Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 204
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: G_MAN] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alaska511:

This was my fear I am gathering the parts for my CQBR with FSB build, and I have run out of REs.  I bought a half dozen VLTOR 6 position, foolishly thinking I would never need another.

Decisions, Decisions...I bet on that 10.3, supressed, it would be king ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By G_MAN:

You won't need a adjustable block unless yore using a can. the 13.7" Infidel seems to have a port sized(I have no idea what the size is) right in the sweet spot to run both nato pressure and lower powered 223. It's a very smooth cycling configuration, obviously slightly dependent on BCG, RE, Spring, buffer and weight of the rifle. I run mine with an A5 RE and it feels pretty much on par with a 20" rifle.

The A5 system has me VERY intrigued.  I have ignored it, intentionally, not wanting to spend any more on these damn things.  I may just try one on this next one.

Be warned, it's kind of like gieselle triggers, once you try one you'll want them on everything. I have an extra one sitting here, be more than willing to send it to you so you can try it out. they really shine on SBRs.

This was my fear I am gathering the parts for my CQBR with FSB build, and I have run out of REs.  I bought a half dozen VLTOR 6 position, foolishly thinking I would never need another.

Decisions, Decisions...I bet on that 10.3, supressed, it would be king ?

On a 10" suppressed It is King!! add a LMT Enhanced BCG(the newer ones with added weep hole) and it's Fucking King Kong!!!

I believe this is the best "non-adjustable gas block" configurations for that set up, and I've tried a lot.

edit: the A5 can and will fix under or over gassed guns, they make a wide range of buffers. not going to turn this thread into an A5 thread, TOS is much more into the A5(and the LMT Enhanced BCG), do some reading there.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks G.   You can say all you want in my thread  I will poke around over there, I think my log in still works.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Fixes undergas issues?  Please 'splain.  Not discounting, I am truly intrigued.  I want to choke the gas back until I can nearly make it not function, so this has my interest.
View Quote

I haven't the foggiest. Some guys in the dissipator pic thread were talking about the A5 fixing their undergas issues. I was already planning on using the A5 on my dissy so it was win win for me. Sorry, no help.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:28:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MonolithicRP] [#4]
Fixes undergas issues?  Please 'splain.  Not discounting, I am truly intrigued.  I want to choke the gas back until I can nearly make it not function, so this has my interest.
View Quote

It's not so much that it fixes an undergassed gun, but the A5 system does work across a wider range of variables that can affect operation.  It's more tolerant, less finicky.

I'd also recommend not tuning the gas down to the edge of operation.  In my experience, that is asking for a trouble because it's really easy to have something off enough to cause a malfunction.  Of course if it's just a range gun or even a game gun then that isn't such a  big deal.  On any gun I want to be dependable I won't tune the gas feed down as much as some people do.  I thought I had plenty of extra margin on a couple of mine and I had a stoppage on one just because I put a new spring into a mag, and had short cycling on another in colder ambient temperatures.  I'm starting to think that a lot of combinations aren't as 'overgassed' as people think they are...they just have more margin for changing variables.  Regardless, I think the A5 buffer system does tolerate a wider range of those variables so the gas can be tuned down a *little* further as a result.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By hammermill290:

It's not so much that it fixes an undergassed gun, but the A5 system does work across a wider range of variables that can affect operation.  It's more tolerant, less finicky.

I'd also recommend not tuning the gas down to the edge of operation.  In my experience, that is asking for a trouble because it's really easy to have something off enough to cause a malfunction.  Of course if it's just a range gun or even a game gun then that isn't such a  big deal.  On any gun I want to be dependable I won't tune the gas feed down as much as some people do.  I thought I had plenty of extra margin on a couple of mine and I had a stoppage on one just because I put a new spring into a mag, and had short cycling on another in colder ambient temperatures.  I'm starting to think that a lot of combinations aren't as 'overgassed' as people think they are...they just have more margin for changing variables.  Regardless, I think the A5 buffer system does tolerate a wider range of those variables so the gas can be tuned down a *little* further as a result.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hammermill290:

I am very well aware of the pitfalls of gas pressure experiments.  I have several rifles.  The ones that I am intending to "re-tune" are the rifles that I am shooting longer distances with to kill paper.

