Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 10:19:30 AM EDT
Has anyone bought a Bushmaster recently? I am sure this has been asked before but I am looking at the XM15 A3 carbine since there are some great deals on them lately, but just curious what the currently quality is like these days since everything else freedom group bought has gone downhill. I know Bushmaster has recently been sued so I wouldn't mind showing my support. (If this is not the proper location for this thread please relocate it.)
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
A current bushmaster in all of its non mil spec, commercial glory will still make a decent cheap Ar platform for the safe. If found for the right price.  IMO

And because it is an AR--any fix that you MAY have to make, will be cheap and readily available.

FWIW, my boss bought one at walmart on black Friday. I checked it our and was actually surprised at the fit and finish.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The windham/Maine bushmasters were no great shakes either. Would you buy a gun built by a guy who knew he was going to be fired before Christmas
View Quote

Damn that is funny.

The price is 599.99 w/ a 50$ rebate going on right now. I could easily swap out the parts for better parts down the road, just wondering if the base price is worth it....or if I should buy/assemble instead.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#4]
IMO, for $550?

Jump on it. The rifle is better than that price. Not as good/consistent/solid as some of the higher dollar platforms, but still much better than $550.

A friend of mine picked up the same deal. Rifle looks/feels/performs great, and it took about 5 weeks for the rebate. She doesn't use it for work. Just recreational plinking and hog hunting, so she's very satisfied. I feel I would be too, for her usage of it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a good friend that has a Windham that he has shot several thousand rounds without nary a bobble. He loves it, prefers it over his DD carbine. [ I have an older BM 20'' A2 with approaching 5K rounds--- never a bobble ] I personally would get the $550 rifle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#6]
$550 and you are talking about upgrades? You can buy a nice AR these days for about $600 - $700
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I was disappointed the stock and tube (Commerical Vs. Mil spec), but other than that, it is a decent and affordable AR with a lot of value for the dollar.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my Windham (former bushy plant/employees) never had an issue with it. It's funny that someone brought up rifles built by people who know they are getting fired when correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the remingtion / bushmaster  NY Plant being shut down ?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Bushmaster M4A3 Patrolman's Carbine about a month ago.  It looks great and works fine. It is as accurate as I am, and I put 340 rounds thru it with no malfunctions.

But....I have checked it with a 1.4696 no-go gauge, and the bcg will close on it.  So, something is out of spec.  I tried it with a different BCG tho, and it passes.  Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I would go with an M&P 15 Sport for the same money.  

Or, if I knew then what I know now, I would have ordered a 16" Premium upper and a complete lower from Palmetto State Armory.  They have a mil spec upper right now for $259 without BCG and charging handle. You can get one of their lowers for $189, and a BCG & charging handle for around $100.  Put all those together and you will have a better rifle for the $550. JMHO.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love my Windham (former bushy plant/employees) never had an issue with it. It's funny that someone brought up rifles built by people who know they are getting fired when correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the remingtion / bushmaster  NY Plant being shut down ?
View Quote

Don't know if they are being shut down, but Bushmaster is being sued by some of the parents and relatives of the Sandy Hook victims.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't know if they are being shut down, but Bushmaster is being sued by some of the parents and relatives of the Sandy Hook victims.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's like suing GM for the drunk driver killing someone in his car
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Doesn't prevent them from trying.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a bushy and I have about 1k rounds through it. Never a problem. Shoots like a dream. It eats anything I feed it. Good ammo, that dirty Russian stuff, anything. 550? thats a steal if you ask me
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are liberals we're talking about...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up the BM ORC for $599 - $50 rebate last weekend.  I haven't shot it yet but I did appreciate the gas screws were staked unlike my 2009 BM.  I think it is a great deal
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in the SWFA store today and saw Bushy's for $549.....don't know what model it was as I breezed in, got my merchandise, and breezed right on out the door.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Windham bushmaster xm15 from around 2008 and the barrel nut loosened on its own from just range shooting.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I appreciate everyone's input. I keep going back and forth on this, so I am unsure if I will buy one or not.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Just bought a Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine, have put about 50 rounds though it and it is running like a dream.  Though it's m y first AR I can still vouch for the smooth controls and overall high quality.  Vast improvement over my other rifle (Wasr 10 - Ak47)
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:39:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have a Windham bushmaster xm15 from around 2008 and the barrel nut loosened on its own from just range shooting.
View Quote

While I admit that THAT shouldn't have happened....at least it was a simple fix and nothing was broke.

