Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 3:38:38 PM EDT
Just noticed this wear when cleaning this morning.  Any ideas what's causing this?  I'm aware the groove next to the cam pin is normal, but what about the channels going back 3/4 up the upper receiver? They didn't appear until i started shooting it with the short barrel and the can. It previously had a 16" barrel and no can. Probably several thousand through the upper, but in this configuration only about 500.
The channels are above the carrier itself. They are exactly the same height as the top of the cam pin and gas key. There are literally channels cut into the aluminum, not just finish wear. You can see pieces of the metal flaking off in the pictures.  They aren't deep yet, but I don't want to keep shooting this thing if this isn't normal.

The upper is a VLTOR VIS 2A. Could excessive gas cause this type of wear? Maybe I'm just needing an adjustable gas block and heavier buffer ?

Here's the specs.  11.5" barrel. Specwar 556. Carbine buffer. m16 carrier.  
I've never seen the cam pin cause channels like this before, esp on both sides.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like charging handle wear.  If so, normal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely not charging handle wear

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like charging handle wear.  If so, normal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Check your cam pin for ware looks like it was rubbing looks to high for the retaining pin to have done it
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks fine to me. Lubricate all friction areas generously and it shouldn't become a problem. Whatever is causing it already made its path, meaning it won't get worse, esp with lubrication
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looks fine to me. Lubricate all friction areas generously and it shouldn't become a problem. Whatever is causing it already made its path, meaning it won't get worse, esp with lubrication
View Quote

Yeah you just broke it in basically
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
What wear?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What wear?
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I was hoping to hear.  I just wanted to confirm before making a potential problem worse. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

No offense, but I love how people ask "what is this?" Then proceed to DISAGREE with the answers they get.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
That is not "normal" wear!
Finish wear is one thing but the pieces of aluminum that were scraped off are still in the receiver.
None of the AR's I have bought or built have ever shown wear like that, especially with that low of a round count.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
How about some pictures of the bolt carrier group, it should show some scratches of what exactly is cutting those channels.

It doesn't look right to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No offense, but I love how people ask "what is this?" Then proceed to DISAGREE with the answers they get.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In this case the OP is right is disagreeing. The wear is on the receiver sides below the charging handle track.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In this case the OP is right is disagreeing. The wear is on the receiver sides below the charging handle track.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.  I see it now.  My apologies OP.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its all good!
I was wrong once too..........well according to my wife that is!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Fat gas key?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How about some pictures of the bolt carrier group, it should show some scratches of what exactly is cutting those channels.

It doesn't look right to me.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Check your cam pin for wear looks like it was rubbing looks to high for the retaining pin to have done it
View Quote

^^ this^^
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when i looked, but i'll get some pics up tomorrow in case I missed something.

What about being over gassed ? Is that a possibility?

Quoted:

^^ this^^
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check your cam pin for wear looks like it was rubbing looks to high for the retaining pin to have done it

^^ this^^

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:24:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What wear?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What wear?

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What wear?

The cam pin head is dragging horribly on the closing stroke, and it starts around the time the bolt starts to encounter resistance from picking up a round from the magazine (note where it fades out).  That damage looks to be about 0.03" to 0.04" deep you may have to scrap that upper.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#22]
This explanation makes sense to me. Any idea what would cause that?  Why do you say the upper is no good now ?
Quoted:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg538/lysanderx/20150329_090449_zps2qfxmpwi.jpg
The cam pin head is dragging horribly on the closing stroke, and it starts around the time the bolt starts to encounter resistance from picking up a round from the magazine (note where it fades out).  That damage looks to be about 0.03" to 0.04" deep you may have to scrap that upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What wear?

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg538/lysanderx/20150329_090449_zps2qfxmpwi.jpg

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This explanation makes sense to me. Any idea what would cause that?  Why do you say the upper is no good now ?
View Quote

Lack of lubrication?

Can't really say without more information. A picture of the cam pin would help.  And, maybe a few of the bolt carrier and all its associated parts.

Well, I don't think it would pass the inspections in the TM.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Lack of lubrication?

Can't really say without more information. A picture of the cam pin would help.  And, maybe a few of the bolt carrier and all its associated parts.

Well, I don't think it would pass the inspections in the TM.
View Quote

I should be able to snap some pics later today.  Now that I think about it, the only part on this rifle I haven't used before was the BCG.  It was a warranty replacement from SA&A.  The first bolt was...out of spec.  So bad that certain magazines wouldn't insert.  If the BCG is the problem, I wonder if I have any recourse.  This upper is monolithic so I'm out a lot of money if it's toast.  What is TM ?

Would any measurements of certain parts help ?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's pics of the BCG.  I measured the cam pin and compared it to some of my others. It measured .400 wide like my others, but  It measures .321 long, while all of my others measured .317.  Not sure if that could cause it?

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Measure the cam on the other sides, the dimension shown doesn't matter, the width does.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I mentioned it in my post. It's .400 wide.

Quoted:
Measure the cam on the other sides, the dimension shown doesn't matter, the width does.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine has worse wear than that and runs like a raped ape.

