Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 7:12:50 PM EDT
The front screw on this bolt carrier broke. I did this years ago and threw the whole thing in a bag. Now I am wondering what, if anything I can do to make this useful again.

My tools are limited to pretty much basics.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It is, but you probably don't have the tools to do it. Check a local machine shop, they could probably do it quick/cheap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you remove the other screw? If so see if theres enough meat with the key removed to grab with visegrips.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If the visegrips dont work you could put a drop of JB weld on it and give it a new nut head, then remove and replace.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Agree with STICK drill and easy out shouldn't take more than a couple of mins
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a big deal at all.  Drill a hole, and use and easy out/ screw extractor. They are a pretty common item, and even generic places like Home Depot have them.
View Quote

-This.-
Remove the good screw.

Mount the carrier in a vise and drill a small hole through the broken screw. Don't go too deep, as in "through the screw and into the carrier".

While still being held by a vise use an "easy out" that fits the drilled hole snugly and turn the broken screw out counter clockwise..

Buy a couple new screws (or more for spares) and replace both of them. They are not designed to be reused. A drop of 222 or 242 Loctite won't hurt a thing.

Stake them in place.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Aren't those screws hardened? Plus tiny bits, plus small ezouts. Tougher than it sounds. Buy an ares armor Bcg for under 100$ if it doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not a big deal at all.  Drill a hole, and use and easy out/ screw extractor. They are a pretty common item, and even generic places like Home Depot have them.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can find them easily, I would start with a left-handed drill bit, prior to using an ez-out.  The screw is likely to come out when the left handed drill bit bites, saving you the trouble of working an ez-out into the hole.  (Left handed drill bits cut in reverse, so you need a drill that goes both ways.)
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Contrary to what some say, those bolts are not standard Grade 8 Cap screws.  They are hard, to get one out I would suggest a carbide drill, a drill press and good drill press vise.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks to me like the bolt broke off right at the bottom of the head.  Remove the other screw and the gas key, grab the broken screw with a pliers and unscrew it.  It should come right out if there was no lock-tight on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I would make sure the other one is tight and just keep shooting it. If it ever does loosen just buy a new BCG for < $100
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It looks to me like the bolt broke off right at the bottom of the head.  Remove the other screw and the gas key, grab the broken screw with a pliers and unscrew it.  It should come right out if there was no lock-tight on it.
View Quote

This is what you should try first. Remove the other screw and remove gas key. If there's enough of the broken screw exposed, grab it with a pair of Vise-Grips and it'll turn right out. If not, easy out as suggested.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#14]
What Dennis 2313 said...just the cap came off unlosten the good one the key will come right off use a vice grip to turn out whats left...easy easy fix
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would make sure the other one is tight and just keep shooting it. If it ever does loosen just buy a new BCG for < $100
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Took the gas key off, that fffff....sucker broke just at the top of the hole. Nothing to grab onto.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Can you cut a small slot on the top, then use a flat screwdriver to drive it out. If everything else fails, find a washer with the same diameter as the bolt and weld it to the broken piece carefully, then weld a nut to the top of the washer. You should be able to then take it out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can you cut a small slot on the top, then use a flat screwdriver to drive it out. If everything else fails, find a washer with the same diameter as the bolt and weld it to the broken piece carefully, then weld a nut to the top of the washer. You should be able to then take it out.
View Quote

He said his tools are limited to just the basics. I doubt a welder is included in there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Confused yet??? EZ-OUT works. The rest of the suggestions are WECSOG suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
He said his tools are limited to just the basics. I doubt a welder is included in there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have a welder, at home either. He might know  someone with a welder ,though.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Left handed drill will remove it 90% of the time ... if its not bottomed or loctited
Heat will loosen loctite
Easy outs almost never work ... they expand the fastener and make it tighter.
If you cant get the tools you need take it to you nearest automotive machine shop
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#22]
EZ out.  Although with some that are tight I have had to drill a second time with a larger bit  and ez out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Throw it away!  I will send you my address and dispose of it for you

Lowes sells easy out kits for $20 that should do the trick or a reverse drill bit as others have mentioned. Do you have a drill?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I had the samet thing happen. But when I removed the the key screw the threads broke off. The hole is smooth. Can this be fixed?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#25]
You can get an automotive easy out kit with multiple sizes of drill bits along with easy outs for like $19 from Autozone. May be cheaper than that. It's been a while since I bought one but it's a complete kit so you don't have to buy everything individually. They work great too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Took the gas key off, that fffff....sucker broke just at the top of the hole. Nothing to grab onto.

