) flared? That's one criticism I've seen in a few reviews. Not a game-ruiner for me at all, but given a choice I'd certainly prefer a slight magwell flare rather than none, to help funnel the mag up to towards the chamber.

http://i59.tinypic.com/33ah1na.jpg
View Quote

We could flare the mag well more, but opted for slightly less bevel for more mag support, due to the length of the mag well. Mag changes aren't bad though.

http://youtu.be/MFJihS6T5zg
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Aimpoint T1's rule for size, clarity, durability and battery life. Definitely one of our favorite optics. Here's how they sit with a Bravo Company 13.5" Keymod.

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ares-defense-scr-shipping-3.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bushmaster1984:

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ares-defense-scr-shipping-3.jpg

They rock. I'm running an H1 on my steyr scout.

Thanks for this rifle. As a former NY resident I really appreciate this gun being on the market
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#20]
The more pictures I see of this rifle, the more I want one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SuperV:
View Quote

I might have to build a side charging 6.8 to throw on one of these as a drive gun for my dad to replace the ol' Rem 742
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Both are popular additions for these lowers, with a higher majority seeming to go for the .458 due to range of projectiles available.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jwb47:

thank you very much for the info I have a 458 socom and a 50 beowulf . In the near future I plan to build another big bore based off the socom case  . I can see one of these lowers on my shopping list for parts .
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

I might have to build a side charging 6.8 to throw on one of these as a drive gun for my dad to replace the ol' Rem 742
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
Originally Posted By SuperV:

I'll get pics up of mine as soon as I get it finished, but that's exactly what I'm building.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:16:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Castillo] [#24]

http://i59.tinypic.com/33ah1na.jpg
View Quote

Being as the mag well is so short, magazines already have a bit of play to them. Adding a beveled edge would only increase the amount of wobble.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I feel like I need one to piss off a liberal. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Any info on the second question in my post?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: factionfx] [#27]
I just picked up my ARES SCR lower last week and got to shoot it this weekend.  Here is my feedback.

I live in a non-ban state, so I picked this up just for fun.  I've always wanted a mini 30, but their reliability are hit and miss with steel cased Tula and I own a couple of 7.62x39 uppers that are accurate and run great.

#1, It ran 100% with several 223 and 7.62x39 uppers.  Great! 2 of the uppers have syrac adjustable gas blocks were tuned to run with standard carbine buffers on my AR's.  They ran perfect as well, so awesome!

#2, I don't understand why the bolt catch is an 'option' .  Seems like an extra expense for a $5 part, unless there is a state compliance issue that I am unaware of.  Money aside, the major pain is that it falls out when you take off the lower.  It would be nice if, at a minimum, it could be secured.  I have added some grease to the outside of it to simulate the same effect of adding grease to the safety lever spring to make it stick in the grip.  Hopefully that works well.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:48:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: factionfx] [#28]

2 of 3.

#3, The butt plate is spiked/textured aluminum. While rigid, definitely not user friendly. I have ordered and installed a grind to fit limbsaver 5/8" pad, but won't be able to shoot it for a couple of weeks. I'm sure it will be great, recoil isn't heavy, but a little rubber will be perfect. (Of course .223 is pretty light recoiling but 7.62x39 is a little more punishing.

#4, The only thing I don't know how to 'fix' is the trigger surface. My trigger breaks at 5 lb 3 oz so I have one of the 'newer' ones. Creep is there but I wasn't expecting a Geissele in it so no problem. The issue I have with the trigger is the way it is finished at the bottom makes it sharp, and the side of the tip of my finger was quite sore after 100 rounds. I've never experienced this in any of my other rifles or AR's before. Perhaps there is a way to re-profile the bottom of the trigger to make it more gradual...Although maybe I am holding it wrong. Has anyone experienced this and modified the bottom of the trigger face? Help me out, I've got soft hands :).

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#29]

3 of 3.

#5. Barrier to entry is quite high. I have a $500 monte carlo lower version ($435 street price), about $30 + time in a limbsaver recoil pad, and $40 in a bolt catch. For $435 it should come with a $10 rubber recoil pad and a bolt catch. If you can get it down to $300 I would purchase another one no problem. To keep it in perspective, for the almost $500 invested in this, I could buy 3x palmetto complete lowers with stocks at $130. I know it is a different market, slightly different product, etc.