I wouldn't worry about it

It is definitely wear from a cam pin
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What wear?

You really think a scratch is going to compromise the strength of a receiver?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#30]
No reason to scrap it OP. Is your wear pattern common? No.
Is it going to get worse? No. The wear path is already made.
Is it going to cause a malfunction? No. The wear path is already made.

Lubricate the shit out of it and don't worry about it. I whole heartedly don't see it as an issue in your case. The cam pin already made its path.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What wear?

How do your bolt gas rings look.

Wes
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#32]
It is not going to weaken the upper, but it ate through the anodizing.

Check the areas circled for burrs, raised edges or really sharp corners.  

I would also check the cam pin to see if the hole for the firing pin is at 90 degrees to the flats.  To check this take the pin out and clamp in the dial indicator, just like you're measuring in the photo, then slip the firing pin in the hole and see if it is parallel to the arm.

To prevent the groove getting worse knock of any burrs, etc found and keep it well lubricated.  And, I would coat the inside of the upper with dryfilm lube, if you have some.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#33]
From the pics you posted of your bcg, it looks like the most wear is on the corners of your gas-key. That is my guess. The cam pin, even if it were wider than the gas-key, isn't thick enough to make tracks that wide. The gas-key on the other hand...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#34]
If the BCG is steel, I dont think he'll see any wear on that. All the wear would just be on the upper. Maybe a burr from sloppy manufacturing but from the pics of the receiver, burrs that could cause something like that would be pretty obvious, at least until the aluminum manages to knock off that extra steel

And the extra length on the cam pin could be the cause. Tolerance stacking between the reciever and BCG and whatnot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup... I wouldn't say worse but similar.  There are a few thousand rounds thru mine tho .  I'll post a pic tomorrow
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:29:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just noticed this wear when cleaning this morning.  Any ideas what's causing this?  I'm aware the groove next to the cam pin is normal, but what about the channels going back 3/4 up the upper receiver? They didn't appear until i started shooting it with the short barrel and the can. It previously had a 16" barrel and no can. Probably several thousand through the upper, but in this configuration only about 500.
The channels are above the carrier itself. They are exactly the same height as the top of the cam pin and gas key. There are literally channels cut into the aluminum, not just finish wear. You can see pieces of the metal flaking off in the pictures.  They aren't deep yet, but I don't want to keep shooting this thing if this isn't normal.

The upper is a VLTOR VIS 2A. Could excessive gas cause this type of wear? Maybe I'm just needing an adjustable gas block and heavier buffer ?

Here's the specs.  11.5" barrel. Specwar 556. Carbine buffer. m16 carrier.  
I've never seen the cam pin cause channels like this before, esp on both sides.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab151/blc628/upper%20wear/20150329_090449_zpsbfd4rdor.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab151/blc628/upper%20wear/20150329_090820_zpsprly7e3t.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab151/blc628/upper%20wear/20150329_090704_zpsrhffeggx.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab151/blc628/upper%20wear/20150329_090646_zpsqbfjluza.jpg
View Quote

You migh have pinched the receiver during the barrel swap, narrowing the BCG raceway and cam pin channel at the weakest point in the upper, behind the ejection port. This usually happens from over tightening the vice when using a set of blocks or a clam shell to hold the upper. If you take a 1" piece of AL bar stock and slide it into the upper after the BCG is removed, you can locate the area where it is pinched when you feel resistance.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What wear?

Wes

OP...what do your gas rings look like?

Will they hold the bolt carrier up if you extend the bolt and the stand the assembly on the bolt face or dose the carrier's weight force the assembly into the compressed position?

Are any of your gas rings larger than the others?

Are the gas rings tangled or bent in any way?

Wes
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yup... I wouldn't say worse but similar.  There are a few thousand rounds thru mine tho (ETA... looks like you are a few k in too... i personally think your wear is fairly normal).  I'll post a pic tomorrow
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup... I wouldn't say worse but similar.  There are a few thousand rounds thru mine tho (ETA... looks like you are a few k in too... i personally think your wear is fairly normal).  I'll post a pic tomorrow

As promised... wear inside my BCM 11.5

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the pics Thornejc.  Nice to know I'm not the only one.

I took it out shooting again the other day and dialed the gas waaay down, to the point it only cycles with the can on it now, and put in an H3 buffer.  The damage does not seem to be any worse, so hopefully you guys are right and it'll be just fine.  Worst case, it will make a nice 22lr upper i suppose.  

Will they hold the bolt carrier up if you extend the bolt and the stand the assembly on the bolt face or dose the carrier's weight force the assembly into the compressed position?

Wes
View Quote

They look good. The bolt will not collapse under it's own weight.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I took it out shooting again the other day and dialed the gas waaay down, to the point it only cycles with the can on it now, and put in an H3 buffer.  The damage does not seem to be any worse, so hopefully you guys are right and it'll be just fine.  Worst case, it will make a nice 22lr upper i suppose.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wes

Checked LMT 10.5 and same type of wear.  That rifle is prob pushing 10k rounds
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top