AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would really like to know what problems they experienced.  The post on LWRCI forums was rather vague.  I find it interesting that they found it an issue in the 5.56 version, but not the 6.8.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thats the one.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/641240_Official_Mk_18_and_CQBR_Photo_and_Discussion_Thread.html&page=472
According to CD it now has a 10,000 round replacement cycle.

I am also curious how you got a LWRC ACB? They stated back when the M6IC was struggling to launch that they would come with standard bolts due to troubles producing the ACB. They to this day have no released any more ACB's in 5.56, just 6.8.

I don't have any background on when they were acquired. I was issued an M4, but several of the operators I was with had MK18 uppers and the bolts had been replaced with the ACB's. I am not aware how many the armory still had available or what the rules were regarding replacement. They were put in by the armorer though and ordered through the supply system. It was more than just a single guy who brought his own bolt. The guys who had them didn't know the difference. I recognized them from the LW S2 marking on the lobster tail style extractor.

Wonder why they went with those over LMT's enhanced bolt?

No idea, but it is looking like a poor choice.
I would really like to know what problems they experienced.  The post on LWRCI forums was rather vague.  I find it interesting that they found it an issue in the 5.56 version, but not the 6.8.

I remember reading a really detailed post of the issues a year or so ago, but looking through the forum now it appears they scrubbed it. Only thing left is people discussing that post in other topics.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Stoner actually designed the bolt for 7.62x51 before he ever did for .222, he just scaled it down.  Even once 5.56 was adopted, bolt failure was not a problem for the M16 until carbine variants become prolific.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would wager a lot of money that >95% of civilian AR's have seen less than 5,000 rounds. Also, many of the bolt and barrel life figures refer to military guns that see some auto fire. A rifle that gets babied will obviously last longer.

The truth is that Stoner did not redesign the bolt for the higher pressure .223 after the switch was made from the .222. Every move toward shorter gas systems and higher pressure rounds further cuts into what was a pretty good margin of safety built into a 20" .222 Rem rifle.

Stoner actually designed the bolt for 7.62x51 before he ever did for .222, he just scaled it down.  Even once 5.56 was adopted, bolt failure was not a problem for the M16 until carbine variants become prolific.

That is true, but it was scaled down with the .222 in mind, not the .223. The military wanted an even hotter round, and the .223 was as far as Stoner would go in terms of pressure.

With all the propietary setups in the market, it amazes me that so few companies address the bolt. Radiused lugs. New extension. Boom. Done.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, they copied it from Melvin Johnson . . .

A Johnson M-1941 bolt, with extractor removed.

EDIT:

Oh, and there fatigue problem long before the carbine variants.  We know this for two reasons:

1) the chrome plated bolts were dropped, due to cracking (guess why), and
2) they specified shot-peening the lugs, the only reason you bother to shot-peen is to reduce fatigue issues.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

http://www.practicallyshooting.com/wppshp/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_1467.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.practicallyshooting.com/wppshp/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_1467.jpg

So because he also used a bolt with multiple locking lugs (looks like the Johnson has more, btw) he "copied" the bolt from him?  Aside from the bolt face, I doubt the rest of of the bolt carrier group design is very similar.  I mean, how many semi automatic rifles are based around bolts with two locking lugs?  At least dozens that I can think off off the top of my head (garand, m14, m1 carbine, Sig 550, Mini-14, AK47, SKS, M249, etc).  Do you complain about whomever you think they "copied"?  Lots of firearms have triggers, but no company tries to claim that the trigger was their invention.  

Also, keep in mind, sometimes minds think alike, and similar designs are conceptualized and created independently with no knowledge of the other.  Just because one person technically thought ot something first chronologically, doesn't mean he was the only one who could have, or did, think of a certain concept.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So because he also used a bolt with multiple locking lugs (looks like the Johnson has more, btw) he "copied" the bolt from him?  Aside from the bolt face, I doubt the rest of of the bolt carrier group design is very similar.  I mean, how many semi automatic rifles are based around bolts with two locking lugs?  At least dozens that I can think off off the top of my head (garand, m14, m1 carbine, Sig 550, Mini-14, AK47, SKS, M249, etc).  Do you complain about whomever you think they "copied"?  Lots of firearms have triggers, but no company tries to claim that the trigger was their invention.  

