Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2014 12:48:36 AM EDT
hello guy's, new to the board along with the A/R style rifle's, i picked up a M&P-15 in 5.56 love the gun, i decided to add a fire field free float quad rail & a low profile gas block, the problem is now the gun wont cycle.. tonight i loaded a clip to go shoot it an she fired 5-7 round's, then i got a click so i pulled the charge handle back, it loaded a new round pulled the trigger bang, went to pull it again & all i got was a click, so every time i fire it i got to Manuel eject each shell.. please help guy's!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the gas block isn't lined up properly with the gas port on the rifle. Who installed the rail and gas block?

Also, it's called a magazine, not a clip.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#2]
my bad mag.. i installed it my self.. i have built a few 22's so not new to the gun world.. i have had the gas block on & off trying to get it right, the hole on the gas block is good sized so wouldnt it have to be a mile off to not work??
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#3]
How did it cycle before the change?

Are you using low power Tula ammo?

Is it lubed well?

If the gas block is not the issue, shitty ammo and no lube will cause a short stroke.  Good mags?  Did you try another mag?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:26:26 AM EDT
[#4]
im using a pmag, ammo is pmc, shot great before i did the swap,.. lubed it last night good... did not try a different mag as this 1 has never gave me any problem's.. like i said it shot great for a few round's then stopped... i have checked & recheked the hole on the barrel & every thing should be lined up, i mean i dont got a caliper or nothing but using the (redneck ruler) it seem's like it should be
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:37:00 AM EDT
[#5]
What gas block are you using? I ask because the rail you chose shouldn't be used in a real firearm. It's cheap airsoft crap.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#6]
the gas block was bought off amazon talked to a few guy's & said they are good??
... the rail seem's to hold up good.. was a budget build so used what i could aford..
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but these are the kinds of problems that happen when you buy REALLY cheap parts. I know from experience.

I'm guessing that it's a combination of the parts and you being new to the AR15 platform.

I can't help but think that the gas block is rotating and coming loose after a few rounds have been fired thru it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Got links to where you bought them? Where at in mt?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:01:56 AM EDT
[#9]
What turbineguy said. Your gas port on barrel/gas port on gas block arent aligned properly. Start by eyeballing the block at the dead on 12 oclock position, and force it all the way rearward to the shoulder of the barrel, if that is where it is now, it needs to be moved forward while keeping that 12 oclock position
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:02:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but these are the kinds of problems that happen when you buy REALLY cheap parts. I know from experience.

I'm guessing that it's a combination of the parts and you being new to the AR15 platform.

I can't help but think that the gas block is rotating and coming loose after a few rounds have been fired thru it.
View Quote

Agreed. This is why they say buy once, cry once man.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:03:17 AM EDT
[#11]
because i bought a $60.00 quad rail instead of a $200+??? like i said it's a budget build seem's to work for my need's,.. if you know of a decent priced gas block please let me know..
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
because i bought a $60.00 quad rail instead of a $200+??? like i said it's a budget build seem's to work for my need's,.. if you know of a decent priced gas block please let me know..
View Quote

Gas-Block

eta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8r-uU26xjY

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Gas-Block
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gas-Block

This...^ plus a dozen other good quality gas block available from 30-60 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:26:42 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, how did you secure your gas block? Since it cycled the first few rounds before turning into a single-shot, it sounds like the gas block shifted while firing. Did you use any thread-locker on the screws or gas block to keep it in place after torqueing it down?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:32:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP, how did you secure your gas block? Since it cycled the first few rounds before turning into a single-shot, it sounds like the gas block shifted while firing. Did you use any thread-locker on the screws or gas block to keep it in place after torqueing it down?
View Quote

This times a million.  If for some reason there is some play in the rail with it being cheap, I could foresee it possibly deflecting enough to move the gas block out of position, but your problems are most likely not because of the rail.  Use some loctite or rocksett on the gas block set screws to make sure the screws don't back out, or even better, send off the barrel to have it dimpled for the set screw.