It would be optimal if the stocks were hollowed out remington 1100 stocks as that would allow us to put factory remington recoil pads on them. (or some factory pad, even a factory-fit limbsaver).
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#30]
wonder if there are any plans to make a .308 compatible version...
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By factionfx:
I just picked up my ARES SCR lower last week and got to shoot it this weekend.  Here is my feedback.

I live in a non-ban state, so I picked this up just for fun.  I've always wanted a mini 30, but their reliability are hit and miss with steel cased Tula and I own a couple of 7.62x39 uppers that are accurate and run great.

#1, It ran 100% with several 223 and 7.62x39 uppers.  Great! 2 of the uppers have syrac adjustable gas blocks were tuned to run with standard carbine buffers on my AR's.  They ran perfect as well, so awesome!
#2, I don't understand why the bolt catch is an 'option' .  Seems like an extra expense for a $5 part, unless there is a state compliance issue that I am unaware of.  Money aside, the major pain is that it falls out when you take off the lower.  It would be nice if, at a minimum, it could be secured.  I have added some grease to the outside of it to simulate the same effect of adding grease to the safety lever spring to make it stick in the grip.  Hopefully that works well.  
View Quote

This is a real issue, I would not have one without the bolt catch, and likely won't be further interested if its not a permanent part of the lower...that just makes no sense at all.
Makes about as much sense as Ruger's new AR with the CHF barrel thats naked, without chrome lining or a melonite treatment...very poor engineering choices.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#33]
To keep it in perspective, for the almost $500 invested in this, I could buy 3x palmetto complete lowers with stocks at $130. I know it is a different market, slightly different product, etc.
View Quote

The SCR lower does include the bolt carrier group though, so that's another $90 or so of value. So while it's definitely pricier, it's closer to twice the price of Palmetto as opposed to triple.

On thing I'm curious about, and of course I don't expect any answer from the company since it's an internal strategy thing: if this sells really well, will they license the patent to other lower makers?

Not just to get more production out without having to invest in a larger shop, but also to head off potential competing designs. Think of it this way: if Company X comes out with a different patented way to make a traditional-stock AR lower, now you have competing non-interchangeable designs, and shifts in the market will dictate which becomes more prevalent. On the other hand, if Company X licenses the patent from Ares, then the "alternative" product is still based on a patent design, so the more folks are making that design (while paying Ares a per-unit fee) the more and more the SCR becomes the dominant trad-stock AR lower, to the point that anyone wanting to compete in that market would have to license the design. To one degree it would keep a narrower market (bad for customers), but having a stable standardized design across competitors would help entrench the product in the market.

Just my idle thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:52:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#34]

The SCR lower does include the bolt carrier group though, so that's another $90 or so of value. So while it's definitely pricier, it's closer to twice the price of Palmetto as opposed to triple.

On thing I'm curious about, and of course I don't expect any answer from the company since it's an internal strategy thing: if this sells really well, will they license the patent to other lower makers?

Not just to get more production out without having to invest in a larger shop, but also to head off potential competing designs. Think of it this way: if Company X comes out with a different patented way to make a traditional-stock AR lower, now you have competing non-interchangeable designs, and shifts in the market will dictate which becomes more prevalent. On the other hand, if Company X licenses the patent from Ares, then the "alternative" product is still based on a patent design, so the more folks are making that design (while paying Ares a per-unit fee) the more and more the SCR becomes the dominant trad-stock AR lower, to the point that anyone wanting to compete in that market would have to license the design. To one degree it would keep a narrower market (bad for customers), but having a stable standardized design across competitors would help entrench the product in the market.

Just my idle thoughts.
View All Quotes
To keep it in perspective, for the almost $500 invested in this, I could buy 3x palmetto complete lowers with stocks at $130. I know it is a different market, slightly different product, etc.

Just my idle thoughts.

Excellent point!  Then maybe we could get a lower with a proper bolt catch.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:

View All Quotes

Just my idle thoughts.

