Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2014 12:48:10 PM EDT
I am new to the AR community and was wondering if I should build or buy my first AR?  I am wanting a tank not a Ferrari.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Build, you get exactly what you want from the get go
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am new to the AR community and was wondering if I should build or buy my first AR?  I am wanting a tank not a Ferrari.
View Quote

Build to create a very specific AR how you want it.

Buy if you aren't that picky about specs & just want a certain brand with the basics included to get you started.

Be sure to check out the AR Basics forum abive this one for more info that is helpful to new AR owners. Welcome to the site & to the AR community.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I would buy my first, get to learn the operation ect well, and then build after that.  They aren't overly complex to build but if you want a "tank" like you said, I would let someone who is more familiar with the AR build one for you this time.  The last thing you want is to have something not working correctly and have to go through a troubleshooting procedure when you have no experience with what you are trying to troubleshoot.

ETA:  I see no reason not to go to BCM and get an upper that you like + lower and slap the two together (which is not building despite some claims i have seen haha).  The only reason I built my last AR is because the rail I wanted on my upper wasn't in stock on the factory assembled uppers from BCM so I just got the parts and did it myself.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy. Unless you have the guidance of someone who knows what theyre doing. Learn how to shoot the platform and its general operation before building.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd pick the upper I wanted from Bravo Company. They're running a deal where you get a free bolt carrier group, and recently added a charging handle for another $1. If you get a 16" upper you get a free compensator too.

Bravo is top-notch and the free bcg deal is tough to beat.

Mount on a lower receiver and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Build.

With a little guidance and study you can select the critical parts and then have a better product for the same cost or possibly less.

If you don't have a bench vise and torque wrench I would go ahead and lean you towards a Bravocompanyusa complete upper.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info, I will build.  Can you direct me in the right direction on parts to look at and parts to avoid.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/603477_THE_IN_STOCK_LOWER_RECEIVER_THREAD_Part_2.html&page=371#i6573186

Single piece CavArms style lower/stock for $100 w/ LPK installed.  Add $100 bolt carrier group, & $200 PSA upper, and you're in business.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]
You have got to consider your own personal skill level.  Plus , do you have the tools needed to go the job correctly ?  do you even have a place to set up a work area.?

Gotta think about such things.  Do you have anyone who could help you if you get stuck on something ?

Another thought is , how soon do you want to be up and running ?   If very soon then buy .

I bought first.   Then built.  It worked for me.  But whatever floats your boat.

I will admit that putting a rifle together was very satisfying . Actually finishing what was started is the most satisfying. .  It's mine.  There are others similar, but this one is mine.   Selected every damn part and put it together piece by piece.

And when I hit a snag I got help from someone knowing more than I.

gd
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, I will build.  Can you direct me in the right direction on parts to look at and parts to avoid.
View Quote

Basically buy a mil spec buffer tube assembly from BCM.
Add magpul CTR stock or maybe a B5 SOPMOD.
Palmetto state armory trigger-less lower kit and then buy an ALG defense trigger with it.
Pistol grips are up to you, might as well do magpul MOE.

A stripped lower for 50-100 dollars.
A complete BCM upper and some flip up sights and you're set.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I would buy a LMT SOPMOD lower with the match trigger and attach a pre-built upper of your choosing. It will be cheaper than buying it outright and you'll get exactly what you want. The LMT lower assembly is usually in stock at Rainer Arms for around $550.00. Buy a premium upper with a quality barrel and free float tube.

You will have well over $100 to $150 for tools to build it yourself unless you already own a torque wrench. You'll need a large vise and float tube and barrel nut specific wrenches. I have built dozens of rifles, but would not recommend a new person doing it on their very first AR-15.  

You could just buy a new Colt, LMT or Daniel Defense rifle and run the crap out of it. When the barrel stops shooting accurately (6,000 to 10,000 rounds) simply rebuild it if you like.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Most definitely purchase a complete AR. Shoot it often. Learn what your REALLY need while honing your shooting skills. In time, build a gun to suit your particular needs

A home-built gun has little resale value, requires some specific tools and some skill to do it right
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Buy. Unless you have the guidance of someone who knows what theyre doing. Learn how to shoot the platform and its general operation before building.
View Quote

I go with this.

Unless you have someone walking you through the build, I'd buy your 1st. I bought my 1st one complete, then had a base to play around with. I started with small modifications and worked my way up to doing entire builds.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why your first AR should be a "buy". A good ol' standard run of the mill AR15. Venture out from there.

Asking what parts to buy will get you a rifle that undoubtedly has quality parts but may not fit into your intended use and will probably end up
costing you more in the long run because you got 100 different suggestions from well meaning friends.

Don't worry you'll have more than one anyways.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I would buy and learn the platform.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would buy a LMT SOPMOD lower with the match trigger and attach a pre-built upper of your choosing. It will be cheaper than buying it outright and you'll get exactly what you want. The LMT lower assembly is usually in stock at Rainer Arms for around $550.00. Buy a premium upper with a quality barrel and free float tube.

You will have well over $100 to $150 for tools to build it yourself unless you already own a torque wrench. You'll need a large vise and float tube and barrel nut specific wrenches. I have built dozens of rifles, but would not recommend a new person doing it on their very first AR-15.  

You could just buy a new Colt, LMT or Daniel Defense rifle and run the crap out of it. When the barrel stops shooting accurately (6,000 to 10,000 rounds) simply rebuild it if you like.
View Quote

Just out of curiousity, is this the typical barrel life you are currently getting out of your rifles? If so, what do you consider shot out with regards to acceptable accuracy? I only ask because I have two rifles with over 16k rounds through them and they are still able to shoot groups just about as good as they did from the get go.

Both of them have CHF barrels and they were used in classes, 2-3 matches a month, and weekly range trips for training, not slow fire bench type rifles.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Most definitely purchase a complete AR. Shoot it often. Learn what your REALLY need while honing your shooting skills. In time, build a gun to suit your particular needs

A home-built gun has little resale value, requires some specific tools and some skill to do it right
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or many to suit your particular wants.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Troy Bravo rifles $599
Looks like good deal
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#20]
When I got my first, I built from a stripped lower and bought a complete upper.  This is a good way to go as the lower is pretty easy to put together and is really hard to do something wrong on it.  Buy the upper so you don't have to worry about getting the barrel nut torqued properly or deal with head spacing or trying to get the gas system all lined up correctly.  Palmetto State Armory is one of the best places to go for building your own, they have high quality stuff at great prices.  Just steer clear of their PTAC line unless you are wanting to go as cheap as possible, it's their low end line of products.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just out of curiousity, is this the typical barrel life you are currently getting out of your rifles? If so, what do you consider shot out with regards to acceptable accuracy? I only ask because I have two rifles with over 16k rounds through them and they are still able to shoot groups just about as good as they did from the get go.

Both of them have CHF barrels and they were used in classes, 2-3 matches a month, and weekly range trips for training, not slow fire bench type rifles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any barrel I use for across-the-course tournaments will get re-barreled between 4,000 and 6,000 rounds based on performance on target. If I want to use that barrel for short range (<200 yards) it can live on for another 10,000 rounds +/- depending on whether it gets used in combat style matches that always ruin barrels. I have my first AR-15 SP1 purchased around 1982 that has to have 10,000 or more hard rounds through it. I don't have high expectations regarding it's accuracy potential at distance. A 1/12 twist can only shoot short range ammo anyway. It's used inside 50 yards 99% of the time.

Match barrel groups will start to open up at the 600 yard stage of NRA high power tournaments around 5.000 rounds +/- and shooting X's becomes more luck than skill. Time to re-barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top