Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2015 11:31:35 AM EDT
I am wondering through inertia if the firing pin can hit a round if the gun is dropped?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#1]
extremely unlikely. Maybe if it was fired from a cannon at a concrete wall muzzle first....

short answer. No.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#2]
While I'm sure that, technically, it could happen, the chances of it happening are astronomical.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am wondering through inertia if the firing pin can hit a round if the gun is dropped?
View Quote

is the bcg locked to the rear?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The AR15 / M16 utilizes a free floating firing pin.  That's why you can usually see a little dimple on the primer of a cartridge if the bolt slams home (the firing pin makes contact with the primer).
While testing the M16 with its original heavy firing pin, they were getting an unacceptably high number of slam fires.  They initially attempted to address it by decreasing primer sensitivity.  Frankford Arsenal approved a primer sensitivity specification that Frankford Arsenal said should reduce the number of slam fires to 1 in 6,400 chamberings.  Unfortunately, the ammunition manufacturers had trouble making primers to the specified sensitivity level (upwards of 90% of primer lots were rejected).  Eventually, the issue was addressed by lightening the firing pin.
I've never seen any figure for estimated slam fires with the lightened pin, but since the U.S. government was satisfied with a 1 in 6,400 slam fire rate, it seems reasonable that the rate is at least as low as 1 in 6,400 (maybe MUCH lower, but I don't know).
The short answer is yes, if the rifle is struck hard enough, the firing pin can at least theoretically strike the primer hard enough to ignite the primer.  However, merely dropping the weapon seems quite unlikely to cause a slam fire.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends, has Bill Springfield touched it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Theoretically a situation could be devised wherein the free floating firing pin could cause a discharge.  In all practicality, it's not going to happen.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Chambered round with a muzzle first hit yes the FP will hit the primer.
I seriously doubt it would fire.
Drop an AR with the selector on fire; especially butt first and the odds of an AD go way up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
As mentioned above, the weapon would need to either be malfunctioning or deliberately modified to make that happen. Because the inertia of the firing pin, in and of itself, would not be enough to set off a primer charge unless the rifle was hurled at a solid barrier at high speed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Have gotten my PTR91 to double tap with a Bill Springfield trigger job.  Was on the bench.  

I have also gotten an SSA-E to double tap, but I was running around with it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Have gotten my PTR91 to double tap with a Bill Springfield trigger job.  Was on the bench.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the amount of material he removed from AR parts that were mil-spec surface hardened, they could become dangerous due to rapid wear.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Drop an AR with the selector on fire; especially butt first and the odds of an AD go way up.

View Quote

Why is that?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#12]
anything can happen.

especially if the rifle isn't assembled correctly or cleaned properly.

anything...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#13]
NRA instructors teach (and I am one) that if it is loaded then it has the chance of firing so always keep it pointed downrange. Never fully trust a mechanical safety because the second you don't is when an accident will happen.

The answer may not be what you are looking for but in training we always say yes it can if it is loaded
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why is that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that?

CG of the trigger is below the trigger pin, so a hard enough shock could cause it to release the hammer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Especially if you have worn, broken, or defective parts.

It's possible, but highly unlikely, especially if the gun is properly maintained.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I bet if someone seated a soft federal primer above flush and dropped the bolt on it enough times, it would fire.

I'm tempted to try this now with an empty case...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I bet if someone seated a soft federal primer above flush and dropped the bolt on it enough times, it would fire.

View Quote

Better be careful, two of those high primers in a row any you may have made a machinegun!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what ATF did to turn hammer follow into a machinegun...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh?

you're beyond my depth of knowledge now.. can you explain?
thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

huh?

thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh?

thanks.

F the ATF

Guy was an idiot, but the only reason he went to jail was because the ATF screwed with the weapon/ammo.

