BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2015 10:56:33 AM EDT
Before anyone says it I'm not being a little girl that can't handle the recoil. I have a 13.7 barrel with a KX5, I'm using a Spikes T-2 buffer and after 60 rounds my shoulder feels like hell. what recommendations do you guys have about reducing the recoil. I forgot to mention I was shooting XM193i ammo. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#1]
adjustable gas block, lighter buffer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#2]
try .223 pressure ammo. when shooting M193 and regular .223 back to back there is a noticeable difference in recoil.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to mention also I'm using a full auto BCG, so with that along with my buffer could that be why its hammering the hell out of my shoulder?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Suggestions?  Go see a doctor.  Get some training to adjust and diagnose your technique.  60 rounds hurting your shoulder shouldn't be addressed by changing your gas block.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Suggestions?  Go see a doctor.  Get some training to adjust and diagnose your technique.  60 rounds hurting your shoulder shouldn't be addressed by changing your gas block.
View Quote

Your asinine comment doesn't even render a valid response.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take it easy. There wasn't anything in that comment that was asinine. The man was simply stating facts. reducing recoil is one thing, but if 60 rounds of 5.56 is causing you that much pain you are doing something wrong on a fundamental level and that was the crux of his comment.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Take it easy. There wasn't anything in that comment that was asinine. The man was simply stating facts. reducing recoil is one thing, but if 60 rounds of 5.56 is causing you that much pain you are doing something wrong on a fundamental level and that was the crux of his comment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

he may not be doing something wrong on a fundamental level, he may actually have some underlying issue inside his shoulder.  which is why a doctor's consult may not be a bad idea if the issue continues.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Could be where on your shoulder you're tucking the stock.  If it's adjustable try moving it in/out and see if you can find a more comfortably location.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot 60 rounds and more from a .308 - an HK91 - and it will bang your shoulder up some. A 5.56 is 25-30 pounds LESS recoil per shot, 100 rounds is very little in comparison.

Something IS wrong if 60 rounds of 5.56 is causing an issue.

Describe what kind of stock, how you are holding it, standing or prone, squared up or Olympic, what you are wearing, etc. My 6.8 will leave marks shooting on a warm day in a t-shirt, the ol HK91 was much less worse in a winter jacket hunting.

Details do make a difference.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#10]
My shoulder after shooting 20 rounds of 45-70 would like a word with you.

Get a 20 inch upper with rifle length gas system.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Something is very, very wrong if 2 mags of 5.56 are making your shoulder hurt. I don't think there is anything you could do to the rifle that would help enough to fix the problem. My guess is that something isn't right with your shoulder--have you been to a doctor over it? I would start there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]
i knew a guy that drilled out his gas port on a 14.5 barrel for some unknown reason. that F'er felt like i was shooting a ak47 which after 60 rounds with a steel folding stock might cause some discomfort if you are small framed.

what barrel? new or used? might want to pull it apart and check the gas port diameter with a micrometer or machinist drill bits.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least you have the right attitude when asking others for help, others that know more than you do.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
5.56 kicks like a little girl poking your shoulder.  More info is needed lol.  

Side note: Is everyone online touchy anymore?  I miss the old internet from decades past.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I would have to agree with seeing a doctor/ physical therapist or get some shooting instruction or post pics on here with how you shoot.

Definitely could be a shoulder problem or fundamentals... likely not the rifle....even though you make some mods to make it recoil less.

I would visit sprinco ' s website and get a heavier spring and buffer. Use the heaviest buffer you can ...while still maintaining reliably with the weakest power ammo you shoot. Or you can change to an adjustable gas block and limit gas... essentially does the same thing as the spring/buffer combo but is probably easier to get it dialed in. Offers a wider range of adjustment.

I would try a blue spring and red spring with your current buffer. If you need to reduce recoil slightly more go with h2 buffer.  the h2 is slightly heavier than the spikes t2... or go with spikes t3 which is Slightly heavier than spikes t2.

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#16]
if you have low body fat and no pad on the back of your stock and are not holding the rifle properly, the recoil will have a different effect on you. i'd consider these as possible cause.

as for how your AR is configured, just saying it has hard recoil doesn't help us diagnose it, it may be functioning fine. but if it is excessively gassed, you could get an adjustable gas block or get a heavier buffer(H3) and/or a stronger spring(like Sprinco Red).

