Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 10:52:18 AM EDT
Anyone tried one out?

http://ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Does the front sight post have a built in QD sling attachment?  The grip looks pretty nice.        

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdoLE9Dgvjc

yep
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Where are you seeing it under $600?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw them last weekend at a gunshow for $599.00  $750.00 is retail - their competing  with the smith wesson sport
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.impactguns.com/ruger-ar-556-rifle-556-nato-m4-flat-top-16in-barrel-736676085002.aspx
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's a great price. I don't own one but read about it a few weeks ago and believe it has a CHF barrel and everything is "mil spec" except the bolt....I believe, I think it did not have a C158 bolt....but it seems like a deal, I'd pay $600 for it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Would be a deal, but the unlined and untreated barrel kills it.

What makes it any better than the old base DPMS or Olympic plinker rifles that had unlined barrels?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What makes it any better than the old base DPMS or Olympic plinker rifles that had unlined barrels?
View Quote

I remember looking at those rifles back in the day, and they were usually about $700.  I saw some guys say they were getting the Ruger for $575 out the door at their local dealer.  The base price seems to have settled at $600 for now, but I bet they come down to about $525 to $550 plus tax or so, once the newness wears off.  Seeing how the basic barrel does not matter, much less for the entry level market this gun is aiming for, I think it is a pretty good deal.  Lord knows I don't need anymore ARs, but I won't hesitate to pick one up when the funds are clear.  Just because.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Nothing wrong with an unlined barrel. All things being equal a little service life is sacrificed for better accuracy. A good barrel is a good barrel.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Those that haven't looked at these lately or have a poor memory...

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I remember looking at those rifles back in the day, and they were usually about $700.  I saw some guys say they were getting the Ruger for $575 out the door at their local dealer.  The base price seems to have settled at $600 for now, but I bet they come down to about $525 to $550 plus tax or so, once the newness wears off.  Seeing how the basic barrel does not matter, much less for the entry level market this gun is aiming for, I think it is a pretty good deal.  Lord knows I don't need anymore ARs, but I won't hesitate to pick one up when the funds are clear.  Just because.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MADE IN  NORTH CAROLINA  Your State
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that is one of the reasons I would buy one.  I sold one of my Ruger American Rimfires to buy another one that was made here.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a pretty good looking rifle. It's biting at the heels of the M&P 15 Sport. With the Ruger you get the FA and dust cover, with the M&P you get the melonite barrel.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is a pretty good looking rifle. It's biting at the heels of the M&P 15 Sport. With the Ruger you get the FA and dust cover, with the M&P you get the melonite barrel.
View Quote

A buddy of mine bought a S-W SPORT  when they first came out and has not had a problem with it. I getting to the point it's cheaper to buy one than build a rifle - just about.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who cares about unlined barrels at that price many people don't even use the benefit of chrome lined
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Who cares about unlined barrels at that price many people don't even use the benefit of chrome lined
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simply this.  Why would I spend more money on an a rifle with an unlined barrel when I can spend less on the sport and get a melonite treated barrel?

Quoted:
Quoted:

What you're forgetting is that the AR market at the time was much different than it is now.  AR prices have dropped drastically since, but at the time, $650 - $700 was dirt cheap for an off the shelf AR.  Much lower than any of the other offerings out there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Simply this.  Why would I spend more money on an a rifle with an unlined barrel when I can spend less on the sport and get a melonite treated barrel?

What you're forgetting is that the AR market at the time was much different than it is now.  AR prices have dropped drastically since, but at the time, $650 - $700 was dirt cheap for an off the shelf AR.  Much lower than any of the other offerings out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not forgetting anything.  The Ruger is a good rifle at a good price point.  If you want a rifle with some kind of lining or coating, go get it.  On the Sport, you are paying about the same price and getting the melonite barrel but the slick upper.  So you are still giving something up.  A lot of companies, have, and continue to sell non-chromed barrels successfully.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to argue but, $600 is still a cheap price on a complete rifle. Sure if you shopped around you could get a chrome lined barrel for that price, but please show me a complete rifle of equal or greater quality for much less than $600 when finished. I am not being sarcastic, I'd like to know where to buy them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I have one of their piston rifles and like it. This one doesn't do anything for me. Better options in my opinion. Will it work? Sure. I guess if someone is desperate to save a very small amount of money and own some AR weirdness, it will send projectiles down range. A lot of people that don't care will snatch them up I'm sure.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I am not sure, but that looks like a great rifle for the price.  Where does it say that they are not lined?  

