Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2015 10:37:58 PM EDT
Can anybody tell me about this rifle?  Ive been in the hunt for a solid 14.5 inch pinned rifle.  Came across this deal on slickguns but i have no knowledge or experience with Armalite.  Would this be better than say a PSA cold hammer forged build.  The price of the Armalite is tempting but id like to have a gun that would be suitable for duty use.  All help appreciated.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/armalite-m15-a4-556-carbine-pinned-break-69999-1474-sh
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a 16" Armalite HBAR that is basically the same rifle you have there with the exception of a different barrel.  Same chrome lining process.

I topped mine with a TA01 and it's one of the best shooting and most accurate ARs I own.  

I don't know if I'm a big enough gear snob to really tell the differences between my PSA carbine and middy rifles with the FN barrels, but in my experience they have all functioned flawlessly, and that makes them gtg.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a M4 I got 6 years ago, the gun is smooth, finish is good and the accuracy is great, I have built 5 PSA rifles and the only ones I would rate as high are built from FN parts, lowers and uppers.
I have a Match Target Colt and I consider the Armalite its equal in finish and fit, I did use the lower for my SPR build and pt a Timney trigger in it.
I don't know why but the gun in the pic looks like a 14.5" barrel.
The discription says 16" barrel but pinned break, I would guess its a 14.5 with extended, looks like this one from ARmi site

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=LEC15A4CBK-14.5&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=f7c054fc-87a1-41f1-89bf-df84e8fd90f4
2 stage tactical trigger, i would call CDNN and clear some stuff up before purchasing, barrel twist?
I think its a good price, make sure CDNN does not have some special running where you get mags and case, would help but still should be a good ar for the money. Mag value around $35-$40?
Looks like $850 from Buds.
I like 14.5 but I like deciding what Muzzle device they get "usually a Smith Vortex" but still could be removed by a skilled machinist.

I would say it has a 1:7 twist, I truthfully like a 1:9 in ars that are going to be used as range guns and plinkers, I have had a bushy keyhole 55gr and a PSA that went from basketball to golf ball groups when using 55 and 62.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
My ArmaLite M15A4 (with 16" barrel and 2-stage trigger) turned 10 years old last week. I love it to death, and have no intention of selling it, ever. For its birthday, I got it a new Magpul stock.

Anyway, ArmaLite makes pretty decent hardware. They also have a nice selection of National Match parts, if you're so inclined.

Edit to add: their 2-stage trigger has adjustable trigger pull. Just FYI.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:01:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Dont hesitate on the Armalite. Id take the lion over the pony any day of the week
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]

My son had an Armalite about 5 or 6 years ago.  I don't remember which model it was but it had a match-grade barrel and trigger.  I remember him shooting some damn fine groups at 200 yards with it.  Functioned flawlessly.

I ended up getting it from him because he owed me a decent size sum of money.  It sat in my gun safe for about a year...then I sold it to a friend of a friend for what I considered a fair price.  No kidding...about two weeks after I sold it (and the soft case and many spare mags), Sandy Hook happened and the price of shit went through the roof.  Damn it!!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I am hoping that this rifle has a 1:7 twist but for $700.00 I think Im going to pick one up.  Was also curious as to the little details.  Mil Spec receiver extension, Full Auto Bolt, HPT/MPI, etc.  Anybody know
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Armalite doesn't get a lot of promo on this site because they aren't a sponsor, so I'm told.  That said, I would put my Armalite up against any other brand as far as reliability and accuracy. The mil-spec quality is equal to any of the dozens of Colt's I have shot or worked on. I am not a big fan of billet receivers. As far as forged receivers goes, I'm still waiting for someone to make the case for some of the newer nouveau brands being better than Armalite or Colt. Remember,
A rmalite R ifle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#8]
ArmaLite makes a great AR308(the AR10), I can attest to that. Also they have some of the best technical manuals out there. Lifetime warranty, good company, good gun, good to go.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I like Armalite but there are wee bit overpriced
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Overpriced compared to what?  Their M4 style rifles have historically been about $800 to $850 when Colt's were running about $1100.  Their 308 rifles have been around $1200 to $1300, and they have recently introduced models that are under $1000.  With sales way down, and just about all manufacturer prices at rock bottom, their prices might only seem so so.  But with all things being equal, I have never seen Armalites going for exorbitant prices.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted: Remember, A rmalite R ifle.
View Quote

Damn straight!

