User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 204
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RecoilSensitive:
What Ammo do you all run.  My rifle really likes IMI 69 but have been shooting more and more lately and it’s not cheap. Saw some PPU match 69 and 75 for 9.88 a box but was thinking maybe going to a good XM193 loading.

14.5 Faxon Gunner Barrel Strike Eagle 1-8.  Have stretched to 600 so far.  Most shots 400 or less
View Quote
Handloads

More accurate and cheaper
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Not set to load right now.  I load 9mm but that’s all.  2 kids under 3 keeps my time pretty full.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheManimal] [#3]
Originally Posted By RecoilSensitive:
Not set to load right now.  I load 9mm but that’s all.  2 kids under 3 keeps my time pretty full.
View Quote
Right there with you @RecoilSensitive Like in the very same boat. Big bro is 3 and little bro will be 2 next month. I plan to start reloading and hunting in a year or two when they are a little more self sufficient, but while they are little I want to be around to play and help the wife around the house (when I am not working).

Placeholder: I did get a chance last night to snap some photos of a couple minis and will post them here later.

ETA: Not a new photo. Old one:

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
My Bushnell AR Optics PCL finally came back from warranty replacement.

Except I stole the Aero mount off my 13.7 to use for the Vortex on my blackout.  

So I'm clearing out some space for Mrs. to install the Kwanzaa Bush in the living room instead of mounting a scope.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:48:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheManimal] [#5]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
My Bushnell AR Optics PCL finally came back from warranty replacement.

Except I stole the Aero mount off my 13.7 to use for the Vortex on my blackout.  

So I'm clearing out some space for Mrs. to install the Kwanzaa Bush in the living room instead of mounting a scope.  
View Quote
Nothing like a good bush. Bushes are in right now

ETA: @ArmedFerret You know what would go well with the Kwanzaa Bush? A Festivus Pole! FEATS OF STRENGTH!
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TheManimal:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/021024940703/media/124298392260/large/1543931139/enhance

ETA: @ArmedFerret You know what would go well with the Kwanzaa Bush? A Festivus Pole! FEATS OF STRENGTH!
View Quote
Dunno man.  Kwanzaa was bestowed upon humanity by Ron Everett (AKA Maulana Karenga) while he was serving a prison sentence for felony assault and false imprisonment when he kidnapped and tortured two women over several days (including putting a hot soldering iron in one woman's mouth).  He invented it because "jesus was a lunatic" and christmas was "a white man's holiday".  So the festivus pole would clearly be racist.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#7]
There are no bushes in my threads, and definitely no poles

(I will allow a landing strip)
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#8]
And here it is finally.  Not sure what to call it.  Any suggestions?  Also can’t decide between the Harris bipod or Magpul.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Mk Recce?
Rc (pronounced "wreck") 18?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
CQBRecce
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:04:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#11]
If anything should be called a dickfer.....

DickfeRecce?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone here owned both a P4Xi and a PST Gen II? I like the Steiner quite a bit, but I believe I may have killed mine after a year or so of use and I'm trying to determine if the Vortex would be an upgrade (other than the quarter pound weight penalty) or if I'm going to be disappointed making the switch...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 0uTkAsT:
Has anyone here owned both a P4Xi and a PST Gen II? I like the Steiner quite a bit, but I believe I may have killed mine after a year or so of use and I'm trying to determine if the Vortex would be an upgrade (other than the quarter pound weight penalty) or if I'm going to be disappointed making the switch...
View Quote
Razor HD Gen II E 1-6 is the answer to the question you did not even think to ask.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 0uTkAsT:
View Quote
I owned both, I kept the PST gen II, the extra 2x is very useful, plus I like a mil reticle. the Steiner is a really good optic and the glass, weight, and size were awesome, but 4x, and wonky turrets and the kind of cheap feel to the construction made me keep the Viper. I like the PST gen II so much I ended up buying a Razor while they were on sale, albeit in the JM-1 reticle. I love the construction of it, the glass, and the weight doesn't bother me. I'm kind of torn, it's on my Block II FSP, but it'll probably end up on what I build out of the ODG mk16 I bought. Either that, or the PST..
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By swamperator:

