Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 10:37:45 AM EDT
I am buying a complete upper and am looking for a complete lower. The only REAL care i have is the trigger. The gun is just basically a yote killer and will be used for battle.... IF the worold goes nuts. I am not much of a plinker. So its mostly for hunting.

I want a decent trigger in the lower. I dont care much about the style, what its made of, etc... I dont want to pay a fortune on it... Just looking for a good decent trigger... preferable a
single stage trigger. Is this even out there... or will have to add an aftermarket trigger like an ALG or Timney? I am open to getting a stripped lower and adding a decent lower parts kit
if that is the only way to make it happen...

Your thoughts? Thx.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Just get the lower you want, and swap in a better trigger.

ETA: I missed the single stage part.

I've used a Timney AR-15 Competition that was 4LBS, and it was nice for a single stage.

I prefer two-stage triggers.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It's really not hard to assemble a lower.  Find the trigger you want in your price range and go to town.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Your run-of-the-mill single stage trigger can vary in pull quality from gun to gun, even within the same manufacturer.  You can't really say that X brand's "mil-spec" trigger is "nicer" than Y brand's "mil-spec" trigger across the board.  This is especially since "mil-spec" allows a pull weight of anywhere from 5.5 to 8.5 pounds (I'll double check on that, but that's about right).

You'd be better off just buying something and then buying a ALG trigger (they're relatively inexpensive) if the trigger is not to your liking.

Edited: 5.5 to 8.5 for semiauto only
           5.5 to 8.5 for semiauto / automatic selectable
           5.5 to 9.5 for burst
Source is page 134 of Colt Manual No. CM118 ("Operation and Unit Maintenance Manual" First Edition REV 3, copyright 2010)
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your run-of-the-mill single stage trigger can vary in pull quality from gun to gun, even within the same manufacturer.  You can't really say that X brand's "mil-spec" trigger is "nicer" than Y brand's "mil-spec" trigger across the board.  This is especially since "mil-spec" allows a pull weight of anywhere from 5.5 to 9 pounds (I'll double check on that, but that's about right).

You'd be better off just buying something and then buying a ALG trigger (they're relatively inexpensive) if the trigger is not to your liking.
View Quote

...and the thread is complete.  This nails it accurately and fully.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Your run-of-the-mill single stage trigger can vary in pull quality from gun to gun, even within the same manufacturer.  You can't really say that X brand's "mil-spec" trigger is "nicer" than Y brand's "mil-spec" trigger across the board.  This is especially since "mil-spec" allows a pull weight of anywhere from 5.5 to 8.5 pounds (I'll double check on that, but that's about right).

5.5 to 9.5 for burst
Source is page 134 of Colt Manual No. CM118 ("Operation and Unit Maintenance Manual" First Edition REV 3, copyright 2010)
View Quote

For a $40 trigger ALG cannot be beat.  Crisp with no creep whatsoever.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]
My bcm came with your typical shitty military trigger. It felt like I was dragging my trigger across sand paper. Got the alg act trigger or which ever is the one with the coatings on it. That thing is impressively crisp. It is heavier but crisper break then my SSA!

Definitely recommend the alg trigger for an awesome single stage even though it isn't the lightest break it is crisp like glass

Eta giessele has an excellent YouTube tutorial on proper trigger instal
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I want a decent trigger in the lower. I dont care much about the style, what its made of, etc... I dont want to pay a fortune on it... Just looking for a good decent trigger... preferable a
single stage trigger. Is this even out there... or will have to add an aftermarket trigger like an ALG or Timney? I am open to getting a stripped lower and adding a decent lower parts kit
View Quote

I don't think any standard LPK will give you a "decent" trigger.  However, you can buy a complete RRA LPK that includes their 2-stage trigger (either 4.5# NM or 3.5# Varmint) for $125 delivered.  I like their 2-stage triggers, and I challenge anyone to put together a "decent trigger" lower for less.  (http://www.ar15sales.com/)
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Trigger on my stag has little to no pretravel. And is fairly light.  I need to get my fish scale out to measure... But compared to cmmg, pwa, and rra, I love it.  Check out what others have to say.  Quick google.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
What about doing a trigger 'job' on the trigger that comes with the lower? worth it?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Trigger on my stag has little to no pretravel. And is fairly light.  I need to get my fish scale out to measure... But compared to cmmg, pwa, and rra, I love it.  Check out what others have to say.  Quick google.

View Quote

FWIW, Stag makes the standard trigger parts for RRA.  And no, don't do a 'trigger job' on a stock trigger.  I'm telling you - only $125 for a LPK with match trigger - can't beat it.  Otherwise, just buy a standard LPK from pretty much anywhere for $50-65.  There is little consistency from one trigger to the next regardless of 'brand'.  If you're trying to do it on the cheap, just get a standard LPK and maybe you'll get a good one, or at least one that's "good enough".
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

5.5 to 9.5 for burst
View Quote

This nails it.  I've had triggers from the same manufacturer vary from really good to "I'm throwing this away right now."  The spec range for these triggers is so wide, that it's hard to pick one manufacturer who makes a good one.  It really ends up being luck of the draw.

If you want good, buy a decent complete lower then buy an ALG trigger.  Easy to replace and around $40.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Brownell's has a LPK that comes with a ALG trigger.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Most my rifles have 2 stage triggers either Geissele's or KACs but I have a couple of single stage Spike's Battle Triggers that pleasantly surprised me with their smoothness.   I haven't compared the Spike's to the ALG but I've heard nothing but good things about the ALG.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Factory?

