Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2014 6:58:48 AM EDT
thinking about buying ..but need some info about if the gun is original factory....
Magwell marked Colt Sporter Target .223....Has Full stock........My question is it has a 16 inch barrel...after all research and questions the only thing i can find is this model came with a 20" ..I have searched and searched and found no 16 inch info on this colt Barrel stamped 5.56 Nato 1-9 twist..i want to buy it but not if barrel has been replaced..serial number date it around 1978......seller is wanting 1000.00 for it

thanks for any help
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds like the upper was replaced.

its not worth 1k

are you sure its a colt barrel? does it have the c/mp
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#2]
will find out for sure today..was thinking the same thing...the c/mp is on the barrel or front site?
thanks
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#3]
On barrel
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#4]
suppose it does have c/mp on the barrel? doesnt mean its the original being a 16 inch barrel..correct?..like i said all i can find are 20 inch..thanks for all the help
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I am betting it is a replacement upper, not just a replacement barrel. I've seen several local ads over the years where guys have paired a Colt lower to a low rent upper assembly, and tried to pass it off as a factory built Colt rifle. If you're not opposed to a 16" barrel, I'd just buy a brand new Colt LE6920 for under $900.00 and call it a day. That way you are getting a brand new Colt rifle and know the quality level of the components. I don't mind a home built rifle, as long as I know exactly what parts are in it from top to bottom. In this case it sounds like there would be a lot of questions. Certainly not worth a $1,000.00 gamble. Honestly, if you are questioning the make of the barrel... How much do you know about the bolt carrier group, etc on this particular rifle? Besides, do you really want a 1/9 barrel over a 1/7?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#6]
why buy a 35 year old rifle that has been dicked with and is not an NFA item....just get a new 6920 lol
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am betting it is a replacement upper, not just a replacement barrel. I've seen several local ads over the years where guys have paired a Colt lower to a low rent upper assembly, and tried to pass it off as a factory built Colt rifle. If you're not opposed to a 16" barrel, I'd just buy a brand new Colt LE6920 for under $900.00 and call it a day. That way you are getting a brand new Colt rifle and know the quality level of the components. I don't mind a home built rifle, as long as I know exactly what parts are in it from top to bottom. In this case it sounds like there would be a lot of questions. Certainly not worth a $1,000.00 gamble. Honestly, if you are questioning the make of the barrel... How much do you know about the bolt carrier group, etc on this particular rifle? Besides, do you really want a 1/9 barrel over a 1/7?
View Quote

Please don't add to the 1n7 vs 1n9 BS that is so popular right now. The average shooter would never be able to tell the difference between the two. They will both stabilize 55gr bullets. A grand wasn't out of line a year ago, but right now prices have hit rock bottom, it is for sure a buyers market.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I would pass and as others said and spend that on a real deal, either a new colt or fn 16/20".
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
why buy a 35 year old rifle that has been dicked with and is not an NFA item....just get a new 6920 lol
View Quote

This.  Absolutely zero reason to purchase that rifle that has an unknown round count and unknown modifications to it.

ETA:  Unless it was being sold for a ridiculously good price.  $1,000 doesn't come anywhere near that qualification.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Please don't add to the 1n7 vs 1n9 BS that is so popular right now. The average shooter would never be able to tell the difference between the two. They will both stabilize 55gr bullets. A grand wasn't out of line a year ago, but right now prices have hit rock bottom, it is for sure a buyers market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not looking to add to any BS. I am simply pointing out that the general consensus seems to be that the AR purchasing market seems to favor the 1/7 twist barrel over the 1/9 twist barrel. Whether the 1/7 offers better performance with heavy bullets at long range, or not, most folks seem to prefer the 1/7. I've even seen a fair number of folks equate a 1/9 barrel with the lower end brands. Not saying its true. But, perception has a lot to do with resale value. Resale value has a lot to do with the guns I spend my money on.
 My main point was that a 6920 for less than $900.00 brand new would undoubtedly be better than the rifle the OP was considering.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:18:24 AM EDT
[#11]
No way in hell I would pay $1000 for something like that, when you can get a brand new Colt for $800 right now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No way in hell I would pay $1000 for something like that, when you can get a brand new Colt for $800 right now.
View Quote

where ? my son is looking to buy a new AR-15/M4 for home and farm usage/protection.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

where ? my son is looking to buy a new AR-15/M4 for home and farm usage/protection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA. 6720s for $799
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am betting it is a replacement upper, not just a replacement barrel...
View Quote