and stop being a lil girl
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

At least you have the right attitude when asking others for help, others that know more than you do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly... it is either a pre-existing physical problem that the recoil is aggravating or there is something terribly wrong with your technique.  I am not trying to be a dick... i'm not calling you a little girl... i'm just saying that 60 rounds of 556 wouldn't cause physical discomfort no matter your build or pain tolerance.  It is possible you are shooting with the stock directly on your clavicle or you possibly are placing the stock too far over on your deltoid (can't see this hurting too much tho).  I was shooting my AK (underfold) with part of the stock resting on my clavicle one time and it definitely wasn't comfortable so I know that is a possibility.  Another option would be that you have a shoulder injury that you have not addressed and shooting has caused that previous injury to become painful.  Thats basically it.  You asked for opinions so you will get them... some will be rather blunt but thats part of it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lighten up or go elsewhere. That was a totally unacceptable response.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd start with a $10 M4 rubber butt pad if you have a collapsible stock. All my ARs have them.
Then I'd go to a heavier buffer if you don't plan to do any work to the gas system, an extra power buffer spring may also help. My 14.5" middy runs great with a 5.4oz buffer & Wolff xtra power spring.
There are also some aftermarket stocks with recoil management, I think Mako makes one of them.
Stepping down to .223 ammo is also a good suggestion. And although not the cheapest fix, going to an adjustable gas block and a light BCG will probably yield the best results.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Check your stance. I see way too many people with just the bottom corner of the stock on their shoulder. Square up and tuck the stock into your shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Before anyone says it I'm not being a little girl that can't handle the recoil. I have a 13.7 barrel with a KX5, I'm using a Spikes T-2 buffer and after 60 rounds my shoulder feels like hell. what recommendations do you guys have about reducing the recoil. I forgot to mention I was shooting XM193i ammo. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
View Quote

Are you by chance contacting the collar bone? I've had shoulder surgery and cortisone shots since 2000 and have never been sore from shooting an AR-style firearms. These include semi and full-auto, 10"-20" bbl systems. Everything from shooting for groups to 90rd mag dumps in 5.56. No problem with .308 AR style firearms either. Maybe try shooting from the other shoulder and see how that goes.

Good Luck,
Keith
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Double tap, sorry.

Keith
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#23]
My 10.5 w/KX3 and T-2 is like butter.  Have others shot your rifle and experienced the same painful recoil?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#24]
All I'm asking is for different ways in reducing the recoil for the gun. there is nothing wrong with my shoulder or technique in shooting. I shoot cmp rifle matches, use a 300 weatherby for hunting, and shoot a couple hundred rounds a week shooting skeet. this is the first AR that I have built and just wondering if I built it correctly. Also I was shooting off a bench and I have a  Magpul MOE mil spec stock
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I think you guys hurt the OP's feelings and he left.

Seriously though something doesn't seem right.  I have heard of people with iron deficiency that get really bad bruising and pain after small round counts.  

Has anyone else fired your rifle and noticed a difference in recoil or soreness?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#26]
What stock do you have on it right now?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i knew a guy that drilled out his gas port on a 14.5 barrel for some unknown reason. that F'er felt like i was shooting a ak47 which after 60 rounds with a steel folding stock might cause some discomfort if you are small framed.

what barrel? new or used? might want to pull it apart and check the gas port diameter with a micrometer or machinist drill bits.
View Quote

it's a new noveske 13.7 infidel with their low profile gas block
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I would be very surprised to see an over gassed Infidel.  I suppose it is possible
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Magpul Moe
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would have to agree with seeing a doctor/ physical therapist or get some shooting instruction or post pics on here with how you shoot.

Definitely could be a shoulder problem or fundamentals... likely not the rifle....even though you make some mods to make it recoil less.

I would visit sprinco ' s website and get a heavier spring and buffer. Use the heaviest buffer you can ...while still maintaining reliably with the weakest power ammo you shoot. Or you can change to an adjustable gas block and limit gas... essentially does the same thing as the spring/buffer combo but is probably easier to get it dialed in. Offers a wider range of adjustment.

I would try a blue spring and red spring with your current buffer. If you need to reduce recoil slightly more go with h2 buffer.  the h2 is slightly heavier than the spikes t2... or go with spikes t3 which is Slightly heavier than spikes t2.

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html
View Quote

thank you
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Pretty sure a heavier buffer and not a lighter one would help with felt recoil.  Also, I run a Wolff extra power spring on my .458 Socom.

Just for reference I could probably shoot close to 60 rounds through my Socom and not be as bad off as you make yours sound.  It's also got an ACE stock with 1" pad on it though.

Edit: I was posting this in response to ArmedFerret suggesting a lighter buffer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#33]
could it possibly just be the spring itself. I can bottom out the buffer and spring just with one finger with not using much force at all
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
could it possibly just be the spring itself. I can bottom out the buffer and spring just with one finger with not using much force at all
View Quote

That doesnt sound right at all.  I just tried pushing mine in on my regular carbine and it is pretty hard.  Also I couldn't even bottom it out all the way with my pointer finger, yes I have smaller hands

Where did you get the spring/buffer?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought it as a package from joeboboutfitters.com it came with the end plate, castle nut, buffer tube, spring and buffer
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I would try a Wolff spring and Spikes H2 buffer at least.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm going to try a different spring first, then try a different buffer. thanks for the input, does this mean I shouldn't go see a doctor or pay for training lessons lol
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I'm going to try a different spring first, then try a different buffer. thanks for the input, does this mean I shouldn't go see a doctor or pay for training lessons lol
View Quote
I would say no because I can't imagine a circumstance where 60 rounds of 5.56 through a bolt gun, with NO recoil spring, would ever make your shoulder hurt any amount.  I'm not being a smart aleck.  I'm being realistic.  I hope all is well with you OP.  I am just genuinely concerned for you based on the wording in your post.  Go see a doctor.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Honestly, even if the  spring and buffer do help it still shouldn't be giving you the kind of discomfort you were explaining.  Seeing a doctor might not be a horrible idea.  You should be able to shoot hundreds upon hundreds of rounds without discomfort out of any .223.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Honestly, even if the  spring and buffer do help it still shouldn't be giving you the kind of discomfort you were explaining.  Seeing a doctor might not be a horrible idea.  You should be able to shoot hundreds upon hundreds of rounds without discomfort out of any .223.
View Quote