Armalite Rifle model 15

Same goes for the AR-10. It was also developed at ArmaLite, and is actually the rifle from which the AR-15 was developed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Damn straight!

Armalite Rifle model 15

Same goes for the AR-10. It was also developed at ArmaLite, and is actually the rifle from which the AR-15 was developed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn straight!

Armalite Rifle model 15

The company currently known as "ArmaLite" has absolutely ZERO connection with ArmaLite division of Fairchild Aircraft that developed the AR-10 & AR-15.

The ORIGINAL ArmaLite went under in the early seventies, Eagle Arms purchased the defunct name & Trademark.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The company currently known as "ArmaLite" has absolutely ZERO connection with ArmaLite division of Fairchild Aircraft that developed the AR-10 & AR-15.

The ORIGINAL ArmaLite went under in the early seventies, Eagle Arms purchased the defunct name & Trademark.
View Quote

This is correct, but does not invalidate what I said.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought my first Armalite over the summer...16" AR-10 Carbine.  The fit and finish is fantastic and there is no need to replace the triggers in them.  They have very nice two-stage triggers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Im thinking $700.00 is a good price for a 14.5 inch pinned carbine that appears to be mil spec.  Im still not sure about the twist rate or the receiver extension but none the less I think its a great price for a rifle that closely resembles and compares to a Colt 6921.  No?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Im thinking $700.00 is a good price for a 14.5 inch pinned carbine that appears to be mil spec.  Im still not sure about the twist rate or the receiver extension but none the less I think its a great price for a rifle that closely resembles and compares to a Colt 6921.  No?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah good price. I usually see them listed just below $900.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#17]
ArmaLite uses mil-spec extensions and stocks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine came with a commercial 6-position buffer tube and stock.

But that was 10 years ago. Maybe they switched to mil-spec?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I have searched high and low looking for the twist rate of the barrel on the rifle i linked to in the OP with no results.  Anybody know?  If not i will call Armalite tomorrow.  If 1:7 i will buy ASAP, If 1:9 i will have to think about it.  Like i said this rifle will likely see use on patrol and we use heavier grain rounds (i know it doesnt matter most times but it does to me).

ETA: Just found the same upper and it shows a 1:9 twist.  May still FO any damn way.  Would be a great rifle for my son to carry at the deer camp.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I built my rifle using all their parts back in 2010, they were mil-spec.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have searched high and low looking for the twist rate of the barrel on the rifle i linked to in the OP with no results.  Anybody know?  If not i will call Armalite tomorrow.  If 1:7 i will buy ASAP, If 1:9 i will have to think about it.  Like i said this rifle will likely see use on patrol and we use heavier grain rounds (i know it doesnt matter most times but it does to me).

ETA: Just found the same upper and it shows a 1:9 twist.  May still FO any damn way.  Would be a great rifle for my son to carry at the deer camp.
View Quote

Keep in mind, the 1:7" twist was / is to stabilize M856 Tracer. Unless you are going to run uber heavy projectiles you will be fine with 1:9

My Patrol rifle has a Colt 1:12" twist barrel as my Duty Round is Hornady Urban Tap 40 gr .223

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Once upon a time,  the AR game was dominated by "ABC" (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt)

While Armalite is no longer considered top tier, they still produce a quality rifle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn straight!

Armalite Rifle model 15

Just like Jeep.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you look at their website the 14.5" upper you want is 1:7 twist
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just like Jeep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn straight!

Armalite Rifle model 15

Just like Jeep.

/\
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected.  You're right.  Just looked at the product number and it is a 14.5 with 1:7 twist rate.  Im gonna complete the transaction today.  Thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a Armalite complete upper, I did change the stock charging handle for a BCM unit, but I am happy with the quality, accuracy of this upper, I have around 500 rounds through it.  Mine is a 16" barrel with all of it rifled.
I would buy parts or whole rifles from them. Not they charge a little more for their triple lapped stuff, worth the extra.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mine came with a commercial 6-position buffer tube and stock.

But that was 10 years ago. Maybe they switched to mil-spec?
View Quote

The RE's on my 3 ArmaLites are all mil-spec forged 7075.  Looking at the website I only see mil-spec RE kits.  My 5.56 is 15 years old and my 7.62's are 10 and 5 years old.