Hey now, I'm just enjoying the idea of a side charger with heavy barrel in 6.5 creedmoor
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#36]

This is a real issue, I would not have one without the bolt catch, and likely won't be further interested if its not a permanent part of the lower...that just makes no sense at all.
Makes about as much sense as Ruger's new AR with the CHF barrel thats naked, without chrome lining or a melonite treatment...very poor engineering choices.
View All Quotes

Thanks for your feedback. There are good reasons why the bolt catch is optional and the link below will take you to a post on our Facebook timeline that will show the logic for why the bolt catch is an option. Hopefully this doesn't violate any forum rules but if it does, then we can cut/paste the data herein as it is slightly lengthy.

ARES SCR Optional Bolt Catch Detail
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:40:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#37]
Thanks for the reply, but a threaded pin (like those used on many .308 ARs) would be a much better option, that way the end user could easily switch bolt catches for other calibers if needed, or remove it and install a blank...that will not fall out.

If I had to use one due to living in a ban state, I would bond it in place with JB-Weld or some type of epoxy so its not lost in the field if the rifle were opened for any reason...but I would not use it as sold, period.

I do understand the reasoning, but the current design makes it a non-starter for me, I'll stick with my ARs & AKs.

EDIT...Perhaps a change to the insert that would use a threaded pin might be better, that way the insert can be bonded to the lower and never removed...that might interest me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the reply, but a threaded pin (like those used on many .308 ARs) would be a much better option, that way the end user could easily switch bolt catches for other calibers if needed, or remove it and install a blank...that will not fall out.

If I had to use one due to living in a ban state, I would bond it in place with JB-Weld or some type of epoxy so its not lost in the field if the rifle were opened for any reason...but I would not use it as sold, period.

I do understand the reasoning, but the current design makes it a non-starter for me, I'll stick with my ARs & AKs.

EDIT...Perhaps a change to the insert that would use a threaded pin might be better, that way the insert can be bonded to the lower and never removed...that might interest me.
View Quote

Since the area under the bolt catch is kind of beefier, maybe reshaping where the roll pin on the bolt catch would work.  Just attach to the lower with two button head screws that go into the thicker part of the lower 1/8" or something.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#39]
/\ Also a good idea /\
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

I agree, I forgot about that.  Although when you buy the 'lower', it doesn't include the "BCG", just the bolt carrier...No cam pin, bolt, firing pin, retaining pin.  The carrier is worth about $30-50.  (I have a bunch I bought from palmetto on sale for $20 each a while ago).

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Thanks for your feedback. There are good reasons why the bolt catch is optional and the link below will take you to a post on our Facebook timeline that will show the logic for why the bolt catch is an option. Hopefully this doesn't violate any forum rules but if it does, then we can cut/paste the data herein as it is slightly lengthy.

View All Quotes

Can someone post a short synopsis of this for some of us who have NO FACEBOOK?

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#42]
We’ve received some customer feedback both here and through email related to the bolt catch options for the ARES SCR, so we wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their business and feedback and bring everyone up to speed on this topic. An area of concern that’s been expressed is the lack of a bolt catch as standard equipment on the ARES SCR, despite that our official press release photos and ARES SCR brochures (cut sheet) clearly display that it is not installed on the baseline rifle. But since it’s an area of concern for some we believe it might be helpful to shed some light and share our reasons.

As some of you are aware, the concept for the ARES SCR rifle began in 2003 (during the 1994 Assault Rifle Ban) as we didn’t believe that the law would actually sunset. Since that period of time, the ARES SCR has undergone about 4 complete design revisions before the designer (Geoffrey Herring) was satisfied with the ergonomics and final product. Concurrent to the development effort and as experience was gained in working with and shooting the prototypes, the entire logic and motivation for the rifle also shifted. We realized that the ARES SCR was actually a very fun and fast pointing rifle and could have broad market appeal far beyond the “beat the ban” logic of 2003; this is actually a really cool rifle all on its own which blends everything that we love about the AR platform (ruggedness, accuracy, modularity, accessory options, caliber options, part and magazine availability, etc.) with the slender and clean lines of a traditional sporting rifle. And we also realized that with a little more effort, the options available to the end-user could be significantly expanded over legacy black rifles.

