Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 10:17:45 AM EDT
Hello guys, I am trying to finish a light weight AR upper and need a little advice. The goal is short, light, low recoil, reliable, and still as accurate as possible. I have a rock river lower with the Vltor 6 position A5 buffer system installed. I want a light weight profile mid gas14.5" barrel and will permanently attach something to make it legal (probably a smith vortex or a combo flash/comp of some sort). My questions are:
1. what barrel would you recommend? (prefer black and chrome lined but not a deal breaker)
2. Should I install an Adams Arms piston kit on it (I already have an AA piston upper that I could dismantle).
3. Would there be any problems with this combo: 14.5 mid barrel, piston, A5 buffer?
4. What comp/brake would you install?
5. Would you use a treated BCG? (I have a chrome lined RRA group already).

I will not be running suppressed (or full auto for that matter).

Thanks for any help that you can provide and Happy Thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want light weight, then why consider a piston kit for the upper? Even one as nice as the AA is still heavier than a standard gas impingement system, so I'd scratch it off the list. My 14.5" barrels aren't exactly lightweight, but they fulfill my needs, a BCM SOCOM upper and a PSA upper w/ a Bushmaster 1/9 twist M4 tube. If I was going to build a really light rifle, I'd either find a chrome lined 'pencil' barrel or send an M4-profile barrel to ADCO and have them turn it down to your desired profile.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]
My lightweight rig has a Bravo cold hammer forged light profile that is .625 dia at the gas block. This One I think they have an even lighter one now. I mounted it to an aero precision upper without FA and a Noveske 13.5 NSR Rail.
I pinned on Bravo's extended A2 flashider. It is very light and quick to maneuver. Accurate too!
chris
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at the VooDoo innovation barrels just about everything you're wanting.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a look at the VooDoo innovation barrels just about everything you're wanting.
View Quote

this, I just finished a 14.5 with Diamondhead brake pinned to Voodoo Innovations pencil 5.56 barrel
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The goal is short, light, low recoil, reliable, and still as accurate as possible. I have a rock river lower with the Vltor 6 position A5 buffer system installed.
1. what barrel would you recommend? (prefer black and chrome lined but not a deal breaker)
2. Should I install an Adams Arms piston kit on it (I already have an AA piston upper that I could dismantle).
3. Would there be any problems with this combo: 14.5 mid barrel, piston, A5 buffer?
View Quote

You want what most want, you only forgot to mention FREE

1. Look at the Spikes CHF Optimum, the Daniel Defense CHF LW, and the BCM LW.  I have and like them all
2. Hell no.  Why would you want this?  You said you wanted light
3. Mid is all you need.  Piston is unnecessary
4. I would not install a brake.  AAC Blackout is what you seek for permanent install
5. NiB BCG is fine, but not needed, get a branded BCG from the 3 choices I mentioned above.  Nearly all BCGs are "chrome lined" like you mention.  The chrome RRA is likely a semi auto BCG

Happy Turkey Day.  Gobble, Gobble bitches!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
This one includes a pinned low profile gas block.

http://ballisticadvantagellc.com/?product=5-56-14-5-hanson-midlength-1
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1. Look at the Spikes CHF Optimum, the Daniel Defense CHF LW, and the BCM LW.  I have and like them all
4. I would not install a brake.  AAC Blackout is what you seek for permanent install
5. NiB BCG is fine, but not needed, get a branded BCG from the 3 choices I mentioned above.  Nearly all BCGs are "chrome lined" like you mention.  The chrome RRA is likely a semi auto BCG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The goal is short, light, low recoil, reliable, and still as accurate as possible. I have a rock river lower with the Vltor 6 position A5 buffer system installed.

have all 3 and would rate the spikes the best and bcm the worst.

spikes is most accurate with bcm being the worst of the 3

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Rutger I agree.  My Spikes is equal to my DD in accuracy, but to be fair, my Spikes sample is the 11.5 version.  Love that upper.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the govt profile of this barrel.  It groups tight.  I love it.  On my phone sorry it's not hot.
http://www.riflegear.com/p-3434-fn-145-lightweight-midlength-17-twist-chf-barrel-556.aspx
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rutger I agree.  My Spikes is equal to my DD in accuracy, but to be fair, my Spikes sample is the 11.5 version.  Love that upper.
View Quote

DD is great but that lw spikes barrel really is good.  I remember seeing the owner of spikes chime in and say it's his favorite offering.  It's an accurate barrel made very very well.  DD is DD, nuff said while BCM is made like Colt or whatever the saying goes.  The problem is, they shoot like Colts too
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have the govt profile of this barrel.  It groups tight.  I love it.  On my phone sorry it's not hot. http://www.riflegear.com/p-3434-fn-145-lightweight-midlength-17-twist-chf-barrel-556.aspx
View Quote

nice....very nice
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
nice....very nice
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the govt profile of this barrel.  It groups tight.  I love it.  On my phone sorry it's not hot. http://www.riflegear.com/p-3434-fn-145-lightweight-midlength-17-twist-chf-barrel-556.aspx

nice....very nice
I also have one of the spikes optimum midlength 14.5" sold from brownells.  I have not shot it as much for groups but appears to be identical in quality, as it should be.  FN makes the blank.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
OK Thanks guys! Looks like I will go with the Spikes based on recommendation and price. I will be skipping the piston on this one as well. Happy Thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#15]
excellent decision, both ways.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top