Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 10:26:23 AM EDT
I just timed the brake using 3 shims to 0.045 and was wondering if 3 shims was too many?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#1]
If you timed it, how could it be too many?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Theoretically you can use all of them. That being said, it helps to use the least amount by mixing and matching the sizes.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I am assuming your barrel is threaded 1/2-28 and with 28 threads per inch that means each thread is .035" long. If your brake clocked at 355deg out in theory the maximum shim should be <.035
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am assuming your barrel is threaded 1/2-28 and with 28 threads per inch that means each thread is .035" long. If your brake clocked at 355deg out in theory the maximum shim should be <.035
View Quote

Thank you. I will remove a shim and torque it harder.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with your current set up.  If timed leave it alone.  The instructions say torque within such and such range, and use the shims required.  If there was a limit, it would say so.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with your current set up.  If timed leave it alone.  The instructions say torque within such and such range, and use the shims required.  If there was a limit, it would say so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had it timed with 2 shims at probably 0.035 but thought it might have been over torqued so I added the 0.008 shim.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Like others have said, 3 shims will work but I'd be willing to bet it it could be done with less.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top