Also, keep in mind, sometimes minds think alike, and similar designs are conceptualized and created independently with no knowledge of the other.  Just because one person technically thought ot something first chronologically, doesn't mean he was the only one who could have, or did, think of a certain concept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure Stoner invented the operating system, not the bolt lug design. Like you said the bolt design is not an issue. There are also other guns that use the same lug design as the AR. Actually most 5.56 rifles do it seems.

Also the 1941 has room for 9 lugs. Guess Beretta coppied it for their ARX.

Yep AR-15 through and through.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Something will have to be done by the military to extend the life of bolts in M16s and M4s with the new M855A1 ammo becoming more common.

According to the Army, some bolt cracking is being observed at 6,000 rounds under full auto use with the higher pressure M855A1 ammo,.
View Quote

Like this: "All bolts will be replaced at 5,000 round intervals, unless flaws are noted in routine inspections prior to that point.  Round count may be estimated based on unit-level firing schedules per the following table...."  Or something like that.

A bolt is a $40 item for us civilians, and probably costs Uncle Sam $25 at most.  OVER-DESIGNING such a part is not an efficient use of materials or design time, and leads to unnecessarily complex standards - and the accompanying inspection criteria and protocols. Inspect the bolt when you clean the rifle, and if it looks like there are flaws, replace it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pretty sure Stoner invented the operating system, not the bolt lug design. Like you said the bolt design is not an issue. There are also other guns that use the same lug design as the AR. Actually most 5.56 rifles do it seems.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So because he also used a bolt with multiple locking lugs (looks like the Johnson has more, btw) he "copied" the bolt from him?  Aside from the bolt face, I doubt the rest of of the bolt carrier group design is very similar. I mean, how many semi automatic rifles are based around bolts with two locking lugs?  At least dozens that I can think off off the top of my head (garand, m14, m1 carbine, Sig 550, Mini-14, AK47, SKS, M249, etc).  Do you complain about whomever you think they "copied"?  Lots of firearms have triggers, but no company tries to claim that the trigger was their invention.  

[orange]Well, Kalashnikov basically stated that the AK's bolt is basically an M1 Garand, and they are, along with the trigger mechanism.  And, the M14 and Mini-14 bolts are copies of the M1 bolt.  The SKS uses a tiling bolt.  Once your patent is up, you can copy all you want.  That's why there are patents, so after a time you can copy, because theoretically stuff that works best should be used.

From Stevens' and Ezell's comprehensive tome on the subject:
...[Melvin] Johnson brought ArmaLite another contribution of even greater value. The eight-lugged bolt of Stoner's AR-10, and its method of locking into the barrel extension, is a direct adaptation of the design used in Johnson's rifles since his earliest patent of 1937.

The lug design is the issue in lug fatigue and failure.

Well, let's be honest, most 5.56mm rifles copy either the AR-15 or the AR-18, to some degree.  And why not?  The tooling to cut the locking lugs in the extension and on the bolt already existed so one supplier could provide spare parts for their own design, or the ever present US supplied product.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Like this: "All bolts will be replaced at 5,000 round intervals, unless flaws are noted in routine inspections prior to that point.  Round count may be estimated based on unit-level firing schedules per the following table...."  Or something like that.

A bolt is a $40 item for us civilians, and probably costs Uncle Sam $25 at most.  OVER-DESIGNING such a part is not an efficient use of materials or design time, and leads to unnecessarily complex standards - and the accompanying inspection criteria and protocols. Inspect the bolt when you clean the rifle, and if it looks like there are flaws, replace it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something will have to be done by the military to extend the life of bolts in M16s and M4s with the new M855A1 ammo becoming more common.

According to the Army, some bolt cracking is being observed at 6,000 rounds under full auto use with the higher pressure M855A1 ammo,.

Historically in the last fifteen years or so, the Army bought has bolts at around $50 a pop.  (The day of the twenty dollar bolt was in the 1980s)

On 2009/02/04, a 5 year Indefinite Delivery, Indefinite Quantity, contract for $ 35,866,600 was awarded.  The minimum guaranteed order was 20,000 bolts.