Let's not forget people, any problem that can happen to a rifle, can and will happen to not only the inexpensive ones, but higher-end ones as well (the frequency may be less though).  I've certainly read enough threads of people having problems with their Colts, BCM's, Larues, etc.  Now...I would really be disappointed if I dropped close to three grand on a rifle and it had a problem similar to some of the ones attributed to Bushys, DPMS, etc.

This is why I now build my rifles using only quality parts.  High quality rifle...lower cost.  Why pay a manufacturer to assemble a rifle when you can do it yourself?

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like suing GM for the drunk driver that stole the keys from a legal owner who then proceeded to kill someone in the stolen GM car.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
More like suing GM for the drunk driver that stole the keys from a legal owner who then proceeded to kill someone in the stolen GM car.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a better analogy.  You live in Gilmer???

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I traded into a xm15-e2s made in Maine. Works just fine for me. Only thing i don't like is the Non F marked FSB with removable carry handle sight. I had to buy the taller sight post.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Bushmaster hate is largely an AR15.com anomaly.

Everyone that I know, that actually has one, loves theirs.

Pretty much the same with all AR's. Most of them all use the same forgings, parts from the same lots, ect. The only real differences are in the barrels and bolt carrier groups. While the barrels bushy makes aren't the greatest, they will suffice for almost anyone and shoot just fine. Same with the bolts.  It's an AR, IF you ever do have an issue, just upgrade the broken part with something better anyways. The difference in price and attitude towards brand is mostly ceremonial........they are all pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I still have my first AR, a Bushmaster Patrolmans Carbine I bought as soon as the Clinton ban sunset. It has been a solid rifle and was a good choice for an uneducated, black rifle noob at the time. It's not my go to rifle these days and cant hold a candle to my nicer rifles, but I won't part with it either. Overall, I don't think they are a bad choice for average Joe Six-pack that wants a black rifle for the occasional range session. There are much better options for a "hard use" rifle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The windham/Maine bushmasters were no great shakes either. Would you buy a gun built by a guy who knew he was going to be fired before Christmas
View Quote

Your statement is slightly misleading.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I traded into a xm15-e2s made in Maine. Works just fine for me. Only thing i don't like is the Non F marked FSB with removable carry handle sight. I had to buy the taller sight post.
View Quote

I just had to raise the front sight post a few clicks on mine.  Moot point anyway, I put a red dot on it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How so?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your statement is slightly misleading.
How so?  

By a couple of the responses, it would appear that people are interpreting your statement to include the current Windham Weaponry company.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Extended use has shown this to not be the case. Sure if you shoot tin cans twice a year at your cabin they are all pretty much the same. If something breaks, what does it matter?  

Go ask about bushmaster on lightfighter....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much the same with all AR's. Most of them all use the same forgings, parts from the same lots, ect. The only real differences are in the barrels and bolt carrier groups. While the barrels bushy makes aren't the greatest, they will suffice for almost anyone and shoot just fine. Same with the bolts.  It's an AR, IF you ever do have an issue, just upgrade the broken part with something better anyways. The difference in price and attitude towards brand is mostly ceremonial........they are all pretty much the same.
Extended use has shown this to not be the case. Sure if you shoot tin cans twice a year at your cabin they are all pretty much the same. If something breaks, what does it matter?  

If you throw a top shelf bolt carrier group in it, it will run with anything made. Everything else is from the same parts bins besides the barrels. Unless you shoot 75gr ammo all the time, which most people don't, even those are just fine. For 99.9% of users....if you ever would break a bolt......you go home and order a new one. For that .1% on here that actually aren't just mall ninjas......by all means, start with a better bolt to begin with.

