Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2014 9:18:32 PM EDT
Im overhauling my RRA operator, throwing on a new 14.5 barrel with a 2.5 inch compensator so it'll be over the 16" requirement. Obviously the compensator has to be permanently attached in order to meet that requirement. The problem is, with the amount of money I'm putting into the new upper i don't want to be limited to one specific free float barrel (since once the comp is pinned you can't remove the gas block in order to change out the barrel nut for different rails).And i like experimenting with various rails. Im trying to find a gas block short enough to allow the average barrel nut to pass over. Barrels a .750. Thanks in advance for your input!

_MPCORPS_
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You need something like this http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=639659
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
There isn't one.  The hole in the barrel nut is roughly 1" in diameter.  With a .750 gas block journal that's only leaving you with a quarter inch.  Now figure that you've got an eighth inch on the bottom for the set screws.  The gas tube itself is 3/16s.  So even if you found a gas block that sets the gas tube right against the barrel, there still isn't enough room.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

AR Performamce also makes some under .750 muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks perfect, just cant find any to purchase online. But i feel being 2 piece lessens its durability compared to a one piece design. Any ideas on a really slim one piece block?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That looks perfect, just cant find any to purchase online. But i feel being 2 piece lessens its durability compared to a one piece design. Any ideas on a really slim one piece block?
View Quote

CMMG makes the smalles gas block available.  It still won't work for what you want.  Read my post above.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no such thing.  Look at your barrel assembly with the HG removed.  See how that gas tube passes over the nut?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is no such thing.  Look at your barrel assembly with the HG removed.  See how that gas tube passes over the nut?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gas tube doesn't matter.  It can be installed and removed with the gas block and barrel nut still in place.  You could possibly make a .625 gas block small enough, you'd need a custom gas tube with a little extra bend in it though.  There just isn't enough room to do it with a .750 gas block.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Gas tube doesn't matter.  It can be installed and removed with the gas block and barrel nut still in place.  You could possibly make a .625 gas block small enough, you'd need a custom gas tube with a little extra bend in it though.  There just isn't enough room to do it with a .750 gas block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was speaking of the diameter of that nut in relation to the height of the gas block on a .750.  I realize there is a bend, and owning several pinned 14.5s, I have longed for a solution.  Was just trying to give him a visual to understand it is no bueno.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
owning several pinned 14.5s, I have longed for a solution.  
View Quote

The Manimal from VooDoo Innovations posted above is one solutions, here's another

http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/2121/21480
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Manimal from VooDoo Innovations posted above is one solutions, here's another

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it is viable, the damn thing just looks like hell IMO.   So, I went the long way around on one of them...Form 1.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, it is viable, the damn thing just looks like hell IMO.   So, I went the long way around on one of them...Form 1.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best way to go IMO, I need to send off a few more checks
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just added 2 more to my schedule A [facepalm]

All my 14.5s but one will be stamped.  Since I am new to the suppressor crew, I have to change the FHs to those ugly ass Blackouts, anyway, so I thought I might as well NOT have to pin them.

This is my rational train of thought at work
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Im overhauling my RRA operator, throwing on a new 14.5 barrel with a 2.5 inch compensator so it'll be over the 16" requirement. Obviously the compensator has to be permanently attached in order to meet that requirement. The problem is, with the amount of money I'm putting into the new upper i don't want to be limited to one specific free float barrel (since once the comp is pinned you can't remove the gas block in order to change out the barrel nut for different rails).And i like experimenting with various rails. Im trying to find a gas block short enough to allow the average barrel nut to pass over. Barrels a .750. Thanks in advance for your input!

_MPCORPS_
View Quote

Send the barrel nut with the barrel and gas block to the gunsmith doing the work. He can slip the barrel nut on the barrel after he shortens it and install the gas block before he welds the flash hider in place. It will be ready to install when you receive it. Have him use masking tape to hold the barrel nut in place during shipment so it doesn't mar the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Send the barrel nut with the barrel and gas block to the gunsmith doing the work. He can slip the barrel nut on the barrel after he shortens it and install the gas block before he welds the flash hider in place. It will be ready to install when you receive it. Have him use masking tape to hold the barrel nut in place during shipment so it doesn't mar the barrel.
View Quote

This was the direction I was going, then I decided to get a 14.5 LW with .750 gas and use the Voodoo Manimal FH so I can disassemble any time I might want to...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Adams arms/hulda/voodoo manimal is about the only solution if you want to be able to swap gas blocks and barrel nuts. brownells also sells a .750 OD comp. I couldn't find one for sale anywhere so I emailed Adams arms and they hooked me up with 2 of them even though they showed out of stock. good peoples over there.

hit the whole barrel with some bake on high temp engine paint after this and it came out nice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There isn't one.  The hole in the barrel nut is roughly 1" in diameter.  With a .750 gas block journal that's only leaving you with a quarter inch.  Now figure that you've got an eighth inch on the bottom for the set screws.  The gas tube itself is 3/16s.  So even if you found a gas block that sets the gas tube right against the barrel, there still isn't enough room.
View Quote

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top