Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2014 6:58:08 PM EDT
Being that parts are plentiful right now it's almost hard to decide and honestly to some point I understand most name brand are all about the same.
I currently have a BCM in a gun that has run great and I love the heck out of it.
I did go with a $79 BCG from a reputable source but had problems with the firing pin keeper pin going back into place after cleaning as well as a few failures to eject even with the "o-ring" installed. When this happened I popped in the BCM and the cartridge came right out. With that being said you do get some of what you pay for.
So choices are
PSA premium for $99
Fail Zero NIB $129
Spike $129
BCM $140 -150 range off of EE

I'm really between the PSA, to save a few bones, or the BCM because I know they work

*** well I just went with what I know works. Found a BCM on here, new for $140 shipped. There were a few contenders that I didn't list that some mentioned. Thanks to all!

Just putting this out there to get a little feed back
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Rainier bolts go on sale from time to time for $99 and they come with upgraded extractor and springs.
I have to believe I would rather have rainier...

This one goes to $99 when on sale - email them maybe they will tell you when.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The AIM Surplus NiB looks like a good value; i'd want to try that out myself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with DSA. $75 for BCG, $85 for BCG & CH. +$10 S&H.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The BCM will serve you very well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
BCM takes any guess work out of the equation.

Dave N
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer Young Manufacturing.  Should be in the poll above.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BCM takes any guess work out of the equation.

Dave N
View Quote

I have to agree there, everything from BCM that I have used has been very good, but the PSA bolts I have used have been 100% reliable through my abuse, so either one is good.

I also have an AIM Surplus melonite BCG thats been good, at least once I removed the key fasteners and straightened the key then installed new bolts, torqued and staked them properly...then  it was good.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get a new Toolcraft for under $100 - the issued version. I never understood why BCM BCGs are perceived to be better than the rest and why they command a premium.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Myself I would just go with BCM, I don't have a complete BCG but I'm using some of their bolt and carrier parts.

I mainly prefer the brands I had long used like Colt for 43 years and LMT for 9 years without problems, Colt are lower in price currently to around more or less $150 (YMMV).

Other brands that I would consider are Daniel Defense, Centurion Arms, Rainier Arms, LaRue Tactical, Noveske and legit FN.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go with the BCM, have one in my go to rifle.  I also have AIM 99 bcg, and just bought 2 DSG's at 99 during black friday.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Use what has worked for you, in this case, that'd be the BCM
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I would not skimp on a bolt. I have several cheap ons that ran good for a long time, but over the years upgraded to BCM, DD, Spikes, etc...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can get a new Toolcraft for under $100 - the issued version. I never understood why BCM BCGs are perceived to be better than the rest and why they command a premium.
View Quote

This - Toolcraft is an OEM and stamped for issue.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget the well thought of Ares Armor NIB on sale for $99(normally $225). They "were" $79 when I snag'd one a couple months ago. still an awesome price for a GTG BCG.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/nickel_boron_bolt_carrier_group
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#16]
BCM is very likely the only BCG I'll ever buy in the future. They've never let me down and seem tough as nails. I've bought another brand, mainly for the logo and withing a couple months I had to send it back. I often read threads about other BCG problems and one thing they all have in common.....is they're not about BCM. BCMs are a bit more $$ but it's well worth the knowledge that it won't let you down.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I have run a few thousand rounds through a PSA premium over the years, Never had a problem configured as it was straight from PSA. I also have a DD bcg and an LMT enhanced BCG, an ARFCOM ion BCG. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them.

If I needed a BCG right now... I would buy a Toolcraft from Cryptic Coatings for about $110 because it is top notch quality for a reasonable price

http://www.crypticcoatings.com/coated-bolt-carrier-group/

Complete Mil-Spec M-16 Bolt Carrier with Bolt Assembly HPT/MPI Tested:

Mil-Spec BCG Machined from 8620 Aircraft Quality Steel and heat treated to 60-61 RC
   Mil-Spec Chrome Lined Carrier Interior
   Mil- Spec Chrome Lined Gas Key
   Key Staked with Grade 8 Screws, per Mil-Spec
   Mil-Spec Carpenter 158® Bolt w/ Spring and Ejector
   Mil-Spec Extractor w/ Spring and viton O-ring
   Mil-Spec Firing Pin w/ Chrome Finish
   Mil-Spec Cam Pin
View Quote

I dont see what a BCM branded bcg will offer for more money.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#18]
whatever is the cheapest at the time of build
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:13:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't forget the well thought of Ares Armor NIB on sale for $99(normally $225). They "were" $79 when I snag'd one a couple months ago. still an awesome price for a GTG BCG.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/nickel_boron_bolt_carrier_group
View Quote

i snagged one at 79!  GTG
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I have used PSA NIB, DSA NP3 and Toolcraft NIB. They have all been great without any hiccups.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#21]
BCM over the rest.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have run a few thousand rounds through a PSA premium over the years, Never had a problem configured as it was straight from PSA. I also have a DD bcg and an LMT enhanced BCG, an ARFCOM ion BCG. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them.

If I needed a BCG right now... I would buy a Toolcraft from Cryptic Coatings for about $110 because it is top notch quality for a reasonable price

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-zfvgw8/hpbnnl/product_images/uploaded_images/cryptic-coatings-datasheet-manganese-phosphate.jpg?t=1403099061

Mil-Spec BCG Machined from 8620 Aircraft Quality Steel and heat treated to 60-61 RC
   Mil-Spec Cam Pin

The exact BCG in my current underway build.  Checks off all of the spec boxes.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#23]

DSG Arms has a Noveske BCG for $142 and change....but they're out-of-stock as of this post.

