Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2014 4:51:29 PM EDT
Hello all, Ive been researching for a while and I think that I have pieced together what I want to do for my first build.  I would appreciate any help or criticism on this parts list such as ways to save some money, or maybe pointing out some places in which some money should be spent.  I dont really have specific goals for this rifle, but if I had to choose I would say that it is a budget SHTF combat rifle/training rifle, that I can also use for some pest control.  I already have the MI gen II ss 15" HG that is why you see accessories for it in the wish lists.  Thanks again for the help!

Also, will I want a different buffer for the 300 blk, or will the standard carbine buffer suffice?  I will be using only supersonic ammo because I live in MN, which we all know doesnt allow suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything you have listed should be just fine. Only thing I'd possibly upgrade is the sling. I tried a cheapo single point bungee sling once and HATED it. If you still want a fairly inexpensive one I use a proctor 2 point sling and I love it. Or the magpul slings work great especially if your not sure what kind of sling set up you want (single point or 2 point) as they do both very well. Happy shooting

Eta: wrong flash hider for 300 black
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Im not a big fan of that end plate but it will work just fine. If you don't want QD go with magpul asap or I kick hippies. Also try the Fortis hammer charging handle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im not a big fan of that end plate but it will work just fine. If you don't want QD go with magpul asap or I kick hippies. Also try the Fortis hammer charging handle.
View Quote

The Pro-Mag end plate is busted, find a new/better one that won't get in the way of your thumb when operating the selector when the rifle is shouldered. Also, the ERGO grip you have is a total piece of shit. I should know because I ordered a complete "Iraq" lower (that was cheaper than I could build one for), for a build for my step-father that came with said grip. It sucked, was sticky, and uncomfortable; I took it off and promptly threw it in the trash and replaced it with a Spikes A2 takeoff... Everything else looks ok though. Maybe upgrade to a Magpul MS1 sling and I think everything else is ok OP...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Pro-Mag end plate is busted, find a new/better one that won't get in the way of your thumb when operating the selector when the rifle is shouldered. Also, the ERGO grip you have is a total piece of shit. I should know because I ordered a complete "Iraq" lower (that was cheaper than I could build one for), for a build for my step-father that came with said grip. It sucked, was sticky, and uncomfortable; I took it off and promptly threw it in the trash and replaced it with a Spikes A2 takeoff... Everything else looks ok though. Maybe upgrade to a Magpul MS1 sling and I think everything else is ok OP...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Ergo grip is awesome.  We cannot disagree more.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love mine too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
That A2 flash hider almost definitely won't work on your 300 BLK barrel.   Check the thread pattern on both, blackouts are usually 5/8x24.  You need one that would fit a 308.  

Ditch the end-plate for a better one (like a Noveske with the recessed QD socket) and consider a non bungee sling.  Most people don't like bungee slings after they try them.  Look at a Viking Tactics two-point sling, you might just save your nuts from a good racking.

The rest seems ok.  Personally I wouldn't get a blemished upper when good non-blems are affordable (try an Aero Precision)

Expect basically zero gap between the end of your handguard and your muzzle device.  16" barrels are more like 15.4 before the threading, and there usually another 0.3 or so of overlap.

Also probably better to look at some folding backup sights instead of those fixed irons.  You don't gain anything from going fixed other than eliminating your ability to mount a scope over your rear sight down the road.  Better to buy folding now, even tho they may cost a small amount more if you have any aspirations for an optic in the future.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also, the ERGO grip you have is a total piece of shit.
View Quote

The one that came on my LMT lower is my favorite grip. It's slim, super grippy, and extremely comfortable. I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Everything you have listed should be just fine. Only thing I'd possibly upgrade is the sling. I tried a cheapo single point bungee sling once and HATED it.
View Quote

I would agree with this. Get a padded VCAS.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The one that came on my LMT lower is my favorite grip. It's slim, super grippy, and extremely comfortable. I would buy another in a heartbeat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Ergo grips ftw!
" />
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Ergo grips ftw!
http://<a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/mitchellcj58/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4dfcd75c.jpg</a>" />

Oh what the heck. Take note, OP. Ergo grips are awesome. Buy it and enjoy the rubbery goodness (and this is also the sling you should buy instead of that cheap single point, along with the optic, rail, and light you should buy too).

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh what the heck. Take note, OP. Ergo grips are awesome. Buy it and enjoy the rubbery goodness (and this is also the sling you should buy instead of that cheap single point, along with the optic, rail, and light you should buy too).