KAC or JP.

Everything else wont technically match.

But with so many good lowers available and so many good triggers......just buy whatever you want and slap em together.  My KAC's all have Wilsons, Giesseles or Larue triggers in them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't think any standard LPK will give you a "decent" trigger.  However, you can buy a complete RRA LPK that includes their 2-stage trigger (either 4.5# NM or 3.5# Varmint) for $125 delivered.  I like their 2-stage triggers, and I challenge anyone to put together a "decent trigger" lower for less.  (http://www.ar15sales.com/)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the route I would take. The RRA Match trigger is almost as good as the Geissele ALG trigger.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What about doing a trigger 'job' on the trigger that comes with the lower? worth it?
View Quote

No it isn't worth it.    Get the alg act and a set of jp springs.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your run-of-the-mill single stage trigger can vary in pull quality from gun to gun, even within the same manufacturer.  You can't really say that X brand's "mil-spec" trigger is "nicer" than Y brand's "mil-spec" trigger across the board.  This is especially since "mil-spec" allows a pull weight of anywhere from 5.5 to 9 pounds (I'll double check on that, but that's about right).

I agree. I have three premium LPKs from PSA, one is good, one is really good, and one is total crap. Just buy a quality aftermarket trigger and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Man, just spend 45 to 65 bucks on an ALG and get on with it. Really.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#19]
some jp springs and a little stone work gives a very nice 4# trigger you guys just like to send that money fine but dont say it can not be done. cost 8 bucks for the springs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
some jp springs and a little stone work gives a very nice 4# trigger you guys just like to send that money fine but dont say it can not be done. cost 8 bucks for the springs.
View Quote

No it isn't about tossing money at a vendor.   A trigger job is far far easier to screw up than to get right.  The problem isn't that a trashed fcg would have to be replaced.   The problem is that a trashed fcg can get you tossed into a pita prison.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#21]
it cant get you prison time there are no cases of that is no different then buying a 2#trigger you take your time stoning the trigger and the hammer the outcome is very pleasing but i have been a machinist all my life so steel work just comes nat to me just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
it cant get you prison time there are no cases of that is no different then buying a 2#trigger you take your time stoning the trigger and the hammer the outcome is very pleasing but i have been a machinist all my life so steel work just comes nat to me just my 2 cents.
View Quote

there is a dude sitting in club fed because he borrowed a 20 year old bushmaster and went to a public range.  The rifle  malfunctioned  intermittantly and fired more than one round per squeeze of the trigger.

So yes screwing up a fcg can get you tossed into a pita prison
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#23]
The ALG quality mil-spec trigger is 45$ with free shipping from Aim. Quality trigger with all the reliability of the mil-spec trigger.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#24]
All of the above aftermarket triggers are VERY good, but OP if you don't want to mess around with assembling a lower or replacing a fire control group I'd recommend a Rock River Arms lower, I have one with a single stage and one with a two stage trigger, both are nice lowers and fit well on multiple uppers from various makers. I've also purchased two PSA 'premium' single stage triggers for stripped lowers, both work as well as my RRA triggers so I wouldn't hesitate to look at a PSA 'premium' complete lower either.
One thing that impressed me about the PSA FCG was all the mating surfaces were polished like a mirror...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

there is a dude sitting in club fed because he borrowed a 20 year old bushmaster and went to a public range.  The rifle  malfunctioned  intermittantly and fired more than one round per squeeze of the trigger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proof??
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am buying a complete upper and am looking for a complete lower. The only REAL care i have is the trigger. The gun is just basically a yote killer and will be used for battle.... IF the worold goes nuts. I am not much of a plinker. So its mostly for hunting.

Your thoughts? Thx.
View Quote

It is time for you to build a lower.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#27]
If you want to spend the money, JP's lowers with factory-installed triggers are excellent.  You can install one, yourself, but the job the do at the factory is unsurpassed.  Their triggers have no creep or grit, a "glass rod" break, and a very short reset.  I use them for competition, and couldn't be more pleased.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Proof??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proof??

US vs Olofson
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

US vs Olofson
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proof??

US vs Olofson

Apparently the guy that was actually charged was the one that "lent" the rifle.  And he knew about the 3rd position.  Sentenced to 30 months.

In any case there is a big difference in a malfunction that can happen to anyone, and knowingly modifying a rifle to do it.
So, that case doesn't apply.  

ETA:  I'm with most everyone else here.  Aftermarket trigger and/or springs are the way to go.  Luck of the draw with standard "mil-spec" trigger groups.  And stoning or trying to polish them won't do much but wear them prematurely.  Yes, I've done it myself, and yes I've seen some improvement.  But no more so than actually firing or even dry firing would accomplish.  JP yellows, a bobbed hammer, and a well broken in trigger is as far as I would go before coming out with the fundage for an actual purpose built aftermarket trigger.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Nemo uses the SSA E
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Your thoughts? Thx.
View Quote

PSA stripped lower, LPK minus FCG, Geissele G2S.

Done!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not going to discuss prison, but I will say messing with a mil-spec FCG is stupid considering the low cost options out there.

The FCG is only surface hardened, too much grinding/stoning/removing metal can and will weaken what was originally a very reliable trigger. Bill Springfield AR15 trigger jobs are well known for shitting the bed, pony up for a Geissele or ALG and JP springs if on a budget.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#33]
The complete KAC lower I used for my MK18 would have to have the best factory trigger of any AR I own.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top