BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2015 8:32:53 PM EDT
I installed a Super dynamic 3 gun trigger and me and my brothers opinion is just "meh" It feels slightly better than a stock trigger, but not $200 better or even $100 better. Stock trigger with cleaned up contact surfaces is even less of difference. The pull on the SD3 is shorter but in our timed differences so far there has been no measurable decrease in shot to shot times. We are able to get fairly consistant 0.14 splits with either trigger, sporadically down to .09 with either. Only about 100rounds through the SD3 so far, do these break in?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you certain you have a SD3G?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Triggers are a personal taste item.  I don't think you are the only person to ever try a SD3G and not like it, but you're probably in pretty thin company...

I noticed major differences immediately after install.  I can't say that mine has gotten any better after extensive use, but it is still heads and shoulders above stock for me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]
That is what the package says. Ordered it from Primary Arms
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
It is not a bad trigger at all, its a good trigger. I guess we are biased because we hace been using stock triggers and cleaning them up for over 10 years. Our thought on the expensive triggers has always been "How can they sell them for so much? Are they that much better?" . I guess its like a wall of diminishing returns. You spend 400% more for 10% better results.

But for us we have yet to see 10%, there has SO FAR, been no consistent measurable difference.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, you might be the only one. I have yet to find a mil spec trigger that's anywhere near as good as a geissele.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no idea how you can say a bubba'd G.I. trigger is almost as good as a Geissele.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are an experienced shooter and have used the same trigger for 10 years - my guess is you are pretty good with that trigger....So another trigger may not seem impressive. Maybe your muscle memory with that trigger is very good so its second nature.

I have an SSA and definitely notice a especially when shooting at longer distance.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
What I'm saying is: It has yet to make any improvement in my shooting.

Which makes me question my $200+ expenditure in it. I'm not throwing it up on EE yet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Which makes me question my $200+ expenditure in it. I'm not throwing it up on EE yet.
View Quote

And what kind of shooting is this?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am honestly not trying to be a dick here, but maybe there are other issues with your shooting if it (1) needs to improve and (2) a S3DG doesn't help.

If I put any money in to an AR for the sake of accuracy, it is going to be a better barrel first, then better ammo, then a better trigger... this is of course ignoring practice (aka lots of ammo and time) for the sake of kit which seems to be a common theme.

To each his own and all of that, but the break on this trigger really should help you with accuracy if you are like most people.  If it doesn't, what do you believe is still lacking with your shooting?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far just close 5-25 yard fast shooting. Thats why I chose the SD3G
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am honestly not trying to be a dick here, but maybe there are other issues with your shooting if it (1) needs to improve and (2) a S3DG doesn't help.

If I put any money in to an AR for the sake of accuracy, it is going to be a better barrel first, then better ammo, then a better trigger... this is of course ignoring practice (aka lots of ammo and time) for the sake of kit which seems to be a common theme.

To each his own and all of that, but the break on this trigger really should help you with accuracy if you are like most people.  If it doesn't, what do you believe is still lacking with your shooting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly I was just hoping we could lower our split times down to a consistent less than 0.10 shot to shot time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What sort of accuracy are you looking for?  Pie plate/combat?  What kind of times?  3sec/round?  Because if so, I'm not surprised in the least that this trigger is no better than stock for most people.

Pull back to 100 yards standing and do failure to stop drills.  Which trigger nets better times with the same accuracy?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
If you decide you don't like it, let someone know. It won't last long.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you decide you don't like it, let someone know. It won't last long.
View Quote

That's for sure correct, I own 8 geisseles, 3SSAE, 2SSA, 2ALG, and an SD3G. They are all superb, just different triggers for different uses, I'd buy it in a heartbeat ETA, I'm a navy vet with some competition and real world shooting experience. you need to match your gear to your job, Try it at longer ranges, running and gunning under stressed situations, you just might like it. If not somebody else will
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Same boat, tried out two from Geissele, an AR Gold, and a Timney. Went with the Timney skeletonized 3.5lb'er, different strokes for different folks. Geissele makes great triggers, but like everything in life it comes down what works best for you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Honestly I was just hoping we could lower our split times down to a consistent less than 0.10 shot to shot time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your split times with a stock trigger after 500+ rounds?  And with a S3DG after 500+ rounds?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#18]
If the SD3G didn't increase your follow up shot speed, you're likely not at the level where it matters.... Yet. The reset is lightning fast and super short on that trigger.

