Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2014 11:00:36 PM EDT
I've been considering the purchase of a Colt LE6920 but am now considering a DPMS M4. Can anyone who owns or has owned a DPMS Carbine share their experiences with me. I'd also appreciate comment from Colt owners, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I shot a rental DPMS Oracle at a Front Sight course. Gun was beat to death but never malfunctioned or failed in any way over the four day, 500rd course.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I owned the AP4 carbine and loved it. It was a nice tight fitting, no issues at all weapon. Accurate as can be and never once let me down. I'd buy another one in a heart beat if the opportunity arose. I kind of regret selling it but I got in to building them and funded another project with the money. I loved it though, great rifle. I never had the colt so I can't say anything about that. I'm sure it is great as well.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/AP4-CARBINE_ep_102-1.html
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It really depends on cost.

Is the DPMS you're considering the same price as a Colt 6920?  If so, no, do not go with the DPMS.  There are measurable and documented things better about the Colt.

Now, if you're looking to save some money and it's considerably cheaper, then I'd say go for it if you don't need the upgrades the Colt offers.

ETA:  Even if the DPMS is cheaper, it still matters how cheap.  I'd go out on a limb and say I'd prefer a PSA (Premium line, not PTAC) over a DPMS.  Unless it starts competing with PSA prices, I wouldn't see myself recommending the DPMS over other options.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
All the DPMS parts/guns I have owned have been fine, no issues that I have not seen in other brands..........you asked DPMS vs Colt..."pepper ur anus" as they say.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. I believe it was the AP4 that I was looking at. I want a bare bones M4 that I can modify and arrange the way I want it. The salesman said the Colts are kind of proprietary kind of like Apple products compared to a PC. I don't know if he was trying to sell off DPMS products or not though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#6]

As I have had excellent service from my DPMS I would recommend it highly. I shoot it very regularly and have never had a single problem of any kind. I understand a Colt is supposed to be an upgrade. Upgrade to what, I don't know. They both do exactly the same thing, one as well as the other. The most important thing is to get what you want as you are the one who will be using it. Lots of good ones out there now days.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to be rude, but the salesman sounds like just that; a salesman. He will say what he needs to to sell what he has. Colt is anything but proprietary. Every component on a Colt 6920 is standard and to-spec. They MADE the "standard". KAC is an example of proprietary with their Bolt lug design, etc. Colt USED to use larger Trigger/Hammer pins during the Clinton days, but now use standard .154" pins. They are by no means proprietary like Apple.

I'll be "that guy"; Get the Colt over a DPMS.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. I believe it was the AP4 that I was looking at. I want a bare bones M4 that I can modify and arrange the way I want it. The salesman said the Colts are kind of proprietary kind of like Apple products compared to a PC. I don't know if he was trying to sell off DPMS products or not though.
View Quote

Yep, salesman was bullshitting you.  Outside of the 6940 or any of their other "monolithic upper" designs (the proprietary parts on these are relegated to your handguard options and barrels, that is it), Colts are just as modular and can utilize the same exact parts that a DPMS will.

ETA:  Also include older model Colts with their large trigger pins.  It sounds like you were looking at purchasing a new 6920 though, so this shouldn't matter in your case.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#9]
As an owner of both Colt and DPMS rifles, there is no contest here.  Go with the Colt.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Several years ago I picked up an Oracle because it was cheap, $600. They're still cheap, Mine has had one misfire, only one. Keep it lubed and shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The salesman has no idea what he is talking about. I own two DPMS rifles, and never owned a Colt, but if the Colt is with in $250 of the Colt I would go with colt hands down. Colts are not proprietary in anyway, they are the standard AR that all others are compared too. That said their rifles that are better than Colt but none are in the entry level price range. I am rather fond of the DPMS triggers in my experience they have been smooth, and grit free right out of the box. Compared to others that can be gritty when new.

I like Colt over DPMS because they use milspec parts, and the use better barrels. DPMS usually uses commercial extension tubes, and non chrome lined barrels.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The salesman said the Colts are kind of proprietary kind of like Apple products compared to a PC. I don't know if he was trying to sell off DPMS products or not though.
View Quote

Stop listening to gun store jack off's, hang around here and learn, then decide which rifle to buy. It might be beneficial to wait before you commit.

You obviously don't have the knowledge to make your own decision, so why not wait before you let someone else decide for you?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#13]
yes there are prop parts and oddities to some colt models (mentioned earlier in this thread), salesman was not completely off just not as honest or educated as he should be

that said,

colt will have better resale if you choose to sell at some later time
colt will have better parts overall and be more consistent with mil-spec

dpms will most likely be more accurate

both will be reliable

since it's your first AR, I'd buy the dpms since it's cheaper, learn to shoot and then decide what you want next
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I had an HBAR Flattop DPMS upper ~ 2-3 years ago and it was decent.
Had a round get stuck in the chamber (no ejection), that I had to get a rod to remove occasionally. Once every thousand rounds maybe.