So, if the minimum was all the Army needed, they cost - $ 1800 a piece, if the Army (Navy, USMC and AF) bought a million bolts, they were $35 each.  This contract should be ending about now.  I will have to do a little internet digging and see just how many have been delivered under this contract. (Gov't contacts are public knowledge, but they never just publish it.)  We'll see if they need to buy some more.

Designing a part, like a bolt, should be done so it lasts as long enough that we, the tax-payers, don't have to spent 36 million every five years for bolts.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Historically in the last fifteen years or so, the Army bought has bolts at around $50 a pop.  (The day of the twenty dollar bolt was in the 1980s)

On 2009/02/04, a 5 year Indefinite Delivery, Indefinite Quantity, contract for $ 35,866,600 was awarded.  The minimum guaranteed order was 20,000 bolts.

So, if the minimum was all the Army needed, they cost - $ 1800 a piece, if the Army (Navy, USMC and AF) bought a million bolts, they were $35 each.  This contract should be ending about now.  I will have to do a little internet digging and see just how many have been delivered under this contract. (Gov't contacts are public knowledge, but they never just publish it.)  We'll see if they need to buy some more.

Designing a part, like a bolt, should be done so it lasts as long enough that we, the tax-payers, don't have to spent 36 million every five years for bolts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The most recent one was $21,000,000 for 350,000 bolts, I believe. Colt and FN split it from what I read.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
My offering was pretty much a "toss it out there" idea.  I'm surprised that the actual cost is about $60 each in that contract - though I don't know how much else is included (spares, etc.).  But it's still not an expensive part even on a gun that might cost $600 delivered.  Like the barrel, the bolt is replaceable, and is considered a part that can (and does) wear out.  So why spend $10,000,000 designing one that wears out 10% later?  Especially when such redesign effort would obsolete tons (literally) of on-hand spares, along with all the installed barrels in the DoD inventory...

Maybe for a new weapon, basing a new mass produced bolt on somewhat more robust designs with far fewer features that look too square, etc. would be a workable idea.  Retrofitting every single AR-type weapon in DoD is not workable in any sense of the word.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My offering was pretty much a "toss it out there" idea.  I'm surprised that the actual cost is about $60 each in that contract - though I don't know how much else is included (spares, etc.).  But it's still not an expensive part even on a gun that might cost $600 delivered.  Like the barrel, the bolt is replaceable, and is considered a part that can (and does) wear out.  So why spend $10,000,000 designing one that wears out 10% later?  Especially when such redesign effort would obsolete tons (literally) of on-hand spares, along with all the installed barrels in the DoD inventory...

Maybe for a new weapon, basing a new mass produced bolt on somewhat more robust designs with far fewer features that look too square, etc. would be a workable idea.  Retrofitting every single AR-type weapon in DoD is not workable in any sense of the word.
View Quote

The contract is just for complete spare bolts (bolt, extractor and ejector and associated pins and springs) and the packing and shipping of said complete bolts to a place designated by the Army.

Retro-fitting is never a cheap option and usually reserved to safety issues.

The problem as I see it is a typical one for contractor developed projects: it wasn't done right in the beginning.  In the trials they saw the chrome plated bolt was failing prematurely, instead of fixing the design when the cost would have been the smallest*, they put a band-aid over the problem.  Now, years later, it is cost prohibitive to fix it right.

I don't know about you but I think $36 million dollars could be useful elsewhere in the DOD, not for bolts that should last more than 5000 rounds.
* The big cost in redesigning an in-service part for the military is the paperwork.  During development, the governments hand isn't quite as deep, so the paperwork cost is less.  The problem is the contractor usually has to do more work and allocate more manpower to fix the problem (depending on how the contract is written, they may have to bear the cost as well), so usually their management wants the fastest solution that will alleviate the problem.  Once it sells, the government bears the cost of maintaining it, so if the solution is not the best, meh, they aren't as worried.  They do care, just not enough to spend shareholder money on it.  Sometimes they do, if the problem turns out to be big and embarrassing.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top