So what are those options? Well, the bolt catch area is one of them and there are many more that can’t be disclosed just yet due to patent related timelines. But the bolt catch on a standard AR is one of the more difficult areas to change and one that usually involves a gunsmith. As mentioned above, Geoffrey Herring wanted to really expand the configuration options and flexibility of the ARES SCR and he wants the capability for all of it to be done at the user level; no gunsmithing required. So you might now be wondering why one would want the capability to change the bolt catch, so I’ll open the kimono a bit.

As pointed out by Mark Keefe in the September 2014 issue of American Rifleman (You are a card carrying member of the NRA, aren’t you?), small arms designers must always remain cognizant of the shifting state and federal legislation that has the potential to impact their companies and product lines. And this is especially true for Modern Sporting Rifles that have historically been dissected and legislated against based on “features”.

Next, being that the ARES SCR is a “sporting rifle”, the last thing you’d want is a spring loaded dust cover to smack the side of the receiver and scare off any game that you might be hunting. In this case, it is actually desirable for the bolt carrier to remain closed after the last shot fired, as the bolt carrier in this case functions as the dust cover to keep out debris like it does on many other popular sporting firearms.
Finally, we get to caliber conversions and sub-caliber models such as 9mm and .45 ACP that are being developed. If you happen to have some experience with traditional 9mm AR’s for example, then you may have noticed that the bolt catch is much longer in the area that interfaces with the magazine follower compares to that of a 5.56mm rifle. How would that work with a pre-installed bolt catch when caliber conversion on the fly might be desired and gunsmithing is usually required to change that part?

So, now that we’ve shared our motives for this part of the ARES SCR design; let’s cover availability and installation should one choose to install a bolt catch. The optional ARES SCR bolt catch should be available within the next 30-45 days and will be in the neighborhood of $20-$30. It is a modular sub-assembly that is installed in minutes with NO GUNSMITHING REQUIRED.

Installation is accomplished by removing the magazine and clearing the rifle of all ammunition. Next, separate the upper and lower receivers by pushing out the two captive takedown pins. Next, remove the plug that is factory installed in the lower by sliding it out the left side of the receiver. Install the bolt catch assembly by sliding in into the receiver and seat it firmly into its slot. Reassembly the receiver halves by following the instructions in the User’s Manual. That’s it! Here are some pictures for reference; total installation time about 2 minutes. Thank you for your continued interest in ARES Defense products!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:41:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JimboJones1] [#43]
interesting concept for ban states.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#44]

I actually contacted Gibbz about their uppers, because I built a 14.5" 6.8 on their upper for use with an SCR, but after I had the upper built I found out that it wouldn't work. Gibbz makes side charging uppers for themselves, New Frontier Armory and X-products(at least from looking at them, they all look identical).

Gibbz said all their uppers moving forward will have the necessary relief cut to function with the SCR(they actually said that the uppers that were off at the coater's have the cut, and that was several months ago so Im sure they are done now). I'm working on buying one from X-products to replace the Gibbz that I have now.
View All Quotes
I'm fixing to get one, though I live part of the time in free states and part of the time in ban states. I figure the SCR will be legal in the strictest places, but still a fun shooter even in Texas. Some naysayers were moaning about what a horribly gimpy compromise the SCR is, which I think is the opposite of truth: it's one of the least hobbled AR variants. No weird convoluted stocks or trick-release mags, it's just a straightforward rework of the ergonomics while leaving most of the AR's mechanical principles in place.

I'm planning to get one when travel and finances allow. Been plotting my build, but unfortunately Gunstruction doesn't have the SCR lower as an option yet: http://www.ar15.com/gunstruction/ . I emailed Ares to ask them to work with Gunstruction to add it, but not sure that's the kind of thing Ares is good at following up on. Maybe if more SCR enthusiasts email Gunstruction they'd look more seriously at adding it?

Not sure whose this is, but this photo has been floating around the internet; what I'd want for myself is something a lot like this, with a permanently-affixed linear comp to bring it up to 16", since LCs are legal in states where flash-suppressors aren't. And also the Short Sporter stock for minimum bulk.