View Quote

OK, the EZ-Out and left hand drill bit are good suggestions but if you're not a "tool guy" you might want to
price-check the job with a professional gunsmith or automotive machine shop.
Keep in mind the cost of a new carrier.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had the samet thing happen. But when I removed the the key screw the threads broke off. The hole is smooth. Can this be fixed?
View Quote

If you mean the threads in the tapped hole.
Defective carrier, contact the manufacturer.

Shooting with one screw would not be a well thought out plan even if it worked.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want to do this yourself, PM me with your shipping address and I'll send you the appropriate bit and extractor,
Otherwise, I will buy it from you for $25 if that is it's only defect.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone else wondering WHY the screw head broke off in the first place?  

Was it over-torqued going in and snapped off then?  Probably won't come out easily.
Did it snap off when trying to remove it because it was cross threaded?  or oversize (or undersize hole)?  Out of spec threads?  Probably won't come out easily.
Threadlock used?  Probably won't come out easily.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Anyone else wondering WHY the screw head broke off in the first place?  

Was it over-torqued going in and snapped off then?  Probably won't come out easily.

Did it snap off when trying to remove it because it was cross threaded?  or oversize (or undersize hole)?  Out of spec threads?  Probably won't come out easily.

Threadlock used?  Probably won't come out easily.

Rob
View Quote

As I recall, I had problems with this BCG because the key wasn't staked properly. The key came loose and the gun started malfunctioning. I was tightening it down as hard as I could and then...."Awwwww, SHIT!"

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#31]
The current spec for a properly hardened screw is 50 to 58 in/lbs.
Needless to say as hard as you can is a bit much.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#32]
As long as its not bottomed out or loctited, you should be able to get it out fairly easily with a bolt extractor. I snapped the head off the bolt that fastened a sprocket to a camshaft and, with nothing more than hand strength, extracted the bolt with my extractor bit.

Super cheap, relatively easy, and works 90% of the time, every time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Left hand drill bit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#34]
This is a good time to start buying some tools. They are never a bad thing to have. But don't try this without the proper tools, you will just screw it up more. If you think you will never use a bench top drill press and a vice for it, than you may want to take it to a machine shop and pay them to extract it out. The drill bit is going to be small and you want as close to center as possible. This should be hardened steel so a carbide bit would be best, and a spring loaded center punch will provide a dimple to keep the bit from wandering. I would also apply some heat before using the easy out or left handed drill bit just in case loctite was used.    

NCH
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Was the good bolt that you removed locktited in?

If it is, (without the tools that would be necessary to remove the broken bolt), I'd say that you are better off selling your bolt carrier and buying a new one.  Right now new bolt carriers are $40-$60.  Get the $25 from the Poster that offered, buy a new one and don't look back.

If the broken bolt was not locktited in,  Then the act of setting a reverse threaded drill bit on the top of the broken section stuck in the bolt carrier and spinning it with a drill should back the threaded stub right out of the bolt carrier, no additional tools necessary.

You should have a new carrier key, two new bolts, and a punch and hammer and a torque wrench to properly tighten ans stake the new bolts and stake the key to prevent them from loosening.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for all the replies. Right now I live in an apartment with no space for a workbench. I have a drill, but it's just a B&D rechargeable, and no vice. I'm going to give it to mouthpiece and let him fix it and keep it. People have given me stuff for free so I can give this away, especially since I can replace it cheap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the carrier!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top