I got a DSG 158 Carpenter steel, MP & HPT inspected full-auto bolt w/the upgraded extractor on sale from them a few weeks ago for $99.

OP....wait for something to go on sale.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#24]
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18851/s/full-auto-5-56-bcg-w-carpenter-158-bolt/category/333/
This seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18851/s/full-auto-5-56-bcg-w-carpenter-158-bolt/category/333/
This seems reasonable.
View Quote

WMD NiB-X should have been in the poll.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Another +1 for Cryptic Coatings (Toolcraft). I am running their Mystic Black coating and its awesome but expensive.
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-zfvgw8/hpbnnl/product_images/uploaded_images/cryptic-coatings-datasheet-manganese-phosphate.jpg?t=1403099061

Mil-Spec Cam Pin

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
DSG Arms has a Noveske BCG for $142 and change....but they're out-of-stock as of this post.

I got a DSG 158 Carpenter steel, MP & HPT inspected full-auto bolt w/the upgraded extractor on sale from them a few weeks ago for $99.

View Quote

It is my understanding that Noveske BCGs are actually CMT,, is this correct? Anybody know?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It is my understanding that Noveske BCGs are actually CMT,, is this correct? Anybody know?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I do not know.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Not all BCG are made the same whether they "check the boxes" or not.  There are subtle differences.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I've read, the majority of them are, Yes. There was a batch from a different source at one time (RCA?), which I believe had some issues. I believe Noveske purchased those from RCA during the panic, due to not being able to acquire BCGs from their normal sources.

This is all of course, information I read on various gun boards. No inside info or anything. Someone with more knowledge may be able to comment further.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#31]
just buy a BCM upper and get a free bolt, then you'll have an extra upper

my way of rationalizing purchases
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Should have gotten a Daniel Defense

Honestly of the several phosphated bolts I have, I can see no advantage between my Soikes, BCM, DD, Thunderbolt or the others.  I just say DD because the logo isn't as gawdy and I have the most rounds on them

I think either would be great, and I wish you would have gotten a Spikes and a BCM and done a 20k round torture test
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not all BCG are made the same whether they "check the boxes" or not.  There are subtle differences.
View Quote

Can you specify some of the differences?  For example, what specifically is better about the BCM than a Toolcraft?

Keep in mind that Toolcraft makes BCG's for other "brands".  The Toolcraft also carries the government 1B1B6 contract engraving:

I'd like to know something other than just someone being a brand loyalist.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mil-Spec Cam Pin

I like this offering...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Can you specify some of the differences?  For example, what specifically is better about the BCM than a Toolcraft?

Keep in mind that Toolcraft makes BCG's for other "brands".  The Toolcraft also carries the government 1B1B6 contract engraving:

http://www.wcarmory.com/image-smp/toolcraft-inc-t00auto-011mgn-toolcraft-bcg-223-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-black-1b1b6-9310-000000009423-all-products_62653_500x500.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.wcarmory.com/image-smp/toolcraft-inc-t00auto-011mgn-toolcraft-bcg-223-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-black-1b1b6-9310-000000009423-all-products_62653_500x500.jpg

I love BCM, but I just bought one of these last night for a new upper I have. In my opinion for $92 you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I pay extra for better quality every time.

Standard, phosphate BCGs for $200 is laughable though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#37]
tool craft the 1b1b6 cage code was made for FN and the oring itself can cause failures to eject because the extractor has too much tension xpower extractor spring is all thats needed with a black insert....i love BCM but now its like colt name to justify higher prices for products .their prices rose when things were in short supply and they never came back down
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
tool craft the 1b1b6 cage code was made for FN and the oring itself can cause failures to eject because the extractor has too much tension xpower extractor spring is all thats needed with a black insert....i love BCM but now its like colt name to justify higher prices for products .their prices rose when things were in short supply and they never came back down
View Quote

Pretty much why I have not bought any  BCM or Colt (colt has come down to earth though) products in the past 3-4 years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#39]
OP, all of the following are great complete BCG's... You'd be hard pressed to find a turd with any of the listed. You really can't go wrong with any of them...

Spikes
Fail Zero
BCM
ToolCraft
Colt
PSA(Premium BCG's)
AimSurplus'
Stag
Windham Weaponry
Young Manufacturing
Daniel Defense
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I will say that my BCM BCG seems to have a thicker finish than any others.  I have one PSA Premium that seems well made.  Same with the Spike's that I have.  But the BCM seems a notch above, finish-wise.  Not all the BCM BCGs look like mine.  Mine almost looks to have a crinkle finish.  It is not as smooth and darker.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I will say that my BCM BCG seems to have a thicker finish than any others.  I have one PSA Premium that seems well made.  Same with the Spike's that I have.  But the BCM seems a notch above, finish-wise.  Not all the BCM BCGs look like mine.  Mine almost looks to have a crinkle finish.  It is not as smooth and darker.
View Quote

I think the question is whether that phosphate finish is worth another $100 premium.

Just so many other quality makers using the same steels, same testing, same steels.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think the question is whether that phosphate finish is worth another $100 premium.

Just so many other quality makers using the same steels, same testing, same steels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say no.  But mine came in an upper for free
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top