I'm set on buying an SCR lower later this year, and then whatever side-charging upper maker is first to ensure compatibility with the SCR. My understanding is that the Gibbz side-charger lacks a specific cutout needed to fit an upper to the SCR, so that would need modifying.

I was initially interested in whatever wooden stock they offer in the future, but on further thought I think I'll stick with the polymer stock, and have the stock and whichever FF handguard I choose hydro dipped into a cool fake wood pattern, like the dipped metal handguard on this AR:
http://i61.tinypic.com/29m2kvb.jpg

I actually contacted Gibbz about their uppers, because I built a 14.5" 6.8 on their upper for use with an SCR, but after I had the upper built I found out that it wouldn't work. Gibbz makes side charging uppers for themselves, New Frontier Armory and X-products(at least from looking at them, they all look identical).

Gibbz said all their uppers moving forward will have the necessary relief cut to function with the SCR(they actually said that the uppers that were off at the coater's have the cut, and that was several months ago so Im sure they are done now). I'm working on buying one from X-products to replace the Gibbz that I have now.

I just saw this and wanted to clear it up.  Gibbz does not make side charging uppers for New Frontier Armory.  The NFA products were designed and manufactured by NFA in-house and continue to be machined by NFA at their facility in North Las Vegas.  They manufacture and then distribute NFA-marked goods to other dealers to be sold and will also machine parts and mark parts like lowers for other dealers on a variance who do not have their own internal manufacturing capabilities.  I don't know the story with Gibbz, but I do know the story with NFA first hand.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Interesting, I was actually told that by a Gibbz rep last year lol. Oh well, my next one will be an X-products anyways.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Interesting, I was actually told that by a Gibbz rep last year lol. Oh well, my next one will be an X-products anyways.
View Quote

Hmmm.  I used to work for NFA after I left the military.  I left the company back in Sep 2013 when my wife was PCSd to FL.  I was there first hand over the months as the designer/machinist was hired, the upper (and other parts) were being designed, the manufacturing facility was built out, and the parts started rolling off and being packaged to send to anodizing.  I held several positions at NFA during my tenure and had a hand in a few aspects of the manufacturing side of the business, although I mainly worked on the retail side.  

The Gibbz rep isn't being honest with you.  I wonder if he was trying to make a comparison between the two products and just misspoke or if he really didn't know?  Either way, it's neither here nor there.  For the sake of the thread, I just wanted to point out that NFA's product is their own design and they manufacture it in-house.  If Gibbz has any business dealings with NFA, I could find that out easily, but it wouldn't add anything of value to this thread.  I have a feeling I may know without even asking though.  

All of that said, they're both nice designs when you get down to the meat of it.  I'm interested in a SCR with a side charging upper.  Naturally I lean towards using the NFA upper, but I'm holding off to see how successful others are with their builds so I can benefit from their tinkering and not have to reinvent the wheel.  I want to be able to buy the right upper for the job the first time around.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Regardless of living in a ban state i had wanted one of these as i like traditional stocks.  This is a really nice, light, handy rifle. It points quick, and even the factory upper is shooting 1" groups at 100 yds with bulk ammo.  Reaching the mag release isnt as quick as with an ar, but it can still be done quickly.  So far mine has functioned flawlessly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#48]
K

View All Quotes

Sure, if there's enough demonstrated demand for the nickel boron carrier and other parts we'll definitely bring them to market as an option for our customers. One of our vendors does an excellent job with NiB and a lot of our more discriminating customers demand it on the feed trays of our belt fed rifles, so it's something that we can definitely do. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bmfgsxr:
Regardless of living in a ban state i had wanted one of these as i like traditional stocks.  This is a really nice, light, handy rifle. It points quick, and even the factory upper is shooting 1" groups at 100 yds with bulk ammo.  Reaching the mag release isnt as quick as with an ar, but it can still be done quickly.  So far mine has functioned flawlessly.
View Quote

Same here, that's why I jumped at the chance to get an 20" AK with a Monte Carlo stock...love it!
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Okay, I see how the BHO works now. It's not as bad as I though, since there's an actual slot with a plug that can be removed to install the BHO. I'd imagined it was more improvised and jammed in there. But I do agree that some kind of mechanism, other than adhesive, to make it stay in its slot would be helpful:

Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 2 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top