Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2014 5:14:01 PM EDT
Well...just finished my first build and I must say I'm VERY pleased. The rifle balances well and feels "just right." Exactly what I wanted. Some may consider it a boring rifle or too much of a clone, but I think it fits my mission well. That said, I'm open to any comments.

Many thanks to ARFCOM for helping me navigate my first build. I read countless threads from the archives and posted a few new questions here and it was always exceptionally helpful.

Here's some info on the build for anyone interested.

Parts:

Upper: BCM M4 profile carbine 14.5" upper group w/ pinned A2X
Rail: KAC M4 RAS, covers, and VFG
BUIS: Matech
BCG: BCM (free w/ upper)
CH: Spikes
Lower: Spikes (spider)
LPK: Spikes standard
Buffer assembly: Spikes w/ T2 buffer
Stock: B5 SOPMOD
Grip: Magpul MIAD w/ medium backstrap
Optic: Aimpoint PRO

Contrary to popular wisdom, I did price everything out down to the penny. Thanks to users here who helped me discover the EE (had no idea it existed) I got most of my parts new/used which helped considerably with savings. That said, I probably paid a little more for some stuff just because. The Matech is an example....it came right off a new Colt SOCOM and I felt comfortable paying more than the $40 I was seeing elsewhere. Here's the breakdown (all EE prices "shipped"):

Pricing:

Upper group included BCG, pinned FH, no rail (from BCM) - $496.95 shipped
KAC rail set (EE) - $100
MIAD grip (EE) - $27
Spikes CH (EE) - $20
Matech BUIS (EE) - $50
B5 SOPMOD stock (EE) - $80
Lower - $110 total
LPK (Joe Bob) - $69.95
Buffer assy (Joe Bob) - $69.95
Aimpoint PRO (EE) - $315

Total: $1,338.85

I'm fairly pleased with that price given that I paid ~$300 less than, say, getting a Colt SOCOM + Aimpoint at retail.

Weights:
Some rough weights done quick and dirty on a postal scale:

Rifle w/ loaded 30rd mag: 9lbs 2oz
Rifle empty: 8lbs 2oz
Rifle without mag or optic: 7lbs even.

Seems about average for an M4 but I'm glad I didn't go with the SOCOM barrel, that's for sure.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I'm posting all this hoping it helps someone in the future. Now it's time to go shoot!

The family..

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Nicely done. Looks really clean. The only thing missing is a Geissele two-stage trigger.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You practically stole that Aimpoint and SOPMOD stock at those prices. Nicely done.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good I would hit it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you allowed to say "here's my family" when it's a husband and wife pic?

Nice build
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you allowed to say "here's my family" when it's a husband and wife pic?

Nice build
View Quote

LOL....I thought exactly that when posting it.

Don't worry. See that "extra" upper on the right? I think it wants to be a recon rifle. Jumped on the $1 CH deal from BCM. Sure is purdy.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
It's always a good day with the birth of another rifle or carbine.  Nicely done.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
What is EE ??

What is Spikes ??

Thanks !
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is EE ??

What is Spikes ??

Thanks !
View Quote

EE=Equipment Exchange (orange link in upper right hand corner). Market for new/used parts and accessories

Spikes=Spikes Tactical (well known manufacturer of ar15 components)
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]

M4 "clone types" always turn out great, and the weight sounds about right but once you add a light prepare for a 9.5-9.7 lb gun loaded with just a red dot.

The weight is the only negative about "M4s".

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

M4 "clone types" always turn out great, and the weight sounds about right but once you add a light prepare for a 9.5-9.7 lb gun loaded with just a red dot.

The weight is the only negative about "M4s".

View Quote

I'm on my second "Block II" SOPMOD clone right now.  After carrying those things around for a while, a standard M4 ain't so bad in the weight department.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I love block I's.  Nice
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Very nice.  Needs a 951 off the EE of course
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Guys, can you help me decode some of these terms in the original post in this thread:

What is BCM ?

What is KAC ?

What is BUIS ?

What is BCG ?

What is CH ?

What is LPK ?

What is B5 ?

Thanks very much for taking the time to get me up to speed !!!

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Guys, can you help me decode some of these terms in the original post in this thread:

What is BCM ?

What is KAC ?

What is BUIS ?

What is BCG ?

What is CH ?

What is LPK ?

What is B5 ?

View Quote

BCM = Bravo Company
BCG = Bolt Carrier Group
CH = Charging Handle
LPK= Lower Parts Kit
B5 = a stock company
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What is BCM ?

What is KAC ?

What is BUIS ?

What is BCG ?

What is CH ?

What is LPK ?

What is B5 ?

View Quote

Sure! I was in your shoes when starting out in this....

BCM = Bravo Company Manufacturing, a high quality AR manufacturer

KAC = Knights Armament Corp, a maker of AR rifles and components, arguably most notable for their US govt contracts providing rail systems for GI rifles.

