Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2014 1:00:37 AM EDT
I just grabbed a AAC upper off of Midwayusa and was wondering how that company compares to BCM? I have a 16" BCM middy with DD lite rail II and am trying to figure out what kind of expectations that I should set for this new upper. Below is the specs for the AAC.

AAC 16" 5.56 upper with AAC Blackout Flash Hider and a long KAC URX 3.1 rail (includes BCG) for $599.40

Technical Information
Upper Receiver: A3 Flat-Top
Barrel Length: 16"
Barrel Contour: Medium
Barrel Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel
Muzzle Thread Pattern: 1/2-28 TPI
Chrome Lined: No
Barrel Finish: Black Nitride / Melonite
Twist Rate: 1 in 7"
Chamber: 5.56 NATO
M4 Feed Ramps: Yes
Muzzle Device: AAC 51-T Blackout Flash Hider
Gas System Length: Mid Length
Gas Block Diameter: 0.750"
Handguard: Knight's Armament URX 3.1 Quad Rail, Free Float
Sights: None
Bolt Carrier Assembly Included: Yes
Bolt Carrier Type: Mil-Spec, Nickel Boron Finish
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Since the specs are so much the same, I guess you can expect similar performance to your BCM upper. I think the AAC comes with a better rail and I like Melonite barrels better than chrome lined, but that's just personal preference.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I looked at the deal. 4150  barrel, older technology rail compared to lighter KMR, but other than that, I almost pulled the trigger. But I have other AR's in the stable that is getting to be crowded  I like my 3 BC's 2 PSA, 1,KAC SR15E3 Mod 1, and a long range from SI defense, plus I am building one with a Ranier arm barrel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:14:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Is a 4150 barrel bad?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is a 4150 barrel bad?
View Quote

Nope, it'll serve you fine.  That is a mighty fine upper and you will most likely not notice any discernible difference between it and a BCM.  I saw that deal and almost picked one up myself.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:38:27 AM EDT
[#5]
No experience with AAC, just so that's out of the way.  I don't think I'd have any issue with running their guns.  However, I've had a couple BCM guns and a lot of their components.  Their quality is outstanding, and they stand behind their products. They're built to be run as hard or harder than anything out there.  Paul is a great guy, and I know there were some issues when AAC was bought that might leave a sour taste for some people.  

The truth is in the shooting, though.  If it runs well, priced right, and has the right features, you're not making a mistake.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Would it be possible that AAC rifles are made by a freedom group company such as Remington?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The BCM has a very slight edge in this comparison due to the rail.
Either barrel would suit you well, the KMR just has a greater modularity than the URX.
The AAC Blackout flash hider is an outstanding piece. I have one pinned on my 14.5" BCM lightweight upper.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Personally I like the URX a lot more than the KMR, the KMR is a magnesium alloy and it's so light weight it's pretty brittle compared to the URX, plus Keymod is a fad I can't get into. I have an AAC 300blk and its shoot very well, I also have some BCM bbls that are fine as well
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
That's a hell of a deal on a nice upper.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Personally I like the URX a lot more than the KMR, the KMR is a magnesium alloy and it's so light weight it's pretty brittle compared to the URX, plus Keymod is a fad I can't get into. I have an AAC 300blk and its shoot very well, I also have some BCM bbls that are fine as well
View Quote

The KMR has been quite extensively tested, so if there were issues with durability, we'd have heard about it by now.

I don't begrudge you for preferring the URX to the KMR, but the KMR is going to hold up just fine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
your choice is better imho, barrel alone puts you over the top

rails are all personal choice
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Is a 4150 barrel bad?
View Quote

No, its better than 4140 (for military applications, high round count, full auto etc) but there's not much in it.

Your average person would never know the difference.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh,.....I love the URX 3.1, but I like the URX 4 even better. The KMR is a slightly different "key mod" design.
Put the URX 4 on the AAC and that would be my pick of the two. But as they are, the BCM gets my vote, if only by a slight edge.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:48:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Well it sounds like I should no be disappointed. I bought it on the spur of a moment with very little research. So, now I feel like I didn't make a bad decision. Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#15]
You could not have gone wrong with either choice.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Is the price on this really $599? I'm seeing $999. $599 is a steal for that upper.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is the price on this really $599? I'm seeing $999. $599 is a steal for that upper.
View Quote

Yeah, am seeing the same. Is there a coupon code? Or did the deal just end?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it was only on Friday, and only for a limited number of them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Yea. The most that I saw in stock was 22 and they were gone in about an hour. I had to do a lot of convincing to he ol'lady real quick to get one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#20]
yeah I had one in the cart at 599 and before I could finish checking out it changed back to $999. I was pissed, missed out by seconds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#21]
That my friend blows.. I'm sure there will be a ton more deals before the Black Friday is over.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top