Switched to a BCM complete rifle and never looked back. Just me though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#15]
OP what is your budget for a rifle?  Colt of the two listed you are looking at is your better choice.  It is not proprietary at all it so buy with confidence...... Also remember when at a gun store only believe 50% of what they tell you.  They probably make for profit off the DPMS even though it is a cheaper rifle.  Many dealers will push the rifles they make higher profit on over others even when the others are better rifles.  Remember they are in the business of making money.

So if he says Colts are proprietary from that statement you can take away that the rifle is made by Colt and the other half of the statement is the lie.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#16]
My first AR was a DPMS Panther Carbine 223 w/ 11.5 Inch Barrel and 5.5 Inch Fixed Flashhider and an A2 Upper. I bought it back in 2004. I dumped a lot of money into fixing it up (A.R.M.S. S.I.R., EOTech 512A65, VLTOR carbine stock, VFG, and a Streamlight weaponlight). It ran like a top and I still have that AR today, but it was converted to a SBR and upraded with a LMT 10.5" upper, BCM BCG, and a few other goodies to set it up like the Mk18 Mod 0. I have also used a few DPMS LPKs, barreled uppers, and stripped lowers for various builds. Never any issues.

Here is my first DPMS AR in its current form.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All the DPMS parts/guns I have owned have been fine, no issues that I have not seen in other brands..........you asked DPMS vs Colt..."pepper ur anus" as they say.
View Quote

Angus.    That's "pepper your angus", lol
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Colt is a good tier 1 beginners AR. You should start there and work your way up to a DPMS. I've read on the internet that when you buy a new Colt you are automatically enrolled in the Jane Fonda fan club. If it's on the internet it has to be true. Bon 'Jour. Then again, you could just make your own decision?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
one of my brothers has a dpms m4 style carbine. im not sure of the exact model but i dont like at all. very tight mag well (pmags g2 and g3) dont drop free, really cheesy weak feeling parts espically the reciever extension, and ive had it jam up a few times
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Several years ago before I new any better, I had a DPMS that was garbage. Most PMAGs wouldn't even fit in the magwell because it was so out of spec. Those that did fit had to be crammed in.

Not to mention the gas block that rattled loose after a few hundred rounds and the BCG with practically no gas key staking. I called and emailed them about it and never got any assistance (this was before I learned how to fix things myself).

If you are considering both at a similar price range, then Colt is miles ahead of DPMS. Even if the DPMS is a few hundred cheaper, I would personally save up more for a decent rifle. They've left a bad taste in my mouth.

Quoted:
Colt is a good tier 1 beginners AR. You should start there and work your way up to a DPMS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Colt is a good tier 1 beginners AR. You should start there and work your way up to a DPMS.

Work your way up to a DPMS? I think you have that backwards.

Quoted:
very tight mag well (pmags g2 and g3) dont drop free

Well, looks like I wasn't the only one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#22]
With the current buyers market and Colts going for under $900, no question, get the Colt!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Work your way up to a DPMS? I think you have that backwards.

Did I get that backwards? OK. Sorry.

Correction: You can always start with a DPMS and work your way down to a Colt.

I've never had even a minor glitch with my DPMS. All the mags I have work great as does the rest of the gun.

Thank YOU DPMS for making an excellent product. I don't know anything about your customer service as I've never needed it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#24]
If you do decide to go with the DPMS, they are offering a $50 rebate on select models.

https://dpms.rebateaccess.com./promotion.php?p=55145

I sent my rebate in a couple of weeks ago, it's being processed now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!  thanks man...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#26]
My first Ar  is a DPMS Oracle. Build quality seems fine and it operates flawlessly. I shoot with a couple of friends who shoot Colts and there is noticeable difference in accuracy. I did make one improvement on the DPMS almost immediately and that was the addition of a Rock River N.M. trigger. The DPMS was gritty. Of course I didn't give it much chance to smooth out but the Colt's trigger pulls were nothing to brag about either.
You can get a DPMS VERY reasonable right now and I think their $50 rebate is still in place.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Colt owner here, love the 6920 I have. I'm biased heavily towards them since I've used them in the military.

that being said I've had good experiences with DPMS rifles I've owned and shot
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I think a lot of their configurations are old fashioned or plain ugly,  and they often get maligned due to often being the cheapest option.

I have an upper from JSE surplus that all DPMS parts.  It's  7" "Kitty Kat." The worst I've heard is from people having troubles getting one to run full auto, which is to be expected.  Mine runs great and it's fairly accurate for a little guy. In 1/9 twist it even shoots 22lr respectably well.

It's been the #1 shooter lately.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Colt is a good tier 1 beginners AR. You should start there and work your way up to a DPMS. I've read on the internet that when you buy a new Colt you are automatically enrolled in the Jane Fonda fan club. If it's on the internet it has to be true. Bon 'Jour. Then again, you could just make your own decision?
View Quote

He's trolling the tech forum, gents.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a dons 20" bull barrel not sure of the model name. It's been prairie dog hunting a handful of times I would guess over 2k rounds fired not one problem ever. My best group ever fired with any gun was with this gun. A dime size 4 shot group at 200yds. Only 4 shots because after I saw only one ragged hole I chickened out and didn't want to ruin it lol
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow thanks for all the great feedback. As for experience I spent 23 years in the Army firing nothing but the Colt M16/A1/A2 (except for the short time I was assigned a 1911) and I'm really sorry I retired before they started fielding the M4's.