Are you letting the trigger all the way out between shots or are you holding it to the rear, letting it forward just so it resets, then firing a follow up?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Well obviously if we are getting 0.14 splits we are just letting off until it resets. Im still learning this thing and was just curious if anyone else had a similar initial impression. Hoping I would find aoneone who did and ended up really liking it. Does it have a break in period?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well obviously if we are getting 0.14 splits we are just letting off until it resets. Im still learning this thing and was just curious if anyone else had a similar initial impression. Hoping I would find aoneone who did and ended up really liking it. Does it have a break in period?
View Quote

I was typing my reply when you were posting that. Obviously you know how to work a trigger. Disregard my post.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have no idea how you can say a bubba'd G.I. trigger is almost as good as a Geissele.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I've gotten .05 splits with a stock trigger at very close stuff.  

You're not alone.  I tried a S3G and had a couple of SSAs that didn't impress me at all.  

The SSA-E is nice, the Hi Speed is awesome.

An ALG QMS is a thing of beauty for $45.  Easily 95% of the S3G and SSA....
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

From my experience, no.  I don't speak for all users though.  

And seriously, don't take this as a dog pile thread.  Everyone has differing opinions on gear.  This is why you won't find any two people who (1) rely on this gear for their life and (2) have complete control over the gear that they use running exactly the same gear (DISCLAIMER: Statement not proven to be 100% true, but experience points in this direction).  

Run what works for you and become proficient at it.  If that means a stock trigger, then light that shit up bro.  

If it means putting another 10k rounds down range with the Geissele only to find out that the majority opinion holds true, then welcome.  Otherwise, move on and don't look back.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I just installed an SSA-E tonight on my AR-10.  From what I heard, I was expecting the clouds to part and the lame to walk.  It seems okay, but I am thinking I might like single stage better and should have tried a Timney 3 lbs single stage.  I like the crispness of the final stage, so I will try it at the range.

I also installed an ALG-ACT on my SBR replacing the Colt stock trigger and can definitely say I am impressed.  Nice clean break.  I think I will get more of those.  My only concern is the pins seem a little looser than the stock ones were.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I noticed a big difference with my SSA.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just installed an SSA-E tonight on my AR-10.  From what I heard, I was expecting the clouds to part and the lame to walk.  It seems okay, but I am thinking I might like single stage better and should have tried a Timney 3 lbs single stage.  I like the crispness of the final stage, so I will try it at the range.

I also installed an ALG-ACT on my SBR replacing the Colt stock trigger and can definitely say I am impressed.  Nice clean break.  I think I will get more of those.  My only concern is the pins seem a little looser than the stock ones were.
View Quote

Not to sound like a dick but you really need to put rounds down range to judge a trigger. I hear all the time on here how people think a trigger is garbage then after shooting several hundred rounds suddenly it's a different trigger. Dry firing is not shooting. Also the SSA-E really shines on long distance shooting.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Getting the same results with different equipment doesn't make the equipment the same, or of the same quality/capability.

My opinion is that a good/smooth trigger makes accuracy easier for the shooter, but isn't necessary.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a SSA om my 300 BLK. I think it is a subtle difference from a stock trigger  (for me).
I do like the feel. Would consider them for my other rifles. A little pricey,  but so is a lot of AR stuff.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:59:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I had an opportunity to pull every trigger Geissele made and was fairly unimpressed with all of them except the SD3G, flat trigger. Best trigger I have ever pulled. Recently bought an ACT that everybody loves and it is a 10 pound trigger that rates in the worst 3 triggers I have pulled.

It makes one wonder if there is variance in the manufacture of those triggers or if humans perceive the same thing so very differently.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Definitely plan to try it on the range.  I think I mainly the two stage bothers me, but I am going to test it out and see how it works at the range.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:09:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I have three SSAs, love them. I found a S3G at my LGS and I needed a trigger for my new Compressor 2 lower so I bought it. I do not like it at all. Only thing I can figure is it does not play well with the Compressor's KNS pins. I am going to try it on a standard lower with standard pins. If that does not work, I am going to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:02:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Are you certain you have a SD3G?
View Quote

first thing that popped into my head.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I have an SD3G in a 308 and really like it for both close-up work and a bit of long range. With that....I came to aftermarket triggers with a healthy amount of time on a mil-spec trigger. I did not dislike, per se my upgraded aftermarket triggers, but I think all of my time with a mil-spec pushed me away from them. I was in the same line of thought as you right now "Did I really just pay all that money for this?!" The first drop-in afermarket trigger I really liked was my Timney 3.5#. I believe I liked it from the get go, because it was 1) Single Stage and 2) Broke like what I had always imagined a mil-spec should; clean and crisp. What originally brought me two Geissele was the search for a flat blade trigger. I bought both a CMC and a SD3G at the same time. If a flat blade puts your finger in a more natural position and helps you shoot better then Geissele is the answer, IMO. Some people don't do well with them and I don't think its a ding on either the product or the shooter.