I have some guns that I built, and used top end stuff for them.  But I also have a Delton Sport, with a lightweight unlined barrel, and have used it in carbine classes, and it shoots lights out.  It eats wolf like candy, and will shoot near MOA, with good stuff.  Best 6 fazolies I spent in a while.  

Cheap guns that are good, appeal to me.  I guess you can buy more of them, and not care about beating them like a rented mule if need be.  

Happy Thanksgiving guys.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#22]

As I stated before.  These two rifles are in different places of their introduction phase.  The Sport is normally $595 to $650.  It is on special for $529, maybe because of down turn in sales, maybe to keep people buying them instead of the Ruger.  Nobody is going to sell the Ruger for that low because it is a new rifle and the dealers can't keep them on the shelf.  But once things settle down, I bet it goes that low as well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I am buying one because is looks like a decent rifle at a good price and it is MADE IN NORTH CAROLINA!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#24]

GREAT PRICE HARD TO BUILD ONE  FOR THAT PRICE!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am not sure, but that looks like a great rifle for the price.  Where does it say that they are not lined?  

I have some guns that I built, and used top end stuff for them.  But I also have a Delton Sport, with a lightweight unlined barrel, and have used it in carbine classes, and it shoots lights out.  It eats wolf like candy, and will shoot near MOA, with good stuff.  Best 6 fazolies I spent in a while.  

Cheap guns that are good, appeal to me.  I guess you can buy more of them, and not care about beating them like a rented mule if need be.  

Happy Thanksgiving guys.
View Quote

A DEALER WAS SELLING THEM FOR $499.00 LAST WEEKENDS GUN SHOW HAD A LOT OF THEM . DEL-TON.COM

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I believe a lot of little  manufacturers  are going to go out of business . When you can buy larger man. name guns  for the same price , people will generally go with the big names.  colt ruger smith-wesson  Mossberg  Remington sig sauer  ect   --  the expensive ars aren't selling well at all hk , Wilson ect  - these high end target grade ar man. are hurting
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that but unlined barrels are often more accurate and let's be real here, no one is abusing them to the degree that they will not be fine.  Unlined may not last as long, require a smidge more care but are more accurate, cheaper and are just fine.  

I'm pretty sure all those unlined barrels used in heavy machine guns, Garands, Mausers etc prior to Vietnam didn't have any issues not being melonited or chromed.

of note, I own melonite, chrome and unlined ARs so I'm not biased
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Treated chambers also increase reliability and aid in extraction (reason non chrome lined AR barrels were mandated to have chrome lined chambers and then full bores in Vietnam.

Melonited barrels are not any less accurate than non treated chrome moly barrels.

Even the "accuracy difference" between a chrome lined and unlined barrel is so miniscule that it's comical to even bring up.  99.99% of shooters could never notice the accuracy difference between the two, especially with the ammo types that most people shoot.

And by the same token where you decide that the people buying those guns don't "need" the benifets of a treated bore, I also  doubt people who are buying bottom price teir ARs are worried about competition grade accuracy either.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Treated chambers also increase reliability and aid in extraction (reason non chrome lined AR barrels were mandated to have chrome lined chambers and then full bores in Vietnam.

Melonited barrels are not any less accurate than non treated chrome moly barrels.

Even the "accuracy difference" between a chrome lined and unlined barrel is so miniscule that it's comical to even bring up.  99.99% of shooters could never notice the accuracy difference between the two, especially with the ammo types that most people shoot.

And by the same token where you decide that the people buying those guns don't "need" the benifets of a treated bore, I also  doubt people who are buying bottom price teir ARs are worried about competition grade accuracy either.
View Quote

Metallurgy and manufacturing methods have improved since the Vietnam era.  There are a lot of non-chrome lined barrels on the market that work just fine.  Even with crappy ammo.  So what reliability, exactly, are they increasing?  Something is either reliable or it isn't.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

stop...just stop....