“By this time, the weapon had been in the hands of the ATF for four
months. What caused the functional change in the weapon to fire as it had not done
before is unknown, although the ATF agent did acknowledge that the change in the
outcome from the October test resulted from a change to ‘softer primer’
ammunition,” the appellate documents said.
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2009/05/97116/#W1TcsVLBvKC6hDO0.99
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Buddy had one go off. Can't remember what they were trying to accomplish but were mortaring the muzzle against the carpeted floor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a mag dump on my SKS but that fucker was packed full of cosomline in the firing pin channel. I guess one day if we start packing M4's full of cosmo and surplusing them then 70 years later someone buys them and the crusty dried up cosmoline causes the FP to sitck forward sure.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
the crusty dried up cosmoline causes the FP to sitck forward sure.
View Quote

Impossible on ARs/M16s/M4s

When the carrier retracts, it pulls the firing pin with it, out of the bolt, so it can't stick forward.
Now if there is debris on the bolt face, that's another story.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

When the carrier retracts, it pulls the firing pin with it, out of the bolt, so it can't stick forward.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, the firing pin cannot make contact until the bolt is fully rotated closed.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

F the ATF

Guy was an idiot, but the only reason he went to jail was because the ATF screwed with the weapon/ammo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh?

thanks.

F the ATF

months. What caused the functional change in the weapon to fire as it had not done
before is unknown, although the ATF agent did acknowledge that the change in the

Im not a huge fan of WND... but in any case.. yes, that is the ATFs fault, that is ALSO the Judge/Jury's fault..

and I think the guy's  lawyer probably sucked too..
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

anything can happen..

my firing pins float in the BCG along the entire cycling motion. (so does yours)
inertia removes the tip of the firing pin from protruding the face of the bolt, it's not mechanically removed...

when the bcg travels forward after its rearmost movement and stripes a round off the magazine stack, the round being securely held against the face of the bolt pushes the pin back into the firing pin channel in the bolt.  there it sits, waiting for the hammer to strike it and push it proud of the face of the bolt, igniting the primer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#27]
There's a thread in the LaRue forum where a guy posted an xray of his shot up foot (nasty business).  If I understood his story correctly, he dropped an AR which landed flat on its side, where it discharged into the side of his foot behind the big toe.  Took off the top half of the bone behind his big toe and almost severed the rest of his foot.

Here's a link.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

anything can happen..

my firing pins float in the BCG along the entire cycling motion. (so does yours)
inertia removes the tip of the firing pin from protruding the face of the bolt, it's not mechanically removed...

when the bcg travels forward after its rearmost movement and stripes a round off the magazine stack, the round being securely held against the face of the bolt pushes the pin back into the firing pin channel in the bolt.  there it sits, waiting for the hammer to strike it and push it proud of the face of the bolt, igniting the primer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

anything can happen..

Not true at all.
Take your carrier out and play with it, you cannot physically make the firing pin protrude until the bolt is nearly completely rotated into battery.

If you can get your pin protruding without rotating the bolt, you have things dangerously out of spec.  There is no combination of in-spec parts that will allow that to happen.

The pin is floating, yes, but the pin flange bottoms in the rear pocket of carrier until the bolt is far enough rearward (rotated by the cam track) for it to protrude.

ETA: Best section view I could come up with offhand:
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not true at all.
Take your carrier out and play with it, you cannot physically make the firing pin protrude until the bolt is nearly completely rotated into battery.

If you can get your pin protruding without rotating the bolt, you have things dangerously out of spec.  There is no combination of in-spec parts that will allow that to happen.

The pin is floating, yes, but the pin flange bottoms in the rear pocket of carrier until the bolt is far enough rearward (rotated by the cam track) for it to protrude.

ETA: Best section view I could come up with offhand:
http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US8307750B2/US08307750-20121113-D00003.png
View Quote

I'm sorry, you're right about the firing pin being held by the shoulder of the BCG until the bolt rotates into battery (shortening the distance so the firing pin can protrude).

if the pin's tab at the back had sheared and thus traveled with the bold and not partially with the BCG, it could effectively slam fire, though..
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
if the pin's tab at the back had sheared and thus traveled with the bold and not partially with the BCG, it could effectively slam fire, though..
View Quote

True, but that would take some doing
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

which brings me back to "anything is possible"...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you've got a redneck with a dremel
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Im not a huge fan of WND... but in any case.. yes, that is the ATFs fault, that is ALSO the Judge/Jury's fault..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh?

thanks.

