Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2015 4:15:15 AM EDT
I have decided on a 14.5 inch barrel.  I have ruled out the JP and am down to two choices.  It's between the V7 lightweight match with the fluting upgrade ($580, 21 ounces) and BCM mid-length enhanced lightweight - fluted ($269, 19.5 ounces).  Both appear to be quality products.  I have used a BCM 16" and it shot very well.  Any one have experience with V7 barrels?  

Also, the price difference is huge.  What do you guys think is the better choice?

I want to keep weight down as much as possible and still be consistent.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#1]
was voodoo innovations ever considered?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#2]
This thread interests me.  Can the V7 barrels be worth their cost?  I have been looking at Wilson Combat stainless match barrels.  People seem to talk good things about voodoo and a few others for around a $250-$350 budget.  Then we have hammer forged, stainless, 4150 melonite.  Lots and lots of choices out there.  How do you choose?  Where is the balance between accuracy and longevity all things considered?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
That's way too expensive for just saving a couple ounces while maintaining far distance accuracy.

I run the spikes lightweight 14.5 middy (22oz) and it's more accurate than I'll ever be (at 100 yards at least, haven't shot past that but don't really see the point to shooting a 14.5 at farther distances).
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's way too expensive for just saving a couple ounces while maintaining far distance accuracy.
View Quote

I agree, the shooter is the overriding factor when it comes to accuracy. I cannot see spending that kind of money on a barrel. I have had great results with Green Mountain Barrels.

V
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#5]
What kind of ammo do you plan to shoot?

Unless you shoot very good (i.e. expensive or handload) ammo, a very good (i.e. expensive) barrel won't gain you anything.

Get the BCM unless you plan to benchrest your AR.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]
A majority of my shooting will be shorter range on steel targets with pmc ammo.  But then I do reload also.  Cost aside, is the V7 a more accurate barrel?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

A majority of my shooting will be shorter range on steel targets with pmc ammo.  But then I do reload also.  Cost aside, is the V7 a more accurate barrel?
View Quote

More than likely, yes the V7 will be more accurate as it's a match grade stainless steel barrel, where as the BCM is a chrome-lined, mil-spec CMV steel barrel.

However, there are various other barrels out there, for much less, that will likely (key word likely) compete with the V7 in terms of accuracy.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

More than likely, yes the V7 will be more accurate as it's a match grade stainless steel barrel, where as the BCM is a chrome-lined, mil-spec CMV steel barrel.

However, there are various other barrels out there, for much less, that will likely (key word likely) compete with the V7 in terms of accuracy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have any suggestions of one?  Also near te 20 ounce mark.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's one option.

You can choose the twist rate, barrel profile, fluting, finish, crown, etc. Even with similar options, I think a BHW barrel would come in under the cost of the V7.

ETA: I came up with about $405 with light profile, fluting under the hand guard and gas block forward, standard finish, threaded 1/2-28.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with an FN CHF chromie!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Blackhole weaponry looks good.  I emailed them for the weights of their barrels.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Blackhole weaponry looks good.  I emailed them for the weights of their barrels.
View Quote

Blackhole weaponry makes Rainer barrels this will give you an idea of unfluted barrel weight. I had one of these barrels and they are very accurate.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Blackhole weaponry makes Rainer barrels this will give you an idea of unfluted barrel weight. I had one of these barrels and they are very accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a great indicator of quality.   I have a ranier and its dead nuts on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Said another way, you don't need a high end barrel unless you plan to benchrest with high end ammo.

Just about any barrel made will out shoot PMC; the BCM definitely will.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:24:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Said another way, you don't need a high end barrel unless you plan to benchrest with high end ammo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BCM sounds like the better choice at the moment.  If I decide to hand load and go for groups I can always get a V7 later.  This will add 300 to my optics budget.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got that exact same BCM barrel I used for a lightweight build. It's a nice barrel but not match grade. I'm pretty sure V7 is owned by a former Noveske employee, so I'm sure they make nice barrels. Really comes down to whether or not you need a match grade barrel and if the extra cost is worth it to you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top