Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2014 12:59:32 AM EDT
Help me decide.
I have a spare lower. Thinking I may pick up parts on Black Friday.
I had been eyeing the 7.5" 7.62x39 upper from Radical Firearms. (quad rail/sightless upper, but I've got a spare MaTech). It of course would be finished with a sig brace. So sige brace and buffer would cost $170~

Then I saw that Radical has a 16" upper (same as 7.5 specs but 16") for the same price. I saw a 4 position old school car stock locally for $30. (saves my $140 over sig brace, but money is not really an issue, though it probably should be)

My other option is I really like dissipators and M1S has a 7.62x39 Dissy upper or kit that can be had in A2 configuration.

Can't decide. Short guns are so cool and exotic, but is it worth hassling with the sig brace and legallities like adding a VFGs to save 9"?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Another $75 gets you a SBR. I don't know how people justify sig brace purchases

ETA: 9" is pretty significant

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I can have it in my vehicle with a loaded mag and I don't have to tell the government when I take it out of state?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:24:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I can have it in my vehicle with a loaded mag and I don't have to tell the government when I take it out of state?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand how playing by every rule is important to some people.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBRs are PIA, while they might be nice to some people I frequently travel across state lines for work, pistol can be in the trunk or the front seat loaded for that matter, and I don't have to call ahead and ask permission to bring it along.

I vote pistol.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:51:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should be very important to every firearm owner, especially those that carry concealed or have tax stamps. If you're not worried about the rules, why get a tax stamps at all? Sometimes people with the highest post counts say the stupidest shit, usually after someone explains something their narrow mind cannot see.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:01:35 AM EDT
[#6]
If you don't plan to tavel out of state then I'd go SBR.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:24:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It should be very important to every firearm owner, especially those that carry concealed or have tax stamps. If you're not worried about the rules, why get a tax stamps at all? Sometimes people with the highest post counts say the stupidest shit, usually after someone explains something their narrow mind cannot see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Civilian or JBT, blindly following what your masters say is foolish. As an adult, you need to decide what is important to you and if and when there is a "line in the sand".
I won't judge you for attempting to follow the letter of every firearms law ever.
That being said, a form once a year, or whatever, and you can take your SBR where your heart desires.
I don't buy into the notion that one would not have the time to hank the charging handle in the event of an emergency.

SBR is my vote. Ymmv

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
SBR the fuckin thing and be done. And there a reason the radical firearms is cheap... it's built with cheap parts!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I can throw it in a large backpack loaded when I go out hiking with my CHL.

I vote pistol, OP.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I carry a 16" carbine at work. I have a 11.5" pistol at home. 16" is hard to handle in a vehicle. When SHTF Fegudishu style, my pistol will be in my POV.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
SBR the fuckin thing and be done. And there a reason the radical firearms is cheap... it's built with cheap parts!
View Quote

Where are the cheap parts?

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#12]
My question is, why 7.62x39? Why not just do a .300BLK? Is it because of the price of 7.62x39 steel ammo is cheaper than 5.56 and .300BLK? Have you considered the availability of magazines for a 7.62x39 AR? There is something to be said for the 5.56 and .300BLK platforms in that they use the same magazines. Also, have you considered building a 14.5" 5.56 carbine with a pinned and welded muzzle device? Personally, this is the route I would take. It is much more versatile. If you are intent on building a pistol, I would recommend to go with the 5.56 or .300BLK and forget the 7.62x39 option.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:39:49 AM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt105/joeh177/Screenshot_2014-11-24-09-41-48-1_zpsvu3hrkit.png

I don't see cheap parts on that, and will go one further... I believe (without any proof/evidence) that these ARE Dsg's new "custom build" specials (BF deals) they just had posted. Check the specs, and pics.... identical. I don't want to call them out on it... without proof... but..
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My question is, why 7.62x39? Why not just do a .300BLK? Is it because of the price of 7.62x39 steel ammo is cheaper than 5.56 and .300BLK? Have you considered the availability of magazines for a 7.62x39 AR? There is something to be said for the 5.56 and .300BLK platforms in that they use the same magazines. Also, have you considered building a 14.5" 5.56 carbine with a pinned and welded muzzle device? Personally, this is the route I would take. It is much more versatile. If you are intent on building a pistol, I would recommend to go with the 5.56 or .300BLK and forget the 7.62x39 option.
View Quote

300 is about $16 a box, 7.62 is about $6. In 2 boxes I can buy 1 7.62 mag.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

No brace
No SBR
No worries
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7.62x39 is a pain in the ass in an AR.....if you want cheap, stick with 5.56
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I prefer SBR. Out of state forms are easy.