Anyone thinking they are getting 2000$ more quality out of a $2500 boutique rifle is full of shit. You can build your own rifles every bit as good, for half the cost.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If you throw a top shelf bolt carrier group in it, it will run with anything made. Everything else is from the same parts bins besides the barrels. Unless you shoot 75gr ammo all the time, which most people don't, even those are just fine. For 99.9% of users....if you ever would break a bolt......you go home and order a new one. For that .1% on here that actually aren't just mall ninjas......by all means, start with a better bolt to begin with.

Anyone thinking they are getting 2000$ more quality out of a $2500 boutique rifle is full of shit. You can build your own rifles every bit as good, for half the cost.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  But with that said....I don't care one way or another how someone wants to spend their money.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Agreed.  But with that said....I don't care one way or another how someone wants to spend their money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed! Whatever floats peoples boats, it's all good with me  I just hate to see people bash on any brand, especially to those new to AR's, without explaining WHY something is "junk".  In bushie's case, it's a fine rifle except for some easily, and cheaply, upgraded parts. Throw a BCM carrier group in the things and they are golden. I don't even own a Bushy besides some stripped lowers, so I don't even have a dog in the fight.

I still remember when sticking with ABC was all the rage.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Honestly there is nothing wrong with the Bushys I've shot. They work just fine.

Can you get better for the price? I believe so, but some mild assembly may be required.

For me, it's all about the barrel. The cheapest high quality barrels around come form FN through PSA. Voodoo melonited barrels like those found on the AA piston guns(another great value)  are also good barrels for the cost when you buy them bundled, imho. BCG would be my second concern, and I'm not sure but I assume that bushy would use a USGI contractor to make them so you get what you get most other places. Is this correct?

If you wait for deals and built yourself you can build good guns with parts from BCM or DD for a very low price nowadays. Buy cheap stripped lowers from PSA or Anderson to cut costs and put that money into the important parts of the gun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm sure this topic will be closed but to add my 2 cents I think Bushmaster is going to be renamed to something else. They are currently being sued by the families of the big shooting tragedy in 2012. I believe they'll probably just pay them out and just leave.

Overall though, Windham bushmasters are alright. They are indeed built to mil spec deminsion and as such you can replace whatever commercial parts with mil spec parts if you so desire. I have not had any issues swapping any parts out of my Windham Bushmaster and would recommend it to anyone. It was fine when it was all BM parts and I only upgraded it because I was tired of shooting it in the way in was.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
that bushy would use a USGI contractor to make them so you get what you get most other places. Is this correct?
View Quote

It was long time rumored that during the Desert Storm war, the government contracted Bushmaster to produce some M4s for them. Matter of fact, it was said that Bushmaster rifles were used to escorts the top general at the time when he was visiting. The guys in the plain cloth khaki and shirt. You probably seen the pics. The Bushmaster company has equipped some armies in this world with their rifles. It used to be you could call their custom shop and get a really nice mil spec built rifle that has 1:7 twist and all that good stuff in it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#40]
You can do a lot better for the same money... or less money even.

As soon as my PSA upper gets here, I will have a rifle with better specs than any Bushmaster at a total cost of around $450.  That is a 4150 chrome lined HP/MP tested barrel and C158 HPT/MPI marked bolt, to name the most important things... basically it will be as close to the mil specs as you can legally get without going Class III.  That is buying everything from PSA except the stock/buffer tube assembly, which I got from DSG.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I have purchased three Bushmaster AR15 rifles because people recommended them on this very site, consistently, before all the mall ninja mil-spec companies started jumping into the game.  I have one I have not shot, but I have looked it over several times during cleaning and inspection and I have not found a thing wrong with it.  The other two, I sold to people I know and they have put plenty of rounds through both without any problems at all.