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/20140816_182431-1-1_zpszxk5qnun.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Ergo grips ftw!
http://<a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/mitchellcj58/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4dfcd75c.jpg</a>" />

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/20140816_182431-1-1_zpszxk5qnun.jpg

Niiiiiiiiiice
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The  ms4  kit with 2 qd swimagpulqdls is good too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Am I the only one that thought the caliper choice was odd? Mostly because of the mention of SHTF scenario (or maybe you said HD....either way) and if it is your only AR. I'd do 556 then build an SBR (or pistol if your state does not allow) in 300blk.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that thought the caliper choice was odd? Mostly because of the mention of SHTF scenario (or maybe you said HD....either way) and if it is your only AR. I'd do 556 then build an SBR (or pistol if your state does not allow) in 300blk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Shoot, I didn't notice the caliber. I would definitely go with 5.56, especially for a first build. Unless OP reloads and plans on suppressing/SBRing it ASAP, I wouldn't even consider 300. Ammo availability and price being the two driving factors there. Just saw where you said you can't own suppressors. You DEFINITELY should go with 5.56 then.

Quoted:
I will be using only supersonic ammo because I live in MN, which we all know doesnt allow suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing wrong with the Ergo

please explain the caliber choice again?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad has 4 5.56 ar's that are mine to shoot when I want.  I wanted something with a little more punch, and I am not very concerned with long range shots. I also have everything needed to reload. Also, as someone mentioned that I should do a pistol build, sadly I cannot.  Im 19 and in MN you cannot own handguns until age 21.  But thanks for all of the great advice!  I will definitely ditch the cheapo sling and plate.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]
One more question, is there a downside to having a 300 blk carbine with 16" barrel?  Everyone seems to be on the sbr or pistol bandwagon here?  Also, being that I am 19 and still in school, Im trying to keep this as much of a budget build while still maintaining a decent level of quality.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want to run something other than a 5.56 and can't run suppressed, why not look at a .308 build?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Already have one, and Im really not a huge fan of it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
What do you not like about the.308 and hope to gain with the.300?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#21]
more ammo capacity for a given weight, faster follow up shots, less recoil, and this build is much lighter
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
more ammo capacity for a given weight, faster follow up shots, less recoil, and this build is much lighter
View Quote

Well, sounds like your only option at this point is to move to a free state
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One more question, is there a downside to having a 300 blk carbine with 16" barrel?  Everyone seems to be on the sbr or pistol bandwagon here?  Also, being that I am 19 and still in school, Im trying to keep this as much of a budget build while still maintaining a decent level of quality.
View Quote

It's just unnecessary length and weight usually.  300 blk  performs pretty good out of shorter barrels and usually the guns are being built into nfa guns with suppressor which are going to add 4-6 inches anyways.

Since you can't have a suppressor, or a pistol I think 300 blk is kind of a waste but since you have other 5.56's it doesn't hurt anything.

Alternatively have you considered your dad legally owning the gun for the next 2 years? Then you could build a 300 pistol.

I know here in nh you can't buy a pistol from an  ffl  until you're  21, but you can buy them private sale or inherit them after 18.  And get your ccw permit at 18
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Need a flash hider that will work with the caliber choice.

Ditch the end plate and sling.  Ikickhippies end plate if you don't need a quick detach.  If you do need quick detach, I have had good luck with the noveske end plate (I know brownells has them).  Single point slings will piss you off on a rifle of that size and weight.  2-point slings like the VCAS, VTAC, etc...will make you happer in the long run
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everything you have listed should be just fine. Only thing I'd possibly upgrade is the sling. I tried a cheapo single point bungee sling once and HATED it.

ANY VCAS for that matter.  Worlds better than the majority of other 2 points out there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Im really confused now, I think my only choice is to buy two uppers, one in 5.56 and one in 300 blackout  I think I will start with the 300 black out though.  Ive seen good and bad reviews on this round, but to me I like the thought of a larger heavier projectile.  If I were to ever be in an engagement (which I doubt will ever happen) I wouldnt expect it to be anything past 100 yards, any further and the bolt guns are coming out.  So is the 300 blk a good round for me?  I wont be shooting it much, so ammo is not a huge issue, and it seems that if bought in bulk in can be had for around 50 cents a round, which is what I see a lot of the 5.56 priced at.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I see 556 for about 33 cents a round, less if you'll use steel case. But since you reload these prices are less relevant.

The 300 blk  is a great round, I just don't think it's the best solution for your circumstance.  I think if you want a bad ass 300 blk gun  a braced pistol is the way to go. Just have your dad do the transfer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Im really confused now, I think my only choice is to buy two uppers, one in 5.56 and one in 300 blackout  I think I will start with the 300 black out though.  Ive seen good and bad reviews on this round, but to me I like the thought of a larger heavier projectile.  If I were to ever be in an engagement (which I doubt will ever happen) I wouldnt expect it to be anything past 100 yards, any further and the bolt guns are coming out.  So is the 300 blk a good round for me?  I wont be shooting it much, so ammo is not a huge issue, and it seems that if bought in bulk in can be had for around 50 cents a round, which is what I see a lot of the 5.56 priced at.
View Quote

Do you reload? If not, are you prepared to spend over $1 per round? If you don't reload, bulk practice won't happen unless you're made of money.