Be ready for the ATF to change their mind any time about the Sig brace.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My sentiment as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#19]
i'de say pistol.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why doesn't anyone ever count the stock you need to buy as well
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt105/joeh177/Screenshot_2014-11-24-09-41-48-1_zpsvu3hrkit.png

Just ordered one of these.  With coupon code "SLICKGUNS" It's only $269.95 before shipping (mine came out to $284.95 after shipping).
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Start with the pistol, you can always convert it to a carbine later on. You cannot go the other way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just ordered one of these.  With coupon code "SLICKGUNS" It's only $269.95 before shipping (mine came out to $284.95 after shipping).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I knew about that coupon code before I ordered.  Oh well I'm still happy and I feel it was a good deal at $299
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#24]
The Sig brace (sb15) is actually really nice. Don't be scared of it. I though the people claiming the Sig brace was actually more comfortable than a stock were full of crap, untill I tried one for a few weeks. Adjustable length of pull is nice but not a requirement for me. Also the ability to wrap up a sling and store it in the brace is a nice feature that a stock doesn't have.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Not trying to high jack the thread, but where is the cheapest place to buy the sig brace at the moment?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not trying to high jack the thread, but where is the cheapest place to buy the sig brace at the moment?  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Cheapest place I found was Primary Arms or Joe Bob Outfitters.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Sig brace (sb15) is actually really nice. Don't be scared of it. I though the people claiming the Sig brace was actually more comfortable than a stock were full of crap, untill I tried one for a few weeks. Adjustable length of pull is nice but not a requirement for me. Also the ability to wrap up a sling and store it in the brace is a nice feature that a stock doesn't have.
View Quote

Man, I tried that thing, and IMO it in no way compares to a B5 or IMod.  LOP aside, it is just not a rifle stock.  I get all the pluses that it offers guys that cannot SBR in their state, but claiming that it is just as good as a rifle stock is just not true, IMO, especially "more comfortable"

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Its not as good as a stock obviously but I feel its just as comfortable, more comfortable is a bit of a stretch. Ill put it this way. I live in a sbr state and I always wanted an sbr. After building a pistol with the sig brace I no longer need an sbr. I still want one and ill get one eventually. For me, the sb15 fills that roll nicely enough.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#29]
My vote is pistol. I can't get mine away from my son!

Not sure why my pics are no working I used the img tags, sorry.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I vote pistol too. You can carry it concealed in states with a CHL instead of a CCW, you don't have to ask the man for permission to have it, and neither do you have to ask him to transport it across state lines. Think about it....why on earth should I have to ask them if I can have this gun or where I can take it? It's none of their business. Simple answer is: "We let them."

Someone said they didn't understand how people justify the Sig brace. I'm the other way around...I don't know how people justify an SBR. An SBR is a compromise that perpetuates the system.

I suspect I'll get banned for saying this, but whatever...
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:29:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I vote pistol too. You can carry it concealed in states with a CHL instead of a CCW, you don't have to ask the man for permission to have it, and neither do you have to ask him to transport it across state lines. Think about it....why on earth should I have to ask them if I can have this gun or where I can take it? It's none of their business. Simple answer is: "We let them."

Someone said they didn't understand how people justify the Sig brace. I'm the other way around...I don't know how people justify an SBR. An SBR is a compromise that perpetuates the system.

I suspect I'll get banned for saying this, but whatever...
View Quote

I don't know why anybody would justify any purchase they made.  I certainly see no need to justify my SBRs.

If I were going to cross a state line, simple answer is: "I would take one of my 14,5s"

It's the law.  I did not write it.  I am perfectly fine abiding by it, and taking a rifle that was legal to do so.

If I could have only one rifle, which somewhat fits the above post's restrictions, it woud be a 14.5 with a pinned flash hider.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top