My HD rifles are all set up to be tolerant.

Thanks for the info on the A5
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:23:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: G_MAN] [#7]
Thanks G.   You can say all you want in my thread  I will poke around over there, I think my log in still works.
View Quote

well, for one, it allows the use of a heavier buffer and longer stronger spring, I run an A5H4 which is 6.83 oz(rifle buffer is 5.6, a H3 is 5.6) and a XP spring in my 10.5" LMT and DD 10.3"(which i just sold).

I can't explain the physics behind the advantages of a longer rifle length spring vs a carbine spring, but my experiences, as well as the fact that almost all high level competitive shooters use them, lead me to believe that a rifle length spring has advantages over a carbine.

"A benefit of the additional spring/buffer weight is that it slows down the unlocking and extracting tempo, increasing the locked chamber dwell time and allowing for much more reliable extraction and ejection. This is because the longer dwell time allows the chamber pressure to recede more, as well as transferring heat from the case to the chamber walls. It also offers a softer-shooting rifle because the recoil impulse is transmitted over a longer period of time, hence lower ft-lbs/second received at the shoulder." ~mike panone

The LMT enhanced carrier also slows down the unlocking by venting more of the gas(before unlocking) through the carrier than a standard carrier.

the combination of the two makes a gun that has a larger operating window that will smoothly and reliably cycle both  high and lower pressured ammo, suppressed and unsuppressed, without having to turn down the gas to levels that may then make it unreliable in various conditions.

This is more important on a gun that, by design, has a smaller dwell time*, perfect on a carbine gassed 10"er.

*I define dwell time as the time between firing and bolt unlocking. The distance between the gas port and end of muzzle has a great deal to do with this, but as you can see, there are other ways to manipulate dwell time. there is an optimal dwell time and that time isn't measured in inches.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]

well, for one, it allows the use of a heavier buffer and longer stronger spring, I run an A5H4 which is 6.83 oz(rifle buffer is 5.6, a H3 is 5.6) and a XP spring in my 10.5" LMT and DD 10.3"(which i just sold).  

A benefit of the additional spring/buffer weight is that it slows down the unlocking and extracting tempo, increasing the locked chamber dwell time and allowing for much more reliable extraction and ejection. This is because the longer dwell time allows the chamber pressure to recede more, as well as transferring heat from the case to the chamber walls. It also offers a softer-shooting rifle because the recoil impulse is transmitted over a longer period of time, hence lower ft-lbs/second received at the shoulder.

The LMT enhanced carrier also slows down the unlocking by venting more of the gas(before unlocking) through the carrier than a standard carrier.

the combination of the two makes a gun that has a larger operating window that will smoothly and reliably cycle both  high and lower pressured ammo, suppressed and unsuppressed, without having to turn down the gas to levels that may then make it unreliable in carrying conditions.

This is more important on a gun that, by design, has a smaller dwell time*, perfect on a carbine gassed 10"er.

*I define dwell time as the time between firing and bolt unlocking. The distance between the gas port and end of muzzle has a great deal to do with this, but as you can see, there are other ways to manipulate dwell time. there is an optimal dwell time and that time isn't measured in inches.
View All Quotes

A benefit of the additional spring/buffer weight is that it slows down the unlocking and extracting tempo, increasing the locked chamber dwell time and allowing for much more reliable extraction and ejection. This is because the longer dwell time allows the chamber pressure to recede more, as well as transferring heat from the case to the chamber walls. It also offers a softer-shooting rifle because the recoil impulse is transmitted over a longer period of time, hence lower ft-lbs/second received at the shoulder.

the combination of the two makes a gun that has a larger operating window that will smoothly and reliably cycle both  high and lower pressured ammo, suppressed and unsuppressed, without having to turn down the gas to levels that may then make it unreliable in carrying conditions.

Great info and explanation. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#9]

=SNIP=

Thanks G_MAN!