But throw all of that out of the window because the best and fastest trigger I have is in my JP15 from the factory
I think Stick really nailed it all in all. Reducing splits isn't about equipment but efficiency of movement. The best thing I ever purchased for increasing my efficiency on the gun was 2 cameras. Diagnose your shooting before throwing equipment at it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I installed the Geissele in a Tavor and I installed one in my Armalite AR-10 and am very happy with them.
That said, I have a NM trigger in a Rock River lower that is just as nice as far as I can tell.  Happy with that trigger as well.

And I ordered an AR from Fulton Armory and chose the NM trigger option for $115.00 and that trigger is very nice as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#36]
This is not GD, - Old_Painless

Just kidding, I know what u mean.  It's not the dramatic life-changing experience some would have you believe.  However, they are enough of an improvement that i am very happy with that extra $ spent on my ARs
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#37]
You should have purchased the Hiperfire 24C 3 gun trigger then there would have been no doubt about the improvement.

Vince
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Geissele's first trigger, the NM Hi Speed was a definite improvement. Biggest one for me was the extended trigger bow. It has been reliable
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have three SSAs, love them. I found a S3G at my LGS and I needed a trigger for my new Compressor 2 lower so I bought it. I do not like it at all. Only thing I can figure is it does not play well with the Compressor's KNS pins. I am going to try it on a standard lower with standard pins. If that does not work, I am going to get rid of it.
View Quote

It's a known fact that Geissele recommends against using KNS pins with their triggers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I am a fan of Geissele triggers on guns that I shoot at 300+ yards. They make a big difference for me.

I do not feel that they are of a huge advantage for everyday shooters.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I am a fan of Geissele triggers on guns that I shoot at 300+ yards. They make a big difference for me.

I do not feel that they are of a huge advantage for everyday shooters.
View Quote

This.

That being said, I have nicer triggers in all my rifles, including my "close up" stuff.

Some people like driving a chevy, I prefer a cadillac.  Both will get ya there, one's just nicer
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I will trade you a box of M855 for it.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not expert, but I've always thought of them as precision triggers for long range accuracy.  that's the application where I've seen the most accolades, by far.

I've never considered them for faster follow up shots.  Is that what the trigger you bought is designed for?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm not expert, but I've always thought of them as precision triggers for long range accuracy.  that's the application where I've seen the most accolades, by far.

I've never considered them for faster follow up shots.  Is that what the trigger you bought is designed for?
View Quote

Each style is suited to a different purpose. The SD3G is a " run -n- gun" trigger.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that's funny.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll go 6 stripper clips, that's about equal market value, right?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yes, you might be the only one. I have yet to find a mil spec trigger that's anywhere near as good as a geissele.
View Quote

he's certainly not the only one
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#48]
as others have mentioned triggers are a very personal matter. i recently got and installed a CMC 3.5lb trigger. reviews i had read said this was a great trigger. my remington 700 was tuned to 3.5lb's so i said well that should be perfect! bought it, installed it and wasn't impressed.

it felt squishy to me. i know we're talking about very light pull weights, but still my remington at the same pull weight felt much more firm and controllable. i had a good mil spec trigger in the lower i swapped it out for that i'm seriously considering putting back in, even with the higher pull weight i think i'd have better luck.

were all those reviews wrong? probably not. it's just not my thing. and as someone else has said, if you use the same trigger for 10 years, you're probably just really comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Havent used that one, but my 2 SD-E's are great 2 stagers. Have them on my 2 precision AR's.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#50]
My ALG ACT is a HUGE improvement over a stock trigger, even one that's well broken in.  It is smooth, crisp, and very consistent.  My SSA-E is an ENORMOUS improvement over any stock trigger and there's a huge difference between it and my ACT.  

The ACT is a single-stage trigger that's basically a stock trigger with all the grit and creep removed, and then with a great coating that resists wear and maintains all that smoothness.  Compare a brand new stock trigger to a brand new ACT, and you'll see a substantial difference in how much you have to pay attention to the trigger when firing.

The SSA (and SSA-E) is a two-stage trigger.  You CANNOT simply compare it to a stock trigger, because stock is a single stage trigger.  With the SSA, you get a very smooth take up stage, and then a crisp (Geissele calls it a "carrot break") release stage.  With the SSA-E, you get the same, but with an "icicle break" release - crisper.  With my SSA-E, it's like "pull to take up, then think "fire."

As Stickman says, the trigger is only part of the accuracy equation.  You can't buy expensive parts and expect them to magically make you more accurate.  You have to practice with your gun, learn its foibles and preferences, and adjust yourself to the gun.  A great trigger makes it easier to pay attention to things other than the trigger.

On the other hand, with a tried-and-true, quality trigger like the SSA, you're one step closer to covering those bases.  Get used to the rifle with that trigger, and you can start paying more attention to breath control, sight alignment, and positioning.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top