I understand all of this however, if it weren't for the powder change we'd never of heard of lining the chambers so it's not universal.  Not all of the powders leave the gum or have the swell pressure in humid environments.  Modern extractor enhancements negate this benefit as lmt, pof, lwrc, and others have shown or are now showing.  within 5yrs every new AR will have this new feature and already being reviewed for mil inclusion in spec determinants

As for the accuracy, it's not miniscule at all and we've got documented case samples.  I do agree most will not see any measurable difference however due to the shooters themselves and not the barrels.  You simply cannot get a uniform lining treatment without cost.  There are only 2 production rifles with known accuracy having lined barrels and both are .308 variants.  No 5.56 line barrel (production) is 'known' for accuracy.  When I say accuracy I say sub moa and not the 3-4 mil standard.  

To each their own but this internet bs is so out of hand today with unlined vs lined it's retarded.  It's not long before some idiot says 'wouldn't trust my life to unlined'.....  Not sure if you ever saw that thread...lol...it was a dooooooozy

Like I said, I have em all and in my stable, I have an unlined $99 barrel that ....wait for it.....is as accurate as my noveske (exception the rule I agree however)...shit you not

anyway, you and everyone else have a great holiday today and God Bless
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#31]
The Ruger has a couple neat features. Like the threaded Delta ring concept.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#32]

In my opinion it is not the same.....it is a slick side upper. To some that is not a big deal, to others it may be a bonus. For me It is of less value. I prefer to have a dust cover and forward assist......so to me It is not the same rifle. Still a good price and a good value....just like the Ruger, but not the same gun for less. And even if it was, I don't think that one rifle for 15% less is enough to say the Ruger is over priced. Either way, it is good for all of us that we currently have so many options at such great prices.....just wish I had deeper pockets to take advantage of all these great deals.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Geez, I feel like I've fk'd up all these years of building prairie doggin rifles with unlined barrels, both bolt guns and AR's. Over the last 10 years I've seen literally thousands of p-dogs killed with AR's and boltguns that were unlined, often in shooting sprees that got barrels too hot to touch fo rany length of time. They really did not loose accuracy in a heartbeat. Never came home rusted. Never missed a beat except when a bad reload showed up every now and then. (usually a poorly resized case).  Would I want to take an unlined barrel to a tropical jungle under combat conditions where it might not get a cleaning as often as it should?  Probably not. Is that scenerio likely to happen here in North America? Probably not.   How many bolt action rifles are sold with chromed barrels? Not many. Do I fret over all the bolt guns in my safe that are unlined?  Do You?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#34]
The Rugger warranty is worth a whole lot.  Ruger will be around when others close up shop.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I would buy the Sport over the Ruger for the standard parts (FSB, delta ring) and melonite barrel. I have never needed a forward assist and for my uses a dust cover is not really necessary.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

A DEALER WAS SELLING THEM FOR $499.00 LAST WEEKENDS GUN SHOW HAD A LOT OF THEM . DEL-TON.COM

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy Thanksgiving guys.

Why are you yelling? Turn off the caps lock.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Solution to a non existent problem.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:53:36 AM EDT
[#38]
You see it as "Solution to a non existent problem", as others may also. It may or may not be just a gimmick.  From my perspective, its thinking outside the standard box.

Here is a what if...

there is a free float forearm in the works. That can use same barrel nut. Now Ruger only needs a single barrel nut, does not need a spring, nor the required snap ring.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:08:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is about 90% of all the mall ninja shit people that hang out on here buy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:10:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would buy the Sport over the Ruger for the standard parts (FSB, delta ring) and melonite barrel. I have never needed a forward assist and for my uses a dust cover is not really necessary.
View Quote

It's funny how many people say the same thing, then they spend more money swapping uppers to a standard one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's funny how many people say the same thing, then they spend more money swapping uppers to a standard one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, some do, some don't.  I bought my Sport knowing exactly what I would be getting.  I added optics and called it a day.  Buy the one you like.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top