View All Quotes

=SNIP=

Thanks G_MAN!

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]
We were yakkin' about 13.7s yesterday.  This is the other one I found.  It doesn't hurt that I got a $200 Rainier gift card for Christmas, either.  I have a couple RA barrels, I am a fan.

LINKY

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#11]
We were yakkin' about 13.7s yesterday.  This is the other one I found.  It doesn't hurt that I got a $200 Rainier gift card for Christmas, either.  I have a couple RA barrels, I am a fan.

LINKY

View Quote

So there you are!  I was looking for this thread on the first page the other day and it was gone...then I saw you yakkin' in the CQBR thread and thought you jumped ship and abandoned thread lol!

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell no.  I have been a MK18 cloner poser wannabe way before starting this thread, and all the old school FSB/Mk18 pics finally made me want another.  

We have been fortunate to have this thread stay on the first couple pages for a few months now.  Lots of cool rifles in this thread.  Everybody has a shorty in their heart, they are just afraid to admit it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
MK18s/CQBRs and mini RECCEs are the best rigs there are. Hence why Alaska spends a good amount of time in both of those threads.

My third CQBR is nearly complete. Think I'll be turning it into a mini RECCE.

Haven't decided on optics yet though. An Elcan should be kosher for a mini RECCE, right? Although it's not a true variable optic since it's a 1x/4x.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I think my can sounds better on the 14.5 than it does on the 11.5.

Thus the 14.5 now has the mini recce role and the 11.5 is back to being a light and handy SBR.

Shit changes like the seasons.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I love these shorties!  I'd be in the CQBR thread too but I went 11.5.

I just overhauled the mini reece with a Noveske upper.  

I was pleasantly surprised at the barrel to upper receiver fit.  It required a bit of effort (not excessive) to slide the barrel extension into the receiver, and it stopped with about 1/4 the distance to go.  Could not push it in with normal force.  I tightened up the barrel nut (with no excessive force) and that basically pressed the barrel into the receiver.  Nice and tight, and after 3 snugs I had no problem aligning the teeth for the gas tube.  Upper also fits real nice on the lower.

I think I won the tolerance stack lottery with this one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smg1231smg] [#16]
-LMT MRP Upper with 10.5" 300 Blackout Barrel
-Trijicon TR24

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:50:51 AM EDT
[#17]

LINKY

View Quote

I have a 13.7 ultramatch,... I'm sure you won't be disappointed
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RecoilSensitive] [#18]
Got mine finished (well besides paint but it is too cold for that). Hope to shoot it next weekend.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I mostly lurk but you guys have been so tempting me with this thread I figured should share my new toy.  11.5 sionics barrel, 10.5 KMR  vg6 epsilon brake and a primary arms 1-4.  sitting on the fiance's comforter and shot with the iphone.

SBR-24 by Steeles240, on Flickr

got a quick and dirty zero today after test fire.

SBR-28 by Steeles240, on Flickr

a modified 50/200 zero target at 25.  leaning on the bench with elbow and grip for support shooting wolf GOLD 55gr.

(yes I know there's no trigger guard, the magpul MOE plastic one that came with the LPK stripped the screw trying to screw it in.   I'll be ordering something this weekend.)
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Welcome!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Keep this thread alive. Soon as my next build (HD) is done, I'm going the NFA route unpin to 13.7 SBR and suppress. Solid 200 yd zero at the range.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Steeles:
I mostly lurk but you guys have been so tempting me with this thread I figured should share my new toy.  11.5 sionics barrel, 10.5 KMR  vg6 epsilon brake and a primary arms 1-4.  sitting on the fiance's comforter and shot with the iphone.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/qNtePC" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7468/16278435766_a48155f72f.jpg</a>SBR-24 by Steeles240, on Flickr

got a quick and dirty zero today after test fire.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/qQFGhC" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7481/16303499132_19270e8395.jpg</a>SBR-28 by Steeles240, on Flickr

a modified 50/200 zero target at 25.  leaning on the bench with elbow and grip for support shooting wolf GOLD 55gr.