I owned both, I kept the PST gen II, the extra 2x is very useful, plus I like a mil reticle. the Steiner is a really good optic and the glass, weight, and size were awesome, but 4x, and wonky turrets and the kind of cheap feel to the construction made me keep the Viper. I like the PST gen II so much I ended up buying a Razor while they were on sale, albeit in the JM-1 reticle. I love the construction of it, the glass, and the weight doesn't bother me. I'm kind of torn, it's on my Block II FSP, but it'll probably end up on what I build out of the ODG mk16 I bought. Either that, or the PST..
View Quote
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I love the Steiner and just didn't know if the PST would really be a step up or not.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
brrrrruh

oh and atlas
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:51:55 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
Nice beginnings...who makes that rail and whats the length?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:

View Quote
Looks like a Midwest Industries logo, but nearly all of their FF stuff tends to have 2 bolts at the bottom.

In for details.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:17:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheManimal] [#19]
Looks like a Midwest Industries logo, but nearly all of their FF stuff tends to have 2 bolts at the bottom.

In for details.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

In for details.
Knights Armament URX 4 MLOK. ETA: looks like the 10.75"

It would be my favorite rail...if it wasn't such a bitch to install.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#20]
KAC URX 4 10.75” w/ 11.5” Barrel.. Looks IDENTICAL to what I have..
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#21]

In for details.
View All Quotes

In for details.
That is not the MI logo. It's the MLOK logo.

As mentioned its a KAC rail.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice rig, what length barrel and handguard?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
To be fair, the rail isn't that hard to install -- it's getting the gas block into place and tightened down afterwards that can be a real pain in the a$$. Basically, if the MLOK slots don't line up with your gas block screws, you have to Dremel your rail. And forget about pinning your gas block.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:
To be fair, the rail isn't that hard to install -- it's getting the gas block into place and tightened down afterwards that can be a real pain in the a$$. Basically, if the MLOK slots don't line up with your gas block screws, you have to Dremel your rail. And forget about pinning your gas block.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

Don't forget about the shim guessing game. Don't get me wrong, same goes for the ALG rails and I love both the EMRs and URX 4s. I guess I'm just spoiled by the ease of installation on Geisseles.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Handguard is a medium KAC FF RAS, so around 10 3/8”, and the barrel is a BA 6.5G 12” barrel that was cut down to around 11.3”.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
Handguard is a medium KAC FF RAS, so around 10 3/8”, and the barrel is a BA 6.5G 12” barrel that was cut down to around 11.3”.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cdholmes:

So am I supposed to call my medium ff Ras an RIS II now?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

So am I supposed to call my medium ff Ras an RIS II now?
View Quote
This is the picture he quoted, not the RIS II build.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:06:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BNW] [#28]

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/021024940703/media/124298392260/large/1543931139/enhance

View Quote
That MK1 rail is wicked

ETA: are your receivers anodized or cerakoted?  That whole picture rules
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BNW:
That MK1 rail is wicked

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BNW:

That MK1 rail is wicked

Thank you sir!

The lower receiver on the bottom and the upper with the Mk14 are both tan anodized. The 12.5" barreled upper with the ALG V1 rail has a burnt bronze cerakoted receiver.  I like to mix RAL8000, burnt bronze, KAC taupe, Coyote brown, tanodized, etc. You know, like making a FDE stew; Just throw a little bit of everything in the pot
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#30]
11.5 and 14.5
Untitled by T B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TannerB:
11.5 and 14.5
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4874/45488278864_6bd57fa02d_c.jpgUntitled by T B, on Flickr
View Quote
They look good!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Attachment Attached File

Specwar K not pictured
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a hunch, but didn't know if the exact length of the mk14 was a little longer than 13". There's still about a half inch gap from the front of the mk 16 to a muzzle device on a 14.5", though. It's not a big deal, but not 100% what I had in mind. I wonder how a 14" barrel would do?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WEK207:

MK16 is made specifically for 14.5" barrels. Geissele specs the MK16 at 13.5" and the MK14 at 13".

On my 13.7", the muzzle threads start just a hair in front of the 13" MK14.