Fact of the matter is, most ARs will work just fine for most people.  If you are happy with the price, get it.  If it needs repaired, the problems should creep up fairly early.  Let the manufacturer fix them, or replace the problem parts with parts of your choice to get the gun running the way you want.  That should be done with any gun you buy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#42]
My first AR that I bought in 06' was a Windham Bushmaster. A couple years after I bought it , it was traded for a PTR91. In the three years I had it it, it functioned fine.

Later in 2009 after coming home from deployment I bought another Windham Bushmaster, this time a A2 carbine with M4 barrel. It is very nice and again zero problems.
I also have a 20" A4 type Bushmaster upper. It is the top half of my favorite AR.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Honestly there is nothing wrong with the Bushys I've shot. They work just fine.

Can you get better for the price? I believe so, but some mild assembly may be required.

For me, it's all about the barrel. The cheapest high quality barrels around come form FN through PSA. Voodoo melonited barrels like those found on the AA piston guns(another great value)  are also good barrels for the cost when you buy them bundled, imho. BCG would be my second concern, and I'm not sure but I assume that bushy would use a USGI contractor to make them so you get what you get most other places. Is this correct?

If you wait for deals and built yourself you can build good guns with parts from BCM or DD for a very low price nowadays. Buy cheap stripped lowers from PSA or Anderson to cut costs and put that money into the important parts of the gun.
View Quote

The don't HPT/MPI their bolts to cut costs, last I have seen. So, I guess there is a very slim chance you might get a crappy one......and it had/has a lot of arfcommers panties in a bunch for a long time now. Also, some staking of the gas key used to be rather shoddy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've gotten out of spec springs in a lower parts kit from Bushmaster, also I believe their barrels have been an inferior steel for some time  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've gotten out of spec springs in a lower parts kit from Bushmaster, also I believe their barrels have been an inferior steel for some time  

Inferior I guess if you plan on running them full auto for prolonged periods. Most people don't try to melt their barrels, use them as prybars or impromptu steps though, so "inferior" is largely an exaggeration. Same people that say Bushy barrels are made of shit steel, are the same ones that will run a stainless match barrel that's even weaker steel but call it good to go.

Lightfighter cracks me up.....bunch of mall ninjas and basement dwelling  "special operators".  

Would I buy a Bushy barrel, probably not with all the great choices out there now..........but if someone finds a great deal on a complete rifle.....it shouldn't be a make it or break it deal.  Odds are, that if you have a NEED something more stout than what Bushy offers, you are getting your rifle issued to you, or you are already to the stage you are building your own rifles to your own specs with the best parts available.

Same springs from the same suppliers for almost everyone's LPK's. They could have turned up anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Double tap
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Go back in the archives - in 2002 when I bought my first AR, a Bushy 20" Heavy Barrel, Colt was being bashed because of their PC/chopped BCG, pin sizes, and Colt mfg rolling over for the Clintons, etc. Big Deal -

I quit counting how many cartridges that first Bushy has digested, and I bought a Patrolman Carbine too, which I set up with the EOTECH sight, and the fit & finish are flawless.

$600.00 on one of these would be a bargain IMO.

I've been reading about all the guys here building their own AR's, and that's probably my next project.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I hate to revive dead threads, but i just wanted to add my personal experiences on this. Im sure that BM has had some lemons make it out of the factory, as have pretty much all AR makers, including Colt. But, to say they are all bad is a bit ridiculous. Alot of the negative comments are made by people who have no personal experience with them. They may say something like "I have a cousin who's best friend has one, and they say they are junk.". While this forum has alot of valuable information, you sometimes have to take what you read for face value. As for me personally, i own one of the newer BM's. I have run over 2k rounds through it without any failures of any kind. Everything on it is properly torqued and staked, and it is a solid rifle. The only issue i have with it, is that the finish on it isnt quite as nice as the one on my older BM. Truth is, you will always hear more about the few bad ones out there, than you will about the many good ones.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:55:33 AM EDT
[#48]
I can pick up a Bushmaster XM15 ORC from Walmart for around $750 after rebate. What are ya'lls thoughts on that weapon at that price?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Too much. You can get a patrolman carbine for under $600. Keep shopping around.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top