I doubt the whole upper was replaced.  A Colt Sporter would have a large front takedown pin.  Were there any aftermarket uppers built with the large pin?  Unless the upper is attached using an offset pin, I'd vote it was the original Colt upper with a replacement barrel.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#15]
the word "target" on the lower makes me think its newer than a SP2 (.311" pivot pin) or 1978, I'd recheck the number.
you might have a  R6530.

that price does seem high, but how much will a Bushmaster resale for?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
the word "target" on the lower makes me think its newer than a SP2 (.311" pivot pin) or 1978, I'd recheck the number.
you might have a  R6530.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/1/1e/AR15_Sporter_II_Lightweight.jpg/800px-AR15_Sporter_II_Lightweight.jpg

View Quote

The Colt R-6530 says
 SPORTER
 lightweight
 Cal. .223
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
thinking about buying ..but need some info about if the gun is original factory....
Magwell marked Colt Sporter Target .223....Has Full stock........My question is it has a 16 inch barrel...after all research and questions the only thing i can find is this model came with a 20" ..I have searched and searched and found no 16 inch info on this colt Barrel stamped 5.56 Nato 1-9 twist..i want to buy it but not if barrel has been replaced..serial number date it around 1978......seller is wanting 1000.00 for it

thanks for any help
View Quote

With the lower dating back to 1978 it is a pre ban and highly desirable in a few states...like mine for instance making it worth quite a bit of money to some people behind the lines regardless of what it has for an upper.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

With the lower dating back to 1978 it is a pre ban and highly desirable in a few states...like mine for instance making it worth quite a bit of money to some people behind the lines regardless of what it has for an upper.
View Quote

It seems timing is everything. I had an unfired Colt Sporter II that I was trying to sell 7 years ago. It didn't seem like there was much demand, but it finally went to a guy in NY for $1000.  Had I known and held on to it for another year, I could have sold it for double that, the day after BHO was elected.  

Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Colt R-6530 says
 SPORTER
 lightweight
 Cal. .223
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you might have a  R6530.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/1/1e/AR15_Sporter_II_Lightweight.jpg/800px-AR15_Sporter_II_Lightweight.jpg

The Colt R-6530 says
 SPORTER
 lightweight
 Cal. .223

yeah. i got a chance to look it up in "Black Rifle II"
seems all the "Sporter Target's" were early '90's vintage, then ban time they were changed to "Match Target".

i would definitely recheck the serial number, i just don't think it's a '78.

it's that word "target" on it.

and for whatever reason, even though it makes little sense, a Colt's lower can sell for very close to the same price as a complete rifle.

i personally have sold 2 in the $650 range, there is a 6921 lower with "rare restricted LEO roll marks" for sale now in the EE for $850.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.  Absolutely zero reason to purchase that rifle that has an unknown round count and unknown modifications to it.

ETA:  Unless it was being sold for a ridiculously good price.  $1,000 doesn't come anywhere near that qualification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And again. +1
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a Colt Sporter Target Model R6551, they have a prefix serial numbers of ST and I bought mine brand new when they first came out in 1991.

The uppers were 20" barrels government profile under the handguards, A2 carry handles, top of barrel in front of the front sight base are marked "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7", A2 flash suppressors, except they don't have bayonet lugs.

My particular lower was an early production with large pivot pin, large hammer & trigger pins, have fence around the mag release button, A2 fixed buttstock, but no protruding steel sear block in the lower receiver, the later versions had sear blocks.

The Sporter Target Model replaced the former model Government Model rifle R6550 20" barrel (1991 or even late 1990), then the Target Model was replaced by the Match Target series during the start of the assault weapons ban of 1994.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top