In all honesty I shoot about 100-200 rounds through my shotgun in a night with no problems at all. I just think its not the right spring and buffer for the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In all honesty I shoot about 100-200 rounds through my shotgun in a night with no problems at all. I just think its not the right spring and buffer for the rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 12 gauge shotgun that weighs 7.5lbs firing a 1 oz target load (at 1180 fps) has about 17 ft/lbs of recoil energy.

An AR weighing the same should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 ft/lbs (with a 55-62gr at ~3100).

I'm thinking it's not the rifle, man. And if you can shoot the shotgun comfortably, then its not a medical issue with your shoulder. So it comes back to your technique.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#42]
If you want to reduce recoil you have 2 places to reduce recoil.

#1 The movement of the action. As the bolt and buffer slam back and fourth its going to transfer the energy to the rest of the gun and to you. Use light weight parts with an adjustable gas block. That way you can turn down the gas and not cause the lighter parts to increase in speed of movement. Less weight moving the same speed or slower = less energy transferred to you.

#2 The gas leaving the barrel pushes back on the barrel. Kind of like how a rocket engine works. If you put an effective muzzle break on the barrel it will redirect the energy. It has flat baffles that give the exiting gas to deflect off of. When its defected off the flat baffles it pulls the gun forward which off sets the gas pushing the gun back in to your shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's odd, my infidel upper was one of the softest shooting upper I've owned, there might be an issue with it, maybe the gas port was opened up to large by mistake by noveske. unless you action spring is completely worn out(no resistance), those are the only two possibilities (given your stated experience with other firearms is ruling out you being a girl )

measure your action spring, when they get shorter, that is an indication that they are worn. spring should be close to 11" long.

I'd replace the action spring first(as thats the cheapest) and see what that does, if it's still excessive then you might consider having the gas block pulled and measuring the port and contacting noveske with your findings.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

A 12 gauge shotgun that weighs 7.5lbs firing a 1 oz target load (at 1180 fps) has about 17 ft/lbs of recoil energy.

An AR weighing the same should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 ft/lbs (with a 55-62gr at ~3100).

I'm thinking it's not the rifle, man. And if you can shoot the shotgun comfortably, then its not a medical issue with your shoulder. So it comes back to your technique.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was shooting off a bench at my club that wasn't the greatest, I have shot off of it before with larger calibers with no problems. Like I said earlier in the post I think it might be the buffer spring just because of how easy it was to push the whole way down. The whole reason I started this topic because I have shot AR's in the past with them not recoiling as bad as the one I just built.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's odd, my infidel upper was one of the softest shooting upper I've owned, there might be an issue with it, maybe the gas port was opened up to large by mistake by noveske. unless you action spring is completely worn out(no resistance), those are the only two possibilities (given your stated experience with other firearms is ruling out you being a girl )

measure your action spring, when they get shorter, that is an indication that they are worn. spring should be close to 11" long.

just measured it, its about 10.5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's at the lower end of the range, I'd replace the action spring first(as thats the cheapest) and see what that does, if it's still excessive then you might consider having the gas block pulled and measuring the port and contacting noveske with your findings. Mistakes happen, that upper is not supposed to have a harsh recoil.

or better yet, contact them first before pulling the GB
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's at the lower end of the range, I'd replace the action spring first(as thats the cheapest) and see what that does, if it's still excessive then you might consider having the gas block pulled and measuring the port and contacting noveske with your findings. Mistakes happen, that upper is not supposed to have a harsh recoil.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the info

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#48]
The 13.7" infidel has midlength gas system, if anything its one of the more UNDERGASSED barrels out there. If youve ever shot you would probably know its one of the lightest recoiling rifles out there. I second the comment that there is something either wrong physically(chronic injury perhaps) and the OP should consult a doctor or there is an issue with buttstock placement/technique.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Sounds like a spring issue. You should not be able to push it as easy as you are describing. A stiffer spring will absolutely reduce recoil or a correctly working one. Go with the blue sprinco spring. I'd be surprised if that doesn't fix it. The sprinco ones are made from chrome silicone and will last longer than the cheap ones.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think you guys hurt the OP's feelings and he left.

Seriously though something doesn't seem right.  I have heard of people with iron deficiency that get really bad bruising and pain after small round counts.  

Has anyone else fired your rifle and noticed a difference in recoil or soreness?
View Quote

My fiancé is 5'3" and she shoots my 16" slightly over gassed carbine length all day.

most likely something else going on
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top