F the ATF

Represented himself at first.  Olofsen was a member here, and posted throughout his ordeal.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had a mag dump on my SKS but that fucker was packed full of cosomline in the firing pin channel. I guess one day if we start packing M4's full of cosmo and surplusing them then 70 years later someone buys them and the crusty dried up cosmoline causes the FP to sitck forward sure.
View Quote

I'm sure it could happen with things other than cosmo.  Anything in the FP channel wedged hard enough to keep the FP pushed forward could theoretically cause a slam fire, which would most likely result in a runaway gun until the FP got unstuck or the magazine ran dry (at least I would think ).
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm sure it could happen with things other than cosmo.  Anything in the FP channel wedged hard enough to keep the FP pushed forward could theoretically cause a slam fire, which would most likely result in a runaway gun until the FP got unstuck or the magazine ran dry (at least I would think ).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But not in an AR. IMO good firearm designs don't let the firing pin contact the primer until the bolt is locked.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There's a thread in the LaRue forum where a guy posted an xray of his shot up foot (nasty business).  If I understood his story correctly, he dropped an AR which landed flat on its side, where it discharged into the side of his foot behind the big toe.  Took off the top half of the bone behind his big toe and almost severed the rest of his foot.

Here's a link.
View Quote

That would be my story. Yes it can happen. Still not sure how it did. There was a round stuck in the chamber, no mag and the safety on. When it hit the concrete it went off. I obviously was not aware of the round. In my extremely tired state. Been working 45 days straight 14 hours a day I did something I have never done before. I failed to actually visually inspect the chamber. I racked the charging handle to clear the gun and assumed that it was not loaded.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#37]
sure it can happen

if a round is in chamber and bolt closed, firing pin on the primer
you drop the ar15 muzzle down, the firing pin will hit primer by its inertia, it's just a matter of keep raising the drop height until the drop speed is fast enough so the gun will go off

that's exactly the reason modern handguns added firing pin block, unfortunately there's no firing pin block on ar15
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#38]
On now for the rest of the Olofson story.  He loaned the gun to someone.  The safety selector had three positions.  He told the person he loaned the gun to that it would fire a three round burst if shot in the third position, but then jam.  He told the person he loaned the gun to that he "never had trouble with the police while shooting an automatic gun at the Conservation Club in Berlin."  When the ATF tested the gun it would not fire more than one round with military grade ammo, but it emptied three 20 round magazines using commercial grade ammo.  The gun could be fired in 5 to 10 round bursts by pulling the trigger, releasing it, and pulling it again. It was not the result of a hammer-follow malfunction.  The gun had been assembled with with four machinegun components: the trigger, the hammer, the disconnector, and the selector switch.  The court said a defendant could still argue that the reason a gun fired more than one round was due to a malfunction (if your gun legitimately malfunctions and fires more than one round is not a machine gun.)   Olofson admitted that he knew how to convert a nonautomatic rifle into a machinegun.  A search warrant executed on Olofson's computer revealed a PDF file titled "AR-15 to M-16 Conversion Book," a document describing how to convert a semi-automatic SKS rifle to full-auto, and an e-mail sent by Olofson that read:

"MG's are just the small toys one can get. Remember as a Sovereign you are unhindered by the regulations that the federal citizens must follow. There is a separate set of paperwork dealers must fill out to cover there [sic] butts on where the weapons and other items went. That is what a Sovereigns alien ID number dose [sic] for him. It's just a way of accounting for where it went. Yes you can build any weapon you like. To learn more, especially details on the paperwork you should learn more about Sovereignty first. After some basic knowledge we will walk you through everything the first time to help you get the hang of it. Finding real freedom for the first time is like a babies first steps. You haven't really done it before so you don't know what it's like. But we can change that. Then you can literally do most anything you want so long as it interferes with no others rights or person. Near WI by chance."

A jury found him guilty.  Olofson appealed and lost.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, bro.  I resemble that remark!

