Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2014 5:40:49 PM EDT

What's the proper position for the prongs?

Is one of the prongs supposed to be at the top, at the 12 o'clock position or should one of the gaps be at the top?

... or does it not matter?

Thx,

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

What's the proper position for the prongs?

Is one of the prongs supposed to be at the top, at the 12 o'clock position or should one of the gaps be at the top?

... or does it not matter?

Thx,

View Quote

According to AAC it doesn't matter, but I'd like to hear from anyone that has experimented with timing.

Is everyone that is using a 3 prong FH have a horizontally neutral recoil impulse regardless of timing?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I can confirm that the orientation of my AAC Blackout does not have an effect on muzzle movement.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]

All of the discussions that I've found so far seem to indicate that it doesn't matter and it's user preference.

I was just wondering if anyone with more experience had an opinion.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an AAC and while officially timing doesn't affect performance, I always time mine so there is a slot at 12:00.

I do this more to minimize the possibility of a dust signature with a downward facing slot than to counter muzzle climb.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I just timed mine so the flats were vertical and the solid prong was bottom center. It had more to do with years of my dad smacking me on the head for not putting the screws on electrical switch covers aligned vertically than anything else.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always seen the Silencerco trifecta mounted with on prong at 6 o'clock and an open space at 12 o'clock.

As long as the gas is separated in different directions, as is intended, it should work regardless of direction. I'd speculate that having a prong at 6 o'clock is to give a slight compensating effect and doesn't effect the flash suppression.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I had my AAC timed like a Y on it's side, 15min counter clockwise, never kicked up dust shooting prone, crouched over under a car style, nor had issues with flash. 5 years of use leads me to believe, it' doesn't matter all THAT much.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just timed mine so the flats were vertical and the solid prong was bottom center. It had more to do with years of my dad smacking me on the head for not putting the screws on electrical switch covers aligned vertically than anything else.
View Quote

Your dad sounds like a good man...

...and I have no constructive input on this topic but have a 3-prong waiting on an upper so I am in for the discussion...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Original GI 3-prongs were not clocked in any particular position.  Just tighten it up.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is how I have my AACs, for no good damn reason, just do
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have an AAC and while officially timing doesn't affect performance, I always time mine so there is a slot at 12:00.

I do this more to minimize the possibility of a dust signature with a downward facing slot than to counter muzzle climb.

Wpns Man
View Quote

I do it this way as well, partly to kick up less dust but mainly because it just looks right this way....IMO of course.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I have my AAC on my mid-length timed with  a prong at 6 o'clock.  Why?  Because it puts the AAC logo and the wrench flats in correct orientation.  The wrench flats are at the 3 and 6 o'clock positions and the AAC logo at the 12 o'clock.  Coincidence?  I think not.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#13]
The packaging says to use rocksett, and tighten directly to the shoulder though. Do those of you that time the FH use rocksett and shims?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top