BUIS = BackUp Iron Sights

BCG = bolt carrier group

CH = charging handle

LPK = lower parts kit

B5 = manufacturer of AR stocks

As far as what those things are (i.e. "bolt carrier group" or "lower parts kit"), a search of this site will help, or you'll pick it up by osmosis very fast.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
And in other news....I took the rifle to the range today and put about 150rds through it. All went well thought there were a couple issues; the buffer might be a bit much.

Range report coming...
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What is BCM ?

What is KAC ?

What is BUIS ?

What is BCG ?

What is CH ?

What is LPK ?

What is B5 ?

View Quote

BCM = Bravo Company Manufacturing.  They manufacture high quality URG's (Upper Receiver Groups)
KAC = Knight's Armament Company.  They are a military contractor that manufacture highly sought after rifle's and accessories for the AR platform.  They usually aren't cheap, but they are consistently considered among the best.
BUIS = Back Up Iron Sight.  Typically folding to allow usage with rail mounted optics, although some are fixed (such as LMT or Daniel Defense offerings).
BCG = Bolt Carrier Group.  Consists of the Bolt Carrier, Bolt, Firing Pin, Cam Pin, and Firing Pin Retaining Pin.
CH = Charging Handle
LPK = Lower Parts Kit.
B5 = B5 Systems.  They started out manufacturing a "clone" of the LMT SOPMOD buttstock, which is a staple of the "SOPMOD" program (Special Operations Peculiar Modifications).  They are a military contractor, as well as LMT, for this buttstock.  Since their start, they have started manufacture of their own "re-design" of the SOPMOD buttstock, titled the B5 Bravo, which slims the stock down by deleting the storage tubes of the original SOPMOD.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What is BCM ?

What is KAC ?

What is BUIS ?

What is BCG ?

What is CH ?

What is LPK ?

What is B5 ?

View Quote

This might help you in the future when it comes to the acronyms used here. I referenced it a ton when I first started reading up on this forum. You should also check out all the other FAQ threads posted above to get you up to speed.

ARFCOM Acronyms
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#19]
OP, that is a beautiful stick you got there
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. Really enjoying this rifle. I took it to the range yesterday and got several comments on it.

As mentioned above, the rifle got it's first 150rds through it yesterday so here's something of a "range report." There were a couple problems that I'll be looking to address, so if I don't get comments here I'll just post it by itself if that's ok.

First off, I just want to say that I'm very new to this (been shooting ARs for less than a year so far) so go easy. Pretty much still learning the fundamentals of trigger control and that sort of thing. Also, everything was shot off a bench, with the rifle resting on an ammo can with a t-shirt for protection. Don't know whether that's good or bad but my back starts hurting holding it offhand, plus I can't shoot worth a darn like that. Need to learn though....

A couple thoughts:

1. Wow, that barrel is nice. I shot only 62gr ZQI and Lake City M855 out of it and I can easily say the rifle is WAY better than I am. Even with the new, gritty trigger I was very surprised at the accuracy. Once it smooths out like my Anderson did, I'm sure this camper will be even happier.

2. I did have 5 failures to feed. One was a single incident and then two pairs, both of which happened directly after letting the rifle sit during a ~5min ceasefire. I don't know enough to tell you anything else, though if anyone has any questions I can try to answer them. My first thought was that my T2 buffer is too heavy. Since the upper was assembled by BCM I assume I can rule out the gas block not being lined up, and it happened with both Lancer and PMAGs, so those probably aren't the issue either. Any thoughts?

3. I didn't pay attention to where it was ejecting (never have), but did notice that the shell deflector was getting hammered. It seems to be chipping off the anodizing already. I don't really care about the cosmetics, but if it's indicative of a problem or is a potential for corrosion, I'd like to get it fixed now.

A couple pictures. I like a 50yd zero so that's where I did most of my shooting. The picture below is right after I finished zeroing the irons and put on the Aimpoint. First time with a red dot (which was really cool) and I shoot a 0.75" group (that's 1.5MOA right?). Then a 0.875", a 1.25" and an 1.5". You can see me walking the zero in. I can honestly say without any false humility that that is 100% the gun and not me. Very, very impressed. Also, I'm easily pleased.

Couldn't help but think, "If this is what the "GI" M4 barrel does, I can't wait to see what a couple thousand rounds of practice gets me out of my stainless upper!"

Anyway, enough yammering...

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Good shooting.  That just looks like brass on the deflector.  Take a good cleaner and it should come right off.  As for the failures,  I would just shoot it more, break it in and see if it continues
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#22]
My BCM upper bounces a few shells off the deflecter also. My buddies Daniel Defence 300 BLK OUT does the same thing. Never noticed this on my Colt. I've noticed it has not scared the deflector, the marks just wipe  right off when I clean it. No idea what the cause is.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Sweet rifles brah. No weaponlight? The markings on the deflector are just that, brass scrapings from deflecting off it. CLP and a toothbrush or rag takes it right off
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok I feel like an idiot. I'l take a rag to the deflector and see what happens. Thanks.

