Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2014 10:08:45 PM EDT
Looking to purchase a good Nickel Boron Bolt carrier group.

Is anyone out there still using a Fail Zero or WMD? If so pros/cons. How many rounds down range? Worth the money?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm still using one in a BCM middy I put together a couple years ago. No problems yet.
ETA: Fail Zero here
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:37:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 of them that have about 2500 rounds each without a problem. I have been happy with them as to operation and maintaining their appearance, I have an AIM that seems to discolor easily.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 2 of them that have about 2500 rounds each without a problem. I have been happy with them as to operation and maintaining their appearance, I have an AIM that seems to discolor easily.
View Quote

I was thinking about getting the AIM but all the research I was looking at said the same thing. Apparently the only two manufactures producing carriers with the correct application of Nickel Boron from what I was reading was in fact Fail Zero and WMD Guns.

I heard that WMD was started by guys who left Fail Zero. Not sure if this is true? Can anyone shed any light on this?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the WMD Guns BCG and I have about 1K rounds through it already with no problems. I really enjoy just a quick wipe down with a rag to clean it (except for the bolt). You cannot go wrong with either, my shooting buddy has the Fail Zero BCG and has had no problems with it to date.

V
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
WMD.  About 1,500 rounds.  Always fires, extracts and ejects everything.  Wipes off.  Still looks new.  GTG.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the WMD and same as others have said, it darkens up especially when I shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#8]
How about neither? I don't understand the hype with NIB shit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I have WMD here as well, about 1000 rounds and it still looks like new.  It cleans up very easy and has run flawlessly.

That said, I'm going to try ToolCraft in my next build.  I doubt that I will spend for the Cryptic Coatings version...  Might even throw in the Phosphate.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I have both; never an issue with either.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a WMD. Its been flawless for about 2500 rounds and the machine work is amazing. Zero marks.

I'm sure the Failzero is excellent as well, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#12]
FAilZero BCG's for $107 at RifleGear. Shows on sale for $120 but takes off another 10% in the cart for BF.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
See my toss up is that I can get a FailZero for about $50 less through one of the distributors. So I was curious if there was a big difference in the two carriers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
See my toss up is that I can get a FailZero for about $50 less through one of the distributors. So I was curious if there was a big difference in the two carriers.
View Quote

You cannot go wrong with either.

V
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#15]
All of the FZ BCG I have seen (first hand) do not have the correct key screws and I have yet to see one with a marked bolt. I see pics of WMD BCGs with the incorrect screws and others with the corrects screws, so it must be pot luck with those or sites are using pics of other BCGs in the listings. Spend a little more for a Spike's NIB if you want a coated BCG (+$25?). At least they have the correct key screws in them and a proper MPI/HP bolt. After all, these are weapons and your life has to be worth another $25.... mine is. I have never seen any Spike's Tactical, BCM, PSA Premium, LMT, or Toolcraft BCG with the incorrect key screws. It matters if you take your gear seriously.

What the hell am I talking about? Go here ( http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=122 ) and scroll down until you see 3 BCGs. Note the key screws in the middle BCG. These are incorrect. The top and bottom BCGs have the correct key screws. When I see a new brand of AR first hand, the carrier key screws are the first thing I look at when evaluating how seriously the gear can be taken. If they don't use the correct key screws, I'm done right there because if they will skimp on something that simple and obvious I don't want to know where else and how else they skimped. The screws are a sticking point for me because the first AR failure that I experienced was with a Bushmaster XM15 with those crap screws in it. The key came loose at about 600 rounds and the rifle would not extract or eject reliably. Part of the reason those screws are not ideal is that the socket cap diameter is smaller than what it should be to stake well and center the key to the carrier.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You answered the question in this statement.  Get the FailZero and use the $50 to buy extra ammo or mags!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You answered the question in this statement.  Get the FailZero and use the $50 to buy extra ammo or mags!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually just found the WMD at about $5 cheaper at the same distributor. So after hearing about the gas key issues someone above had a problem with I will order it and let you guys know as soon as I put eyes on it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top