(yes I know there's no trigger guard, the magpul MOE plastic one that came with the LPK stripped the screw trying to screw it in.   I'll be ordering something this weekend.)
View Quote

Welcome aboard and nice rifle. Generally I'd point out that you shouldn't span the rail and receiver with your scope rings, but your shooting doesn't seem to be suffering.

How does the rifle balance with the UBR and a short barrel?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By OneRanger:
Keep this thread alive. Soon as my next build (HD) is done, I'm going the NFA route unpin to 13.7 SBR and suppress. Solid 200 yd zero at the range.
http://photos-g.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10903663_1528757657375062_80512675_n.jpg
View Quote

Awesome!  

I made my last revision to my "plan" today, and I am going 13.7 as well to replace my BCM 14.5

In the interest of saving money I am going to cut that BCM 14.5 standard to 10.3 for my CQBR build, and chop my FN SS 16 inch midlength to 13.7 to take its place

I have way too many barrels, and since I never shoot that 16 incher, it is a prime candidate for the 13.7 midlength SBR Recce.  I am not sure what ADCO will do to the gas port, but I will put an adj gas block on it anyway.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:58:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Awesome!  

I made my last revision to my "plan" today, and I am going 13.7 as well to replace my BCM 14.5

In the interest of saving money I am going to cut that BCM 14.5 standard to 10.3 for my CQBR build, and chop my FN SS 16 inch midlength to 13.7 to take its place

I have way too many barrels, and since I never shoot that 16 incher, it is a prime candidate for the 13.7 midlength SBR Recce.  I am not sure what ADCO will do to the gas port, but I will put an adj gas block on it anyway.
View All Quotes
http://photos-g.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10903663_1528757657375062_80512675_n.jpg

Awesome!  

I am convinced I'm going to SBR my current mini, but I will never go lower than a 13.7 middy, man I love that middy gas system. I'm running my first adjustable gas block, another game changer I don't want to live without. I got a brand new ipad mini in the plastic to start this endeavor, poor college kid . At least my head is in the game, ipad mini for MOAR mini-recce upgrades.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Minion; I do want a one piece mount for the scope.  I grabbed the rings cause I wasn't sure I'd like the scope.  (Also why I got the PA).  But I am liking it so I'm looking at the ADM scout.  As for the UBR, holding it feels off, but shouldering it it's good.  Tucked into the shoulder you don't really feel the weight.    However (shhh don't tell anyone) I put the upper on my other lower that has a vltor a5 setup with a b5 bravo.   Shaved a full pound of weight and it felt a lot better.    Might swap them.   Gonna run it with the UBR for awhile.   At least until I can run one of the two/three gun matches I shoot with it.   I think if I ever get a suppressor the UBR will balance perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Getting ready to box this up and send it off to be put together.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/Kyle_OA/Mobile%20Uploads/72F39AB9-6D24-4E0C-9115-DE634845995A_zpszefgaafr.jpg
View Quote

SICK, like a mini MK12. Saw at Shot Show that SilencerCo teamed up with BE Meyers for a joint FH/suppressor ready system, I'm hoping it's long enough to pin 13.7"
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#28]

SICK, like a mini MK12. Saw at Shot Show that SilencerCo teamed up with BE Meyers for a joint FH/suppressor ready system, I'm hoping it's long enough to pin 13.7"
View All Quotes

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/Kyle_OA/Mobile%20Uploads/72F39AB9-6D24-4E0C-9115-DE634845995A_zpszefgaafr.jpg

This is some badass news.

SilencerCo is making some huge strides in the suppressor game. I think it's become pretty clear that they're the company to look at for the future of cans. They are likely to become the company in time IMO.

No other suppressor companies have done enough to make me stray from AAC yet. I can finally say that my next can will not be an AAC, and will likely be a SilencerCo.

Though I'm now intrigued to hear more details about the new SureFire SOCOM version 2 cans as well. There were a couple things that rubbed me the wrong way about their current SOCOM cans. Their baffles seemed to get beat to shit much quicker than the competition's. That has been my primary reservation with the current SF SOCOM cans.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

SilencerCo is making some huge strides in the suppressor game. I think it's become pretty clear that they're the company to look at for the future of cans. They are likely to become the company in time IMO.