Quoted:
Sweet rifles brah. No weaponlight? The markings on the deflector are just that, brass scrapings from deflecting off it. CLP and a toothbrush or rag takes it right off
View Quote

Thanks. No weapon light yet. Don't really have any need for one at the moment and don't want the weight (or cash outlay) just now.

Plus, then I gotta start figuring out the whole weapon light world.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ok I feel like an idiot. I'l take a rag to the deflector and see what happens. Thanks.

Thanks. No weapon light yet. Don't really have any need for one at the moment and don't want the weight (or cash outlay) just now.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have almost the same exact rifle as you. Down to the upper/stock/rail everything. Even the same vert grip same rail covers setup in the same place lol. Only difference is I have an EOTech on it instead of an Aimpoint, I have a SOCOM profile barrel on it and a Surefire M951. I recommend you get that Surefire. You can find em for $50 on the EE thats where I got mine. It's the cheapest way to get into a high quality model. It's the older model Army issued Surefire.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#26]
That is perfect! Well, add a light and then it is perfect.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, we'll see. I just can't bring myself to do the light thing right now. Can't see any use for it and the M951 is just so HUGE. That time will come I'm sure...

Oh, and the brass "stain" on the deflector came off easily with a rag.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:47:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, we'll see. I just can't bring myself to do the light thing right now. Can't see any use for it and the M951 is just so HUGE. That time will come I'm sure...

View Quote

If you plan on using this rifle for home defense then I can't stress how important a weapon light is. If this is just a range toy then don't even worry about it. As for the brass markings, told ya
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Light & Lasers
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Light & Lasers

Very helpful link. Thanks.

If I decide to use this as an HD weapon I'll be sure to get a light for it. Right now it's just a range and training gun and stays locked up in the house.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#31]
What type of VFG is that?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Nicely done.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Knights Armament Company (KAC for short).  Same company that makes the drop in handguard.

Nice stick OP.  Surprised no one busted your chops about the 3 shot groups
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep, it's a KAC along with the rail and covers. I had to shave about 1/4" off the back of the VFG to get it and the covers to work together in the position I wanted them

Quoted:

Knights Armament Company (KAC for short).  Same company that makes the drop in handguard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Yeah, same here. They teach three-shot groups at Front Sight. That's the only formal training I've had and just never thought to change it.

What's the consensus these days....five?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd like to take the rifle out and get some "glamour shots" outdoors, but the work schedule hasn't been permitting that. I'll post here when/if it ever happens.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice build. If you are going to "paint" the safety selectors, you should probably paint the Spikes roll-marks on the lower. JMHO

Derek  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#37]
If I was building up my "beau ideal" of a carbine, it would probably not resemble that one in any way . . . but you know what?  That's a heck of a carbine.  Congratulations, dude. Enjoy it in good health.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks good. I built an early OIF clone with parts I had sitting in my parts bin and now it is one of my favorite rifles. Love the M4 look.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#39]
This looks sweet!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:19:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice Build
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Love it. Good job! My current build was begun with that outcome in mind, but like usual it morphs into something else...I rack disciprin
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What is BCM ?

What is KAC ?

What is BUIS ?

What is BCG ?

What is CH ?

What is LPK ?

What is B5 ?

View Quote

Study those, they are used a lot in the AR world.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Nice Stick!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Nice rifle. It's fine WITHOUT the light
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#45]
This makes me want to do one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks everyone. It is definitely a far better gun than I am a shooter. Nothing to complain about.

Put another 160rds through it at the range today. The failure to feed issues were gone but it failed to lock back on empty mags (Lancer and pmags) 6-7 times while running Wolf Gold. I did about 8 tests with all my mags using PMC Bronze to test it and only got one. I'll chalk it up to the gun not being broken in quite yet for now and look further if the problem persists. Maybe it doesn't like the Wolf Gold.

Otherwise it's a great gun. With the Aimpoint on it's finest dot and shooting off the bench I was able to get 1.5MOA three-shot groups again, though full mag groups were significantly larger....like...8MOA larger. Shooting offhand was...well...we won't go there. Let's just say I don't deserve this rifle.

Learning a lot. Detected a couple big problems with my shooting (anticipating shots, mostly) and had good success with calling my shots. Enjoying the experience for sure...

ETA: trying out the BCM Mod 1 grip and liking it. I feel like a complete BCM whore with all this BCM stuff, but it feels better for the modern "tucked in" style of shooting. I'll probably get the Mod 2 though...needs to be a bit deeper and wider for me to change permanently from the MAID....

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top