I have a dozen builds here all with ArmaLite LPK's with 2 stage triggers, at $125 for the LPK it's the best bargain in AR land.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I stand corrected.  You're right.  Just looked at the product number and it is a 14.5 with 1:7 twist rate.  Im gonna complete the transaction today.  Thanks for all your help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rep at CDNN I spoke to this AM said they are a 1:9 gun. I ordered one anyway even though I would have preferred a 1:7.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#30]
edit: oops double post
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just like Jeep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn straight!

Armalite Rifle model 15

Just like Jeep.

And Springfield. They still make great stuff though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#32]
best rifle I own is an Armalite ar10tc.

Period.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn straight!

Armalite Rifle model 15

Eagle Arms also obtained all the tooling and equipment from Armalite. The quality, the accuracy and the reliability of my Armalite will match any Colt AR.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Doesn't ArmaLite manufacture and machine their own components? As opposed to being a vendor who buys from a third party.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

The picture at OP's link has the little curve on the bottom of the stock. I thought that was commercial and the mil version was a straight line.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The picture at OP's link has the little curve on the bottom of the stock. I thought that was commercial and the mil version was a straight line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some (most) of them are commercial diameter, it seems, but some are mil-spec. Palmetto State Armory has the curve, but their stocks are mil-spec diameter.

ETA: Not to mention, they have one of the better looking rollmark logos. My favorites being Colt, ArmaLite, and AeroPrecision.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#37]
The "AR"   stands for ARmalite....Many of their weapons were stuff other than rifles.    AFAIC, their stuff is about as good as anybody's .  The barrels were up graded back in '09 to 4150 CMV, and the receiver extensions are 7075....at least on the carbines.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Doesn't ArmaLite manufacture and machine their own components? As opposed to being a vendor who buys from a third party.
View Quote

I'm uncertain, but pretty sure they make most of their own stuff. They have proprietary things they produce like scope mounts and I don't think they would design them and have them outsourced.

Also they have some of the best technical manuals in the business and they are quite often quoted and referenced here. There use to be an AR10 forum exclusively for Armalite but it was condensed due to low traffic I believe.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm uncertain, but pretty sure they make most of their own stuff. They have proprietary things they produce like scope mounts and I don't think they would design them and have them outsourced.

Also they have some of the best technical manuals in the business and they are quite often quoted and referenced here. There use to be an AR10 forum exclusively for Armalite but it was condensed due to low traffic I believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also had an industry forum I used to visit regularly. I think there's still one for the AR-180.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Eagle Arms also obtained all the tooling and equipment from Armalite. The quality, the accuracy and the reliability of my Armalite will match any Colt AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn straight!

Armalite Rifle model 15

REALLY ????

I guess that Colt purchasing the ENTIRE production line when they Purchased the rights to the weapon is a myth, or ArmaLite held back an entire production line secretly for almost THIRTY years and even held on to it for over a decade after they ceased to exist.

AND, they would have purchased manually operated mills where you could have purchased a CNC?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

REALLY ????

I guess that Colt purchasing the ENTIRE production line when they Purchased the rights to the weapon is a myth, or ArmaLite held back an entire production line secretly for almost THIRTY years and even held on to it for over a decade after they ceased to exist.

AND, they would have purchased manually operated mills where you could have purchased a CNC?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn straight!

Armalite Rifle model 15

REALLY ????

^^^ This is correct
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn straight!

Armalite Rifle model 15

I understand your enthusiasm...however!

Having been the VP of Quality some years back...

EA obtained the intelectual property, some original fixtures and gauging.  

ArmaLite had a close relationship to the small arms community and the past President and engineers  of ArmaLite.  The current ArmaLite shares the same heritage as any other iteration of the company.  Just like Jeep.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The "AR"   stands for ARmalite....Many of their weapons were stuff other than rifles.    AFAIC, their stuff is about as good as anybody's .  The barrels were up graded back in '09 to 4150 CMV, and the receiver extensions are 7075....at least on the carbines.  
View Quote

Their barrels were upgraded from 4140 to MIL-B-11595-E CMV.

Some manufacturers add Vanadium to 4150 and call it 4150 CMV.
4150 CMV is not same as MIL-B-11595-E CMV.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top