But some of us rednecks have lived with firearms all of our lives and assume that: (1) all firearms are loaded; and (2) anything made by man can and eventually will fail, usually at the worst time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#40]
One of the few things I know for sure is that Murphy's Law prevails.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:25:53 AM EDT
[#41]
When I was in Iraq my gunner was climbing down from the turret, i was exiting the vehicle and his weapon fired past me out my open door. I wasn't looking his direction, all I know is that he was halfway in the turret, and his weapon was on the floor of the vehicle. He was quickly surrounded by people trying to figure out wtf just happened and I wasn't in a very talkative mood after that, so I assume that his weapon was chambered, safety off, and he either dropped it or lowered it down and the trigger snagged on something.

He claimed the safety was on, but nobody could find a problem with the rifle...
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:37:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
On now for the rest of the Olofson story.  He loaned the gun to someone.  The safety selector had three positions.  He told the person he loaned the gun to that it would fire a three round burst if shot in the third position, but then jam.  He told the person he loaned the gun to that he "never had trouble with the police while shooting an automatic gun at the Conservation Club in Berlin."  When the ATF tested the gun it would not fire more than one round with military grade ammo, but it emptied three 20 round magazines using commercial grade ammo.  The gun could be fired in 5 to 10 round bursts by pulling the trigger, releasing it, and pulling it again. It was not the result of a hammer-follow malfunction.  The gun had been assembled with with four machinegun components: the trigger, the hammer, the disconnector, and the selector switch.  The court said a defendant could still argue that the reason a gun fired more than one round was due to a malfunction (if your gun legitimately malfunctions and fires more than one round is not a machine gun.)   Olofson admitted that he knew how to convert a nonautomatic rifle into a machinegun.  A search warrant executed on Olofson's computer revealed a PDF file titled "AR-15 to M-16 Conversion Book," a document describing how to convert a semi-automatic SKS rifle to full-auto, and an e-mail sent by Olofson that read:

"MG's are just the small toys one can get. Remember as a Sovereign you are unhindered by the regulations that the federal citizens must follow. There is a separate set of paperwork dealers must fill out to cover there [sic] butts on where the weapons and other items went. That is what a Sovereigns alien ID number dose [sic] for him. It's just a way of accounting for where it went. Yes you can build any weapon you like. To learn more, especially details on the paperwork you should learn more about Sovereignty first. After some basic knowledge we will walk you through everything the first time to help you get the hang of it. Finding real freedom for the first time is like a babies first steps. You haven't really done it before so you don't know what it's like. But we can change that. Then you can literally do most anything you want so long as it interferes with no others rights or person. Near WI by chance."

View Quote

All true,  like i said he was an idiot.
but those parts,  without an auto sear would produce nothing but textbook hammer follow. ..
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:00:45 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

I don't think the guy's lawyer sucked. I think he could have had the best attorney in the world and it still would have ended the same. This was an illegitimate, dirty, decided at the beginning, agenda following, make an example out of case. They poor guy got completely screwed. In the end, it's all about "case law" and this one a perfect example of saying with action; "Since we can't make guns illegal, this is what will happen if your semi auto firearm malfunctions. So, is it worth having one?" It's just a fucked up, lunatic, irrational way of manipulating the people for "a cause".

Fin
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:06:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

but those parts,  without an auto sear would produce nothing but textbook hammer follow. ..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. The guy could have been an idiot and fucked with his gun. If this is all true, then he modified his gun, which resulted in hammer follow (filing of hammer, trigger, disconnector, etc.). The combined fact that they found evidence that there COULD have been intent to want to, they dropped the hammer on him hard.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That would be my story. Yes it can happen. Still not sure how it did. There was a round stuck in the chamber, no mag and the safety on. When it hit the concrete it went off. I obviously was not aware of the round. In my extremely tired state. Been working 45 days straight 14 hours a day I did something I have never done before. I failed to actually visually inspect the chamber. I racked the charging handle to clear the gun and assumed that it was not loaded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a link.

I didn't post there, but I have to say
a) I'm really sorry this happened.  I hope you're recovery is going well.
b) Thanks for posting this.  It never hurts to be reminded that while AR's are fun, they are not toys and constant diligence regarding safety is critical. Also, it takes courage to post that story.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top