Flame on, but if you want a semi auto platform to shoot .30cal bullets out of and a suppressed SBR isnt an option, then you might want to look into an AK in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Why a pistol?  Im a big guy (not fat, body builder) and I guess I just prefer longer guns.  I usually shoot isosceles grip, thats why I have such a long hand guard.  Being 6'4", I sort of have some long arms.  I would like to do an sbr someday though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do you reload? If not, are you prepared to spend over $1 per round? If you don't reload, bulk practice won't happen unless you're made of money.

Flame on, but if you want a semi auto platform to shoot .30cal bullets out of and a suppressed SBR isnt an option, then you might want to look into an AK in 7.62x39.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was actually going to buy an ak, until I picked one up... It was too short for me, didnt much care for the muzzle climb, but Im sure that could be remedied, and Im used to and very comfortable with the ar platform.  Also, being that I have family members that work at the federal plant in anoka, I buy almost exclusively in bulk once a year.  None of them shoot so they are happy to do it for my dad and I.  IIRC federal just came out with a 300 blackout under american eagle?  correct me if I am wrong please.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:33:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why a pistol?  Im a big guy (not fat, body builder) and I guess I just prefer longer guns.  I usually shoot isosceles grip, thats why I have such a long hand guard.  Being 6'4", I sort of have some long arms.  I would like to do an sbr someday though.
View Quote

A pistol with a brace lets you chop the barrel down however short you want and still use a "stock" without Form 1ing the lower.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I was actually going to buy an ak, until I picked one up... It was too short for me, didnt much care for the muzzle climb, but Im sure that could be remedied, and Im used to and very comfortable with the ar platform.  Also, being that I have family members that work at the federal plant in anoka, I buy almost exclusively in bulk once a year.  None of them shoot so they are happy to do it for my dad and I.  IIRC federal just came out with a 300 blackout under american eagle?  correct me if I am wrong please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you insisting on 300blk? What are you hunting that requires the bigger round that 5.56 is inadequate for? You can't suppress it, which is 300blk's claim to fame, so in a longer barrel and unsuppressed, it's essentially a semi auto .30-30 or x39 that will be expensive to feed and difficult to find ammo for other than online.

I've made easy hits on a small silhouette out to 300m with just an Aimpoint and bulk M193 ammo. 5.56 is plenty capable if this will be for 2 legged critters, and 100 yards is absolutely nothing for it. I would build your own 5.56 rifle and enjoy it for what it is. Slap a BCM upper of your choosing on a PSA lower and call it a day.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I agree with you after looking at the ballistics charts and realizing that the 300 blk is not the right choice for me... I would love to do a bcm upper, but the price is kind of putting me off.  I was thinking about doing an all psa build, any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I agree with you after looking at the ballistics charts and realizing that the 300 blk is not the right choice for me... I would love to do a bcm upper, but the price is kind of putting me off.  I was thinking about doing an all psa build, any thoughts on this?
View Quote

This is likely the best opportunity for you to get into a BCM upper, if you can swing it.  Prices including the BCG and a comp are great.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

BCM is well worth the small amount of money they go for compared to other top notch uppers, and they come with a free BCG (worth $180) right now. A complete BCM upper and PSA lower should run you about $700-750.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

BCM is well worth the small amount of money they go for compared to other top notch uppers, and they come with a free BCG (worth $180) right now. A complete BCM upper and PSA lower should run you about $700-750.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts on these?  Im trying to keep cost at a minimum, but I dont have the funds together right now so I cannot get in on the BCM BCG deal.  Total this is ~$890.  I do not want optics either.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thoughts on these?  Im trying to keep cost at a minimum, but I dont have the funds together right now so I cannot get in on the BCM BCG deal.  Total this is ~$890.  I do not want optics either.  
<a href="http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/bumpin101/media/BCMORDER_zps750f55c2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q513/bumpin101/BCMORDER_zps750f55c2.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/bumpin101/media/MIDWAYORDER_zps9954fb10.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q513/bumpin101/MIDWAYORDER_zps9954fb10.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/bumpin101/media/PSAORDER_zps9f58d685.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q513/bumpin101/PSAORDER_zps9f58d685.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/bumpin101/media/BCMORDER_zps750f55c2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q513/bumpin101/BCMORDER_zps750f55c2.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/bumpin101/media/MIDWAYORDER_zps9954fb10.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q513/bumpin101/MIDWAYORDER_zps9954fb10.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/bumpin101/media/PSAORDER_zps9f58d685.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q513/bumpin101/PSAORDER_zps9f58d685.jpg</a>

Does not compute. Your total is $890 so far with all of those random parts.

A complete BCM upper is like $450-500. Add $80 for an MOE handguard and rear BUIS. A complete PSA lower is around $150-170. On the high end, that's $750 total. Much less than the franken-part build you have going on right now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#38]
For your flash hider just upgrade it to one that will let you put a suppressor on. It's not illegal to have that and they are working on passing the use of them if you go the legal way to have one. I live in MN and the shop by me pointed out that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top