Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 1:38:33 PM EDT
I'm replacing my springs (buffer, extractor, ejector) with chrome silicon springs, but I'm not sure which ones to get.  Sprinco has many different power springs available for both buffer springs and extractor springs... can y'all help me decide which to get for my m&p?

My carbine ejects at about 2-2:30 o'clock, juuust ahead of the firing line.  No failures of any kind in almost 1k rounds of m855 and m193.

Should I get the white buffer spring, or a heavier one?  What about extractor spring tension?  

PS: I'm not expecting a performance boost or anything (aside from possibly correcting the ejection to 4 o'clock), but I was planning on buying spare springs anyways so I figured I'd just replace my springs with CS and keep the originals as spares.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is reliable, no need to mess with it.  It is all relative to the ammo you always use.

If you always full power ammo like you listed, I would go with a Sprinco Blue and an H2 because of the barrel length and gas system.  It is likely to smooth out your perceived recoil a bit.  Does that model have a FA BCG?

Caveat: if you ever switch to junk ammo like Tula steel, you may get FTF by stepping up to a heavier spring and buffer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it is reliable, no need to mess with it.  It is all relative to the ammo you always use.

If you always full power ammo like you listed, I would go with a Sprinco Blue and an H2 because of the barrel length and gas system.  It is likely to smooth out your perceived recoil a bit.  Does that model have a FA BCG?

Caveat: if you ever switch to junk ammo like Tula steel, you may get FTF by stepping up to a heavier spring and buffer.
View Quote

Myfeeling is that I should keep everything the same since it currently cycles fine with both 5.56 and .223 factory loads, but I'm not sure what the stock spring and buffer weights are.  I'm also not sure if the buffer tube is commercial or milspec, and whether that would affect spring choice.  How can I tell the difference?

Also, I'm unsure if the stock extractor spring is already extra power or "standard" strength.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
You have a milspec receiver extension, and it does not matter for the spring and buffer.

Does your rifle have a full auto BCG?  That was my question.  I don't think Smith uses semi auto, but I am not sure.  If you do not know, just post a picture of it.

If your buffer is unmarked, it is a standard carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You have a milspec receiver extension, and it does not matter for the spring and buffer.

Does your rifle have a full auto BCG?  That was my question.  I don't think Smith uses semi auto, but I am not sure.  If you do not know, just post a picture of it.

If your buffer is unmarked, it is a standard carbine buffer.
View Quote

I believe it's an AR15 BCG, but here's a pic:

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. 16" carbine-length gas systems are overgassed. Conventional wisdom is to use the heaviest spring & buffer that will cycle & lock back reliably w/the weakest ammo you regularly use. This will also reduce parts battering. I use the H2/Sprinco Blue in my 6920's and they function fine w/PMC .223 while in my BCM 16" midlength's I use an H2 w/Sprinco White (std strength).
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, with that SA weight carrier, I would go with the Blue and an H2 with good ammo
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Myfeeling is that I should keep everything the same since it currently cycles fine with both 5.56 and .223 factory loads, but I'm not sure what the stock spring and buffer weights are.  I'm also not sure if the buffer tube is commercial or milspec, and whether that would affect spring choice.  How can I tell the difference?

Also, I'm unsure if the stock extractor spring is already extra power or "standard" strength.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like Alaska said yourextension is mil spec diameter (all M&P's are) and both commercial extensions and mil spec extensions use the same buffer springs and buffer. The difference is on the outside of the extension. Commercial is a larger diameter and has a slope at the end of it, there is also a difference in how the lower receiver threads are machined on the extension. Buy any spring and buffer combo you want, just remember what he told you about spring strength/buffer weight to low powered ammo.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, with that SA weight carrier, I would go with the Blue and an H2 with good ammo
View Quote

When you say "with good ammo," does that mean the Blue/H2 combo might be too heavy to reliably cycle with some factory .223 rounds?  I don't want to be limited to shooting military spec 5.56.  

What about the different extractor spring strengths?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

When you say "with good ammo," does that mean the Blue/H2 combo might be too heavy to reliably cycle with some factory .223 rounds?  I don't want to be limited to shooting military spec 5.56.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just mean weak stuff like Tula and Herters.  With heavier springs and buffers, you may not pick up the next round.

I am not sure what the concern is over the extractor.  Are you having issues?  If not, leave it alone.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just mean weak stuff like Tula and Herters.  With heavier springs and buffers, you may not pick up the next round.

I am not sure what the concern is over the extractor.  Are you having issues?  If not, leave it alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No issues, I just want to replace the extractor spring with a CS spring for its extended service life (i was going to just get a spare, but figured I'd replace it with a CS spring and use the original as the spare).  I'm just not sure which of the Sprinco extractor springs is equivalent to my stock spring.  I want to get the same tension as the stock spring but I don't know if the m&p has an "extra power" extractor spring in it.  It does have an o-ring in it stock.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're feeling adventurous and don't mind spending a little more money, I'd try an H3 with Sprinco red.  My only rifle, a BCM middy, will eat anything with a H2 and Sprinco blue, and since you have a shorter gas system...
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#12]
The only time I have ever had reliability issues with AR15 rifles of any kind was when I started messing with buffers and springs. The mil-spec spring and CAR buffer has always ran like a swiss watch for me. My advise is to just get regular old springs and buffers from a reputable source like BCM.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The only time I have ever had reliability issues with AR15 rifles of any kind was when I started messing with buffers and springs. The mil-spec spring and CAR buffer has always ran like a swiss watch for me. My advise is to just get regular old springs and buffers from a reputable source like BCM.
View Quote

I do want to get springs that all have  the same tension as my stock springs, but I want CS versions  so they last longer.  I just don't know if the stock extractor and ejector springs are "standard" or extra power springs, so I don't know which CS springs to get.  Maybe a call to S&W is in order, although the customer service reps still tell people the M&P15 Sport comes with a 5R barrel, so they might not be a reliable source of information
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't touch the springs imo. My sport has 9,500 rounds, almost all tulammo, haven't changed a thing internaly, I'm still on the original springs and only clean it every 1,000 rounds, mine ejects about 3 o'clock consistently. No ftf, fte, etc. Why mess with what works perfectly?

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:38:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't touch the springs imo. My sport has 9,500 rounds, almost all tulammo, haven't changed a thing internaly, I'm still on the original springs and only clean it every 1,000 rounds, mine ejects about 3 o'clock consistently. No ftf, fte, etc. Why mess with what works perfectly?

View Quote

I completely agree about not messing with the reliable setup I currently have, which is why I want to get springs with the same strength/tension as the stock ones.    I already wanted to have some spares and figured I might as well get the CS springs since they last longer,  and once I have them I might as well install those and keep the regular ones as spares instead.  I plan on shooting the hell out of this thing (1000rds a month or so) so I want to prepare it to last a long time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:04:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sweet!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top