Make sure the gas block is lined up at the 12 o'clock position and remember with the FSB on there was a handguard end cap spacing the FSB away from the gas block shoulder.  If you've got the gas block pushed all the way up against the seat, you're cutting off gas flow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:13:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

If your needs include a rifle that no longer works, then I guess your needs have been met.

When I searched "low profile gas block" on Amazon, I don't think anything above $20 showed up on the first page of results. There are times when it is okay to go the cheap route. Buying parts that a rifle needs to properly function isn't one of those times.

The best option is to cut down the front sight base that came with the rifle and use that instead of a low profile one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If your needs include a rifle that no longer works, then I guess your needs have been met.

When I searched "low profile gas block" on Amazon, I don't think anything above $20 showed up on the first page of results. There are times when it is okay to go the cheap route. Buying parts that a rifle needs to properly function isn't one of those times.

The best option is to cut down the front sight base that came with the rifle and use that instead of a low profile one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope it's not aluminum.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I would put the FSB back on and get a used knights rail from the EE...,,you can find them for $80. That way you Will have a rail, like you want, and the gun will function.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds like the gas block isn't lined up properly with the gas port on the rifle. Who installed the rail and gas block?

View Quote

Thank you!

OP, the gas block is off. If the rifle worked fine before the rail and gas block then the new low profile gas block is not aligned properly. Most low pro gas blocks account for some degree of variance. Who installed the gas block and what is the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

HERE

This gas block is awesome, used (3) set screws, I've had one for (5) years and it has never moved or caused a malfunction... If you like your rail then keep it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thank you!

OP, the gas block is off. If the rifle worked fine before the rail and gas block then the new low profile gas block is not aligned properly. Most low pro gas blocks account for some degree of variance. Who installed the gas block and what is the manufacturer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

OP already stated he installed it himself.

OP I have to agree with these other guys. Get yourself a decent gas block and try again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hope it's not aluminum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope it's not aluminum.

I have never seen that happen before. Chinese shit???
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#23]
any of you guy's run this?? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-YHM-9383 yes mine is the aluminum :( read a few good review's on it & thought it would be good.. yankee hill i hear is a good quality brand is it not??
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
any of you guy's run this?? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-YHM-9383 yes mine is the aluminum :( read a few good review's on it & thought it would be good.. yankee hill i hear is a good quality brand is it not??
View Quote

I only have experience with their flash hiders/comp's... Buty yea, they are pretty good in that regards...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got links to where you bought them? Where at in mt?
View Quote

The cool thing about this site is that some member is normally close by and willing to help whether you come to them or visa versa.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#26]
im located in libby montana.. if this will work then i will order it.. hate being with out my rifle, specially went hunting season opened today :(
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
im located in libby montana.. if this will work then i will order it.. hate being with out my rifle, specially went hunting season opened today :(
View Quote

Post a picture of your rifle and gas block if possible. Cheap gas blocks that fit tight usually work fine........at least for a while. I buy steel gas blocks in despite the fact that I know highly regarded custom gun builders that use aluminum.

You removed the front hand guard shim before installing the gas block? Did you measure the distance to the gas port and compare it with the distance inside the gas block to make sure they align? Was the gas block installed as straight as possible. Did you buy a float tube that clamp mounts to the original barrel nut or did you have to remove the old barrel nut and install a new proprietary barrel nut? Is the gas tube aligned in the upper receiver and through the barrel nut without binding anywhere? Was the barrel nut torqued to a minimum of 35 foot pounds of force?

Somewhere in this process you created a problem that didn't exist before. Careful inspection should get you to the solution of this problem.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely agree. Ports are guaranteed to line up and itll still be a pinned block. 60 dollar quad rails are top of the line and everything you say should be considered suspect
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#29]
hammer spring may be in backwards if it was a light strike. .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top