I don't think you'd want to use a 13.7" barrel with your MK16.
I had a hunch, but didn't know if the exact length of the mk14 was a little longer than 13". There's still about a half inch gap from the front of the mk 16 to a muzzle device on a 14.5", though. It's not a big deal, but not 100% what I had in mind. I wonder how a 14" barrel would do?
BA Hanson 14inch. Just put one in a mk16 for a friend.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#34]
13.7 will probably not work unless the can would somehow fit inside the rail. Heres a picture of a ASR mount on a BA 14inch barrel. Depending on your supressors overlap it may interfere.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By shelbysguns:

BA Hanson 14inch. Just put one in a mk16 for a friend.
View Quote
Thanks, I'm not really doing anything with my rail until the new year, aka bonus check.. aka I'm on vacation until Christmas and kind of tapped already

On that note, I'll wait and see what @Gunslinger manages to put together because he seems to have a plan on getting the suppressor snug. I just recently got my block II(ish) recce together and I'm already getting impatient to get this ODG build together.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Thanks, I'm not really doing anything with my rail until the new year, aka bonus check.. aka I'm on vacation until Christmas and kind of tapped already

On that note, I'll wait and see what @Gunslinger manages to put together because he seems to have a plan on getting the suppressor snug. I just recently got my block II(ish) recce together and I'm already getting impatient to get this ODG build together.
View Quote
I emailed BRT, barrels are expected to be shipped by the end of the month

I have both an extra shim kit and the Accu Washer kit from Precision Armament. Some combination of shims should give me the clearance and also minimize the amount of tolerance stacking (I hope)
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TannerB:
11.5 and 14.5
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4874/45488278864_6bd57fa02d_c.jpgUntitled by T B, on Flickr
View Quote
Nice!  We sure do have a lot of Duratrac and rifle pics
Here's mine:
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Did someone say mini?

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Did someone say mini?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4846/31341952447_3455a2c87c_h.jpg
View Quote
That is it.  I am switching to MLOK, just cuz they look the sweetness.

Well done, as usual
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Alaska511:

That is it.  I am switching to MLOK, just cuz they look the sweetness.

Well done, as usual
View Quote
That's not MLOK
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#42]
youre making me want to spend money
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:26:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#45]
I swear to all fuck that build is cursed.

I noticed my barrel had a lot more carbon under the can than my other guns.  Busted out my feeler gauges and realized my can was tightening against a high spot on the face of the rail rather than the collar.  It had loads of clearance before I shimmed the barrel nut.  My dumbass never rechecked.

I started to tear it down, went to punch out the gas tube and the fucking pin is gone.  WTF.  It shot 100% last time it was out at the range.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#46]

I noticed my barrel had a lot more carbon under the can than my other guns.  Busted out my feeler gauges and realized my can was tightening against a high spot on the face of the rail rather than the collar.  It had loads of clearance before I shimmed the barrel nut.  My dumbass never rechecked.

I started to tear it down, went to punch out the gas tube and the fucking pin is gone.  WTF.  It shot 100% last time it was out at the range.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
Holy shit lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Third time is the charm, right?  That gas tube roll pin blows my mind.  Gun shot perfect last time out lol

Thank God the Ras has zero flex...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:09:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#49]
I haven't watched through the video yet, but saw some interesting tidbits on this carbine in the intro. Thought I'd share. Here's a screenshot and link. Enjoy.

Embedded with Special Forces in Afghanistan | Part 1

Different rifle, from part 2. Can't tell the barrel length, so I don't know of it falls into the mini recce category, but interesting rifle.

Embedded With Special Forces in Afghanistan | Part 2
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:01:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SurtrsFire] [#50]
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:
I haven't watched through the video yet, but saw some interesting tidbits on this carbine in the intro. Thought I'd share. Here's a screenshot and link. Enjoy.

https://i.imgur.com/wgBE67Xh.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpIrVPrdSs

Different rifle, from part 2. Can't tell the barrel length, so I don't know of it falls into the mini recce category, but interesting rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/WlN0doEh.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3rF7weYttU
View Quote
2nd gun appears to be using a noveske nsr mlok rail

maybe noveske lower too, magwell is flared more than milspec
Page / 204
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top