Actually the DPMS I was looking at is a little more $ then the 6920. I grew up in Connecticut, brother worked at Southern Arms (I think that's the name) making shotgun barrels and my aunt was the secretary for the president of the Winchester Gun Museum before it moved to Cody, WY. A lotta good guns come or came from CT and that's why I like Colt.

I know the Colts really good but don't know anything else about the new AR's M4's that's why I asked this question. I think I'll stay with my first instincts and go with the home team.

I actually wanted the 6921 and Washington became a SBS this past July but after research and learning about the ATF requirements I gave up on that idea, the 6920 will do the same as a 6921 will for me.

Thanks again for all the help, hell keep the posts coming, by the time your all done arguing which is better I might just by a M901.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry for your dealing with us we try to give the best customer service possible and if a customer calls with an issue we always take care of it. Not sure what happened with your situation.

In regards to Pmags not dropping free: This was a "hot" topic a couple years ago when we (DPMS) had a small run of magwells tighter than normal but within spec dimensions and magpul had slightly wider/larger mouldings.
The two combined sometimes had issues.
However and USGI mags worked flawlessly as designed in those lowers.

For those loyal DPMS customers we thank you!
View Quote

WOW I'm impressed. I've been a moderator on several boards (DakotaUSA, C3VR, and others) and have never had a rep from the manufacture chime in on a post, good call DPMS
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wow thanks for all the great feedback. As for experience I spent 23 years in the Army firing nothing but the Colt M16/A1/A2 (except for the short time I was assigned a 1911) and I'm really sorry I retired before they started fielding the M4's.

Actually the DPMS I was looking at is a little more $ then the 6920. I grew up in Connecticut, brother worked at Southern Arms (I think that's the name) making shotgun barrels and my aunt was the secretary for the president of the Winchester Gun Museum before it moved to Cody, WY. A lotta good guns come or came from CT and that's why I like Colt.

I know the Colts really good but don't know anything else about the new AR's M4's that's why I asked this question. I think I'll stay with my first instincts and go with the home team.

I actually wanted the 6921 and Washington became a SBS this past July but after research and learning about the ATF requirements I gave up on that idea, the 6920 will do the same as a 6921 will for me.

Thanks again for all the help, hell keep the posts coming, by the time your all done arguing which is better I might just by a M901.
View Quote

There are options for the 6921 (such as pinning and welding the FH) that allow you to avoid the hassle and extra ATF paperwork.  Only catch is you're stuck with the muzzle device you've got and married to whatever barrel nut is on the upper limiting your handguard choices.  Hence why some people don't like this option.

Either way, at the price point you're describing, with the DPMS being more expensive, it really is a no brainer to go with the Colt.

Hope you enjoy your new rifle!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets see. The op's post asks for opinions on a DPMS on a heavily Colt Fanboi populated forum. Even asks specifically for their input? Maybe a little baiting? Relax! Remember, trolls need love too!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#35]
The first few rifles I built were on dpms parts kits bought from fac when they were still in business, no problems. In fact there lpks seem to give a better trigger pull than most. I have my neutered m4 barrel with a welded brake I am going to build into another upper at some point.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a DPMS Sportical and it never has missed a beat for me, if I had the funds for a Colt though I would seriously consider buying it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a DPMS lower from 05-06.  It's a little sloppy.  I should have dumped it during the panic.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#38]
My only experience with DPMS is in the >308 caliber. I had a an AP4 that I could hold MOA-sub MOA 5 round groups with an Acog TA-33 optic . I sold it during the panic... it was a great gun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#39]
308 oracle.  it needs good brass 308 spec ammo steel or surplus will choke it hard.

I had a hard time getting the original furniture off but the magpul furniture went on and it fits well.  magpul 308 nmags are 100%
it is a 1 moa rifle all day long . recoil is minimal I think its a good rifle.  its no SCAR17S but it'll hold it's own at a range against a scar 17.  in the wild I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been happy with my DPMS but the 6920 is a great deal right now.

I would go colt on this one
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My only experience with DPMS is in the >308 caliber. I had a an AP4 that I could hold MOA-sub MOA 5 round groups with an Acog TA-33 optic . I sold it during the panic... it was a great gun.
View Quote

I have the 308 as well. Has been a great gun. Only problem I've had is a broken extractor. Called DPMS Customer service and they sent me out a new one pretty quick. Another 1000 rounds later and it's still going strong. Holds about 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 100m.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I will add that my particular DPMS upper is on a pistol play gun and my rifle is a Colt. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I was having great luck with my DPMS until the gas key came loose while shooting at targets! Single shot "bolt" action AR's are not fun! A little loctite and staking later and I think it will hold until I replace the bcg with a more trust worthy group. This happened around 200-300 rounds or so on a Oracle I bought new in 2012
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a DPMS AP-4 Carbine.   It is accurate, has had no malfunctions, the barrel is chrome lined, it accepts all magazines, and the gas key is properly staked.   A shooting buddy has the same rifle, and the same results.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top