Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:19:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  No, you're doing it right.  For unconventional shooting positions especially - and particularlly with a mini red dot like the Aimpoint Micro - to the rear is the most useful location.

I'm convinced that the propensity of red dots forward is due to monkey-see-monkey-do.  We see HSLD guys running 'em forward without considering that one good reason for that is that they use night vision goggles and/or they're using ACOGs, which have very short eye relief (necessitating mounting further forward).
View Quote

Que?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Que?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  No, you're doing it right.  For unconventional shooting positions especially - and particularlly with a mini red dot like the Aimpoint Micro - to the rear is the most useful location.

I'm convinced that the propensity of red dots forward is due to monkey-see-monkey-do.  We see HSLD guys running 'em forward without considering that one good reason for that is that they use night vision goggles and/or they're using ACOGs, which have very short eye relief (necessitating mounting further forward).

Que?

Most ACOGs have very short eye relief, so he's suggesting that typically the ACOG is positioned optimally at the rear and the (more forgiving) T1 is positioned further forward. Since the OP has an ACOG with more forgiving eye relief, he can position the T1 behind the ACOG.

Makes sense to me, I haven't tried either way since my T1 is on one rifle and my TA33 is on another rifle. As long as the T1 isn't being peppered by brass, and I don't see that really being an issue, then the setup is fine.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No, you're doing it right.  For unconventional shooting positions especially - and particularlly with a mini red dot like the Aimpoint Micro - to the rear is the most useful location.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

advantage of moving it forward is it actually increases the eye box.RDSs have a cone shaped eye box, the further you are away from it the larger it gets. No advantage with a normal cheek weld,  comes in handy in unconventional shooting positions.

Having the RDS farther out also makes it more sensitive to head position. You can lose the dot easier if your eye is farther away. This is especially true of the smaller "windowed" Micro vs something like a M4 or M4s. The extreme version of this is using a Micro on a pistol; you really have to practice guiding your eye to the dot at full arm extension.

If you're talking about shooting urban prone or off your back, etc, then I'm not sure I'd want the RDS too far down the rifle because you'll be off cheekweld and often completely off the rifle with your face.

Then again, there's always the possibility that I'm doing it wrong.

No, you're doing it right.  For unconventional shooting positions especially - and particularlly with a mini red dot like the Aimpoint Micro - to the rear is the most useful location.

Nope. An IR laser is used for aiming with NODs, or clip ons. shooting thru your RDS with head mounted NV isn't common practice. try it and you'll see why.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top