No other suppressor companies have done enough to make me stray from AAC yet. I can finally say that my next can will not be an AAC, and will likely be a SilencerCo.

Though I'm now intrigued to hear more details about the new SureFire SOCOM version 2 cans as well. There were a couple things that rubbed me the wrong way about their current SOCOM cans. Their baffles seemed to get beat to shit much quicker than the competition's. That has been my primary reservation with the current SF SOCOM cans.
View All Quotes

I just really wish more manufactures jump on the 13.7 middy/carbine barrel systems and produce more 16 OAL pin-able devices, unless the few of us here in the mini-recce thread are the only 13.7 lovers.
SilencerCo is not only producing outstanding and highly adaptable cans, but their customer service and marketing is really attracting. If this SilencerCo/BEMeyer FH is long enough to pin, fuck it I'm selling my road bike and getting the omega ASAP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:31:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Munzy] [#30]

I just really wish more manufactures jump on the 13.7 middy/carbine barrel systems and produce more 16 OAL pin-able devices, unless the few of us here in the mini-recce thread are the only 13.7 lovers.
SilencerCo is not only producing outstanding and highly adaptable cans, but their customer service and marketing is really attracting. If this SilencerCo/BEMeyer FH is long enough to pin, fuck it I'm selling my road bike and getting the omega ASAP.
View Quote

At the moment the BE meyers mount is only available for the Saker MAAD mount, and as far I know the Omega isn't MAAD compatible, yet. From this article the new BE Meyers/saker mount is long enough to bring a 13.7" to 16.35" OAL vs 16.45" with the current 249F model.

Hopefully SS will make a Saker mount for the Omega, if/when they do I'll being buying one in a hurry too. I'm still tempted to pick up the mount just for the hell of it though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:00:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Bump for weekend updates in MiniReccedom
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#32]
This thread is making me want to try my 1-4x24 Viper on my 14.5 pinned Block II .
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:14:11 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a VCOG that will be making a home on one of my 10.3s at the range tomorrow afternoon.

Pics to follow.

With a third 10.3 currently on the way, it's only fitting that one becomes a MR.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:18:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Right on.  Look forward to the pics.

We have a long way to go in overtaking the Recce thread @ 172 pages.

Bastards have an 8 year head start.

I am going to have to beg VA for the anti-kill order on this thread.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By fastfoot:

This thread is making me want to try my 1-4x24 Viper on my 14.5 pinned Block II .
View Quote
Do it.

Both 14.5"

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:27:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: plante74] [#36]

Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

Do it.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8677/15977670998_cbfaea7a6f_h.jpg

Both 14.5"

View All Quotes

Do it.

Both 14.5"

Yup. Basically what I'm running. 14.5 m4 ff barrel. Works great!

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By plante74:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By plante74:

Do it.

Both 14.5"

While the standard m4 in the MRE ain't bad, I have been thoroughly impressed by what the 14.5 SOCOM is capable of.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#38]
Is anybody dynamically running a Leupy VX-R  1.25-4 operationally?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Bump for weekend updates in MiniReccedom
View Quote

Expect an ATACS paint job this week if my schedule cooperates.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#40]
This is about as close as I could get to ATACS. The colors work in my AO in the current season and after the corn is harvested.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:31:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Looks like a tiger tank!!

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Black is the new black

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#44]

You need a little bleach when you wash those whites son!

What barrel is that?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By AR_DIESEL:

What barrel is that?
View All Quotes

What barrel is that?

Lol sorry about that, I use those old loose socks for gun cleaning rags.

Barrel is a Noveske Crusader 12.5 and the Troy VTAC Alpha is 11".
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By g300d:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By g300d:

What barrel is that?

Looks sweet man
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#47]
^ thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Got the VCOG
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Nice. What reticle?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Nice. What reticle?
View All Quotes

Nice. What reticle?

55g 223 horseshoe
Page / 204
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top